Womens Running

World Series Weekend (Over 40) (Read 17 times)

runlikeagirl18

Post!

Cindy

2017 Races: Turkey Strut 5K 11/23, Mistletoe Half Marathon 12/2

runlikeagirl18

Got my last 20-miler in yesterday. I wouldn't say it went well, but it was a slight improvement over the last one. I'm still really struggling with my legs fatiguing, even with a slowed pace. I'm very apprehensive about what it's going to be like to run an additional 6.2 miles. Oh well, I'll get through one way or the other!

I hope everyone has wonderful weekend plans. I'm off to watch DS3's soccer game in very chilly weather, then back home to get ready for DS2's birthday party.

Cindy

2017 Races: Turkey Strut 5K 11/23, Mistletoe Half Marathon 12/2

Anonymous Guest

Good morning!

Cindy, yes, you will have to run 6.2 more. But, you will also be nice and fresh coming off your taper when you do so. Is it going to hurt? Maybe. Maybe not. I remember my first one - the long runs were horribly hard, had to walk a lot in some of them. Race day I started out nice and easy, and although it was pretty tough at times, I never felt as bad as I did on a couple of those really difficult long runs. Trust me, just go out easy come race day and you will surprise yourself. Before you know it, you're a marathoner, getting ready to run her next race in Charleston (see what I did there?).

I'm going to do a short bike ride this morning, then I have PIlates at 11, then I'm going to swing by the early voting place and get that taken care of (living in Maryland and working in DC makes voting on the day logistically harder than it used to be), then a few more errands and maybe a short easy run. Tomorrow I'm going downtown to spectate the Marine Corps Marathon.

Good news and bad news here. Good news is DH took Jake to his follow up appointment at the vet, and he got the all clear. They said he is doing really really well for an almost 14 year old larger dog. Statistically, he's doing well just by being alive, I guess...the hopping and running around playing are added bonuses. Bad news - I got a message from my sister that she and her husband are separating. This is hitting me kind of hard (well, no where near as hard as it is hitting her and her two kids, I'm sure). They got married a year before we did, so 21 years, and they dated for almost 10 years before that (they met in college). I always thought they were pretty solid. They are going to get counseling, so not giving up all hope, but geez.

Oh, I did run 8 miles last night. Next weekend I have a 5 mile race which will be the first time I try to run fast in a long time. It won't be pretty. I just hope I can run fast enough to stay in front of the girl in second place for the series. Then back to my regular "nothing but easy runs until this foot is entirely better" mode.

karen

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

Cindy-you'll do great!  think of marathons in a similar way to childbirth.  First one you really don't know what to expect, you take each part as it comes with no real idea of what to expect beyond what you are experiencing.  Second and beyond, you know what to expect, what things will feel like.  I ran my fastest marathon when I ran my first.

Karen-have fun spectating!!

Lisa

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

Getting ready to run. Puppy pool got cancelled since the heater in the pool broke.

then my Garmin said it was charged but when I pulled it off the charger it wasn't. One of the issues with the 210. So I'm waiting for it to juice up. I could pull my old 110 to use and will if it isn't charged enough.

Marjorie

camille2

This is my third try in past few days, so I'm going to write short ones. I returned to cabin a couple hours ago and my modem won't connect so I'm still using phone.

Cindy, I'm so glad your 20 miler was bettEr!  I think you'll be ok with 2 20's under your belt-those are the tough ones.  Btw...I was in Boone and they have a very nice greenway.  I'm not sure how far it is from your MIL, but it is worth a short drive.

ginnyb

Cindy....you will be fine.

Karen....that is too bad about your sister and DH, hopefully the counseling will help.  Maybe they can work it out.  Good news about Jake though!

I haven't been posting too much this week.  Took off the whole week from running.  Planning on a run tomorrow morning.  It is a gorgeous Fall day here today and I am stuck working, hate when that happens.  Today is one of my GD's 12th birthday, the football player, she has a game today too that I am missing...Darn!  Bragging again, but she has been chosen for the State team, my daughter is not really sure what that means, but it sounds good!!

Lisa.....I think I am with you on the trail races!  I felt so much better after the Half I did with you, of course we did go pretty slow, but  thinking I don't go much faster on the pavement!

Ginny

http://ginnybess.blogspot.com/

6/8 Hatfield/McCoy Half, 8/18 lake Erie Shores and Islands Half, 9/21 Mighty Niagara Half Lewiston, NY, 10/7 Cleveland Rock & Roll Half 10/6 or Detroit Free Press 10/20, A Christmas Story 5 or 10K Cleveland 12/7, Santa Hustle Half Cedar Point 12/15

camille2

Karen.  This is what I tried to post about, but don't think it went and I have to give u credit.  Mt Mitchell. Wow. Just Wow.  That wind!  I sure hope you were sheltered for most of it.  It was howling with gusts to 40 and the ranger said it's often worse, like Mt Washinton. It was 29, which isn't that bad except that it's October in NC. And did I mention the wind. Bitter. I had layers and did the short hike to the lookout, but admit to thinking twice about even that. It was mostly cloudy, but the clouds were whipping by so quickly, I did get a couple quick glimpses of the view.  I'm just super impressed that you did that in Feb.  the rest of the Parkway wa

s just fabulous.

Good luck on the race next weekend.  How much faster do u need to be to win?

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

Finally went and ran 12.1.

Lisa hope the knee is doing better

Cindy another 6.2 seems like a lot but in race day it will be just 6.2 more!  You can do it.

Karen good for you doing early voting

Damaris hope the asthma is better

Ginny I took most the week off from running too. Sometimes it is needed.

Camille what is wrong with the modem?

Marjorie

camille2

Ginny, congrats on your half last weekend!

Gatsby,  I loved the pics! C/ongrats to you on your full.  It looks like you had a great time...more ways than one.

I loved the Blue Ridge Parkway and finished almost all the NC section.  I jog/hiked some trails to waterfalls.  I went to Tahlullah gorge and did the 1099 steps and crossed the suspension bridge Thursday morning . Great place. I met the folks in my community group at noon and we did a big lunch, a short waterfall trail,  nd happy hour with snacks, followed by a big dinner.

.  :  Wink

On Friday, we did another waterfall trail and a few of us did the 7 mile hike to the top.  It was a workout, but worth it. I hadn't been to that area in past, but sure want to go back.  I need to finish unpacking the car.  Back later.

Happy weekend, everyone.  Did 5.5 miles with my RC this morning.  It was faster than I wanted to go since a speedy crowd showed up for the run, but I guess it won't kill me.  Was glad I didn't have to go any further, though.

Lisa, hoping that your knee is just being cranky and it feels better with rest.

Karen, meant to comment earlier that your new house is really coming along well.  Sorry to hear about your sister's marital troubles.  Glad to hear Jake is doing well.

Cindy, well done in getting your last 20 miler done.  Looks like you've been good at sticking to your training plan so I bet you'll get through your marathon just fine.  The mental part of running is harder to train for, so try focusing on that over the final weeks.  Believe in your training!

Camille, I just googled Tallulah Gorge.  Wow, spectacular!  Looks especially gorgeous in the fall.  You'e been doing some great hiking.

Marjorie, glad you sorted our your technology issues.  Too bad no puppy pool for Hammy.

GinnyB, good idea to take it easy this week.  I'm doing the same, except for today when I ventured out.

Waves to everyone else!

4/14/24 Napa Valley 50k, Calistoga, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

Karen I'm the same way when someone separates. When Dh's younger brother separated then divorced it was weird.  They'd been married a few years less than dh and I.

Hi Gatsby. When is your next race?

Marjorie

LC Runs

Hi Ladies!

7 miles for me today - I ran 5 this morning, then another 2 this afternoon.  I ordered a new pair of compression tights and they came in the mail today so I had to test them out   Today marks day 58 of my latest attempt at a running streak

Cindy - great job on the 20 miler.  It seems like you were just signing up for this marathon, funny how fast it goes when you're not the one training for it ha ha!

Karen - sorry to hear about your sister, hope they can work it out.  Glad to hear Jake is doing well, though!!  Good luck at next week's race.

Lisa - great advice to Cindy, my first marathon was my fastest, too and I had such a fun time

Marjorie - great 12.1!

Camille - I keep falling off the posting bandwagon.  I used to have quite a bit of time each morning before work to post and read, now I'm short on time so I often don't get to the site.  But, I think of you all often!!

Ginny - hasn't this weather been divine?  I wish it wouldn't end.  Happy Birthday to your GD!!

Hi Gatsby - nice run!!

Will write more and do personals tomorrow...but did it 32+ miles (forgot to turn on garmin for first two laps 8.1 or so miles).  Forgot to turn it on during the run/walk several times and that was 24.07 miles... I'm beat! Two laps (8.1 miles) in the darkness was interesting and pretty cool. I have one black toe and the other has a massive blood blister.  I'm not sure which big toe is worse.   

Ran/walked the first 6 laps with a friend - Thank you, Leslie. 7th lap alone. 8th lap with DH.

Did the first 28 miles in less than 7 hours, which includes stops at aid stations and a bathroom break (and running the first 8 miles in the dark). Did the last 4 miles with DH in 1 hr 19 min.
                                He averaged less than a 20 mm, which for him is awesome!  I was not complaining about the pace, believe me.

Woohoo RunnersMom!  Great job!  Wouldn't be an ultra without toenail casualties, right?

Nice streak, LC!  My willpower is way too weak to maintain any kind of streak.

Marjorie, next up for me is California International Marathon on 12/7 in Sacramento.

4/14/24 Napa Valley 50k, Calistoga, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR