Womens Running

Trail, not trial Tuesday (Over 40) (Read 17 times)

Congrats again to Susan on her first ultra!!

GatsbyTessa-Folsom Lake looks like the kind of trail I love with lots of ups/downs but none actual long climb mountains.  http://www.trailmarathon.com/images/profiles.pdf This is the 50k that I have done here and the trail we run on fairly often so very similar elevation changes. My sister lives 1:45 from Folsom in Sonoma.  something to think about.  Looks like the drought has changed the landscape there for sure! Duly noting the camber at Big Sur!

Karen-Carpal tunnel from the squeaky toy?  upper body workout? glad the foot is feeling better!

Ginny-talk about a pain in the neck!!  glad it went away!

Marjorie-well you are young at heart so there is that Miss 29 years old.

Camille-the trails you've been on sound wonderful with all of those waterfalls!!

Damaris-DD laughed yesterday about wanting to put a sweatshirt on to go out at night out of force of habit.. it is October.   Didn't keep it on.  She's still loving it, Pollen Vortex and all.

Susan-inclines and rises become hills and mountains after 20 miles.  we understand.  How are you feeling?  It is so much different than a road race, isn't it?  Vibe and feeling!

Laura-I think of trails as easier than roads.. less boring, they don't hurt like roads.  It's not about speed on them as much as on a road.

Judy-hope your week is going well.  what's in the slo-cooker this week?

Did arc rider yesterday.  Will do weights today and maybe run this afternoon.  Have the day off to do stuff around house.  Burning PTO days basically.

Lisa

judyruns

Mighty Mouse

MyMomRuns, I am still enjoying the soup from last week. It stores well in canning jars in the fridge.

The Monday track run was a good 45 minutes, then cardio DVD for 10 minutes at home.

Today will be a track run, then off to see a program about historic cemeteries in our county. It’s a good Hallowe’en lecture to hear.

Happy runs, All!  :::HUGS:::

Where is the "any" key?   

judyruns

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

Thing is I actually don't mind being 48. I'm not one to say I'm younger or to hide my age. Just not my thing. I don't see anything wrong with age. It is just a number.

Be back. Another busy day today. Quincy got me up early with his tummy upset. He has destroyed one if his favorite bones. So the bits of the heavy plastic he digested his tummy didn't like. He is fine now and that bone is in the trash. He is sad it is gone but he has plenty of others.

Marjorie

Anonymous Guest

Too funny, Marjorie, Saturday at Pilates my instructor and I were talking about the advantages of being 50 and how we both thought that would be a good age (for the record, I'm 47 and she's in her early 30s). So I'm with you. DH is 49, and with all the changes and moves and politics going on at his office, he is enjoying being "almost 50". Even if he did something horribly wrong, by the time they initiated the process to fire him, he'd be over 50, and they'd be afraid to fire him because of age discrimination (his company seems to fear that more than most).

Lisa, Mount Diablo is my old stomping grounds. We lived just a few miles from there and could see it outside the front door of our house. I'm sure whatever race you find will be fun. And I'm sure you will indeed find a race!

Rest day for me today. Had to get in early, then have a conference call from 5-6, where once again I am 45 minutes of the hour agenda. So I won't get home until after 7.

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

Good Morning!  5.9 miles.  I almost turned off early, but am glad I went to the Point Park (boat launch) for the extra mile.  When I was coming out of the park, I thought I saw a cat running on the opposite side of the street.  It was a red fox!  He was trotting into the park as I was trotting out.  He didn't seem to mind me at all.

I don't mind telling folks I'm 52.  I think I'm holding up pretty well.  Y'all are too!  Wink

Have a great day!

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I didn't do anything yesterday, as the allergy shot beat the shit out of me.  So, Pilates, weights, and a run with hubby tonight.

Lisa, the weather right now is not our normal weather.  Just remind her in October we are usually still in the 90s.  It has been very nice lately; very weird.

Judy, sounds like a great lecture.  Enjoy!

Marjorie, poor Quincy.  Hope he feels better.

Karen, I don't mind aging.  I can do without all the hormonal shit that comes with it, though.  You ladies will hear me flip out next year when I turn 40, though, ha.

Sue, nice job on the run.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Arimathea

Tessa

Wait what? Damaris, you're a ringer? Not yet 40? Out, OUT!  (I am kidding! Mature at heart are welcome here.)

Lisa, yes, Leona Divide is my back yard. That would be great! (Um...we could do both Leona Divide and Folsom Lake, if you were so inclined -- pun intended.) It is a tough course but it is gorgeous. If Keira's using the same route she did last year because the usual route was closed due to the Powerhouse fire, then most of it is on PCT, some on Spunky Canyon Fire Road. (All right, everyone, make the jokes about the name of the canyon and get them out of the way.) There is about 3 miles of pavement at the start and again at the finish. Yes, it's up and down a lot of hills, but not terrifically awful. And the aid stations are nice. This is an hour away from my house so no hotel cost.

4 miles this morning. Now have to go to a prospect meeting.

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

10.2 for me

Karen our company is afraid of age too. And if you are a women over 50, well, to get fired they need every duck in a row and documentation beyond documentation

D why flip out at 40?  It isn't that bad. My SIL is one that gets all weird about how old she is. We don't get it. My family was always one to be proud of how old you are and what you've done, been through and accomplished.

Sue I think we hold up pretty well too. I often think hmm when my mom was this age I was already out of college etc. seems weird to me. How different I am from how she acted at this age.

Marjorie

Been "enjoying" my day off... cleaning out the remaining "stuff" in two bedrooms that no longer have any need to be housing kids stuff or painted in kid fashion.  Eventually will paint both.  Will end up with one being bedroom for DH and I and the other a guest room.  Did upper AND lower weights this morning since I didn't have to blow dry hair or put on makeup before driving kids to school.  Knee not crazy about all of the up and down of stairs I'm making it do as I fill up 8 big totes with above "stuff."  Throwing out some, donating a bunch more.

Judy-I'm betting your soup gets better with age... much like all of us. 

Marjorie (and anyone with dogs who love to chew) - http://www.goughnuts.com/  I HIGHLY recommend Goughnuts products for any chew happy dog.  They are a bit pricey but OMG worth the cost.  DD's pit bull goes through those extra tough, no dog can chew this up toys within minutes.  Winter 2012 I purchased the donut and the stick for him (put together they become a puzzle that he works apart).  They come with a replacement guarantee.  If you see red (inner core) send it back and they send you a new one.  We did do that with the stick.. 2 months ago.  He chewed on that thing for a full year and a half.  Amazing.

Karen-long day.  sorry.

Damaris-40 does bring some mind games with it.  When I turned 40 I weighed 210+ and decided I couldn't do anything about the age but wasn't going to wait for the weight loss fairy to fly by so did something about the weight.  Started running the year after, I believe as part of the weight loss journey. 50 was sort of BTDT feeling for me or maybe more like "so what?"  What gets me is when people complain about "getting old."  Sure as heck beats the alternative. Yes somethings (body parts) aren't the same as before but I sure do appreciate them more now.

Tessa-I like the idea of you showing off your stomping grounds to me (you can stomp as I plod/slog and listen intently to you give me background, color, and share past experiences on what we pass - since I won't be able to talk).  I see registration opens Jan. 3... I'm going to start planning for this with travel talk but way early for booking it but will get it on calendars. Both? I'm going to say "no" right now.  I didn't race on the Appalachian Trail but did run on a bit of it in Alabama, have run/raced on part of the North Country Trail, have raced on part of the Ice Age Trail so would be awesome to add Pacific Coast Trail to the list!  I like Spunky!

And on the age thing I do have to admit that I like it when I have the chance to mention that I have daughters who are 26 and about to turn 28, then see the look I recognize as people trying to figure out if I had kids at a very young age or am I really that old.  Yup. I graduated from college, got married and then had kids (granted quickly but in that order).  Vanity, I know, but I don't hate it when people are surprised I'm 51.  I do think our running and healthy eating helps!  We obviously are doing something right.

Lisa

camille2

Lisa, you would have loved a couple of the trails I did, but they may have been short for you. : )  Speaking of trails, I think it must have been the Pinhoti trail you were on in Alabama or maybe the Great Eastern trail, which I've heard little about.  You were on Pinhoti for sure in Summerville GA and didn't you do some of the Chief Ladega (sp?) in Alabama, too?  I totally get your DD's clothing confusion. I finally wore a tank here today. It was hard to believe short sleeves would be too hot.

Marjorie, I totally agree about having too much trouble with internet here.  It's really noticeable when I first return from Anchorage...much slower loading, etc. I'm more hopeful after meeting this new guy though.

Karen, what a long day!  Do you get to go in late tomorrow?

Sue, it's neat to see a fox.

Demaris, that's bad news on the allergy shot.  I've been thinking of getting them for mold allergy.  I hope you feel better today...and that they are worth the trouble.

Hi Judy and Tessa.

I did  65 hilly, hilly minutes.  I keep thinking I'll get stronger on hills, but the uphills always kick my butt and I have to walk.  At least there's the down afterwards.  : )  A little scare near the end...a woman's 3 small dogs (? Boston Terriers) came tearing out at me, barking and barking and wouldn't respond to her calls at first.  I just froze until she finally got them in.  I hate that and walked back after that.  I'd also hate to pepper spray a dog in my neighborhood, but I'm thinking of carrying it again.

Tomorrow, I'm just doing a short  easy trail with a friend and Thursday, I'm going to do 5 mi near my mom's...nice and flat.  : )

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

Thanks Lisa. I will have to check those toys for Quincy. He is a power chewer for sure.

Marjorie

Camille-you're right.. it was the Pinhoti not the AT.  duh.  I was thinking it was "more" of a trail because of the 100 miler on it.

Marjorie-the ONLY other thing that Enzo (pit bull) didn't chew through in less than 30 minutes is a ram's horn.  As in an actual ram's horn.. .took him a couple of days on that but he did end up cracking it.  1.5 years with a Goughnut product, if I hadn't seen it myself I wouldn't believe it.  plus a replacement guarantee.  And he liked chewing on it, all the time.

Lisa