Womens Running

10K Thursday - Supermoms (Read 25 times)

strollermama

CA: Haha that is so funny!!

5k - 21:32  FM - 3:27:40

superspike113

Honorary Old

Strollermama- I wouldn't have gotten the chariot if I had to buy it new. My neighbor across the alley was selling hers that would have cost $800+ new with all the accessories for $500. I really like how its enclosed and kiddo can't throw his toys and crap out. They are hard to find around here used because runners, let alone runner moms, aren't so common. I might get a double BOB when I have another kid and keep the chariot for the bike trailer or when I only need a single. I love having brakes on my stroller, so I was actually looking to buy the Baby Jogger Summit XC before I got my chariot.

CA- LOL!

2 Mile: 17: 11   5k PR: 27:45    5 Mile: 44:11    10K: 59:01    Half: 2:15:59     Marathon: 5:50:07

BermyHorse

RR2: ok, so just for CA, at the expo I changed corral from number 13 up into corral 5 and have 3.45 pace group in my corral. No idea if that is too fast, but we are about to experiment. Kara is at the expo Friday 3-5pm CA said. The expo was NUTTY this morning (although the lines to make sense of it all were empty so I presume it is going to be even more rammed). it was like a great big LRS although I was expecting loads of free giveaways and i didn't see much of that. I went with my running group and that was nice to see them there. DS was great in carrier. I am sure heis entertained by these things. Just parking nearby was a nightmare. I might let Kara go on this one tomorrow. Boo. Walmart were not carrying sweats for throwaway. I am going to hit up goodwill.

Zorbs – what did your post-marathon weeks look like as far as rest and training? Thanks for recipe. Yeah, we would not have gone to the hockey if it hadn’t been free. I loved it though. I want to go to an American football game next! I think I am technically on days and days of total rest. And the token 2milers are just ridiculous – like what benefit can they provide? I am changing and showering longer than I am running. I think it’s all just for my head to make me feel like I haven’t forgotten how to run. Because right now, I feel that way.

Cx2 – why the knee ache? Where did that come from? Hope you can find your bearings with your new project – walking around will stimulate creativity – try it outside to avoid the candy!

Spike/CA – would it be too bad to buy a 100 buck sewing machine from Target, learn to sew on it and make all my mistakes (I only need to go forwards, backwards, zigzag and button hole – they do all that) and then when I can sew well, buy a great machine? Or is that just 100 bucks that could go towards a 1000 buck machine?

Jen – thanks for sharing your story re. being totally awesome. When you say “do it properly” this time – what do you mean? Your DH needs some days along with your son, just him and J doing what you do. Then he will fix his whole attitude.

Dexy – omg, I wear the lulu crossed and look like that putting it over my head too! Which shoes do you run in? I love that only on our board would I read about swingers and “the boobs aren’t bouncy” in two consecutive days. Thanks Dexy!!! You crack me up.

Mer – does your DH play hockey? Yay for low rise pants. More comfy. How is yoru crochet coming on? Yay for running, but don’t worry about slowing down – look at your hm!! You are awesome.

Ernie – bit of a nightmare day for you – hope today is more pleasant.

Mrszm – what does your DS wear when he swims? I want to start taking mine every week so he gets used to it. Do you go with C? SIL sounds like a right piece of work. What is jimmy Johns? Too cut on M’s shorts. What a sweetheart.

Arm – yay for house hunting. And totally do-able with our toddlers. Whatcha got in mind for a house this time? Urban or rural? Hope you can rest up before the weekend.

Moxie – you finished in 3:55 right? I would like to break 4 for sure. Yay for running with DH. Sounds lovely.

CA – every time I tease you about racing it’s with love and I like to banter. You are way more aggressive as a racer than me and I like that. I am very consistent at training and need to work on my race aggression. I was laughing at you changing brands/wearing something new for race. Cute on leotard and slippers. Bet she will look adorable.

Stroller – congrats on winning race entry! Loved your tweet. You are so so sweet and deserve as much freakin help from the world as possible as you are doing it all alone mama and I have so much respect for you. Good luck!!

Spike – yay for your run and funny on car. We were in red lobster one time ages ago (DH choice, not mine) and we parked by our booth. We gave DS keys to play with and we watched him pop open the trunk from the booth. Dh ran outside pretty quick and we replaced keys with crappy restaurant crayons. My DS can push himself over on his tall stool and bumper – so be careful! We need to tie him to the counter. I am proud of my sanity-intact state although it has taken discipline and distraction.

Rg – yay for your 10m. what were you thinking about exactly? How I should have started with 5ks instead??!!!! Cos that’s what I am thinking about here!!

5K 21.12   10K 50:12   HM 2:07   FM 3:50:31

superspike113

Honorary Old

Bermy- I really think it depends on how much sewing you think you will be doing, and what kinds of fabrics you plan to sew.  I would have never bought a Bernina for myself, I'm too cheap for that- my dad and stepmom bought mine. I did buy my Bernina serger, but I got it for a crazy deal (I think $350) so I jumped on that. I just don't think those cheapie machines are going to be built for long term use, won't have even stitching, and won't be up to any heavy duty sewing. Why don't you go middle ground? I think a machine like this could serve you well for many years http://www.amazon.com/Brother-PC420PRW-294-Stitch-Professional-Computerized/dp/B000XE3FGO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1366921491&sr=8-2&keywords=brother+project+runway+sewing+machine . The downside to buying a cheap machine then upgrading is that you have to relearn all the features and quirks of the new machine, and it will set you back on the learning curve. You already know that you like to sew, so I think spending a few extra bucks is worth it.

2 Mile: 17: 11   5k PR: 27:45    5 Mile: 44:11    10K: 59:01    Half: 2:15:59     Marathon: 5:50:07

BermyHorse

spike - point made, but I know I am not going to use anything electronic that requires programming. I just wanted something simple. But good point about the even stitches. I need a very well made classic with no bells and whistles.

superspike113

Honorary Old

Bermy- I pretty much only use the straight and zigzag on mine, but a well made machine is worth something. That brother machine I linked to is a metal chassis instead of plastic and will hold up better. Its one of the well reviewed machines on Consumer Reports for quality too.  If you want a very simple machine, go with a mechanical machine vs electric- it will be stronger for sewing through thick layers of fabric http://www.sears.com/search=mechanical+sewing?vName=Appliances&cName=Sewing+%26+Garment+Care&autoRedirect=true&viewItems=50&redirectType=CAT_REC_PRED

runnergirl9508

Spike- DHs tattoo sounds awesome! R always gets down on the floor while I'm doing planks, and he pushes up so his arms are straight. Too cute!!

stroller- Yay, congrats!!! Have fun at the race Smile

5K: 19:15       Half: 1:29:35       Marathon: 3:13:08

CARunningGirl

Bad Ass Mother Runner

bermy - +1 on spike's mid level machine advice. My mom has a bernina that is mid level that she also uses as her portable machine, she brings it with her wherever she goes. Oh I totally know that you're teasing, I enjoy the banter back and forth also. I'm pretty serious and agressive a racer, but also am light and mock myself in it. My seriousness also has gotten me into trouble with injury.

stroller - I have a chariot also (actually two, a double and a single)... I love it, it's so versatile, and I also love that it's fully enclosed... I can't imagine a different running stroller.

5k - 22:56        10k - 46:13          HM - 1:45:39          FM - 3:57:03

Blog: http://terryruns.wordpress.com/

BermyHorse

Spike (and CA) - I talked to DH and I think we decided on the brother project runway (not just cos it has 'run' in the title). Thanks for the advice and taking the time to type it all up for me as I was deliberating.