Womens Running

Trying to make sense of it all Tuesday Supermoms (Read 38 times)

BermyHorse

RR: 4m easy recovery. I have reacted so negatively to the boston bombings. I know in my head it's unrelated but I don't want DH nor DS anywhere near the finish line of my fm in 12 days. How do I get through that? I don't even want to run my fm anymore. I understand the 'terrorism' fear mentality but I also feel so vulnerable now. Why would I put my family at risk? Hoping to skype bermy running coach today to talk about everything in general, I miss her so much.

NRR: One of my bermy friends finished 21st male at boston, his wife got 2.55 and another friend 2.58. It was such a great day and then it became such a horrendous day.

NRR2: we're interviewing a nanny today who will work along side me as mother's help hopefully. Maybe, just maybe, I will be able to get a track workout in without holding onto a stroller. Oh the luxury. DH and I decided that we will just hire our family since we have none. And we are also looking at an assisted care place for MIL. She is in Salt Lake City right now with great grandma but she is crazy as a bag of cats so we need to think of something.

BR: found a snake in the grass. Puts the shoes away for us. Opens and closes the shutters. he has become actually quite helpful. It is so adorable and great for his self-esteem.

FR: spicy corn chowder from freezer. Will add some pearled barley.

5K 21.12   10K 50:12   HM 2:07   FM 3:50:31

Zorbs

beskirted & manicured

procrastinating on folding laundry....

eh - I had B in the size up diapers waaay before he hit the weight limits. At least try the night diapers.

cx2 - I can't blame you for being scared of deer, they are effing massive!  I'd block or unfriend SIL...no one needs to read that kind of shit!

jen - I normally wear "professional" clothes to piano even though most of my coworkers (in their early 20s) do NOT..but I'd wear running stuff even if there was an actual dress code.

dexy - omg on the argument. Beans and bacon? I seem to remember going for an annual checkup as a kid.

ernie - NO, if there is fear, then the terrorists win. 19 days until marathon.

mer - wow, I'd be so tempted to slap the whiners with the box and say "NO IPAD FOR YOU!"

mrszm - I had a beautiful pair of white eyelet jeans in high school and I was forever getting little dirty water splotches on the legs.

stroller - good luck at school today.  I hope the people are at least good actors lol.

CA - my dad was in Boston on business on 9/11.  If I remember correctly, he ended up having to take a train to Montreal and then fly to Toronto.

bermy - yikes on the snake.  See what I said to ernie.

5K - 24:10 | 8K - 40:41  | 10K - 51:40.6 | HM - 1:51:10 | 30K - 2:44:54 | Marathon - 3:59:26

http://runningskirtsandmanicures.blogspot.ca/ 

Marathonjen

mrszm - I really liked your stitch fix selections.  I am glad you found some keepers.  How fun that you and DH get to run together tonight...when is the last time that happened.  Hopefully the kids are good for your cousins girls and C adjusts well to them.  Hopefully you and DH have a good run tonight.  Enjoy seeing your friend and her new baby.

stroller - Good luck with your exam today.  I hope you can get your 8 in on the TM.  Ugh to more snow...you guys have gotten hit hard lately.  Where is spring?  Sorry DS was up so much last night.  Hopefully that doesn't impact you too negatively today.

CA - Sorry O and you seem to have gotten M's cold.  Hopefully you get a good run in despite it.  Hopefully MIL's flights will be ok.  They will have so much security there that at least she should be safe despite the extra time she will have to have there.

Bermy - I know how you feel about the whole Boston situation...I am sure a lot of us feel like that.  I definitely thought of J immediately.  Having run Boston before, my dad stood right in that area watching me finish in 2006.  I can't imagine anything happening to him, DH, or J.  I probably would tell them not to come...but I wouldn't let it stop me from running it.  There is so much bad in the world...but there is even ore good.  We just don't always hear and see the good things.  I have realized after 9/11 and the many negative subsequent events that have followed that we need to be cautious but we can't live our lives in fear.  It would be a horrible life if we confined ourselves to our home 24/7 hoping that would make us safe.  I hope you can find some comfort in your coach and other runners that will allow you to gain the feeling of security back...I know it will take time.

mrszackmorris

jen: never; seriously, dh and i have never, ever ran together. he said we can each just run separately; I told him that we can run comfortably and gossip Smile

mrszack: the streak lasted about 6 days before I decided that I shouldn't push too hard and risk being totally exhausted.  I tend to wear myself down to the ragged bone on a regular basis and should learn that slowing down/stopping is okay.

Ernie: The bacon argument might be funny once I recover from losing a good nights sleep!

Bermy: Hope you find some help.  Met any of your neighbors?  Any local teenagers around to help out with things?  Don't let Boston ruin your marathon, us it as mental fuel to do a great job. You are by no means vulnerable, you are incredibly strong inside and out.  I'm sure security will be heightened at all of these events for awhile.

Zorbs: Interesting I don't recall ever going to the doctor as a child - gonna have to ask my mom about that one

CARunningGirl

Bad Ass Mother Runner

RG - that's great that you can wear your boston shirt on your run. YAY for toddler hugs!

zorbs - sweet that B was cuddly, I totally think they know when we need love. Awesome on the potty!

reh - glad you hip and knee feel better! Maybe it's your IT band, if it's hip and knee that sounds likely. Have fun on the class trip!

cx2 - we have a lot of deer by my house, coyotes too but they generally stay away from people - except in the spring when they have pups, then you have to be really careful, my RP's dog got attacked by one on a running path last year. UGH on SIL!!! She humiliated herself imo.

Jen - Aww on your sweet boy yesterday! Glad your brother is ok, they turned off cell service bc they thought the bomb might be detonated by cell - my BIL couldn't call home either, they live in NH but he works in Boston.

Dexy - LOL on staying up arguing about bacon Smile I take my kids once a year for a checkup that's what most dr's want I think.

ernie - My marathon shirt from my DNF is dirty, doh, I'm behind on laundry, and my other marathon shirt is a XXL cotton T... I think any race shirt is good. I think you're probably fine in a race in TO - I'm guessing that non TV broadcast races are muuuuuch safer.

mer - yay for waking w/o crying!! I was bigger at 16 weeks w/ O too, but then was smaller in the end.

mzm - wow on your chiro! a trail marathon sounds fun, but hard! YAY for running w/ DH! I'm very jealous of all you ladies getting your stitch fixes! Wish they shipped to Canada.

stroller - ugh on the snow. We have a few inches too, and I'm hoping the trails are at least packed down.

bermy - hugs! It is horrible and I think it's right to feel negative, but I think you also can't let them win. There's no easy answer, I think you should go and kick ass in your FM, and make a decision on DH and DS spectating. Maybe along the course where the crowds aren't as big will feel more safe? I hope the skype with your coach helps you process things. YAY for a nanny! I'm eager for my MIL to come home tomorrow, and totally feel for those without family close.

5k - 22:56        10k - 46:13          HM - 1:45:39          FM - 3:57:03

Blog: http://terryruns.wordpress.com/

superspike113

Honorary Old

RR: SRD last night (even though I didn't run saturday, haha). Planning on 4-6 tonight with the stroller if not windy, pawning R off on godmother if it is.  I think DH and I are going to do this race http://www.active.com/half-marathon/electric-city-wa/that-dam-run-2013 . This was my first race ever back in 2008- its a very difficult course with a ginormous hill (its actually running to the top of Grand Coulee Dam and then a run through deep gravel along the river with a steep uphill finish- so definitely no PR on this course. I was going to do www.sageratrun.com and sign Reid up for the kids race but I forgot we have something going on that day.

TR: Right before I picked him up from daycare yesterday he stuck his hands in his poopy diaper and got it all over. He went straight in the bath when he got home. Slept pretty good last night.

FR: Pork cutlets in gravy over brown rice last night. Probably leftovers tonight and prep bulgogi for tomorrow.  ERNIE- Do you just make it in a sautee pan? My grill is still at my old house because DH hasn't gotten around to picking it up yet and my cast iron is packed away.

NRR: DH goes on nights the rest of the week. I scheduled the afternoon next monday off for a hair appt and doctor's appt. We are 1/3 of the way through the year (almost) and I still have almost 12 vacation days to use before 12/31.

2 Mile: 17: 11   5k PR: 27:45    5 Mile: 44:11    10K: 59:01    Half: 2:15:59     Marathon: 5:50:07

superspike113

Honorary Old

Runnergirl- I didn't realize you had run Boston. Hugs sounds like just the ticket on a day like yesterday.

zorbs- *knock on wood* but it sounds like B is starting to emerge from the evil terrible twos!

eh- for some reason my DH hates a wine sauce. If you ask him the two worst things he's ever eaten he will tell you that it was bean patties I made one time and quail in a wine gravy my dad made.

cx2- Idiotic postings like that are a regular occurence in my family, thus why I don't have my mom and sister on my feed. They are Newton conspiracy theorists and I just don't believe that. DH called my sister an "armchair detective" and offended her and now we just agree to disagree. My sister and mom fancy themselves "activists" and I really just want to scream "LIKING SOMETHING ON FACEBOOK IS NOT ACTIVISM!!!"

Jen- I wish my daycare did pictures! I suppose if I get better with my camera, that is something I could go in and do for the other parents. Cute about J saying he is a big boy and I love you. I can't wait til R tells me he loves me, I say it to him about a million times a day. I also kiss him a lot now because I know he won't let me forever.

Dexy- once I was past the age of two, I only went to the doctor less than a dozen times until I was 18 and could go to student health at university. I probably should have gone more since my mom didn't immunize me and I had asthma/allergies. Funny thing is, I've never been officially tested for all my nut allergies- that was all trial/error/ER visits :S

Ernie- MIL called me and told me I'm not allowed to run marathons anymore. I told her that's not something she will have to worry about for a while, which she thought I was telling her I was pregnant, and I had to convince her I wasn't. LOL.  I want our weather to straighten up, R has terrible cabin fever.

Mer- J made room for the new baby, I think its pretty common to look bigger sooner with #2. I did belly pics every 4 weeks. So sorry about your friend who passed away, that is so sad. My mom's BFF passed away from breast cancer when her daughter was about 10 years old and my mom is still sad about it.  I thought you sounded like you wanted the Chromebooks more than the iPads, did you get overruled or did you make the iPad call?

mzm- LOL white jeans? Did they not read the box where you checked yes to "I'm a mom"?! My StitchFix box comes next week- I'm really picky and cheap when it comes to clothes so I hope its not a waste of $20.. I have a $250 cart picked out on Target right now.. I love target.  I've looked at a couple trail races this year but didn't sign up for any. DH's stupid schedule seems to fall such that he is working whenever the races I want to run are so I have to line up childcare and crap, annoying.

strollermama- good luck on your exams!

CA- Nice about the run swap! I started putting R in time outs really early, its usually effective but for some reason I'm having a hard time of breaking him of wanting to touch the stove. Might have to start swatting for that one.

2 Mile: 17: 11   5k PR: 27:45    5 Mile: 44:11    10K: 59:01    Half: 2:15:59     Marathon: 5:50:07

superspike113

Honorary Old

eh- +1 on overnight diapers. R pees through the regular ones at night, but the overnighters seem to soak it all up.

Bermy- You know what they say about lightning striking twice, you just can't live in fear. The world is random and there is no way to avoid the crazy without becoming mountain hermits- if you look at it from a statistical standpoint, weather phenomena kills more people each year than bad people do. Yes there is evil in the world, but there is so much more good out there- just think about all the people who have reached out to help the victims. It would be doing the sport a disservice if we didn't go out there and flip those people the bird and keep on keepin' on. Good luck with your nanny! R's godparents and our Fire dept friends are just as much family as our relatives.

running eh

cx2 - your sil is the crazy one!!  I am the exact opposite of a conspiracy theorist - I may be a little too trusting of governments.

mjen - so nice to pick up a sweet child at daycare.  I remember dragging DD out of the daycare in the middle of winter without boots or a coat b/c she did not want to leave.

dexy - yay for Richmond!  Sounds like it might be quite the supermom meetup!!

ernie - well said, DH!!  Such a great day yesterday, really hoping for some more sun again soon!

mer - yay for DS waking up happy!  I am sure it will become a regular thing for him soon.

mzm - hope you had a nice baby visit!  I love that I get to snuggle the little ones and then give them back when they start to fuss.  , Where is DD's field trip going?  We went to the safety village - they have these battery operated jeeps the kids get to drive around a mock town.  It was hilarious, they were all over the sidewalks!

stroller  - let us know how your day goes today!!

CA - enjoy the run swap!  I really admire how hard you work!  You say you are going to do it, and you do!

spike - has DH run a half before?  Nasty about DS and his diaper!

running eh

bermy - hope the nanny works out for you!  How did you find her?  Don't let some crazies scare you too much!  You will love having DH and DS there cheering you on.  Hope Bermy coach can help you feel better.

CA - I am quite sure it is my IT Band, especially on the right side.  The problem is that it's my left knee and my right hip.  The knee has been trouble for a few years, but this hop thing just started after Sunday's long run.  I know a lot of people love the foam roller.  Do you have one?  Where did you get it from?  I think it might help with DH's sciatica too.

superspike113

Honorary Old

eh- DH ran a half with me in 2010 right around the time I got pg with Reid. We are registering for the 10k though. My running has been too hit and miss to do a half right now, just working on my base then rolling into training for SeaWheeze. The foam roller only helps so much with my IT band- ART and kinesio tape fixed it right up though. I bought mine on amazon.com.

Zorbs

beskirted & manicured

spike - AGH on the poop disaster, someone posted some meme on FB, a picture of a baby with a poopy diaper off and shit smeared all over the wall, it made me throw up a little in my mouth.

eh - I agree that the foam roller is only moderately useful if you already have a problem.  It is much better for maintaining healthy IT bands.  Getting physio would be a better way to go.

5K - 24:10 | 8K - 40:41  | 10K - 51:40.6 | HM - 1:51:10 | 30K - 2:44:54 | Marathon - 3:59:26

http://runningskirtsandmanicures.blogspot.ca/ 

beckykay

Bermy:  I am having the opposite reaction.  I would need DH there with me.  He is my knight in shining armour when I have nervous or when something shakes me to the core.  I could not function without him if something were to go wrong.  He knows how to swoop in and make it all better for me.    I do not function well under stress.  He did say he would be more alert and aware of his surroundings from now on when he does spectate but he rarely looks for me at the finish line....he either finds me along the route or in the finishers area.  I also know how upset he would be not being there with me.  I am from the dark ages and did not have a cell phone until I was getting ready to move out here.  Now I cannot image not being able to call or text anyone if something should happen at a race.  That would be the scariest part, not to be able to let anyone know I was ok....

Erniegirl

CA - What exactly are cruise intervals? I've heard of them before but I'm not exactly sure what they are. Yup, that is what I told RP about the TO race...it's not remotely comparable to an event like Boston. As much as some Torontonians would like to believe TO is the centre of the world, I doubt our 10k race is attracting much attention!

Bermy - Your fear is totally understandable, but don't let anyone take your race away from you. You have worked so hard for it. Also, keep in mind that security will be greatly increased in reaction to Boston and there's no reason to think all races are under attack. If you think you'll be too worried about DH and DS watching to focus on the race, you could always run it without them there, but you have time to decide. You might not feel so afraid once the initial shock passes.

Zorbs - Yup, I agree totally with what you said about fear. Honestly, I doubt that my RP will actually end up skipping the race. I think that was just her gut reaction when I messaged her at work and told her what had happened in Boston. Hey, did you hear that Persechini fitness in Newmarket closed for good yesterday? (that was the gym you said was awesome, right?). The female C posted about the closure on fb.

Spike - The steep uphill finish at that race sounds plain cruel, but it will be fun to run your first race ever again. Ewwww on the hands in the poop. I just saute the beef in a non-stick pan. Sometimes in the summer I add a tbsp of peanut butter to the marinade to thicken it up and then make kebabs on the BBQ. Although, I seem to recall you are allergic to nuts, so you probably won't be using that idea! LOL on your convo with MIL. My mom can be a nervous nellie, too, but she called me last night and the first thing she said was "Just so you know, I'm not calling to try to talk you out of going to your race on Sunday."

5k - 20:46          10k - 41:27         10 mile - 1:15:32          Half marathon - 1:39:15