Womens Running

Taco Bout Tuesday (Dailies) (Read 19 times)

What ya got?

Diane-I hear ya on the pictures but you do get accustomed to it after a bit. With trail races that are point to point I am lucky to have a finish line photo. Rarely a during the race one. But you do have the right to feel bummed out by it. That's also why when you do come across an RD that is good to all runners they are so treasured. Or you have someone come along during the race to take action shots. Hint hint. LOL But know that unlike the tree that falls in the woods with no one around to see it... there's a recorded finish time for you! It is real and it happened!

Damaris-LOL on visiting new and not so exciting airports. I will take that "beast" compliment with pleasure from you! Thanks! I don't usually push but did this time because I knew the trail, knew the time to the next race and was feeling "good." The knee will ensure proper recovery.  Sorry about the hills of KY but the food was good, right?

Lizzie-I'd be ticked off too!

Karen-we do tend to learn early on not to set ideas in our heads like "well i KNOW I'll finish before the guy in the bear suit"... doesn't take long to realize that the people wearing the costumes are those for which merely running the race isn't challenging or meaningful enough anymore. I'll always recall the guy at Cleveland with the three flags on a wooden carrier thing.  And him passing me.  Oh well. Humble pie tastes best when served during a race.

Ginny-so are you going to come up and run the half at Run Woodstock? Kathryn is doing the 50k. I'm in for the 100k. You will beat us both to the finish line!  And you know they take pictures there. LOL

Tessa-The knee will ensure recovery time is taken for me. Meh. Hope the kitties are doing well!

HCK2-meant to say congrats on the finish despite all the inconveniences and frustrations. They do tend to make us stronger in the end and learn to roll with them. Not like we have a choice. They also tend to help us learn how to pee behind bushes (talking to you ginny)

Went to restorative yoga last night which typically involves "legs up the wall" but this time we did something different.. poses on knees. Ugh. I tried for a little which was too much and was not "available" to me. Ended up irritating knee. It's quite colorful.  DC (ala Judy) says it looks like an abstract work of art..blues, greens, reds, browns all sort of overlaying each other and swirled. From 4 inches above knee to all around and a couple of inches below knee it's varying shades. Hurts when the slightest thing brushes the skin just above the knee and going upwards.  But movement of the knee itself doesn't hurt. Tight at bottom of quad (but so is the other side, this is just more) so I'm gently moving that sort of like when you have PF or achilles issues to loosen scar tissue. I will admit that I've never seen such wide spread "bruising" but the fact that movement doesn't hurt is optimistic. Still swollen compared to other leg. mainly above the knee and across the entire front of knee. The usual definition is not there. I'll survive!

Lisa

Lizziebeerunning

Cupcake Connoisseur

8.1 for me. Body pump tonight!

Run was eh. I woke up in the wrong stage of sleep. I was having a nightmare about a tornado! I have been having a lot of nightmares lately. The other night I had a dream that I was in some sort of SAFE room and people were trying to get in to kill me. Weird. Oh anyway, easy run but it felt harder than it should have been. Probably from the high mileage last week. Still recovering! Glad its taper time.

HCBF was supposed to head down to the beach this morning but I guess they needed him here in Richmond today. Works for me!! That means only one night away Smile

I have this cute bright pink shirt on today..its lace across the shoulders..really cute. WELL of course I dropped face cream on it. I tried using shout wipes but NOPE it didnt work. ARGH. I wasn't changing though..its too cute! Hopefully my badge covers it enough!

Karen – Have you ever found a tick on Riley?

Ginny – I hope the chiropractor provides some relief! I have meant to tell you – your DD looks FANTASTIC! Good for her! I am sure you are very proud of her. Spiders don’t bother you?! We are going to check Ruger every night for ticks. Especially since he goes to daycare! I have actually been taking him 3x a week lately since the weather is so nice.

Tessa – Do you not have many ticks out in CA? Nice miles yesterday. Do you have Amazon prime? They probably have good deals on scales!

Lisa – LOL on the thread title! Love it. I was going to put “Its going to be May” LOL. Doesn’t everyone pee behind bushes?! Smile Ouch on the knee. Are you going to have it looked at?? If movement doesn’t hurt does that mean you can still run Wink No no don’t listen to me.

Have a great Tuesday everyone!

October 4 - Milwaukee, WI - 26.2

November 14 - Richmond, VA - 26.2

March 21 - Virginia Beach, VA - 26.2

Howdy! Five miles this morning. I just felt tired and floppy, but I was out there, finished without walking and did not fall down. I'll consider that a win.

Lisa--your poor knee!

I take hideous race photos, so I don't worry about it.  I do try to take a pic before and maybe after with a finishers medal or a beer.

Tessa--how are the kitties?

Yesterday Ann Marie had a check up. She's gained 5 ounces already! I didn't go over, but probably will tonight.

Ugh. Forgot to take allergy meds this morning. Will have to wait till lunch.

Have a great Tuesday!

judyruns

Mighty Mouse

MyMomRuns, the bruising sounds awful. Do you use padding under the knees in yoga? My knees, sit bones, sacrum, etc. all need sufficient padding under them now.

Lizzie, the face cream splotch is one time when the work badge comes in handy.   I HATED wearing one with a passion.

Crazysue, your face pics are just fine!  

Foot hurts, gotta get it up. Dang, dang, dang, dang....

Happy runs, All! 

Where is the "any" key?   

judyruns

dhuffman63

Trails

I'm sure the pic thing bums me out cause I'm in "taper" mode....but more likely my thyroid is acting up and making me more emotional.

Sue I never learned to do the selfie thing and I'm usually to scared to ask a stranger to take my picture.  They all seem so intimidating at the start...friends all around or family and I'm always by myself.  Sylvia had issues with weight gain at first and it stressed DD out a lot as she is a new mom, by herself in CO and trying to breastfeed and do all the right things.  I've seen Sylvia eat (she could be an ultrarunner she eats everything) and she's finally getting to where she should be weight wise.  I just love being around her...she's so much fun.  You'll have a blast being grandma or whatever you decide your grandma name will be....mine is Oma...german for grandmother.  TMI I know.

Lisa, I think Sherrie and the Hawks spoiled me for other races.  I have other plans in Sept (Sizzling Sasquatch in OK) but I want to go back and redo the Hawk marathon and get it right this time.

Saturday

Sunny, with a high near 83

Wonder how little I can get away with wearing?

I did 3 miles on the gym's indoor track at lunch yesterday and then went home and rowed for 5 min.  I wanted to make sure I was using proper form so went kind of slow.  It was still hard.  Massage tonight then Wed we are going to the U2 concert.  Severe storms with tornado potential are predicted...yay.

Diane--I settled on "grandma" because that is what my grandma was called--but I did think about "Oma" bc I am German too.

Wonder why my mother's mom was not "Oma" --she came from Germany when she was 16--by herself and did not speak English!

Seloc

Just under 8mi for me today.  5 of those with the speedsters.  It was 68*!  Whew I gots to get used to that.  It was lovely but that’s a full 30* warmer than what I was running in last week.  Legs were d-e-a-d.  Ugh.  Trying not to hate running again.  We got to 82* here yesterday.  Yep, blizzard to 80s in 3 short weeks.

Track last night was uneventful.  Since the woman in charge just has me helping her instead of coaching, all I did was hand out clipboards to the coaches and then we were done.  I don’t have to go to practice next week and the following week I’m in Dallas.  So, I’ll get to help at the meets on the 21st and June 4th and that’s it.  Might have to find something more to keep me busy.

Tessa – nice job getting out there yesterday morning.  I find Monday’s are the hardest to get up early.  LOL now that is one hefty kitteh haha.

Ginny – hope the chiro helps!  I recently found a new chiro and LOVE her.  I think I’ll even keep going in for regular maintenance instead of only for treatments.

Diane – sorry you are bummed about no pics but, I wouldn’t take it personally.  Sometimes it just happens!  My mom was “Oma”, too.  Enjoy the massage!

Karen – between you and DH you are going to have a whole neighborhood of endurance athletes.  Fun!!  Glad your legs are feeling good but no doubt you are still recovering from that BADASS run.  Laughing at your reasons for quitting the Girl Scouts haha

Lizzie – hey, I say that all the time “livin the dream” ha.  Any word if the Mammel got spoken to?  What an asshat.  Weird about the nightmares.  A tornado?  Nice miles!  No doubt you are bit tired from last week.  Embrace the taper!  Oh yeah, and ewwwwwww on the tics.  I do NOT like those things either.  Nothing like making you feel all creepy crawly.

Damaris – yuck on all the airport delays.  Glad you had a day off yesterday!  Awww sorry you didn’t get to see Fiona.  Nice job toughing out that marathon.  Ooof, it sounds HARD.  Well, ya know, harder than most.

Cathy – dude, I am SOOOO happy to see you put some miles up!  How’s the foot holding up?  Do you feel like you are bouncing back pretty easily?  That is hilarious about the guy in the bear costume.

Lisa – chuckling at the thread title – good one! LOL  That sounds like QUITE the bruise!  Take care, lady.  Glad it doesn’t hurt with movement which I would think indicates soft tissue only?  But, what do I know.  DC, huh?  Hmmmmmmmmm  

Sue – “tired and floppy”  LOL  I do know exactly what you mean but it does sound funny.  Nice job getting out there!!  Awww that’s awesome little grandbaby is fattening up!

Okay – this work isn’t going to do itself.  Better get at it…

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I have Pilates and 5 miles.  Woke up with a light migraine but I think it's the fact that I had to get back to the office today. Smile

Lisa, food was good indeed. And drinks.  Take care of that knee!

Liz, nice run.  I can never wear anything light colored.  Especially anything with white on it.

Susan, nice 5.  I hope I didn't forget to use my allergy spray last night.  Could be why my head hurts.

Judy, gah.  Hoping it stops hurting soon.  Ouch.

Diane, nice run and row.

Sandy, nice run.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

kats

WINE o'clock somewhere!

Lisa, sorry the knee is so bad.  I would skip the yoga knee poses for a bit.

Lizzie, I have found 2 ticks on my dog, one here in TX and one at my place in Seattle.  It happens.  Is he on a flea and tick preventative?  If so, that might be why the tick fell off.  If he isn't on them, there are some good products out there to consider.  

Sue, not falling is certainly a good thing.  Great on Ann Marie.  Any pics??

Judy, I am so sorry about your foot/toe, OUCH.  Heal quickly.

Diane, I am with Lisa and others about not always getting photos.  I think us back of the packers get shorted on smaller races.  More trail races than not, I don't get photos.  83, wow, stay cool.  That is warm for this time of the year.  You mentioned a bandana for ice, but do you have arm sleeves?  You can wear them around your wrists with ice wrapped in them.  Down the sports bra too (between the girls), but that is a bit of a shocker!

Sandy, at least you ARE running, which is more than I can say...

Damaris, thanks for your help, I appreciate you reaching out for me.  Haven't heard back.

Who was talking about the costumed runner??  Did you guys read that the winner of BOSTON, yes, Boston, ran a half earlier this year in a panda costume.  That would take some doing to pass that dude.  I was pleased, when I ran Twin Cities a few years ago, I passed Chewbacca - Full hairy costume, head and all, and finished about 10 min ahead of him.

Starting to get a cold, throat is sore and a bit more lethargic than normal (is that even possible??)  Luckily I don't think it will stick though.

I really think it is time for some bloodwork, including a thyroid check.  This level of inertia, sleeping, weight, and food intake is annoying.  At least if I am normal, I will know I just need to get my head out of my bootie.  Bummer though, my insurance won't cover it, yet.  I have a deductible I haven't met.

Just grey and gloomy out yesterday/today.

K

Kettle Moraine - June 2024

Beast of Burden - August 2024

Hennepin Hundred - Oct 2024

Javelina Jundred - Oct 2024

dhuffman63

Trails

Kat, even though I'm hyper sometimes the fatigue is just crushing and all I want to do is sit and sleep.  People who are hypo or low thyroid hormones tend to have that plus weight gain even when eating very little.  My brother is hypo and has had weight issues his whole life.  Another contributing factor in my seeming inability to run anymore is I went through menopause at the same time I was diagnosed with Graves Disease (hyperthyroidism).

Kilmisters

Really bad cold 4 days before the trail HM. If I'll have to go to that race w a 0km week, so be it. Not that I have high expectations anyway. The focus, as always, is on the autumn 21k, which, with help of Karen, should go fine... Right? Smile

Work tomorrow (today was national holiday), don't have much choice. Month end/start is a b---h. Also, it turns out I have to prepare a 10min presentation for analytics workshop hosted by Group (May17). First time I go there and now this?! Great opportunity, but, wow. I will need some calming teas, that's guaranteed. 10mins for a topic which I could talk about forever. That will be the biggest issue.

Lizzie, nightmare about tornado?? Seemed so random that had to look it up in dream translator... ''overwhelmed and out of control and you forge a destructive path''... You know better how precise this is Smile

Lisa, glad to hear nothing is broken, torn or pulled. You crazy trail ultra people!

Sandy, ugh, trying to not hate running... Is a tricky situation to be in.

Back to preparing the presentation.

''What will happen if I run up the hills? Ah, volcano muscle soreness!!'' (c) Margaret

''Who needs quads anyway!?'' (c) Damaris

Lizziebeerunning

Cupcake Connoisseur

Susan – Nice miles this morning! I was feeling tired and floppy myself (that’s what he said). Awe, glad Ann Marie is doing well!

Judy – Is it killing you not to run?!

Diane – Whew,  that is a warm forecast. Shorts and a tank! Nice workout yesterday. Enjoy the massage tonight.

Sandy – Woohoo nice miles this morning! Man, you were warmer than us this morning! We were at 45! We will be in the 80’s today..in the 60’s in the morning later this week. Though I am sure your 60’s is more pleasurable than our humid grossness. That’s kind of a bummer about track. Handing out clipboards does not sound like fun haha. Maybe she will have you more involved at the meets? I sure hope so! Not sure if Mammel got spoken to yet…he hasn’t said 2 words to me in 2 days haha. Which is nice actually. I think he knows im angry.

Docket – Good luck on the workout tonight. Sorry about the migraine!

Kathryn – YES..we give Ruger “Nexguard”. I just gave him one this morning!  I am sorry that you are starting to get sick! When is the last time you had a checkup? Might be a good idea to get in. Some insurances offer a free physical per year. Or maybe its two…

Kilmisters - Oh NO! I am sorry you aren't feeling well! You are just tapering extra hard Smile Yikes on the presentation. Why do I have a feeling you will do great, though? Haha. You will!!! Are you celebrating a National holiday over there?!

Crazy day. Mammel still hasn't spoken to me. COOL WITH THAT! Smile

Off to body pump soon! Have a great evening!

Ok....I need to vent. If I tell DF he will blow a gasket... I submitted my leave request for wedding and honeymoon in July.

My boss said she may not approve leave pending completion of my current project.

What kind of bitch sends that email???

Lizziebeerunning

Cupcake Connoisseur

Susan - OMG. If she does that you need to QUIT!!!

Anonymous Guest

So DH went into the office this morning and just came home. I'm sitting here on the internet, but the dryer is going, the roomba is going, and I have meat thawing on the counter. I told him I was obviously really busy with laundry, cleaning and dinner prep. He laughed. This morning I ran 4 miles around the neighborhood and then went to OrangeTheory. I haven't been for a few months (yes, I'm the idiot that's been paying and not going) and it felt good to go back. The running intervals on the TM felt fantastic, the weights on the floor, not so much. Damn, the rest of me is out of shape.

Lisa, only you would go to yoga with those bruises on you knee (or half your leg) and then they end up doing knee stuff. At least you've got a few weeks for everything to heal before Pinelands.

Liz, no ticks on Riley but we found a couple on Jake over the years. I would freak out and make DH get it off of him. We are pretty religious about his flea and tick medicine and I check him after daycare and after he goes out on the trails or anything like that. After the flea problem Jake had shortly before he died that took months to get out of our house, I have a reminder set on my calendar for flea/tick stuff for Riley. On your meh run, not surprising. Like you said, big mileage last week. Plus you're tapering but not really cutting back much yet, so your head thinks things should be all happy and easy, but your legs may disagree. I think the first week of taper is tough mentally and physically.

Susan, great job getting out there, running, and staying upright! All wins.

Judy, take it easy with that foot!

Diane, do you have an old jacket or long sleeve shirt/sweatshirt that you wouldn't care if you lost? If it's going to be cooler in the morning but then warm up to the 80s, maybe a throwaway layer over a tank?

Sandy, track seems to be a bit of a waste of your expertise. Nice run with the fasties, especially in that heat. In a few months 68 may seem cool, but right now after your winter, that is downright hot for running.

Damaris, enjoy the 5 and Pilates later. You have permission to cut any runs short this week if you want. I doubt you will, because you're you, but the option is there if you need it. With the next one just 2.5 weeks away, I'd rather have you under-run than over-run.

Kathryn, I did see that about the Boston winner. That dude is truly badass. Boston was also his fourth marathon of the year already! I hope the bloodwork gives you answers.

Elina,  you will go into the race rested, which is a word that probably doesn't show up often in your vocabulary between work and K and floor ball and running! I plan to look at what you sent me and start putting something together for you this week. I haven't forgotten about you, but my brain has been pretty foggy ever since Boston and I didn't want to do anything stupid.

Somewhere in the midst of these personals I finished the laundry, ate lunch and went and got the mail, so hopefully a bunch of people didn't post while this sat open. And if they did, hi!

karen

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel