Womens Running

Nutrition Needs for us Active Ladies (Read 18 times)

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

How important is it?

I'll make it simple, I am on the pill, same pill I was on before my son was born and things were pretty regular last year. Then this year I kind of stopped taking the placebos and would move straight on to the next cycle, about 2 or 3 months ago my periods started getting irregular, lasting a couple days then going away.  This month started off "normal", last for a couple days then went away, last week it came back for a day or two then went away, today I noticed spotting. I talked to my mom and sisters who immediately say too much running, but we also started to look at my diet, the only vitamin I really take is iron, I keep my calorie intake around 2,000 a day and try to eat healthy - nuts, salmon, chicken, turkey, almond milk, lots of water (and coffee) and I think I am going to get back to eating a salad a day too which I haven't been doing this year. Right now I am ranging between 30-35 mpw along with other things like walking, hiking, strength exercises and chasing my toddler around.

Do I need more in my diet? Or should I just try to get back to taking the placebos when I am supposed to and see how things go?

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Zorbs

beskirted & manicured

you asked "do I need more?" you mention the healthy things but only a passing mention of fruits and veggies, they should be the cornerstone of your diet.  What is your goal? lose weight? TTC?

5K - 24:10 | 8K - 40:41  | 10K - 51:40.6 | HM - 1:51:10 | 30K - 2:44:54 | Marathon - 3:59:26

http://runningskirtsandmanicures.blogspot.ca/ 

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

Are you going from one pack of pills to the next and not taking that week off the pills?  I never took the placebos when I was on the pill just took nothing for that week.  If you aren't being off that week it could be what is messing up your cycle.  Have you asked your OB/gyn?

I agree with Zorbs on the fruits and veggies.

if you are eating healthy you shouldn't need vitamins etc as you should get that from your food.

(full disclosure I do take a vitamin, myself but only because some foods I cannot eat and am missing some nutrients I need)

Marjorie

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I don't eat a lot of fruit Sad I retain so much water from fruits, it is awful. I do eat bananas and blueberries, greek yogurt with black cherries, I lovewatermelon, strawberris and grapes but I have to be really careful about eating them. I love green beans, potatoes : sweet potatoes which I eat a lot of, small honey gold potatoes and regulars.

I would like to lose 5-10 more lbs BUT I am not worried if I don't, toning up is more important.

I am so not TTC lol, one is enough........for now.

My biggest reason for concern is because I will begin my first ever marathon training next month and I really do have issues getting up to 2,000-2300 cals a day.....of course I am sure tha I would eat more if I am hungry.

I have been going straight to the next cycle for at least 2-3 months but I will start back on the placebos this Sunday.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

Kantkatchme

I don't think you need to take the placebos, but your body does need a week to have a period.

if you don't want a period you could try the shot.

It might be worth talking to your OB/dr about it, also the water retention from fruit.  Salt I've heard of, but never fruit?

Arimathea

Tessa

I think you need to talk to your doctor. If you're going straight to the next pack of pills rather than taking a week off, ie continuous birth control, then I'm wondering why you're bleeding/spotting at all if this is an estrogen/progesterone combination. If this is the minipill (progesterone only) then spotting is expectable, but if this is a standard combination pill then bleeding/spotting may indicate that it's not stopping ovulation.

As to the nutrition question, a wide variety of lightly processed foods is the best option for most people. I would ask why you need iron, have you been prescribed it after blood tests? Many women don't need it if they're on the pill and/or consume high iron foods.

I also question the water retention from fruit. Fruit -- except tomatoes -- isn't high sodium. High in potassium, yes. See if there are other fruits you can eat, and definitely lots of veggies. Green leafies, carrots, squashes. The Greek yogurt with black cherries, yum, also try putting frozen blackberries and/or raspberries on Greek yogurt.

You might see if your doctor will refer you to a dietician for a look at your eating habits, that couldn't hurt.

Good lcuk, which marathon are you considering?

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I am registered for the Indianapolis Monumental Marathon in November. My training starts in June

This pill (I think is the regular one, not the mini) has been working for me for well over 2 years, I really don't know why I started going straight to the next cycle (though I am seriously thinking laziness and the attitude "why not, what will it hurt?" had something do with it). I am not sure why I bloat or retain water when it comes to certain fruits, but if I eat too many then I bloat up like a freaking sponge, always have. My enemies are:

• strawberries
                • grapes
                • watermelon or any type of melon
                • peaches
                • carrots

If I eat in moderation or less than and don't go overboard, I am usually fine.I seem to do fine with anything else, though I wonder if things might change as I begin running more and sweating more? I am going back to eating salads for lunch, along with fish (salmon) instead of subway. I haven't seen a doctor in a really long, long, long time unless during emergencies I don't bother with them. I do go to a small women's facility (Tri-Cap) for the whole pap smear and what-nots, and for my pills but that is it.

PRs