Womens Running

Up early weekendailies (Read 19 times)

ccoakley

DS strikes again with a 6am nature call.  Like Liz trying to remember this is just a phase and it'll be over eventually.  But unlike Liz (and probably Cathy) I'm not running right now so there's that. 

5k 24:53 (2020) |10k 52:24 (2021) |HM 1:57:14 (2019) |FM 4:24 (2007) |50k 5:57 (2022)

ccoakley

Cathy, enjoy your HM, I'm sure it will be impressive.  Running somewhere new sounds fun.  Exciting on a new car for both of you!

Liz, hope you're having an awesome LR right now.  Which pumpkin patch do you go to?  We're going to Hanover Vegetable Farm tomorrow for their pumpkin festival.  Have a great time!

HCK, nice on the intervals!  Hope you were able to do something fun on your day off too.

Lori, I'm so sorry about the job.  Is your pension all or nothing?  How many more years do you have to get?  Has all this time being furloughed still counted towards it at all?  Hugs

Kats, hope you're having an amazing time!

Kilmisters, I think you have a trail race this weekend?  Good luck!

We're supposed to get a bad storm this afternoon but I think the morning will be safe to venture out.  The kids really want to go to a playground so I'm going to dust off the double Bob and see if I can still 'run' with it since I'm not really feeling a real run today. DS has also been asking why I never bring donuts home from running anymore so we might run past the donut shop first.

5k 24:53 (2020) |10k 52:24 (2021) |HM 1:57:14 (2019) |FM 4:24 (2007) |50k 5:57 (2022)

Docket_Rocket

Morning! Fall weather is here for a few days so I'll head out at noon for 5.

CC, ugh on the early wakeup.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

10k today.  Ran balls to the wall to deal with the stress. 12:35 pace with last .20 at 11:19 pace. Hard to believe that pace was my marathon pace just 4 years ago.

Cc.... if absolute worst happened and I had to retire today I wouldn't lose my pension but it works be drastically reduced vs if I make it to 30 years.  I thankfully gave enough seniority to continue working.

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**

Good morning!  Up early here too.  But thanks to the miracles of night-time cold medicine, I slept pretty well the past couple of nights.  I think this cold is finally on the way out.

CC, add me to the not-running-much-at-the-moment bus.  Partly due to being sick, and partly due to lack of inspiration.  I'm okay with that.  I usually back off from running a bit during the winter.

Damaris, Lori -- a virtual Monumental Marathon would be fun if you did it together.

Cathy, enjoy the 13.1 today.

Kat, looking forward to more reports from Spain!

Lizzie, UGH on the lack of sleep.  That should definitely be the priority over working out, IMO.

Going to do a little joggity jog this morning after finishing my coffee.  Hoping the gunk in my lungs has cleared up.  Back later!

4/14/24 Napa Valley 50k, Calistoga, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

Docket_Rocket

Margaret, I'm doing the actual race but it would be nice to think we are running with each other!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Anonymous Guest

A little under 4 miles in loops around the RV park. This one is a little smaller than the last one. Picked up Riley for a loop than got pulled by Huckleberry to the dog park, threw a tennis ball for him a dozen times, then ran at a more normal pace. Cold front came through here last night - was in the 40s when we got up. 60s when I finally got around to running, not bad at all.

Super frustrating- I want to try the Saucony Endurance Pro shoes and they are on sale at RW plus you get a $50 gift card if you buy them, but I have no address to send them to!

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

Margaret, I'm doing the actual race but it would be nice to think we are running with each other!

For sure!  Nice to have company in any shape or form. 

Just back from easy 4.5 miles. Minimal coughing so I think it was a success.

4/14/24 Napa Valley 50k, Calistoga, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

LC Runs

5.4 miles this morning, amazing how a drop in temps and humidity helps with increasing the pace LOL

Pictures are done!  I'll have to review them when she's done (next week sometime) but I think they'll be nice.  Weather held off for us, is was cloudy but I guess that's good for pics - rain started a few minutes after we got home.

Heading to my Mom's through Monday...looking forward to seeing her and changing my routine up a bit. Weather looks cooperative lol.

CC - LOL on DS' morning nature call. Hope the storm holds off for you to go to the playground!

Lori - ugh on the job news, so does that mean you'll be laid off or you don't really know who it will affect?  *nevermind, I just read your answer! Nice job on the 10k

Cathy - exciting about the new vehicle!  I got my 2011 Honda in 2014 and it's still going strong. 

Damaris - hope you had a good 5!

Margaret - glad you are feeling better!

Karen - nice run and x training with the dogs! Oh, man, that is frustrating.  Could you have them shipped to a friend?  Not sure you have anyone close enough to then pick them up or if they would have to ship them to you later.

Half Crazy K 2.0

No run today, trying to see if droppingmy mileage this week helps at all. Went to Costco this morning with just about everyone else in the area. MIL is back in the hospital. FBIL made sure to tell DH many times that he is going on vacation soon, which basically means if anything happens, he is even less likely to answer his phone (which is rare anyway).

ccoakley, igh on the early wake up, but at least it's better than waking up to some sort of mess from the nature call.

Docket, I am waiting for our fall weather. Last I checked, the storm is in western MD.

BerrthaSlayer, sorry for all the wok stuff.

GatsbyBird, night timme cold medicine is great!

AnonymousGuest, Holabird has the Endorphin Pros for $120, I just bought a pair this morning. Their physical store is maybe a mile from Costco. I'm not sure if you need an address to set it up, but there is a way to have a FedEx package held at FedEx. Actually, can you do that with USPS?

LCRuns, glad the pictures got done!

Docket_Rocket

A little under 4 miles in loops around the RV park. This one is a little smaller than the last one. Picked up Riley for a loop than got pulled by Huckleberry to the dog park, threw a tennis ball for him a dozen times, then ran at a more normal pace. Cold front came through here last night - was in the 40s when we got up. 60s when I finally got around to running, not bad at all.

Super frustrating- I want to try the Saucony Endurance Pro shoes and they are on sale at RW plus you get a $50 gift card if you buy them, but I have no address to send them to!

Gah! I do say I bought them and I ran the first 4 miles of my workout the other day. They felt like two blocks of cement and were too firm for me. I wanted to like them so much based on what people have said but they are nothing like the Next%.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

kats

WINE o'clock somewhere!

CC, did you get to the playground?  Mmm, donuts.  Hope the storm either passed or was mild.

Damaris, YAY for fall weather!  Bummer about the shoes, Your too young for "cement shoes."  HeHeHe.

Lori, nice running!!  I haven't seen times like that for myself in many may years.  Good job!  Good luck, with the job, we are all thinking good thoughts for you.

Margaret, glad you're on the mend and got a positive run in.

Karen, that you can run with your boys is amazing - they are so energetic!  Bummer on the shoes.  If the sale is good enough, you can mail the shoes to me and I can forward them to you, but that would probably add $15.  OR we could just meet up!  40's, TX, really??

Laura, glad you got some nicer running weather!  I hope some of the photos are nice!  Enjoy the time at your Mom's.

Kathi, Costco on a Saturday?  Bold!!

That is my catch up for now.

Things here are good.  Got the "better" hotel room.  Just as tiny, but big windows/Juliet balconies that look to the street so it doesn't feel like a box.  Friday I slept a lot and wandered nearby, had a meh dinner at the hotel.  Was supposed to go for Paella, but damn, it was a 30 min cab ride one way and I was just too tired.  Saturday was kinda the same.  Got up late, went to breakfast, came back to the hotel room and promptly fell asleep again.  Oops.  Got up around 1:30 and realized I hadn't had coffee yet.  So I got a Starbucks (just down the street) and went shopping.  Who Me?  It was a bust.  I wanted some shoes, but my feet are too fat.  Came back to the hotel to make a game plan and my plan got shot to hell, everywhere I wanted to go closed early on Saturday.  WTF!  So I have a list of places to hit on Monday.  I wandered a bit more in the area.  I did manage a nice dinner last night.  Cured meat plate which was delish, then tuna tartare for dinner.  Hadn't meant it as a main course, but it was a HUGE serving.  Today is a big food market and then two museums, or that is the plan.   Then FLAMENCO!

I am enjoying being here, but have been extra tired - jet lag and just too much going on at home right before I left.  Up at 7am today!  Gonna make the most of it and be a bit cultural.

Need a COVID test to get back into the states.  Pet the Delta website, I ordered acceptable at home testing, but for the life of me I don't understand how to use them and the website is a joke.  UGH.

Off to Starbucks...

K

Kettle Moraine - June 2024

Beast of Burden - August 2024

Hennepin Hundred - Oct 2024

Javelina Jundred - Oct 2024

Kilmisters

Race report incoming, I'm alive, haha!

Background: a trail race in Lithuania (Latvian southern neighbors) held 5th time, I considered it last year as well, but then either forgot about it, or maybe it was Covid that made me change my mind? No idea, haha. It seems like an eternity ago. Choice of distances: 12km/25km/42km/70km. 12km wouldn’t be worth the travel and trail marathon... Maybe in 5 or 10 years! So, I picked 25km, knowing very well it would have to be viewed as fun run because 1) 2wks after Helsinki, so probably not 100% recovered 2) only 2 other trail races this year due to ridiculous amount of Covid-related cancellations.

Travel: 4hr drive from my place, no other means of transportation (flights or ships or anything). So, the travellers were me, DH, my running buddy and her BF. Fun part was that I had a day-off, but there was a very important meeting at 4pm, so I called in thru phone, which was... challenging as sometimes the connection wasn’t that good in the middle of nowhere, but I managed! It had to do with my new position.

Pre-race: we stayed at Yachtclub hotel, literally meters away from race expo and start zone. Kitchen was superfunctional so dinner and pre-race breakfast caused no issues whatsoever, plus I got to watch some high level soccer before going to sleep.

Race: me and my running buddy were running the same distance, but I told her right away that if she feels faster, she can just go ahead and race her own race. She is stronger than me physically (I have more flat surface speed), so obviously trail is “her element”. I tried to keep up with her, but after 4km or so realized that it is NOT going to lead to anything good, so just dropped to my own pace. The plan was to take it very easy the entire time as full race effort for the second time in two weeks would be stupid and then possibly use the saved energy for a faster finish. Good: I kept my HR low till very far into race by running by feel and not rushing away from aid stations too fast. Bad: that theoretically should had set me up for some fast last 4-5kms or so, but my legs didn't agree with this plan. As I was struggling with lactic acid and VERY loud “f--- this s---“ message from hamstrings as early as 17-18km mark, I was doing some thinking and the conclusion was simple: what did I expect. 1) My HM training plan was focused on speed endurance (intervals, tempos) way more than long runs. I had maybe 2-3 10+mi runs. 2) Only third trail race this year (and one of them was 13km only). 3) Last time I did 25+km [on any surface] was a year ago. So, I kept fuelling with Clif Bloks (my last 6-8km savior!!!!) and just tried not to crash completely, which I managed! Didn’t get sub-3hr time, that was kind of sort of my “would be nice” goal, but 3:02 is also nice! I miscalculated while running (what a shocker), and didn’t realize 3:02 is 7:11min/km pace, which, given the circumstances is awesome! So, it was “oh crap” at first, then “wait, what?” after pressing “Save Activity”, haha.

Course: Amazing! Some kms on beach, then lots of sand, lots of VERY uneven trails (my ankles are destroyed).

Main difficulty factor was small, but constantly rolling hills in between the tough climbs. Almost no flat sections at all! I managed the climbs at 1:10 and 1:40-2:00 mark without stopping/walking, but the 2:20 one was just too much and I didn't want to risk it. The two sharp ones at the beginning are stairs leading to/from beach over a

Random note: unlike Estonians and Scandinavians, Lithuanians over the age of 30-40 are not good English speakers at all. So... in stores, gas stations or when randomly chatting with other runners during the race, I had to use my Russian with limited vocabulary and VERY heavy Baltic accent, haha. I initially used the phrase ''po russki ilji po angljiski?'' [in Russian or in English?], then just automatically started speaking in Russian whenever I had to ask/say smth. It will take a couple of generations for this to change.

''What will happen if I run up the hills? Ah, volcano muscle soreness!!'' (c) Margaret

''Who needs quads anyway!?'' (c) Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Kat, glad you are having fun!

Elina, congrats!

Karen, nice 4.

Lori, nice 10K.

Margaret, hope your run went well.

Laura, right? Love these temps.

HCK, hope you get some Fall weather soon.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

Ran a hm distance today because today I was supposed to run the Detroit half. First 5 miles felt ok and then I blew up. My strava time says 3:07:37 but I did stop my watch a couple times so probably closer to 3:10

Elina congratulations on your race.

Kats enjoy your vacation!

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**