Womens Running

(Over 40) Jan Mondays are cold (Read 210 times)

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

MCM fills up within a short time of opening.  It takes next to no time for it to fill up

Marjorie

Bikerchick1

Marjorie - Wow!!!  That is a big marathon too!!!

camille2

Marjorie, nice 10!

Sue, I also have a question about your training. You do a lot of classes during the week...do you run on those days, too?  I keep thinking of doing more classes, but am not sure how to add them in with running.

Julie, sounds like the roller skating was fun!

Karen, sounds like a very good call on the race. I agree that training and racing is hard to figure out, but the races are so much fun. You've been doing an admirable job of it though.  Rest up. : )

Linda, more speed work today?  You are a tough woman!

Carol, bummer on the neck.. You asked how the challenge is going. I thought I was doing great since I have passed up many temptations.  However, my scale isn't agreeing!  I lost another lb right away, but now it's back up two.  Blush   I may have to pass up a few more temptations.  We'll see how it is on Wd.

Lisa/KQ, awesome losing a lb!

Carolyn, I love not having periods.  : )

Tessa, I laughed out loud at the candy box comment.  Love your humor.

Ginny, you said you've never felt good all thru a half...I've done lots..30-40?..and have felt that good/strong thru only about 3 or 4. If you keep doing them, you're bound to have a good day.   : )   Read that over again...hmmm...was that encouraging, as I meant it to be? Are we crazy or something?

Nice hike with the group this morning. It was 5 mi and hillier than I remembered. About 30 at start, but warmed up and was sunny. Still need the short easy run.

Anonymous Guest

Carol, in 2012 MCM filled up in just under 3 hours. The previous year it filled in just over a day. The year before that I think a week. So if you decide to do that one, be ready to sign up as soon as registration opens. Actually, a secret trick that has worked in the past is to click on the signup link about 1/2 hour before registration is set to open. I have done that both times I've run it and my registration went through no problem. If it doesn't work, eh, just try again when they officially open.

That said, it is an awesome race. And if you need a place to stay, my guest room is available. I can't offer the same awesome pre-race elite service that Lisa does in Detroit though. It's kind of a pain logistically just because it's a big marathon, so you have to get up early, wait in lines, etc. If you decide to do it, let me know. I may want to run it one more time before I leave town.

My fall goal race is going to be Mohawk Hudson in New York. It's a smaller race and I've heard great things about it. And I have a friend that has offered me a free place to stay.

I've heard great things about Chicago too. Would like to run that one day.

camille, that made me laugh. "I meant to be encouraging, but I might just sound crazy!"

Julie, WTG with the roller skating. Sounds like a fun way to get outside of your comfort zone for a little while.

Carolyn, I looked at the map and we don't go through any major ciites between here and Hatfield McCoy country. Well, except DC. Sorry.

Lisa/KQ, good job on the one pound. Slow and steady is the way to do it.

Tessa, heheheh, "Blank". Are you missing DD already? Are the cats?

Ginny, maybe that's why I'm so tired! Maybe I should give up this work thing and then I would be able to run more!

Hi Linda, Marjorie, crazysue, did I miss anyone? Trying to get a couple things done before leaving the office in 20 minutes so a little rushed. I always say I'll come back later for more, but I don't always make it.

Biggest Loser on again tonight! Did anyone else see the season premiere last night? I don't know why, but I love that show. And I almost always end up eating ice cream while watching!

karen

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

Knit queen

Knit Queen

Hi again ladies,

my husband talked me into a bike ride.  We went 18 miles around the local neighborhood.  It was very cold.  Brrrr!  My husband wore just fingerless gloves, not cold weather gloves!  He cut the ride short to head home earlier because of the cold.  guys always act like they are such studs with the cold.  I on the other hand will readily admit I am a wuss in the cold.

Cheers, lisa

lisa

Docket_Rocket

Hi, everybody.  Sorry for the late post but I spent the whole day in Court and just got home.  Good thing it was an SRD.

Marjorie, hello again!

Crazysue, the gym was empty?  Wow!  Nice class!

Julie, I would need lessons just to manage to stay upright!  DH and I went to the Rockefeller Center one night to skate.  Well, he just held on to the railing the whole time while I was able to skate 1 foot at a time.

Anonymous, sounds like it was the right decision.  Great job, nonetheless.  When is the Mohawk?  I'm doing multiple marathons this year and I'm trying to fill as many months as I can.

Linda, hope you get your 200s done tonight.

Bikerchick, hope the neck and back feel better now.  As to marathons, I loved MCM.  I am planning on doing Chicago this year.  Chances of better weather is at MCM.

mommymac, hope you feel better.

Knit Queen, donating blood also exhausts me for some reason.  Hope your energy is back up soon.

Ginny, enjoy the rest day.

Arimathea, nice run.  At least the box of chocolates is empty.

camille, nice hike, hillier or not!

Have a nice night, ladies!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Arimathea

Tessa

Yes, I'm missing DD. But we'll see her in 4 months, and it's much easier this year -- I know she's settled in and she's spending time with friends and enjoying herself, and we've worked out a regular phone call schedule. I touch base with her once a week and so does my mother.

The cats will miss her a lot. DS, too. He might fight with his sister on occasion but he does love her.

5.8 on the TM at lunch. Ribs are still hurty.

Carol, both MCM and Chicago fill very quickly. It's got to the point where they both fill within hours. MCM's problem is that they allow bib transfer so people snap up the bibs and then try to resell them for profit.

I am finding myself leaning more and more towards the small marathons. Envious of Karen's Mohawk-Hudson, that's on my list of New York state possibilities.

ginnyb

Carol....the Air Force marathon in Dayton, Oh. is not as big as Chicago or MCM, but it is a great marathon, I have only done the half, but the course is pretty much the same....

Camille....I know what you meant...if I keep doing them eventually I have to hit a time where I feel great the whole way through and yes, we are crazy!

Ginny

http://ginnybess.blogspot.com/

6/8 Hatfield/McCoy Half, 8/18 lake Erie Shores and Islands Half, 9/21 Mighty Niagara Half Lewiston, NY, 10/7 Cleveland Rock & Roll Half 10/6 or Detroit Free Press 10/20, A Christmas Story 5 or 10K Cleveland 12/7, Santa Hustle Half Cedar Point 12/15

Julie_D

Fire Jumper

Good evening, Ladies!

I had a WONDERFUL run with RB this afternoon.  It was so good to see her again, after the holidays made it impossible to get together for a few weeks.  I did 4 miles on the indoor track, working toward my 2013 goal of a 10K. My tail bone aches... but, it doesn't out and out hurt.  So, it's manageable, if not comfortable.

Karen - thanks for the cool race report.  I think it's wise for you to be able to do some goal correction based on how you feel and the conditions.  I hate to sound like such a novice.... but what is the difference in a BQ10 and BQ20?

You're coming to New York?  Do tell!  I may be able to come down and cheer!  Schenectady is an hour from here.

Carol - Do you have a Chiropractor?  I love it when mine "fixes" me... lol.  And, I've never tried inline skates.  I'm going to have to do that sometime.

Carolyn - oh dear... bless yer heart on the "change of life" thing.   And, we have one skating rink in my little town.  But, it is a very active venue. There are skating lessons for all levels, speed skating and derby.   I don't ice skate... there weren't many opportunities for that, growing up in GA!

Lisa - WTG.... one more pound toward your goal!

Ginny - Maybe trying roller skates would be fun, if you liked ice skating!

Tessa - I simply assume that DD took the chocolate with her, right? *wink*

Camille - I'm already dreaming about my spring and summer hikes.  I started researching routes over the weekend.  (I'm also dreaming of fresh tomatoes... go figure)

Damaris - I used to skate ALL the time when I was a kid.  Getting back on skates after several decades, has been a challenge.

Wow... active group today.  I hope I didn't miss anyone!

Be well,

Julie

5K's and Obstacle Runs

Goal for 2013:  10K

Icebreaker Challenge 5K, Girls on the Run 5K, Friehofer's Run for Women 5K, Hero Rush, Warrior Dash Florida, Warrior Dash Eastern NY, Turkey Trot,  Mud Mania, and yet-to-be-decided goal 10K.