Womens Running

We CRAZY for the WEEKENDS! (DAILIES) (Read 18 times)

Lizziebeerunning

Cupcake Connoisseur

Long run weekends!

October 4 - Milwaukee, WI - 26.2

November 14 - Richmond, VA - 26.2

March 21 - Virginia Beach, VA - 26.2

Lizziebeerunning

Cupcake Connoisseur

16.1 for me.

As much as I want to say that the run went awesome because of the weather - ugh, it didn't. Felt really hard and my legs felt like cement. Not sure if I didn't eat enough yesterday...or if the wind (very windy) was getting to me..but it just wasnt my day. Got a stupid bug in my eye around mile 13..so when I went to rub my eye, I basically rubbed salt in my eye. Oh boy did it BURN. The humidity may have gotten to me as well - it was 72 dewpoint when I started with a "feels like 84". The humidity didn't drop until around mile 10. It was kinda cool to feel the front come through and suddenly drop the temps! But who knows..just didn't go my way today. I had a better run last week and it was awful weather. 

This ends me at 50 for the week! Woot woot!

Heading to the pool today with HCF's family. Probably an all day thing..should be fun!

Docket - Kickboxing?! Where did you do that?? That sounds fun.

Run4kupcakes - Nice miles yesterday!

Margaret - LOVE your running story. Do you have any pictures from that first race in Hawaii?! I would love to see it Smile I love how your DH enjoys running like you do. I COMPLETELY agree with you on being afraid to try! I feel like I have missed out on some things as well. Funny, whenever Mammal is being an ass, my co-worker (and now very good friend who is about 8 years older than me) always tells me that I will speak my mind more as I get older because I will care less what people think of me. I AM LOOKING FORWARD TO THAT.

Hey! The 22nd is my very first bridal show!! GOOD VIBE WEEKEND CONTINUES! Though..I am more excited to hear about Margaret’s race and the baby runners Smile

Happy Weekend!

ginnyb

Sorry I have been MIA again for a few days.  When I am home I only have my phone and I hate typing on it, I make too many errors.

I started running in 1978.  Never, ever did anything in high school, I hated gym and playing sports because I sucked at them all, and up until my senior year I was pretty overweight.  After marriage and starting to have children I got into the fitness craze and aerobic dancing etc, etc. mostly for weight control.  Joined one of those spas in the 70's that were everywhere and they went out of business as fast as they popped up, when a coworker and I went to exercise one morning there was a sign on the door that they had closed too.  My coworker was a runner and she encouraged me to give it a try.  I remember putting on my old reeboks and trying to run around the block...it was bad!  But, I kept it up and I remember the first time I ran a mile without stopping, I was so excited!  Coworker coerced me to run a 10K when the furthest I had gone was 3 miles, but I did it and finished!  Never did do much racing, a few 5k's here and there over the years, but I never stopped running, except briefly during my 3rd pregnancy, but I started right back up and that baby is 31 now.I think it was Margaret who said her kids used to follow on their bikes while she ran and mine did also!  Only one son has also started running this past year and my DD is an exercise nut now!  As far as doing the half marathons , a friend of mine's daughter was a runner and my friend offered to pay for a trip to Disney to run with her daughter in a "minnie marathon" which was 9 miles.  I had never run that far so I started adding mileage and went on the trip of course, who wouldn't accept a trip to Disney?  So after I ran that and finished I thought why not try a half?  This was 2008.  Then I joined the RW women runners forum and here I am, many, many half marathons later.  I am really slowing down now though and not sure how many halfs I have left in me.  I was doing 3 or 4 a year, but now not so much.  Thanks for asking Sandy, I enjoyed reading everyone's story.

Not much running this week, but worked with trainer 3 days, so all is good.  Planning on a run tomorrow.

Ginny

http://ginnybess.blogspot.com/

6/8 Hatfield/McCoy Half, 8/18 lake Erie Shores and Islands Half, 9/21 Mighty Niagara Half Lewiston, NY, 10/7 Cleveland Rock & Roll Half 10/6 or Detroit Free Press 10/20, A Christmas Story 5 or 10K Cleveland 12/7, Santa Hustle Half Cedar Point 12/15

Anonymous Guest

10.7 miles for me this morning, 2.5 by myself, then the rest with one of my baby runners. He's the strongest of the group, so it was kinda nice to be able to talk to him about his goals for the next season and how we should approach them. He's the one that goes to India for a month in December, which really messed with his training for Houston last year. This coming year he's going to run The Woodlands instead, which is a month and a half later, and which means he'll be doing his longest runs in January and early February instead of trying to get them in while spending time with his family in India in December. As for the run, hot and humid, no surprise there. We finished up around 7:45 and it was really getting warm by that point.

Last minute cleaning and some food prep for the party this afternoon happening now. I think I need to run to the store for a few things I forgot, but I may wait until DH is back from his ride and send him since he needs to pick up beer and ice anyway. Ever since the fireworks on the 4th, Riley gets really anxious in the evenings when it starts to get dark, so I'm hoping the extra activity today will wear him out and he'll sleep through that this evening.

Margaret, love your running story! Definitely not by the book - that's the kind of thing they tell you not to do, but obviously with the right personality, it works. I'm glad you and DH kept at it, and how cool that your first several races were all over the world. And now we have you going to exotic places like.............Toledo. 

Liz, I swear, you can't predict how a run is going to go. Good weather helps, but then sometimes you'll have a good run in crappy weather or a crappy run in good weather. Plus you were probably expecting better weather to start - that was hella humid. Have fun at the pool today!

Ginny, i knew you'd been running for a long time, but I didn't know the whole story. Love it. We must have joing the RW forums around the same time - I think I started the summer before my first marathon, which would have been 2008. I have to admit I have trouble picturing you as overweight though, you are so tiny!

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I have OTF this morning (saw it was an endurance day) and 7 miles tonight.

Liz, it could be you are still dehydrated from the tough weather last week.  I remember being all tired all the time all year long when I used to run outside in this shit.  I have kickboxing videos, lots of them.  I used to do kickboxing at least five days a week including while running.  I used to have some abs.  Need to do that more.

Ginny, hoping you have a quiet week otherwise.

Karen, nice run.  I can't imagine being able to run in India much, between the hot and humid weather, the strange place, etc.  Poor man.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Arimathea

Tessa

Not a long run today. For one thing I had a fruit pick at 9 AM and needed over an hour to get there (go down to Food Forward, leave car, pick up van, drive to location), and for another it was 85 degrees at 5:30. We are having a horrible heat wave. Got the pick done, only 3 showed up out of 8 people signed up, and it was pushing 100 by the time we finished at 10:30. Dropped off 8 boxes of oranges at the food pantry, went back to get my car, came home and collapsed. I did manage to get 4.25 miles in this morning.

Next week might be a longer run.

Half Crazy K 2.0

4.5 with a 5k in the middle. 27:11, slower than I wanted, but at least an improvement from last year. The hill in the last mile got me.

Lizziebeerunning

Cupcake Connoisseur

Rest day for me!

Pool day yesterday was fun! It was almost..TOO COLD to get in! Cloudy and in the mid 70's with 43 dewpoint. Man..does anyone else feel different when the seasons change (for those who experience season change Wink )? I always get flashback memories of what I was doing last season. Maybe I am weird..anyway..I started feeling like it was FALL out there. MAN I can't wait for Fall!

HCF and I have some adulting to do today. Laundry, grocery, Lowes (picking out new floors! YAY), and meeting with another (ugh, hopefully the last) wedding planner. This woman, and one other company I wanted to speak with before I made my final decision.

Good news is that NEXT WEEK MAMMEL IS ON VACATION. It is like a vacation for all of us!

Ginny - AW I love your running story!! Smile Hope you have a good run today!

Karen - Nice miles with one of your baby runners! Is he going to be joining you on the 21st?? Are you thinking about doing Woodlands next year? I saw Riley was pooped after the party! It was all that extroverting Smile

Docket - I didnt realize kickboxing helped the abs so much. HMMM. OH as soon as I read your reply about the dehydration, I got on my water intake. I am thinking that played a big role yesterday. I have a hard time keeping up with hydration on this hot as shit days. Hope you had fun at OTF yesterday! I am sure you nail endurance day.

Tessa - I am sure that fruit pick in the morning wiped you out! I heard on the news that CA is experiencing some awful heat right now.

Run4kupcakes - I didnt realize you were racing yesterday. Nice job! I guess it was an awesome day for it!

Happy Sunday!

kats

WINE o'clock somewhere!

Happy Weekend!

Lizzie, good luck with adulting.  New floors, fun!!!

Ginny, at least you are working out with the trainer!!

Karen, hope your pool party was a success.  Are you getting the rain we are here?

Damaris, hope OTF was good yesterday.

Tessa, that is too bad only 3 showed.  Pretty warm to be out there.  Nice what you do though.

HCK, I would be about halfway through the 5K in the time you finished.  Great job!!

Visit with Mom is OK at best.  She is frustrating, not wanting to do ANYTHING, at all.  I see the changes and we have had a few disagreements unfortunately about her doing too much.  I also found out she has been paying AOL $25 for their service - ON TOP OF HER INTERNET from Comcast.  She thought that was the only way to get her email.  This has been going on for many many many years.  Now I am worried about what other similar things that might be going on...  Sigh...  She did finally buy a laptop for herself.  Hopefully that will be fun for her.

I am plagued by my computer/camera.  The computer is not recognizing the camera after the last system update and for the life of me I cannot figure it out.  VERY upset.  Not in a crying way, a want to chuck things way.

Off to work in a bit.  I could use the break, but don't have my fun tech that I can vent to.

More storms on tap here, it has rained every day.  Mom is severely challenged by the humidity here.  She can do very little outside.  Part of our fight... she wants to continue to travel, but is struggling here to go out for even an hour and slowly meandering around the botanical gardens, stopping often for pics and taking sitting breaks.  She just refuses to admit she can't do as much.  Can she do things (travel excursions) at her own pace, yes.  But can she do them at the pace of the group, very questionable - and that isn't fair to the group.

Sorry, I just need to vent.  Thanks for listening.

K

Kettle Moraine - June 2024

Beast of Burden - August 2024

Hennepin Hundred - Oct 2024

Javelina Jundred - Oct 2024

Howdy!  7 wet miles this morning.  I drove over to Ocean Springs.  When  I arrived, checked my phone and my running buddy had a migraine and wasn't coming. It was raining. I was about to start the car and go home, but I saw a woman I kinda know and decided to run with her. We had a good run, I'm glad I stayed.

Yesterday I walked Skye and cut the grass.  Did some house chores. We were going to clean out the carport, but it rained buckets last night so it is too wet. Yay! I'd rather sew.

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  Ran 2 at OTF and 5 last night.  10 miles for tonight.  I am still deciding on what to wear for the race (since I have not enough INKnBURN to wear, obviously).  High for the day is like 88F.  FUCK THAT SHIT.

Liz, oh, yeah. Kickboxing is basically 90% abs.  Enjoy the rest.

Kathryn, ugh.  Parents can be frustrating.

Susan, nice 7.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Kilmisters

Karen, have a great party!

Lizzie, I agree w Karen - you can never ever predict how run will go based on weather. Or, in fact, anything else. Late, cold, windy runs after crappy day at work, 3-4hrs of sleep? Perfect. Weekend sunny run after proper nutrition and lots of sleep? Nah. Big grin Wooo on mammel's vacation!

This week. Wow. Thursday was quite ok at the start, but at around 4pm we discovered a major data f---up and the hell broke loose. Small human error w major implications. I was very frustrated w the whole situation (it wasn't my fault and nothing could be fixed anymore, but the whole ''explosion'', just... wow) and after work went to Old Town to meet old friend and grab a beer. We met English football fans at the pub, so had a great (no sarcasm) conversation about the ongoing World Cup. So, after returning home at around 8pm the negative work emotions were almost gone. I went to office early on Friday to do the small things I had to do regarding the said f---up, and when it seemed the things have calmed down again - bam. Development department asked for our help on major presentation (basically 8 year development plan) and now, as a part of it, I have a huge project on my hands, split in two parts, 2wk deadline for one, extra week for other. The outcome will be a simple map, but the way to get to those goddamn 50 figures will involve geocoding 200k lines, using geospatial software and pulling insane amount of data from our own data cubes. But..... Exciting task! (again, no sarcasm).

As for QOTD few days ago, I enjoyed reading all of your running stories! Mine is actually very simple. Up to 2015 I was running 10k max and didn't have any structure or goal. Sometimes it was once a week, sometimes - once in 3 months. Races - almost never. I was signed up for 10k race in Finland (dad was running a marathon there), but mom talked me into running a HM (a 3:13 marathoner telling me 10k is for sissies, how surprising). Longest distance I had ran was only 13k . SO... It was TOUGH. The day was superhot, course was rather boring. I struggled a lot, few walking breaks as well, sore legs for days after. But despite the hell that the run was, I loved something about the whole process and told myself I will run another HM, but this time - w proper training. And so it began Big grin After the said second HM I noticed a huge improvement in floorball, being faster, having better endurance etc. so didn't need any extra motivation.

''What will happen if I run up the hills? Ah, volcano muscle soreness!!'' (c) Margaret

''Who needs quads anyway!?'' (c) Damaris

Anonymous Guest

Yesterday was fun. We ended up with 18 people, I think, although 5 were kids so kept themselves entertained in the pool. Riley loves our next-door neighbors 2-year-old - they see eye to eye (literally) and she was often covered in queso. There were afternoon storms in the area, but all we got were a few sprinkles. It was actually pretty nice, as the clouds kept the temps downing the low 90s so the heat wasn't so oppressive. Comfortable just hanging out with feet in pool, as opposed to needing to stand in pool to stay cool while chatting.

We all slept in this morning (and Riley passed out before it got dark so no anxiety for a change!). I thought about a rest day, but ended up just running 4 super easy. DH blew off his group ride but is out riding easy by himself. He's traveling next week so won't get much riding in, otherwise he might have taken a rest day.

Damaris, I used to have some abs too. I miss them. I just looked up the weather from Missoula last year - the high was 98. And we all survived. It got hot towards the end, but there were a ton of people out with sprinklers and hoses and stuff to run through. Extra aid stations, sponges, cold towels, etc. The summer marathons are for fun, save the racing for this fall.

Tessa, that's some heat early! Don't blame you for not running long. I bet the fruit pick in those temperatures was enough of a workout for the day.

HCK, nice job on the 5K.

Liz, 43 dewpoint....what is that? I don't know if we go that low in the winter! I hope you enjoyed every minute. Adulting is more fun with your boy......ooooh, new floors! Whatcha looking at?

Kathryn, you sound frustrated and I don't blame you. That has to be hard to deal with. We've had storms in the area every afternoon/evening since the 6-hour rain on the fourth, but they all seem to go just to our north or just to our south. Yesterday we were looking at the radar during the party and the split around us - we just got a few sprinkles but it was storming all around us. I think it's supposed to rain this afternoon though.

Susan, glad the run worked out! Hmmm, cleaning out the carport sounds like a good job for DF - doesn't he have a bunch of use it or lose it time off?

Not sure what we're going to do this afternoon. Dog is sleeping, house is still clean (party clean up was literally 10 minutes of putting food away and emptying the cooler, wiping down the counters, putting the pool cleaner thing back in the pool and emptying the trash), we have plenty of food.....I don't have any chores to do! Seems like a good time to get caught up some more with the running group - we're less than two weeks from the start so there's a lot to do.

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

Docket_Rocket

10 miles done.  I can't breathe well in this stupid weather.  Richard might start me on prednisone.  Great.  I'll gain like 20lbs for a meager 3% increased in breathing capacity.  I must be below 50% again, sigh.  Seattle, where are you?

Elina, sorry about work.  Hoping things improve this week.

Karen, that's great so many showed up.  As you can see, I don't do well in heat and humidity, but since MT is so not humid, it might be OK for me.

Tessa, hoping the weather gets better.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

Meh, I started prednisone.  I stopped fighting it.

Damaris

Fundraising Page