Womens Running

Tiny Buddha Challenges - January 2018 (Read 24 times)

dhuffman63

Trails

Jan 1 - Help a stranger in need.

When was the last time you saw a stranger in need?  Did you stop to help?

How can you overcome helping in the future?

Has a stranger ever offered assistance to you?

Arimathea

Tessa

Um. I work in downtown Los Angeles. I see a number of strangers in need every day. However, what they need is not something I can provide, and what they want me to give them is a hardship for me and no help for them. They need a place to live and in many cases treatment for mental health and substance abuse challenges. They want money from me and others so they can purchase drugs and alcohol. I don't usually help. I have offered food and been rejected. Yes, I could give the person a dollar. But if I give a dollar to everyone panhandling on the street, that's going to be a substantial amount on a monthly basis. I do donate money and time to charity.

If it's need other than money for dubious choices -- directions in our big and busy city, for instance -- yes, I will stop and help. And yes, I've been assisted by a stranger.

dhuffman63

Trails

Jan 2 - Ask your newest friends or coworkers when their birthdays are so you can make a note of this for the future.Then be sure to wish them a happy birthday.

Who are some new people in your life with whom you'd like to develop closer relationships?

What's something simple you can plan for these people for their birthday?

Docket_Rocket

From Jan 1 one:  It has been a few months since I helped a stranger in need, but depending on the situation, I do help.  We have a lot a homeless down here which makes me reticent to stop sometimes, so working on maybe helping someone, including the homeless, more often.

We had a stranger offer assistance to us, I think, in every place we have traveled to.  Either we are lost or look lost, but people tend to offer their assistance.  The only place no one wanted to help us was in Prague.  My least favorite place to visit, mostly because of that.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Arimathea

Tessa

Jan 2 - Ask your newest friends or coworkers when their birthdays are so you can make a note of this for the future.Then be sure to wish them a happy birthday.

Who are some new people in your life with whom you'd like to develop closer relationships?

I could try, however I'm not incredibly good at remembering when older friends' birthdays are, let alone newer friends, and everyone except maybe my closest family members are lucky to get an email or text.

Lizziebeerunning

Cupcake Connoisseur

My coworker is somewhat new in my life. Well, our relationship is. We have grown really close over the past couple months. Maybe because of our hatred of "The Mammel" Wink I love her like a sister now and don't know what I would do without her. I hope we continue to get closer this year. If we happen to not be working with each other anymore - I really hope that we can keep in touch and stay great friends. Not sure what I will do for her birthday. Maybe homemade cake?! Smile

Would love to get closer to HCBF's sisters, too. I always wanted a sister Smile

October 4 - Milwaukee, WI - 26.2

November 14 - Richmond, VA - 26.2

March 21 - Virginia Beach, VA - 26.2

dhuffman63

Trails

Jan 3 - Ask a friend or coworker who seems frazzled if you can help with anything.

How do you usually look or act when you are frazzled and in need of help?

How does it affect your life and relationships when you feel overwhelmed?

Whats' the most helpful thing someone could say or do for you when your feeling this way?

Lizziebeerunning

Cupcake Connoisseur

Jan 3 - Ask a friend or coworker who seems frazzled if you can help with anything.

Whats' the most helpful thing someone could say or do for you when your feeling this way?

When I am frazzled my mind goes a mile a minute! It affects everyone around me because I become a bitch. Smile One of the best things to say to me is offer assistance or just leave me be until I figure it out.

Arimathea

Tessa

I get really bitchy and irritable. And the most helpful thing anyone can say or do is LEAVE ME ALONE.

My take on this is certainly ask if you can help with anything, however be prepared to hear "No thanks, just go away" or be prepared to do what it is the person asks.

Docket_Rocket

IMO, I don't get frazzled or in need of help, which complicates the issue, because people don't ask or don't know I'm in need of.

My first trial was a disaster. I felt I knew nothing. The judge at the end told me he threw everything at me and my face remained like nothing.  Inside, I was dying, lol.

So, I look like a bitch that's in charge of everything when I'm frazzled or in need of help. If you see that, please don't believe it.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

dhuffman63

Trails

Jan 4 - Focus on one thing at a time today instead of multitasking, as as act of kindness to your overworked brain.

How do you feel when you try to accomplish many things at once?

What unkind things do you say to yourself when you struggle to do this effectively?

What can you say to yourself that would be kinder when you're tempted to do too much?

Arimathea

Tessa

Jan 4 - Focus on one thing at a time today instead of multitasking, as as act of kindness to your overworked brain.

What unkind things do you say to yourself when you struggle to do this effectively?

What can you say to yourself that would be kinder when you're tempted to do too much?

Pulled in too many directions.

You are doing too much. You deserve some chocolate.

You are doing too much. Say no on occasion.

However I'm not very good at saying no. My attitude is I'll sleep when I'm dead.

judyruns

Mighty Mouse

Jan 4 - Focus on one thing at a time today instead of multitasking, as as act of kindness to your overworked brain.

I focused on one thing at a time accidentally before reading the questions and I did not get frazzled.

I feel like I am not accomplishing any of the things.

How will I ever get these things done???

One thing at a time.

Where is the "any" key?   

judyruns

dhuffman63

Trails

Jan 5 - Connect two friends or acquaintances that you believe could help each other, or who might hit it off romantically.

Has a friend or coworker ever made an introduction for you that changed your life? If so, how did it help your life for the better?

What might have happened (or not have happened) if not for this introduction?

Lizziebeerunning

Cupcake Connoisseur

I thrive when I am multi-tasking and make more mistakes when I am not. Odd, yes. Sometimes I do try to get my entire "to do" list done in one day when it is just not possible. I have to remind myself there is always tomorrow!