Womens Running

Eve of (Over 40) (Read 20 times)

More like mid-day, to late afternoon for us with title but nonetheless it's our title for the day.

Last night made a few dozen Torcetti.  Old Italian cookie recipe with yeast that my mom always made.  Like most older recipes the sugar is on the outside.. tons of butter on the inside so healthy by no means.  Fun though to watch the dough rise, make the ropes, roll in sugar... eat with wine or coffee. Flaky, crunchy, go down way to easily.

Also made Chocolate Crackles yesterday with the grands. Perfect cookie for a kid to help with!  I rolled the little chocolate cookie balls and they had to completely cover them with powdered sugar.  They had fun and I could easily tell if they touched their face and needed to wash hands. LOL

Teacher DD is here and she and DH frosted the super dense sugar cookies. They just cut them from in the trays he had pressed the dough into.  I made frosting and that worked out well too since the cookies were the consistency of dog biscuits.  DH didn't say it but I bet he was also thinking "Apparently one is supposed to follow time limits for baking cookies."  One of Santa had the leg sort of break and Andrew started calling it a pirate cookie since it looked like he had one peg leg. We thought it was a pretty good day for them, they said that had NEVER frosted a cookie before (I think they're off on that, because I'm certain we did this last year too but maybe we just sprinkled cookies or made a different kind). They were excited to be bringing them all home for Santa but when dad asked them if they had fun, Zoey said "Fun? No we didn't do anything fun. We just stayed here." Oh well.  Was good having teacher Trina here because she is so good at redirecting and staying on top of actions we diverted any meltdowns (of dh or of kids).  Andrew missed 2 days of school last week because he was sent home behavior 2 separate times. We will see them again on Thursday... not sure exactly where stepson is going but he has a new girlfriend so I imagine there. Both his own mom and the kids' mom are out of state. I know, I feel so guilty for not doing more with them. I'm conflicted because of many things.  But this isn't Festivus.

I was gone in AM for PT and yearly mammogram... then had to stop by the grocery store AGAIN for cough medicine for Zoey.

Heading out to the gym to burn off some cookies.  Then making a real batch of sugar cookies, wrapping a few last presents.  DD's are all going to be here tonight and we're making pierogis then mass.  Should be fairly quiet.  Just us on Christmas Day. All kids coming on the 26th.

Lisa

Camille-ws going to ask about a mug rug but I can figure it out.  Sounds cute.

Sue-good thing you are an endurance athlete! needed it this weekend!

Judy-what's with people and wanting things to be running related.  I'm sure it's because they worry about you but the other side is that they are jealous and want you to stop for that reason.  That's why it really bugged me that it's my knee of all things.  I hate being stereotypical and having it used against me. (I know, it probably should be but I don't like it.)

Cindy-Costco has to be worse than mall or grocery store!  Running in rain - okay. Caroling in the rain - not okay. LOL

Tessa-my mom used to save the leftover fruit cake, freeze it, then the next year take it out and dip small slices into chocolate.  Best fruitcake ever!  Yeah for no more chemo!  Boo for no RN for 6 days (wait, you didn't mean nurse, did you? darn, that always gets me.) I'm "off" until the 2nd too but will be checking things.

Karen-mean people and liars suck.  I hear ya on the cookie problem.  I'm bringing it on myself.  Also have ingredients to make those little wreath cookies. And pizzelli. And Nutella cookies. And chocolate chip. Although this may require more butter. So you're liking your new projects at this job? What sort of things exactly are you doing?  I recently talked to the Art Director from a construction association and thought of you.  Not most flattering comment but it's true.

Marjorie-never heard of cheese straws either. interesting!

Lisa

Arimathea

Tessa

Lisa, those cookies sound good. And just about any cookie is going to go down well with wine!

Good for you for having the grands and giving them things to do. Sorry DH did not read the directions for cookies -- if it is any comfort DD did the same thing the first time she tried to make toll house cookies. Butter doesn't cream too well when a) it is straight out of the fridge and b) everything else including the flour and the chocolate chips is already in the bowl.

I have to admit, though, that at the first glance the picture you posted of the ropelike cookies made me think that you'd finally lost your patience and disembowelled somebody.

No, I didn't mean a nurse, RN is Running Neighbour. I could use her name but I'd rather not, this isn't a prominent part of the internet but still...

Awake, supposed to be working but doing a bit of socializing, waiting for 6 AM to wake DH. Last day. I may suggest going out for breakfast afterwards to celebrate. RN and I already did 4 miles. I still have a few gifts to wrap but that's about it. Services at 3, 5, and 10 PM. And I must do some work on the second soprano part in one anthem, I tend to sing the melody and that's not my part.

Safe travels to those traveling and good luck to those hosting family! Merry Christmas.

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

Never heard of cheese straws?  Oh Lisa you are missing out. They are southern but so yummy.

I'm working today but expect it to be very quiet. I am sneaking in a run.

We we will go to 4 pm services as it will be quiet. Our midnight services are at 10 and will be in Spanish. The 530 is all kids. The 730 will be packed since the choir has that mass. Since they are offering a 4 we will do that. We could go tomorrow but we always do Christmas Eve. True midnight is at the Cathederal but I really don't want to go downtown and parking is tough. I haven't gone to run yet. So I must get out the door. Worked a few hours already so I can take a break to ho run.

Marjorie

Anonymous Guest

Morning all, working this morning (although there's not much to do, so I'm here, and on facebook, etc. in between getting things done). We close at noon, and since I start an hour early I'm closing the computer on the kitchen table at 11. Then a run and I have to shop somewhere for a couple $5 gifts for a white elephant gift exchange at our friends house where we're doing Christmas Eve. It's a lot of fun, there are kids and adults and Stu (host of the party) takes great delight in "stealing" presents from the kids. They are all usually pretty good sports and at the end everyone ends up giving the kids the stuff they really liked/wanted.

Yesterday I rode my bike on the trainer for an hour then went out for a 4 mile run in the neighborhood. Met another neighbor that runs. He wanted to know what type races I ran, what I was training for since he saw me running all the time. He's run 9 marathons, is frustrated by trying to qualify for Boston, so is taking swim lessons and is going to try triathlon. Apparently there are about 4 guys that run pretty seriously in my neighborhood. I've met two of them and he was telling me about the other two. And they have put me in their league - almost like I've made it into the cool kids club. If running was cool, that is....

Lisa, mmmm, your cookies sound better than mine. Nice that the grands got such a positive fun experience. Doesn't your daughter teach autism kids or special needs or something along those lines? I bet she was really helpful with them. New job is great, although I still have a ton to learn. It's a lot different from what I was doing, little to no marketing. We have a certified product program and a certified installer program and I manage both. It's a lot of organization and making sure things are consistent. And right now a lot of learning.

Tessa, congratulations on the LAST DAY of radiation. Best Christmas present ever.

Marjorie, hope your work is as quiet as mine this morning. Enjoy your run.

Merry Christmas Eve everyone and have a great day today and tomorrow!

karen

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

HI!  Up early to go run the bridge with my running buddies.  We are crazy.  It was cold and windy.  Did 6.3 miles total.  Brr!!

Work is pretty quiet.  I brought my knitting just in case Wink   I finished Randy's hat last night.  think I will take a few rows out of Dad's hat--think it is too long.  We get off 2 hours early.

Yesterday I made those browned butter snickerdoodles with a piece of caramel in the middle.  OMG are they goood!!!

Still need to wrap gifts, make gumbo for tonight, coconut cake and Meyer lemon tart for tomorrow.  Whew!  I could have really used another week of Christmas prep!

Yay Tessa--glad radiation is over.

Lisa, Karen, Judy and everyone--have a Merry Christmas!!!

SugarLand

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!! Have a blessed day

Merry Christmas eve day to everyone!  Sadly I don't live near enough to the cookie bakers here to help you out with the cooking eating, a task at which I am particularly gifted.  DH and have our own Christmas today then go up to my Dad's for family Christmas tomorrow.  And then a second family Christmas at my Dad's on Saturday after my sis and family arrive from overseas.

Lisa, anything flakey, crunchy, buttery and sugary would be short lived around me.  Sounds like a fun day, ignoring what the GD said, with more fun in store today.  I've had a similar conflicted relationship with my stepson, who's 20 and pretty much does his own thing now, although always invited to come here.

Tessa, hooray for the last day of radiation for our DH.  You deserve breakfast.  With lots of Mimosas.

Marjorie, I vaguely recall my great aunt making cheese straws.  I suspect that I would like them.  A lot.

Karen, running is a secret cool club that most people just don't know about.  Fun to find that you have running neighbors (or RNs, as Tessa would say).

CrazySue, is bridge-running a tradition?  Sounds cold!  Yum, gumbo sounds good.

Sugarland, thank you for the Christmas wishes!

Off to do a short run with DH and then wrap presents.  And probably do some yard work (gotta take advantage of a day off!).

Merry Christmas and happy holidays to everyone!

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

I did 6.2 miles. No burning so the nerve root is almost healed too. Yay. Did gave some ache but that is improvement.

Karen ive had 4 emails today versus the normal hundreds by now.

Tessa does your choir sing at all the services?  Ours dies just one. The children's choir does one as well.

Sue we are cooling down a lot too. 50s for my run today versus the 70s this past weekend

Hi Sugarland nice to see you.

Gatsby if you like cheese then, yes you would like them!

Marjorie

Gatsby--the bridge is the only hill in the county!  Well, at least the only one that is safe to run on.  Tuesday is hill workout day=bridge day Wink

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Hi, ladies. Sorry for being MIA but I had a big order due Monday and I worked all weekend at it.  Trixie's biopsy results are not in yet and now Hershey got some UT issue so he is a vet today, hoping home by tonight.  5 miles yesterday and hoping for 6 today.

Went to the surgeon and he agrees with my OBGYN, but he disagrees as to the source of the pain.  He thinks I have endometriosis to boot, which explains why I am in so much pain.  I just hope it's not aggressive to have me lose my ovaries too.  So, surgery is set for February 14 and now I can make plans for a Fall race schedule, woot!  I will have 4 weeks off running, 2 weeks off work.

Lisa, stop making me hungry!  Enjoy your DD's visit!

Tessa, hope you got your hubby for breakfast!  Nice run.

Marjorie, go to the Spanish one.  Should be fun (just kidding).

Karen, enjoy the short day at work.

Sue, hope the bridge run went well.

Sugarland, you too!

Gatsby, enjoy your Christmas.

Have a great day!

Damaris

Bikerchick1

Busy group of bakers here!!!  I used to bake, but now the DD's like to do it on their own....I am ok with that ....I am a "cookieholic"  and cannot stop once I start :0

We are having Christmas with the family the evening....then quiet day tomorrow (my fav).  I am always a little bit "grinchy" at Chirstmas, not sure why...but I really get a good case of the "blues'...went out for a beautiful, sunny, brrrr cold, snowy run this am to try to get rid of the "crabbies".  Had to turn back after about 1 1/2 miles, so ended up with 3, but the hip/hammie was killing me.   So rolled/motrined, and it is feelling better!

Wishing everyone a great Christmas Eve and Day!  Enjoy!

Carol

LC Runs

Hey Everyone!

Just popping in real quick to wish everyone a Wonderful Holiday!!!

Haven't run since Saturday.  Fusion class this morning.  Bitter cold today.  Oh well, it's not like there isn't a ton of stuff to do LOL

Hi Lisa, Tessa, Marjorie, Karen, Sue, Sugarland, Gatsby, Damaris, Carol and ALL THE WONDERFUL LADIES ON THIS FORUM!!

Love, Laura

Sugar cookies baked and iced. Also made from scratch pierogies and gnocchi. local dd brought us homemade tamales so a multicultural dinner. Hummus before hand so weve covered the metro Detroit ethnicities well. Fun making all of that with dds and no timetable to keep with or anyone to impress.

Carol-I get a bit blue too but that's mainly because I feel like we are responsible for so many others. My dds help but we do all else for rest of dhs family or nothing is done to get together. My family isn't that close.

Lisa

NORAD says Santa just left Nova Scotia and is headed for New Brunswick, Canada!

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR