Cupcake Connoisseur

I wish I was eating King Cake

October 4 - Milwaukee, WI - 26.2

November 14 - Richmond, VA - 26.2

March 21 - Virginia Beach, VA - 26.2

Lizziebeerunning

Cupcake Connoisseur

7.2 for me. Body pump tonight.

Not a good run. It was my own fault..I pulled out some shoes that I haven't worn in a while thinking - hm, why haven't I worn these?! I know now why. LOL. They are just worn..I felt every pain in my right leg/calf. Felt off and not in my usual stride. Oh well. Now I know! Smile

I am awful with surprises. I told HCBF I was coming last night LOL. Glad I did!!! He had only made a hotel reservation until Wednesday because he was planning on coming home to surprise me Smile So..he upgraded to a suite and we made dinner reservations at a really nice seafood place. I am excited. A little getaway. We haven't done that since MKE! Should be fun Smile He has meetings and stuff in the morning so I may come to work until noon. Less PTO!

Phone interview at 2:30. Not stressing it. Just going to be my sarcastic self. Smile

Ginny – I would gladly switch weather with you! Nice job on the miles yesterday! I say sign up for the half Smile Are you still planning on doing the one in TX?

Karen – Interesting about your foot with the cycling. I would think it would be the other way around! Good point about the daycare. They had an option to either keep him in the crate or put him in a suite – duh, put him in a suite Smile We are having the same gloomy weather! It sucks!

Laura – Nice mileage yesterday! WOOHOOOO for vacation!!!! Have a safe flight and have a GREAT time! Relax! You deserve it!

Happy Tuesday! I have to go walk the floors. Blah.

October 4 - Milwaukee, WI - 26.2

November 14 - Richmond, VA - 26.2

March 21 - Virginia Beach, VA - 26.2

judyruns

Mighty Mouse

Lizzie, they sell King cakes at my grocery even though we could hardly be any farther from New Orleans.  They also have Paczki and they look so good! Sorry about the shoes. I have had that experience with forgetting what the problem was with certain shoes.

Monday’s checkup went well. In the later afternoon I did 45 minutes at the gym track.

Today I think DC and I will go to the gym.

Safe and happy runs, All! 

Where is the "any" key?   

judyruns

dhuffman63

Trails

How nice Lizzie, he sounds like quite the catch.  I'm so glad you found each other.

As for interviews...I used to "practice" by going to ones where I didn't really care one way or another about the job and those were the ones I always did well at...no pressure, just fun talking to new people.

Yesterday was rest day...supposed to do 5 today so hope the headache goes away.  DH surprised me with Ghiraldi chocolates last night.  He actually we out of his way to find some good chocolate and wasn't happy they didn't have Dove or the German kind.  As long as I point him in the direction I want he's quite the sweetie.  I just have to remember to ask for what I want/need cause he doesn't read minds.  The chocolate was a surprise though he's learning....lol.

I've got a webinar this morning but I'll try and pop in and say Hi to folks.

Dog walk + 3 miles this morning.  Hip/lower back is a bit sore but I'm happy I got out there.

Ugh.  Need to go to the shipyard to have a new CAC (ID) made.  Quite a PITA. Will blow my whole morning.  I'll take knitting. Always have to wait.

Lizzie--Have a fun "surprise" w HCBF.  DF returns tomorrow afternoon, so I need to bake a cake today...but which one??? So many choices. And what to make for dinner??? I'm thinking sauteed scallops, if I can find some.Lizzie--good luck on the interview today. We had king cake Sunday at church.  Yum!

Karen--I reloaded Garmin on my laptop this morning and it started communicating to Strava again.  IDK what happened. If I use different methods to upload activities, such as manual (for swimming) or my phone, does that turn off the Garmin connect??

Let the good times roll!!

RTurtles

Running with the Turtles

Happy Fat Tuesday!  I already had pączki over the weekend.    DD really likes them, so we buy them right away when we see them.  I may pick up some good ones from the bakery on the way home from work.  Not much going on with me, still not running.  My foot is feeling better though, so I will see how the 5K on Sunday goes and evaluate from there.  I have been doing the monthly challenges and my ab work.  I noticed that all the planking from the last 2 monthly challenges has helped me to do more push-ups.  So I will definitely keep working on the abs!  I finished "The Last Days of Night" and I am now reading "Carnegie's Maid".  Thanks for the recs!  I have a little bit of a cold too, nothing too major though, so I can't complain!  

Lizzie, sorry about the bad run!  Nice that you will have a little getaway with HCBF!  Good luck with the interview!  Speaking of cake, DH brought home a homemade red velvet cake from a bake sale.  It was actually really good!     We haven't had the crazy temp swings here.  But we did get another 4-5 inches of snow over the weekend.  We have a lot of snow on the ground right now!

Diane, nice surprise from DH!  Good point about telling men what you want.  Most of them need the hints!    Also, nice that you could help that lady.

Sue, cute Mardi Gras pic!  That is a lot of beads.    Hope you get the new ID quickly.

Laura, have a great trip!

Karen, "The Last Days of Night" was very good, very interesting.  You would probably not think that based on the subject matter.    I learned something.    I see that it will also be a movie.  I guess it's not surprising, it reads like a movie.

Waves to everyone!  I won't try to catch up on everything.  

Cathy

ginnyb

3 miles on the TM this morning, went okay, it's done.

Lizzie...I wish I were eating any sort of cake.  Have a good time with HCBF!  Good thing you told him of your plans!

I have been semi following weight watchers the past few months and have dropped some pounds, but now I am starting to crave what I have been denying myself.  As long as I don't over indulge I should be okay.  I have put on and taken off these same 10 pounds for 30 years I swear, I should just say screw it and allow the extra 10, but I feel so much better when I lose it and everything fits so much better.

I am going to Columbus for the long weekend to stay with with my friend and do some shoe shopping.  I desperately need new running shoes and I have such a time finding ones that work.  Columbus has a much better choice of running stores than little Sandusky, so I should have some luck I hope.  Plus I need a little getaway time, really looking forward to it.  Hoping to get in a run there too, they have spectacular running there....running sidewalks everywhere in my friend's neighborhood of Dublin, Ohio, just everywhere.

Judy...glad the checkup went well.  They sell King Cake here too and the Paczki too.

Sue...glad the back is better.

Karen...it does seem like your foot would bother more while running than cycling, weird.

Diane...enjoy the chocolates and hope the headache goes away.

Hi to everyone who follows.

Ginny

http://ginnybess.blogspot.com/

6/8 Hatfield/McCoy Half, 8/18 lake Erie Shores and Islands Half, 9/21 Mighty Niagara Half Lewiston, NY, 10/7 Cleveland Rock & Roll Half 10/6 or Detroit Free Press 10/20, A Christmas Story 5 or 10K Cleveland 12/7, Santa Hustle Half Cedar Point 12/15

Seloc

Quick fly by here - work is insanely busy.  Soooo many tasks.  7 mi this morning 10*.  A little breezy but wasn't bad.  SUPER happy we haven't had more snow.  LOTS here still.  Supposed to be almost 40* tomorrow as a little teaser.  I'll just be happy with "average" at this point.

Weekend was fun.  Full 8 hours of basketball watching on Saturday.  4 games and they came out tournament champions so that was fun.  Didn't get to the cabin until after 10pm and then I left at 9am so kind of a whirlwind but great to see my sister and family.

I've never had king cake or a paczki haha

Lizzie - awww that's so awesome you are having a little getaway!  You deserve it!!  And perfect timing with your rest day on Thursday.  You two are adorable.

Laura - have a GREAT trip!!  OMG you need this getaway from the frozen tundra.

Diane - great job keeping up with your training!

Hi Cathy, Ginny, and everyone to come.  Gotta run...

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I have Pilates and 8 with 3 @ Tempo tonight.

Hubby definitely has a cold.  Just hoping it's not the flu because his brain surgery is two weeks from now and I can already feel my throat catching it.  Ugh.

Lizzie, Nice run.  Yay BF!

Judy, glad the check up went well.

Diane, did you ever get offered the positions for those interviews?  With my luck I would get those and not the ones I wanted, lol.

Susan, nice run.  Hoping the hip gets better.

Cathy, no idea what those are but I am sure they are delicious!

Ginny, nice 3.

Sandy, nice run!  Sorry work has been a pain.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

dhuffman63

Trails

Hi Ginny, Judy, Sue, Ginny, Sandy.

Damaris, some I did and they actually turned out to be good jobs.  Some I wasn't offered so no loss there.  I've not left a job where I didn't have one waiting.

Anonymous Guest

Liz, last night when I was going to bed I realized Wednesday was Valentine's Day and had the thought that HCBF seems like the kind of sweet guy that would come back and surprise you, and was going to suggest at least dropping a hint or two so you guys didn't each end up in the other place! So I'm glad you're not very good at keeping secrets. Ugh on the shoes. I need to get down to the store and get some new shoes as my two favorite pairs are both over 300 miles and I have marathons coming up. It was so much easier when they were there with the store open every Saturday morning at the end of our group runs.

Judy, yum, I could go for some packzi right about now.

Diane, sweet of your DH to bring the sweets. I hope the headache goes away.

Susan, weird on the Strava. Manual entries shouldn't mess with the Garmin Connect connection/upload. I do manual entries for OrangeTheory and it still automatically pulls in all my Garmin runs.

Cathy, glad you liked the book. I had read a good review, but with the subject matter didn't think I'd find it that interesting, but I did. Then a few weeks after reading it DH was watching some show on either the History or Discovery channel about Tesla and Edison and Westinghouse and I started spouting things off - got some pretty major nerd points there. I downloaded the book again from the library and put it on his kindle and he read it when we went to visit his mom in Florida.

Ginny, I"m down to the last 2-3 pounds of that stupid 10 pounds and lately have been craving sweets like crazy. I feel your pain. That magical moment when I weighed myself a few weeks ago and was at my goal weight.......apparently my scale battery was going dead and giving bad readings.

Sandy, you sound busy! Hang in there.

Damaris, you need to stop catching stuff!

I still don't know what I'm going to do today workout wise. I was going to go to OTF this morning, but then lost track of time. I need to take Riley by the vet and get him a bordatella shot as his expires next week and he won't be able to go to daycare without a booster. I kinda want to ride my bike on the trainer and see how the foot/ankle reacts, but if that is indeed the problem I don't want to make it hurt again. Rain on and off all day - I may wait for a dry spot and get a few miles in.

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

Arimathea

Tessa

Cathy and Karen, thanks for the book recommendations. I just put both of them on hold at the library.

No gym yesterday because I forgot about a lunch to fete two promotions. (No, neither of them was mine!) No gym today either, lunch meeting.

Waving to everyone. Pazki -- Damaris, you have probably had their close cousins, they are jelly donuts. Surprised you've never had king cake.

4 this morning with RN. Missing lunch runs! Class again tonight.

Quick check in to report that I have never heard of “packzi”. Googled it, scanned a couple articles, but still unclear about why a Polish pastry is associated with Fat Tuesday.  Mostly it’s just odd that there’s a sweet out there that I haven’t heard of.  I have had king cake.

Did a short easy run yesterday, SRD today.  At work on my phone now so I’ll just wave to everyone.

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

RTurtles

Running with the Turtles

Margaret, pączki is popular in the Midwest where there are large Polish communities.  It is associated with Fat Tuesday because it was a way to use eggs and lard before Lent in Poland.  

Half Crazy K 2.0

Around here the pasties are called fastnachts. Pretty sure they are the same as paczki.