Womens Running

First Weekend in January (Over 40) (Read 229 times)

Bikerchick1

Marjorie - Somehow I have a hard time imagining you doing "nothing".....nice that your work is all done!  Glad that you have spoken with your DB, doesn't sound like it has straightened anything out, but at least the burden is shared.

KarenAG - Heck ya, I am still staying with you!  Enjoy your 50k today...

LisaMarie - My fav running tights are about 7 years old that were on clearance at Target!  Always fun to have new running clothes.

LisaMMR - Looks like you had a nice time in the Big Apple!  Will surely miss you at H&M.  Enjoy your cold run today.

Julie - Sounds like a peaceful way to start your morning!  Hope your tailbone is cooperating.

Carolyn - Looking forward to meeting you @ H&M!  I don't think DH and I have ever been to a coffee house together either - except to run and get myself a cup to take out...

AmyTHM - Nice job on the run!!!  Isn't 20's a little cold for your area?

Bikerchick1

ugh...hit the post button before I was done..

Ginny - Where do you live in Ohio?  It would be great if we could drive down together.

LCruns - Down here in the "big city" we are running at 8:30 for 10......probably only 1-2 others this week.  Looks like some snow might be coming tonight tho Sad

Tessa - Nice spreadsheet....would you add me...full/staying with Karen.

I ran a cold 4 miler last evening....outside for the first time in my Newton's....gotta say I am lovin' em!  Today am busy cleaning/purging, taking things to Salvation Army...and trying to keep DH moving Roll eyes to help with some of the decluttering, (much of it is his stuff).....

Back later!

Carol

Linda

Carol:  I love my Newtons!

I finish my intervals.  My kids coached me through them.  It made it a lot more fun.  I did OK--really fast in the beginning, then I tanked on the 6th.

IG profile @lindasig_runs

Headsweats Ambassador Discount Code  "LINDASIGRUNS"

Over 45 PR's:  5K - 21:21, Half - 1:39:49, Full - 3:33.47

runlikeagirl18

Hi ladies-

I got out for 6 miles this afternoon with my Saturday running buddy. It was a nice day for it, and it felt great - I'm really glad to be back in the swing. Shin felt pretty good.

Marjorie - glad that you have someone to at least talk to about your dad, even if he's not all that helpful.

Karen - can't wait to read the RR! I hope it warmed up a bit for you.

Tessa -  I don't know that I'll stay Saturday night at H-M. Since it's only about 4.5 hours, I could potentially linger into the afternoon. Of course, if I wind up riding with Amy and AmyDel, it will depend on their schedules as well.

Lisa-Marie - add me to the list of folks who buy running gear at Target. I love the C9 by Champion tanks for summer.

Lisa - sad face that I won't get to see you at H-M, but I completely understand. And Shadows sounds like a more than adequate compensation!

Julie - I hope your tailbone continues to improve. Careful on those roller skates tomorrow!

Carolyn - I believe the second half has the bridge, while the first half has the big-ass hill. I'm planning on the second half, and I think Ginny is as well.

Amy - I was able to run a bit later in the day, so it wasn't so cold.

Ginny - congrats to your GD! That seems like a short game  - my 2nd grader plays 4x8:00 quarters, though he isn't playing the entire time.

Laura - that's cold. I think that, like you, I'd have to get out the door before I thought about it too much.

Linda - I actually really like tempo runs. I usually do long ones when I'm training for a half - something like 2 mile warmup, 7-8 miles at HM pace, and 1-2 mile cooldown. I love the mental focus it takes me to get through one.

Carol - nice that you like the Newtons! I really like the colors.

Off to take a shower - I'm pretty stinky. Have a great evening-

Cindy

2017 Races: Turkey Strut 5K 11/23, Mistletoe Half Marathon 12/2

Hey!  Had fun at the MS Blues Half Marathon in Jackson.  Gun time was 2:08:15.  IDK my chip time.  With all those hills, time is fine with me.  I was just starting to get really tired near the end.  So glad I didn't do the full again.  I think the temp was about 35F.  Finshed before it started raining.  The medal is a guitar, you also get a harmonica, shirt (yay it's a women's shirt this year!!, gear bag and a CD of MS blues artists.  Oh Tessa---this year they had peanut butter and banana sandwiches on white bread as part of the after race feast.  I was thrilled to have hot chocolate and tomato soup.  I was so tired -- hurt to drive home 3+ hours.   Just hurt to sit.

Welcome Damaris!

One of DS2's friends was killed in a wreck last night.  Drunk driving, hit a power pole about a mile from here.  Sad.  Another kid was injured-he is stable.  Another of his friends tried to get the kid not to drive and then thankfully refused to get in the car with him and walked to Waffle House or something.   Very sad.  I think he was a National Merit Scholar and an engineering student.  He was 21.  Played soccer with DS2.  Second funeral in a month -- another soccer kid was killed in a wreck in December.  Too many funerals.

I am too tired to cook and too tired to pick something up.....I'm beat.  Those hills really beat me up.

LC Runs

Hey Carol!

Yeah, I saw the forecast...guess I will just check it out in the am and see what it's like.  I don't mind running in the snow, just not sure how the roads will be.  I'll text you Big grin

Docket_Rocket

Hi, girls.  Thanks for the welcomes!  I did 11 miles this morning asthma free.  That's all I can ask!

Marjorie, thanks for sending me to this group (so long as they don't card, LOL).  Did DH evern take the pups to the pool?

Anonymous Guest, hope the 50K went great.  My first will be in March and I'm still scared.

Lisa-Marie, hope the run and the museum were fun.

MyMomRuns, I loved Rockefeller Center at this time of year.  So pretty!  Sounds like you had fun...and slept (even without knowing), LOL.

Julie_D, pets are great comfort warmers, aren't they?  Hope your tailbone feels better soon.

mommymac, a day to yourself is well earned, I'm sure.  Hope you enjoyed it.

Tar Heel Mom, hope your run went great.

Ginny, hope your workday went by fast.  Enjoy your run tomorrow.

LC Runs, I live where it's 85F most of the year and I agree with you.  I would prefer 14F as well.  Sounds like your run went well.

Linda, I hate 800s as well.  Those are long enough and fast enough to get my asthma to respond.  Hope you did yours well.  I have not watched the Pi movie, but hoping we get to watch it soon.

Biker, getting a husband to move and do something is an art that I have not mastered.

runlikeagirl, glad your 6 went well.

Crazysue, sounds like you did great!

Thanks again, ladies, for making me so welcome.  Sorry I'm late in posting.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

ginnyb

Carol...I live in Sandusky....Lisa would drive down from Detroit and we would meet along the turnpike...we will have to talk...I am right on your way I think, not that I would mind driving.  Once my DH took me to a McDonalds and Lisa and Susan picked me up there...when we went to Karnel's service they picked me up at a stop off of the turnpike.

The reason GD only play 2, 7 minute halves is because it was really an exhibition ending the season for the younger girl's BB season, so every age group played just a short time, first and second graders, 3 and 4th...etc. etc....

Crazysue...great on your time!  So sorry about your son's friends, that is so darn sad..how is your son?

Work was pretty quiet today for a change, so it was good.  I am now veggin out in front of the TV.  Did the same thing last night...I watched 2 movies that I just think are so funny  , "New in Town"  with Renee Zelwinger (spelling) and "The Proposal" with Sandra Bullock...they both make me laugh out loud.  Has anyone seen Les Miserables yet?  I saw it last week...it was a little long and I just couldn't wrap my mind around Russell Crowe singing, but it was good.  Anne Hathaway was amazing I thought and Hugh Jackman...

Ginny

http://ginnybess.blogspot.com/

6/8 Hatfield/McCoy Half, 8/18 lake Erie Shores and Islands Half, 9/21 Mighty Niagara Half Lewiston, NY, 10/7 Cleveland Rock & Roll Half 10/6 or Detroit Free Press 10/20, A Christmas Story 5 or 10K Cleveland 12/7, Santa Hustle Half Cedar Point 12/15

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

Linda I like hills.  I don't get to do thm often as we don't have them here.  But I started my running career on hills so I guess they are my thing.

Damaris no worries on when you post.  We will see it.

Sue that is a lot of swag!  3 hours after a hard run is hard.

dh did take them to the pool  He has done it a few times without me before.  He survived.

Marjorie

15.25 this morning for me.  Had warmed up in the 3 hours I was out.  Was 28 when I finished. Warmth would be nice.

Lisa

Disney freak

The new clothes worked out great.  The jacket made it real easy to regulate my temperature, with an awesome hood that actually stayed on.  The only problem I had was that my arms got real hot – even my jacket sleeves were wet with sweat.  I ended up taking off the jacket halfway through the run, only to have to put it back on 5 minutes later.  The long sleeved cold shirt just wasn’t enough.

The tights were super awesome.  They fit perfect and felt like I had nothing on!Big grin

Marjorie – how was your nothing day?  I’m planning on taking on one after church tomorrow.  The only thing on the agenda is laundry.

Karen – how did your 50 k go?

Lisa – I saw the rink several years ago and agree with you – it seems much bigger in pictures.

Julie – the coffee sounds great.   I only drink one cup  a day, but it’s Starbucks from my Kuerig.

Carolyn – did you enjoy your day to yourself?

Amy – nice pace with the hills!  I can’t get myself to run them yet – I try to stay on flat areas...

Ginny – what do you do that you have to work on Saturday?

LC – there wasn’t much variety in the clearance stuff – I lucked out that they had some in my size.

Linda – I don’t have different types of runs yet – still just working on mileage.

Carol – I don’t tell the family when I am decluttering.  I just do it, and don’t ask for help.  Otherwise, I get “but I want that!”

Cindy – glad to hear your shin is feeling better!

Sue – can you post a picture of the medal?  I’d love to see it!

Damaris – the museum was a lot of fun!  It’s brand new, and it was HUGE!

Lisa Marie

• first 5K on 12/8/12 - 39:14
                        • first 10K on 1/12/13 - 1:23:45
                        • upcoming races: Hypnotic Donut Dash - 1/26, Hot Chocolate 5K 2/9, Rock n Roll half relay 3/24
                        • training for Big D half on 4/14

Linda

Ginny & MarjorieI like hills, too.  I have hills on almost every run.  They are fun and I think they really help your speed.

I just got back from basketball.  Both kids loss.  One is crying.  Nothing ice cream can't fix.

Lisa:  28 sounds cold to me

welcome Damaris

sue:  I'm glad you finished before the rain.  Congratulations.

IG profile @lindasig_runs

Headsweats Ambassador Discount Code  "LINDASIGRUNS"

Over 45 PR's:  5K - 21:21, Half - 1:39:49, Full - 3:33.47

annieSusan

Ginny, DH and I just got back from seeing Les Mis. I thought it was great! Glad you liked it too. It did make me wish I had a better knowledge of European history.

Treadmill runs this past week due to icy conditions. Also signed up for a master's swim class on Wednesday mornings. I hope I can improve my technique.

annieSusan

Arimathea

Tessa

22.5 today, rolling hills, dirt and asphalt. I did this route last in June and ran out of water, no commercial establishments for miles and miles, so this time I wore the hydration backpack. Didn't need it -- there's a big difference between June running and January running -- but I wanted that reassurance that I was not going to run short of water. So big loop way out in the country. I was flattered when a guy in a pickup drove by, leaned out of his window, gave me a thumbs up and yelled "you rock!" Not bad for a woman who'll be 50 next birthday. I also finally found where the PCT leaves Agua Dulce and heads north again, for a short distance it runs on the road and then leaves the road and resumes going cross-country. I've been looking for the point of departure for some time and just figured out that it runs longer on the road than I thought. .
                              Arimathea

Tessa

Carolyn, Carol, have you on the H-M list. Carolyn, the second half has the swinging bridge. The first half has the hill. Carol, are you doing the half or the full?

Linda, if you don't want to go too far from home, how about Paso Robles? That's in October. Not especially hilly. Or Santa Clarita is rolling but mostly flat, it is the first weekend in November, if you are not allergic to cats you are welcome to stay with us. Malibu has some tough hills. SB has one bear of a hill which is at mile 23.

Amy, if you need a minivan, you may want to rent one and split the cost between all those going. I've done that before.

Welcome Damaris!