Womens Running

Wish Upon A Star WEDNESDAYS! (DAILIES) (Read 20 times)

Lizziebeerunning

Cupcake Connoisseur

I saw 4 shooting stars this morning! I made lots of wishes Smile

October 4 - Milwaukee, WI - 26.2

November 14 - Richmond, VA - 26.2

March 21 - Virginia Beach, VA - 26.2

Seloc

Tessa – crazy for you, too!  Why in December, that’s what I keep saying?  Nice job with the miles and dropping the lbs – especially this time of year!  But, how do you abstain from the wine??  That’s my problem.

Kat – hey, we can be fat, old and grey together!  OMG I was laughing at the thought of seeing the nekid bod LOL  I can relate.  No idea about menopause.  My Dr told me this fall that I’m still too young ??  I’m almost 49!  Still on BCP and everything appears to still be functioning as normal haha  Way WAY TMI haha  Nice job on the run!!

Karen – super ugh on the short course.  I feel SUPER bad for the BQ folks.  Wow.  Saw some of the thread on FB.  You do have a really great attitude about it.  How are you feeling?  Were you sore at all?

Lizzie – oh now on the tire issue!  SUPER frustrating and annoying.  Glad you got it all resolved, though!  Well, I work DT so there is no free parking.  I’m at the meter today.  Yesterday’s ended being $13!!

HCK – sorry for the annoying work week.  Unfortunately, I can relate.  Um yeah, wind like that is NO FUN.  But, kudos to you for hoppin on the ol’ ‘mill!!

Damaris – woohoo for Chicago!

HH – way to get the miles in!  You have a treadmill at home, I take it?  Nice job getting some shopping done as well.

Well, it is confirmed.  An object at rest stays at rest.  Beat the rain/sleet/snow into the office.  Commute home should be super fun.  Another TURD, I’m sure.  And how is it only Wednesday?  I need to shake things up a bit, I think, to get out of this pattern.

Lizziebeerunning

Cupcake Connoisseur

9.2 speed work miles for me. I did 12x .30mi/w .20mi rest. Then .20mi/w .20mi rest. Tough one.

Great run this morning. It was tough, but it was great. First real speed work I have done since my last training cycle..so my body had to be reminded Smile But my intervals were in the mid to upper 8's. Last training cycle they kind of stuck in the mid to high 9's. Heat and humidity could have played a role in that..but is interesting to see them a bit faster. We had awful winds last night..so much so that I couldnt really sleep. Things kept hitting the house and scaring me. LOL. So I was prepped this morning..layers..hand warmers..had the hood of my jacket up..I walk outside - no wind. LOL. There may have been a slight wind but NOTHING like last night. I was still glad I double layered though because it was 21 degrees! Not used to that!

I am still mad at myself for hitting that stupid curb last night. Just couldn't afford a $200 tire! And I am mad my car did not have a donut! Seriously. For the amount per month I pay for that car I should have a button that puts the freakin tire ON! I was thinking about getting a second job last night - I could always wait tables. But then you kiss your weekend and holidays goodbye! Ugh. I am going to give the engineer who helped me some cookies and $20. Haha. Man, he is a cutie Smile

I am ready for this week to be over.

Karen – I am surprised that you say you would run it again – it sounds boring. LOL. Just because it seems like a lot of highway running. I guess you get good views of the coast? Was there much to look at? I don’t even know why I ask that because I never notice any of my surroundings when I do a marathon. If they changed the course from last year I can see how the shortage could occur. Blah. Still sucks though. You still ran a great race! I am glad you aren’t that upset about it. I still am…only because this is happening more often! I just don’t understand. Don’t people take into account that amount of hours runners have put into that training? MUST.BE.ACCURATE. Hope you are recovering well!!!

Tessa – I CANT wait until I say good riddance to my period! Though, IUD has helped. But still..stupid hormones! Nice job on the treadmill run. Does donating blood really take that much out of you? They are having a blood drive here today actually. WOOHOO on 2lbs! I stick my cookies in the freezer..then its more of a pain to go in and get one..let it get to room temperature..and then eat. Seems to help me stay away.NO! My car doesn’t even have a donut. UNREAL.

Run4kupcakes – Smart to stick with the treadmill. I heard those winds last night and they were scary. I was shocked that I didn’t have them this morning! Agree on the strength training. Stuff hurts less. OH I can’t believe your neighbors didn’t offer to HELP!!! Seriously!

Docket – That is awesome about Chicago!!

Judy – Those curbs are dangerous!

HuronHeart – Amazon is the best!!! Nice running the past couple days. Whats the next race for you? Was it a work Christmas party? I find that offices are doing away with them. At least ours is! Sucks! Give me an afternoon off then. LOL. Oh, I have had a mailbox incident too.

Off to try and get through this day!

Lizziebeerunning

Cupcake Connoisseur

Sandy – Things are never TMI around here. Oh man..I am not sure I would have gone outside either in rain/sleet/snow mix! What are you thinking of doing to shake things up?? I agree..HOW IS IT ONLY WEDNESDAY? Have a good day!

Lizziebeerunning

Cupcake Connoisseur

I just read on the news that the "Geminid Meteors" peaked today. Whatever they are...so that must have been what I saw this morning! How cool! Kind of disappointed that my wishes won't come true. LOL.

Seloc

Lizzie - awesome run, speedy girl!!  Super happy the wind died down for you - the wind is the worst!  21* isn't so bad once you get used to it.  That is just strange your car doesn't even have a donut.  I thought it was a law or something.  Super nice of the cutie engineer and you are sweet to get him something for helping.  You know, it's funny, I always think of you when I am laying in my bed not wanting to get out and run but, lately that hasn't even been doing the trick.  Just stuck in a rut where I just go into work early.  I have so much of my regular work to do on top of these ridiculous tokens.  Then I come home and am beat and just lay around.  Rinse and repeat.  I'd like to go back to working at Target part-time.  Not for the money but, for something to do to get me out of the house.  I worked there a couple years ago for the season and it was really fun but got a bit nuts when they would schedule me upwards of 30 hours/wk on top of my day job.  Then, day job got super busy and a promotion required on-call which was even busier and started to interfere so I quit.  Hoping they will take me back!  The busier I am, the less I can procrastinate and get my booty moving again.  That's the long-winded answer haha.

dhuffman63

Trails

Kat I was 51 when I went into menopause but I think mine kicked in early due to the Graves Disease.  Other than no periods I don't really notice a difference.

Sandy if you figure out how to get out of the rut please let  me know.  I'm having the hardest time and I know Ginny has been also.  I'm afraid to sign up for the April trail marathon cause if I can't get my rear in gear it will not be fun and may turn out like the event on the 9th.

Lizzie, your speed work is amazing.  The lady up here who wrote up a training plan for me, she's a coach but up in Joplin and focuses mainly on road racing....anyway she did the 50k at the Jack (rail trail) and won it outright with a time of 3:59.  She posts her speedwork on FB and I just can't fathom times like that.  She reminds me of you.

Damaris, congrats on getting into Chicago.  You've done so much since your surgery it's incredible.

Hi to everyone!

judyruns

Mighty Mouse

Seloc, on-call is definitely a bummer. Not only the physical, but the mental “always ready” would not be fun. I did IT, but fortunately no on-call outside of regular work hours.

Lizzie, I have done the curb thing myself. At work there were all these skinny, curvy islands in the parking lot and those curbs were so likely to jump out and attack.

Our old gym (before it was totally rebuilt) was 13 laps around the one track and around 11 for the other one above the pool. That last one was terrible because it was more squared off and we constantly inhaled chlorine since it was open around and above the pool. The small one was like running in a small oval bowl.

Tuesday DC and I went to the gym together. I got in 35 minutes of running with a few dashes as well. We stopped at the grocery after our exercise since snow was coming. Meditation later.

Today I’ll use the TM if it starts snowing again.

Safe and happy runs, All! 

Where is the "any" key?   

judyruns

dhuffman63

Trails

Judy our fitness center's track is over the BB court and is 15 laps = 1 mile.  It's boring as all get out so I usually bring my earbuds and listen to music.  If there's anyone else up there I'll talk to them.  One lady who was going regularly but not anymore was a fruititarian.  Interesting conversation.

I miss all of the evening posts since I don't check back in after work and not again til the morning.

RTurtles

Running with the Turtles

Is it only Wednesday?    Planning to do a video workout tonight, Kettleball Kickbox, but depends how late I get home.  DD has a doctor appointment after school.  If it's too late then it will be a TURD.  We were walking my friends' dogs yesterday and one of the dogs would keep lifting up one of her legs and limping on the other legs.  Apparently she does that when there is ice or salt on her paws and once you brush off the paw she is OK.  You learn something new every day.     I guess this was really traumatic for her because she wanted to snuggle on my lap afterwards.  She is really too big to be a lapdog.

Lizzie, cool that you saw those meteors!  Nice speedwork and longish run!  I actually miss that.  I may have to do a progressive run on my next run.    DH is always running into curbs.  I don't know what his problem is.    That is awesome that the engineer helped you out!  Haha, we have the same thought about this week, only Weds.

Sandy, if I didn't have a TM at home then I would probably also have a lot of TURDs.  This morning it was really slippery out.  Winter weather advisory for us today, snow off and on all day.  At least it's a bit warmer.  Hang in there, you're almost at the end of your week and vacay, right?  

Tessa, nice job on the weight loss!  I had been gaining a little weight with the reduced running.  I started logging my food again, that helps.

HH-Kathy, we have been getting a ton of Amazon packages this week.    I still have to run out and get some things from stores but it's fairly minimal.  Nice job getting the running in!

Karen, sorry about the short course.  Man, that is happening a lot lately!  I'm glad you aren't overly upset about it.  Those out and backs seem to the be source of a lot of issues.

Kat, nice of you to deliver the vaccines!  I am still waiting on the "big M".  My sister is 50 and is still going strong, so I figure I will also be later rather than sooner.  

Cathy

Anonymous Guest

Liz, I hate that about new cars. We actually went online and bought a donut for my car, but to make it fit you have to also buy a bunch of other stuff and change out some things underneath. DH is hesitant to do that himself so I asked the dealer to do it when I got my oil changed. The guy at the dealer I talked to didn't understand what I wanted and tried mansplaining to me that my car doesn't have a spare but doesn't need it because I have the fix a flat kit. Which you just proved is not adequate for lots of situations! So now I have a tire in the back of my car while DH tried to find someone to do the necessary modifications to make it fit. Oh, and it is just the tire, no jack or anything else, you have to buy all that separately.

I won't get started on my rant how government keeps raising the fuel standards without any knowledge of how cars work. Cars are designed by engineers, not magicians. So in order to meet the ever-increasing standards they are doing dumb stuff like leaving out any extra weight they can (like spare tires), and designing cars to shut off for that few seconds you are at a stoplight and then turn back on when you take your foot off the brake, like mine does.

Anyway, nice speedwork for you today!! And glad the wind stayed away.

Aww, Sandy, I'm sorry the weather is sucking and your days are becoming TURDs. Fresh restart after MX maybe? And if you need a winter break sometime, just find a Texas race and come hang out with me for awhile. Every year when I shop at Target around the holidays I think I should try the seasonal help thing. Then I remember I hate people. I'm actually pretty decent at dealing with the public, I just don't like it.

Judy, the track at your gym doesn't sound bad at all. Well, the one over the pool does, but the one now sounds alright. I'm sort of thinking about checking out the Y at some point next year - they seem to have really nice facilities around here. I haven't yet because the closest is 20 minutes away so always seemed too far when I was already spending so much time working, but now, doesn't seem so bad.

So most of you know I run for the Texas Beef Team. They UPS'd beef roasts out on Monday to team members, scheduled for delivery yesterday. Mine was "out for delivery" at one point, then changed to delayed due to operating conditions, which I think is just UPS' way of saying we forgot to put the package on the truck. So my poor roast is sitting somewhere in the UPS system as the dry ice around it melts away. Of all the things to delay! And then there are rumors that the Boston jackets will be salmon and maroon. Really? I didn't think they could top the safety cone orange from 2014, coincidentally the other year I ran Boston. I just want a blue and yellow one - why can't they stick with normal colors???

Okay, I am going to attempt a few easy miles this morning. I have an appointment this afternoon to go over my colonoscopy results, then need to get my car inspected so I can get the registration renewed. Feels good to get back on the personals wagon, I'll be back later.

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

Anonymous Guest

Thought I had last night: I wonder if the short course issue is really happening that much more than say 10 years ago, or if it's just easier to catch now that everyone had garmins. The RD for Sunday's race was absolutely convinced he was right and was arguing his case (he apologized for his responses earlier) before he finally looked at some of the results on Strava and compared it to his certified course map, and even then thought people just turned at the half turnaround instead of the full.

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

dhuffman63

Trails

Karen I think it's a lot like the news these days.  It used to be you got your  news at 6 pm and that was it, now it's continual and it seems the world is a horrible place now.  Maybe it always has been.  I read the story about the race and kind of feel bad for the RD and all the people who wanted to BQ.

Cathy I have a TM at home and weights and the like and am still having trouble with motivation.

RTurtles

Running with the Turtles

Karen, I would agree that everyone using personal GPS devices makes it more likely for short courses to be identified, and also that social media spreads the word so quickly nowadays.  It probably also happened a lot in the past and no one ever heard about it!

I think in the short course situation the pacers are probably the first to realize that the course is short.  When pace groups come in 2-3 minutes early or are purposely slowing down at the end of a race then you know something is up.   

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I have 8 miles and weights tonight.  Woke up with a headache that I think it's sinuses from the cold and dry weather.  Oh, well.  A small sacrifice for running in 59F tonight and 45F tomorrow morning. Smile

Lizzie, nice!  I love shooting stars.  We love watching the Space Station as it passes near us (we get a text 12 hours prior) and it looks like a big shooting star that never ends.  Sorry about the curb and the tire.

Sandy, enjoy the rest day.

Diane, thanks and hi back!

Judy, enjoy the TM or the outdoors if it does not snow.

Cathy, kettleball kickbox sounds amazing.  I used to do kickboxing and loved it.

Karen, ugh at the beef (I didn't know you get free or discounted meat for being part of it?) and on the Boston jackets.  I love my hybrid and I wish they could make cars better quicker, but they should do it safer.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page