Womens Running

(Over 40) Went to the weekend, and what did I see.... (Read 24 times)

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

GL Tessa!

Any other racers?

Off to run then puppy pool.

Marjorie

Good morning!

Tessa-have fun with Scott's Bottom.

Marjorie-have fun at the puppy pool

Woodward Avenue Dream Cruise weekend here so we'll go up to watch the masses of people and thousands upon thousands of classics, muscle cars, and exotic cars drive back and forth. Definitely a Detroit thing.  Picture one of those classic car shows on uber steroids. With nice weather today expecting to bring in well over a million people stretched out over the 15 mile or so stretch of this iconic road.

Lisa

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

Have fun on Woodward Lisa

10.5 miles for me this am.

Marjorie

LC Runs

Hi Marjorie - enjoy the pool and run!

Lisa - woot woot, cruisin' Woodward lol!

7.1 miles, gorgeous morning.  Taking my older DS to get some soccer cleats, then we're all going to the county Fair this afternoon.  Kids have already gone with their dad earlier in the week, but I haven't been there yet.  I just walk around looking at exhibits and watching them on the rides.  Should be a fun day Smile

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  6 miles tonight.  Husband woke me up early, bah.  Hershey is again with another bout of peeing wherever he can so I'm watching him in case I need to take him to the vet.

Tessa, good luck!

Marjorie, nice run.  Enjoy the puppy pool.

Lisa, sounds like lots of fun.  Enjoy!

LC Runs, nice 7.  Enjoy the mommy errands.

Damaris

runlikeagirl18

Hi ladies-

I'm jumping on to say that I ran a 5K this morning. We're still in NY at my parents' house, and the county fair was this week, and they had an inaugural 5K, so one of my old high school teammates and I ran it. I finished in 26:11, which got me the dreaded 4th place in my AG, but the AGs were 10 years rather than 5 (so 40-49) so I'm ok with it. My friend was second. Gearing up now for a big party with the opportunity to see several old friends.

Hope everyone is having a great day. I promise to be better about personals when we get back to NC.

Cindy

2017 Races: Turkey Strut 5K 11/23, Mistletoe Half Marathon 12/2

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

Just took out a big tree by one of the ponds here in the neighborhood. I did 65% of it by myself until some guy stopped to help. The tree has been dead forever but was still a pain to get it out.

Marjorie

Happy weekend, all!  I ran 16, which included 8 with RC and another 8 helping lead a HMB marathon training run.  Strangely warm here today.  Might get into the 70s.  Very excited because DH and I just found out we'll get to do the NYC Marathon this November.  DH's friend works for Asics, who is a sponsor, and he had a couple of sponsor slots returned to him so he gave them to us.  Yay!

Damaris, I saw you posting in the NYC thread -- sounds like you'll be there too?  Where are you staying?

Tessa, all sorts of inappropriate comments could be made about you and Scott's Bottom.  I'll just say I hope that you have fun.

Marjorie, was the purple octopus at the pool today?  Tree removal should count as cross-training.

Lisa, the car show sounds like a blast.  Detroit deserves a little fun these days.

LC, enjoy the fair!  Nice 7.1 miles.

Cindy, nice 5K!  I'd be very happy with that time.

Hi to everyone else!  Enjoy the weekend.

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

Anonymous Guest

Time trial number 2 is done! I cut 3 minutes off my time from June, finishing in 1:12:30! Average speed was 20.5 mph, which I'm very happy with. I was averaging over 22 for the first half and feeling pretty good, then the wind picked up. The last 10K was directly into it and I struggled to stay at 18 or better. It was a good day but I'm beat. Trying to summon up the energy to at least walk the dog this afternoon. DH didn't race - he volunteered for awhile and then took a bunch of finish line pics. He posted a link to facebook and I just had to crack up. Some were blurry so he deleted them, and most people were lucky if there is one of them. And then there are like 6 of me. The two best ones:

1b

Tessa, hope you enjoyed (?) Scott's Bottom. And the rest of the race!

Cindy, nice race! I hate the dreaded 4th place though.

Gatsby, so awesome you get to run NYCM!!

Sounds fun Lisa.

Nice runs Laura, Marjorie and Damaris! Marjorie, that tree must have been one heck of a workout!

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

Gatsby yep. Purple octopus was used. He tried to take it home. Funny when he got out of the pool with it still in his mouth. He couldn't figure out how to shake with it in his mouth. He set it down shook and picked it right back up. He was not happy when we made him drop it before leaving.

Well done Karen.

The tree was a work out.

Marjorie

Bikerchick1

LisaMMR - Enjoy the Woodward Dream Cruise! Love to see Detroit get good press for a change!

Marjorie - Taking out a tree...wowza...you are hardcore Smile

LCruns - Were you at your local country fair?  We took Aly out to ours today...was a gorgeous day for it!

Damarias - Hope Hershey doesn't have to have a trip to the Vet Sad

Tessa - Hope you are enjoying your race....not even gonna mention Scott's bottom...Big grin (whatever that is all about, but it sounds interesting...I must have missed something)

Cindy - How fun on your 5K!!!  Have a good party too.

KarenAG - WTG on your TT!!!!

Gatsbybird - How fun to get to go to NY.

Question for all you experienced marathoners....Curious how much slower you run your LR's then MP and do you use any run/walk ?  Previously when I have trained for Marathons I have usually used a 10:1 run/walk.  My one RB is not doing run/walk, and says she is feeling better doing that and running them.  We ran our 16 yesterday, without run/walk, and just about at my MP...we did have 2 quick BR breaks...I know there seems to be a couple of schools of thought out there now about what pace for LR's, just curious what all of your experiences have been.

Anonymous Guest

Thanks Carol, it was fun. Although right now my legs feel like they are going to fall off! I am anticipating some Advil PM a little later.

As for the long runs, up until my New Jersey training this spring, I just ran my long runs at an easy pace, didn't pay much attention but much slower than race pace. For NJ, I trained with the Hanson plan, and for my goal marathon pace (8:12), they had me run my long runs at 8:51. Several times I didn't think I'd be able to do it, but I always managed to and it gave me a lot of confidence. This go-round I'm using mostly Pfitz 12/70. If I remember correctly, I think he says long runs should be 10-20% slower than marathon pace. With summer temps and humidity I've been running closer to the 20% than 10. I should also probably go check that I have that right before tomorrow's long run. Although tomorrow's long run will probably be slow and painful after today.

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

Arimathea

Tessa

Marjorie, I hope you didn't take out the tree with your car. That would not be good. Snickering about Hammy and the purple octopus.

Damaris, sorry about Hershey's return to inappropriate peeing.

Karen, ouch, you sound sore. I must admit that I misread your post at first and thought you were going for Adult PM and first thought "wait, she doesn't consume adult beverages" and then "adult  what?  Hmmm...." then finally realised you were talking about Advil PM.

Lisa, enjoy the Woodward cruising.

Laura, have fun at the fair!

Cindy, congratulations on your 5K, and Gatsby, woo hoo on the NYCM spots! Get thee online to look for lodging pronto.

Carol and others, I was disappointed to find out that Scott's Bottom is a portion of the river that is named after an explorer who mapped it. Darnit. A remarkable bottom owned by someone named Scott would have been lots more fun.

6:02 for the race today, including a bit more than was on the route map because the turnaround was near the top of the hill and I wanted to see what was at the top. Full race report later.

Peanut butter M&Ms and Mike's cranberry lemonade are an acceptable post marathon dinner, right?

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I have not even bought the Chicago trip, nor the MCM nor the NYCM.  Once hubby gets his starting date for the new job, I will book Chicago and hopefully will book NYCM soon thereafter.  I expect a $$$$$$ pain.

Happy weekend, all!  I ran 16, which included 8 with RC and another 8 helping lead a HMB marathon training run.  Strangely warm here today.  Might get into the 70s.  Very excited because DH and I just found out we'll get to do the NYC Marathon this November.  DH's friend works for Asics, who is a sponsor, and he had a couple of sponsor slots returned to him so he gave them to us.  Yay!

Damaris, I saw you posting in the NYC thread -- sounds like you'll be there too?  Where are you staying?

Tessa, all sorts of inappropriate comments could be made about you and Scott's Bottom.  I'll just say I hope that you have fun.

Marjorie, was the purple octopus at the pool today?  Tree removal should count as cross-training.

Lisa, the car show sounds like a blast.  Detroit deserves a little fun these days.

LC, enjoy the fair!  Nice 7.1 miles.

Cindy, nice 5K!  I'd be very happy with that time.

Hi to everyone else!  Enjoy the weekend.

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Trixie has thrown up three times today.  I don't know why but cats misbehave at the same time.  Of course.  Watching them tonight, but Hershey has behaved all day.  Hoping Trixie does not throw on me during the night (she sleeps in my arms).

Karen, I saw the pics in FB.  Great pics.

Night!  My 6 went awesome.

Damaris