Womens Running

Not so Weak Weekend (Over 40) (Read 17 times)

make it a strong one!

Lisa

runlikeagirl18

Wow, everyone must be busy this weekend! I got up early and out for 8.3 miles - my Saturday running buddy had to get her kids to the pool by 8:00 for swim team, so her only window was 6:00. It was pleasant to get it in before it got hot. But I have to confess that I went back to bed and slept for another 1.5 hours!

So next week is the last week of school, and DS1 is graduating from elementary school. Every year, they have a dance for the 5th graders, and it turns out that several of the boys, including DS, have asked girls to the dance. Sheesh, I'm so not ready for this - he's only 11! And DS1 is the kind of kid who doesn't like to tell me these things - I had to pry it out of him that he had even asked someone. He told me who it was, and then declared "I do NOT want to talk to you about this." I'm really treating it in a very low-key way; I don't want to make a big deal of it at their age.

Lisa - the trip to Chicago sounds fun!

Tessa - you mentioned Zipper the other day; I find what she does with the SCA so interesting. I see the pics she posts on Facebook.

Off to get ready for an afternoon of baseball. Waves to everyone who comes after.

Cindy

2017 Races: Turkey Strut 5K 11/23, Mistletoe Half Marathon 12/2

Anonymous Guest

Good morning!

I ran a 10k this morning in the next town over from mine. It's also A LOT hillier than mine. The weather was awesome - probably 60s during the race but the amazing thing was low humidity. In June! Finished in 46:38 (I think) which is a good three and a half minutes slower than my PR. I went out too fast, it hurt, I wanted to quit.There was one fast old lady there, but she won first overall. That left 1st in the 40-49 AG wide open for me and my dragging butt. Anyway, first place in my age group got me a gift certificate from Chipotle for free catering for 20! I guess at some point this year I'm going to have to clean my house an invite some people over for a party. Anyone want to come to Maryland and eat some tacos?

Cindy, your boys are awesome. I can't imagine 5th graders asking girls to a dance! Nice run, and I'd have probably gone back to bed after as well. My alarm went off at 6 (which is the same time it does during the week, but it just seems so wrong on the weekend) and I was really tempted to just go back to sleep. Glad I got out there though.

Okay, off to shower, then do some cleaning.

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

Toe not so strong. It wouldn't let me run. I stuck it out a mile.

Sigh

Karen boo to Brooks. That isn't great service at all. I will come eat tacos.

$225 later garage door fixed. Not as bad as it could have been. Didn't take him long to fix it.

Cindy I wasn't too busy today. Got hair colored (cut last week) today. Dh took pups to pool.

Marjorie

camille2

Karen, way to go on getting first AG!! Boo on Brooks. That might be worth a letter to customer service.

Marjorie, boo on the toe and on the garage door.

Cindy, 11 seems young for "dates," but it may be lower key than you think.  I remember all thru elementary school, boys would ask girls to Halloween carnival events.  Hay rides in the dark were the big thing. : ) Completely harmless in those days but might be more serious now.  BTW, going back to bed was perfectly logical-it's Saturday!

Tessa,  Shadow sounds amazing!

I just oust did my first race since Thanksgiving. I walked the 5 mi Ak Women's Run.  It has lots of walkers so was an easy way to get back into it.  Last year I average just under 9" mi.  This year I made it just under 14.  It was a little hard  to be passed so much and there were still people running till the end.  Run/walk, I guess.  It was a nice day-50's.  Lots of bands, the decorated porta potties, and Great Harvest cinnamon chip bread at the finish!  Sweet.  Glad I did it.

A belated happy weekend to you!  Hopped in the car early this am and went up to SF for a 21 mile training run organized by the SF Marathon (Damaris, I did not look for you there but thought of you).   Although I'm just doing the SF HM, I figured it was a good chance to see the (almost) full marathon course and run with some new folks.  Felt good!  Not so weak weekend indeed!

Hi Lisa.  Saw something about you going to Chicago... you there now?

Damaris, hope your HM with the hubby in Chicago went well (if it was today) or goes well (if it is tomorrow)

Tessa, how about a meet-up at Shadow next year?  I had a brief, fleeting thought at the beginning of the week, whilst in the middle of something nasty and/or aggravating at work , that I should just leave early on Friday and hop in the car and drive to Yosemite for the race.  But I'm not quite ready to do a 50k and I couldn't leave early on Friday anyway.  But I'm already thinking about it for next year.  Anyone else?

Cindy, I can't even imagine how awkward I would have felt at a 5th grade dance.  High school was bad enough, haha.  Today's kids seem much more social.  Or else I was just an exceptionally awkward kid.

Karen, hooray for yet another AG award!  I'd be in for Chipotle.... if I weren't on the other side of the country.  That crappy customer service from Brooks is lame.  I'd try to find another shoe supplier if possible.

Marjorie, sorry to hear the toe is still bothering you.  But good that the garage door could be fixed without costing and arm and a leg.  Or a toe.  

Camille, sounds like a really fun day!  Glad to see you finally made it back to Alaska.

Hi to everyone else!

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

Anonymous Guest

Tessa, how about a meet-up at Shadow next year?  I had a brief, fleeting thought at the beginning of the week, whilst in the middle of something nasty and/or aggravating at work , that I should just leave early on Friday and hop in the car and drive to Yosemite for the race.  But I'm not quite ready to do a 50k and I couldn't leave early on Friday anyway.  But I'm already thinking about it for next year.  Anyone else?

Well, I did decide if I was still employed and therefore couldn't do Boston next year, I probably wouldn't pick a spring goal marathon because of the move. I'll probably be running a crap ton of miles for sanity though.....and the year I ran Shadow we didn't get to run part of the course because of snow so I want to run it again sometime....

Bikerchick1

Lisa - Saw you were out on the trails this week-end!!!  At the bike ride yesterday met a guy and his wife from Detroit that volunteers at races with Running Fit!  He was giving me all the "inside scoop" LOL....talked about Woodstock...said it was pretty crazy.....he rides alot downtown Detroit, and think from what he said must have been a runner...back in the day.  Volunteers at all kinds of the runs in downtwon Detroit, including the DFP.  Said Corktown was getting too big, and that Marathoners are "smarter" then 5k's when it comes to races ...  He was pretty entertaining!

cindy - Your DS is really growing up....dance for 5th graders....I guess I don't remember that starting so young.  Think you have the right idea by just laying low with this.  Heck, the "dates" probably won't even talk to each other LOL...  Nice job on the running!

Karen - Great job on the AG win!!!

Marjorie - Sorry the toe is still bothering you Sad

Camille - Nice job on getting out there and doing the 5k walk!!!

Gatsby - Nice job on the 21 mile training run, you make it sound so effortless!

Can't remember when I posted last...it has been busy.  Did a 32 mile bike ride yesterday with DH, and 7 of our friends.  Was just a beautiful day.  Actually ended up with about 70 miles on my bike this week....of course my running miles are down...but that's ok.  These old legs can only do so much LOL..Today is SRD.

Carol

ginnyb

Went out and ran 10 miles this morning.   Really dragging the first 3 miles, I almost went home but kept going and actually felt better the longer I went.  Started pouring rain the last 3 miles, still raining here...not happy with rain on a Sunday, not fair!

Karen....congratulations on yet another AG win!  Boo on Brooks.  I would love to come to your party, too bad you are so far away.

Lisa...how's Chicago?  Sure you are having a good time.

Cindy...  5th grade seems young for a dance, but times are a changin' I guess.  I think my children's first dance was 7th grade and my parents wouldn't let me go to dances until I was in 9th grade!  That seems a little extreme to me as it did then!  Good on getting in an early run!

Marjorie...sorry about your toe.

Gatsby.....great on the 21 mile run!

Hi Carol...I took my bike into the shop for an overhaul about a month ago and have not picked it up.  I keep forgetting to go get it, better do that before they sell it or something.  Haven't ridden in over a year.

Well guess I am going to bake something now, not quite sure what yet...

Ginny

http://ginnybess.blogspot.com/

6/8 Hatfield/McCoy Half, 8/18 lake Erie Shores and Islands Half, 9/21 Mighty Niagara Half Lewiston, NY, 10/7 Cleveland Rock & Roll Half 10/6 or Detroit Free Press 10/20, A Christmas Story 5 or 10K Cleveland 12/7, Santa Hustle Half Cedar Point 12/15

Good morning!  One of my good RC friends is SO close completing her first 100 miler in San Diego!  She came through the last aid station at 5:45 am this morning, leaving 5.6 miles to go.  She was averaging close to 18 min/mile so she should finish around 7:30.  So exciting!

Karen, yes, let's do Shadow next year!

Carol, that's a lot of miles on the bike!

Ginny, sorry about the rain.  Wish you could send it to CA.

Going out for a short run (while continuing to monitor Ultralive.net).  Lots of chores to do around the house.  Be back later!

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

I want to be in on Shadow for next year.  Something to dream about!

Ran 15.3 yesterday on 2 mountain bike loops.  Pretty good but would have been better with company.

Carol-aren't all marathoners entertaining?  I probably would recognize the couple but offhand no idea.

Head to Chicago on Wednesday then back on Saturday.

Lisa

Bikerchick1

Lisa - I'm sure you would recognize them.  Both he, his wife and even grandsons volunteer.  Said at The Legend one time the young grandson was taking sips out of the Gatorade glasses  LOL....

Anonymous Guest

10 miles this morning, followed by a lot of cleaning. Yet my house is still a mess. A lot less dog fur though. How does one old dog that doesn't do much but sleep make so much fur? I was planning on running more than 10, but it was hot and I was tired, so I stopped. Next weekend I'm running a 10 miler on Saturday, then a 10K on Sunday. I'd like to do well in both (although I probably won't place in either - the 10 miler is a big race and the 10k is my running club series, so lots of fast runners and 10 year age groups), but if today is any indication, if I push it on Saturday I won't have much left for Sunday.

camille, glad to hear you're back on the race course. Even if it's walking, it's still fun to be out there. That's a pretty fast walking pace.

Gatsby, the SF training run sounds fun. And congrats to your friend! Shadow next year, it's a date!

Carol, nice ride yesterday. Nice that DH rode too.

Ginny, nece 10. It got hot here, I probably would have liked the last 3 in the rain. If it then stopped and was sunny for the rest of the weekend. I'm guessing that didn't happen though.

Lisa, well then, see you at Shadow!

Spent the morning between running and chores tracking a friend at the Eagleman 70.3. She is fast. Bike speed average over 22 mph, and her run was 7:26 minute miles! Her total time was 4:47, which is just unbelievably fast to me. She finished fourth in the 40-44 AG and is now waiting for the rolldown. Hopefully someone (or two) that finished ahead of her will turn down the Kona slot and it will get to her.

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

I taped the toe really well and ran 10.3.

Karen it is hot here too but a bunch of clouds were around so that helped.

Camille how are you feeling after the race?

Gatsby good for your running buddy

carol saw pics on FB. Do you have a Tri coming up?

we didn't have dances until 7th grade either

Ginny I don't mind running in the rain

Marjorie

camille2

Gatsby, how exciting for your friend! I cannot imagine.

karen, it's exciting for your friend, too! Sounds fast to me. Shadow sounds exciting.

It WAS a fast walking pace for me and I kept wondering how race walkers go 12-13.   People kept passing me though! You know how when you run, after a mile or two, everyone around you is kind of at thesame pace? You might target someone to pass or they might pass you, but it kind of settles down.  That was not the case here! I started near the end of the timed wave , too, and would pass people walking. They'd see they were being passed by an old lady and would start running!  No respect for their elders.  I even told one of the soldier volunteers at mi 4.5 that his job was not to let any others pass me and he said ok,  but he did NOT do his job.  Those runners...

marjorie, I'm glad to see a double digit from you.  I feel pretty good. glutes are a little sore, but no hip pain, a relief.  It was worse after all the sitting on the flight.  My sinus/ear stuff is gradually improving.

Carol...that's a long bike ride! Woo-boo!