Womens Running

Happy Monday (dailies) (Read 17 times)

Kilmisters

..yes, it can be! If it comes after exciting F-1 race last night, decent sleep, coffee w almond milk, no disasters of epic proportions in email and NHL-related discussion w friend on Messenger... Smile Doesn't take much!

''What will happen if I run up the hills? Ah, volcano muscle soreness!!'' (c) Margaret

''Who needs quads anyway!?'' (c) Damaris

Kilmisters

Margaret, that's what I am fearing - lack of motivation somewhere along the way. It's not only that there are no races or floorball games in near future; but with our current Covid situation it's not clear when those things will be back at all. It's not that tough to motivate yourself if you know first trail races come late March/early April and there are some winter options as well. Now? Who knows.

And yes - Michael Schumacher is still alive, but incapacitated. His son Mik is racing in F-1 right now and doing quite well for how shitty the car/team is. Surely, he'll transition to a better team in future - talent is visibly there.

''What will happen if I run up the hills? Ah, volcano muscle soreness!!'' (c) Margaret

Half Crazy K 2.0

Yay. Monday. I'll run after work. Hopefully it will be from home to the Firestone store to pick up my car. I dropped it off yesterday after the tire went flat on Saturday. DH filled it with air and when we looked it oveer, foudn a big screw sticking out of it. I doubt it can be patched, so likely new tire time.

GatsbyBird, fromm what I could see in the stores, the only tampon shortage was the ones I use (Tampax cardboard applicator), plenty of other brands and even other varieties. When I took DH's truck to continue my search (after the flat issues), I told him there are only a few products I am truly brand loyal to. This is one of them.

Kilmisters, we have races here, but I have no motivation to do them. I think I'm skipping my 5k Saturday. I see no point in driving 30 minutes to run a lousy time. It's also possible the awful weather from CA will be making it's way here, so that makes me want to do it even less.

kats

WINE o'clock somewhere!

Elina, glad F1 was good.  I didn't realize it was the US race, in Austin.  About 90 min from me.  I had known about Micheal Schumacher's accident.  Shame.

Margaret, did you survive the storm??  Can't believe you went out and ran in it.

Judy, glad to see you on, sorry your life is a bit challenging currently.  Hope SB run was nice yesterday, about ready to quit for the season.

Damaris, a FULL RD?  Awesome and in your PJ's, woot woot.

I worked the vaccine clinic yesterday, for the location fairly slow.  Steady but not long lines like normal.

OK peeps, guess what I just did...  So, I was supposed to go to New Orleans in mid November.  Mom had to cancel, she just isn't up to the walking involved.  So...  leaves me with 11 days off...  I just booked a flight and working on hotel to...  Portugal, Lisbon specifically.  I HAVE to take off the days or else I lose my PTO/floaters.  Mom and I were chatting.  I could sit on my ass for 11 days sitting around the house or do something.  I had some cash left over from Madrid, so done.  Wish they were back to back, but so be it.  I make good money doing the vaccine clinics and work hard at it.  Screw it, I am going.  I'll be honest, I kinda feel like a spoiled brat, but you only live once.  Flight is already booked and working on the hotel.

OK, off to shower soon for work and get back into the grind.

Happy Monday as Elina titled.

ETA, Kathi, I am loyal to my regular plain jane Playtex.  Have been for too many years, so I get it.  It would be nice to have that loyalty end...

K

Kettle Moraine - June 2024

Beast of Burden - August 2024

Hennepin Hundred - Oct 2024

Javelina Jundred - Oct 2024

Kilmisters

HCK, I wouldn't be motivated for 5k either, unless it was some sort of time trial in preparation for a longer (10k/HM) run.

Kat, wait, WHAT, you're heading back to Iberia still in this year!?? Haha, it's hilarious - in a good way, of course!! Watch out, girl, I wouldn't be surprised reading about a permanent move, if this keeps happening Big grin

QOTD: if you set a weekly mileage goal, but would NOT want to have running rest days (lockdown crazies, y'all!) would you split the kms/miles evenly among days (LR excluded) or make some longer to have a particular day (probably midweek) w real short duration (20-30mins)?

QOTD#2: any fun virtual races you're aware of? I feel like having to run X km at day Y could be some sort of additional motivator for LRs.

QOTD#3: I'm currently planning to move in 2wk increments (checking if mileage feels doable, then adding strength work, then if that still feels ok - add strides, then only if all 3 combined lead to no niggles/microinjuries  etc. - increase mileage [at first with no strides]). Does this make sense?

Signed,

Person in a strict restriction/lockdown situation.

Half Crazy K 2.0

QUTD 1, depends on the situation. If I was following some sort of training plan, I'd probably stick with it and have rest days at 20-30 minutes. Nothing planned, I'd be more likely to split the miles evenly, but maybe over 6 days and then day 7 is the super easy 20-30 minute run.

2, none that I know of

3, makes sense to me.

ccoakley

Kilmisters, normally I'd say you'd want to vary your running distances (and paces) to keep things interesting and I think variety is better for injury prevention but as a 1 off short-term motivation thing I have to say I really enjoyed my 10kadayMay.  It was nice not to think about what I was running and keeping a short term streak was great for me motivationally.  I know 10k is more than your mileage goal but maybe 5k a day?

HCK, we're new tire twins .  Hope it goes OK and enjoy your run!

Kats, awesome on the return trip to Europe!  Totally makes sense and a great use of those time off days!

Gatsby, nice that you were able to enjoy the rainy day.  When will you find out about western states?  I guess you need to keep a good base just in case?

Just got back from an easy 8mi.  Went a little bit longer for any extra immune boosting benefits I can get and in case I don't feel like running tomorrow.  Off for my covid booster and my 1st ever flu shot.  I have no idea what to expect in terms of side effects.....

Have a great Monday ladies!

5k 24:53 (2020) |10k 52:24 (2021) |HM 1:57:14 (2019) |FM 4:24 (2007) |50k 5:57 (2022)

Kilmisters

CC, covid booster..? As in - 3rd shot?

Half Crazy K 2.0

ccoakley, I've gotten a flu shot for the last 20 years. They've always given them at work since schools tend to be a hot bed for flu, it was a no brianer, even before it was required. This year was the only time I've ever had a side effect and the srore lymph nodes lasted less than a day.

Good morning to all.  Survived the storm but more are coming later this week.  Sun is out today but I have to get to work.  SRD today.

CC, I'm in 2 drawings for WS, one in mid November (my RC) and the official one on the first weekend in Dec.

Have a good day, all!

Kilmisters, see responses below.

HCK, I wouldn't be motivated for 5k either, unless it was some sort of time trial in preparation for a longer (10k/HM) run.

True.

Kat, wait, WHAT, you're heading back to Iberia still in this year!?? Haha, it's hilarious - in a good way, of course!! Watch out, girl, I wouldn't be surprised reading about a permanent move, if this keeps happening Big grin

Anything is possible.  Just sayin'

QOTD: if you set a weekly mileage goal, but would NOT want to have running rest days (lockdown crazies, y'all!) would you split the kms/miles evenly among days (LR excluded) or make some longer to have a particular day (probably midweek) w real short duration (20-30mins)?

For me, doing the same distance repetitively would not make me happy.  If I wasn't taking any rest days, then I'd schedule one day that's very short and easy, for a mental break.  

QOTD#2: any fun virtual races you're aware of? I feel like having to run X km at day Y could be some sort of additional motivator for LRs.

No, sorry.  The virtual race thing sort of ran its course (no pun intended) here and people aren't interested in those any more.

QOTD#3: I'm currently planning to move in 2wk increments (checking if mileage feels doable, then adding strength work, then if that still feels ok - add strides, then only if all 3 combined lead to no niggles/microinjuries  etc. - increase mileage [at first with no strides]). Does this make sense?

You might consider adding a cut-back week after 2-3 cycles of ramping up.  

Signed,

Person in a strict restriction/lockdown situation.

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

kats

WINE o'clock somewhere!

Elina, I actually am VERY seriously considering a move to Europe, and Spain and Portugal are highest on my list as of now.  Though in the next few years, who knows what might change.  A friend in Portland is also serious about it.  He and I are planning a trip in 2023 to Spain/Portugal to evaluate more.  We aren't planning on moving together, just are both very interested.  I thought of other areas such as Panama, as it used to be the highest rated place for expat retirement.  I'd rather be in Europe though.  This isn't a new thought, maybe for the last 5 yrs.

Gotta boogie, at work.

K

Kettle Moraine - June 2024

Beast of Burden - August 2024

Hennepin Hundred - Oct 2024

Javelina Jundred - Oct 2024

ccoakley

Just back from my shots, went with 1 very sore arm over 2 slightly sore arms.  So far the arm is sore and I have a headache but I'm also just now eating anything after my run so hopefully that helps.

Kilmisters, I originally got J&J so I schedule a pfizer booster as soon as it was allowed.

Gatsby, that's not too long to wait to find out.  Probably just enough time for a plan B idea to take shape just in case.

5k 24:53 (2020) |10k 52:24 (2021) |HM 1:57:14 (2019) |FM 4:24 (2007) |50k 5:57 (2022)

Kilmisters

CC, hydrate and consume calories and it should all be good. But if fever is coming, don't repeat my mistake by trying to fight it; just take a nap.

Kat, ha! I KNEW IT! Well, Iberia (ESP/POR) has not been a shitshow lately, so that's not a bad call, and the weather is amazing. You'd have to learn the language, tho, it's not like Scandinavia where basically almost everyone speaks decent English, regardless of age.

50mins + core workout today. Day 1 wasn't that tough, but there was still some huffing and puffing involved, haha.

Docket_Rocket

Happy and Monday don't go together!

I had PT this morning and 5 later.

HCK, ugh at the tire.

Kat, Oooh Portugal? Awesome.

Elina, I would have some really short runs and some longer runs during the week instead of same mileage. although when I did the 100 mile week I had to basically run 15 miles every day but I split it in two.

CC, good luck with the booster. Nice run.

Margaret, that storm was crazy!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

Just looking at the wind today (30mph) and the rain (flooding advisory) and how nice it will be tomorrow afternoon, I think my RD should be moved to today and then I'll run in the sun tomorrow.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page