Womens Running

Throw Down Thursday (Dailies) (Read 17 times)

Beats Throwing the opposite direction. So there. Take that.

About to head out to throw down some miles before work. LOL Went to Hot Vinyasa last night.

Tomorrow is my Summer Friday so I'll see DD off to Indy then go and check out a couple of apartment places again. I think I have decided on moving to an apartment vs buying the condo I am in. Having the opportunity to live closer to trails and where the morning running is nicer is huge for me. Will be double the distance to work but right now I'm about 15-20 minutes so pretty spoiled but that comes with the tradeoff of being in a not very scenic area.

Liz-ah... so wonderful on your dress still being the one! Of course it is. You have great taste!

Sue-Yeah for making it to your class! You'll get there on the arms.

Karen-ugh on the temps down there. We keep going back and forth but such is spring in the midwest.

Cathy-The most annoying part of the step challenge for me was the people who you know are fudging numbers then naturally assuming that the honest people are doing so too. HOWEVER, I will say that during our work challenge even though I saw coworkers bouncing at their desks to get steps (sort of walking in place or just bouncing on their toes since we have stand up desks) at least they actually WERE moving more. And I commended them on that. Even if they are inflating numbers they are moving more and that is the actual point of the challenge. Then again, I am not known for my super competitive nature. LOL

Judy-good choice on the TM with the off and on storms.

Damaris-glad you had fun in court. Not many get to say that. Woohoo on getting the second interview!

Carol-have fun with your 20 today! temps should be good but hope you don't get rained on.

Laura/Carol-I need to get with the two of you to coordinate some visit time in August when Elina is here and we are either pre- or post- North Country since we will be up north and can make it work to come that way.

Ginny-I need to get with you also about you coming up to Detroit to go to one of the Cleveland/Detroit baseball games while Elina is here also in August. We can get out for a post race run/hike on some trails too.

HCK2-nice miles after work!

Margaret-I think you had snow in Antartica, didn't you? We had it at Beaverhead too. BTDT for you. No problem.

Lisa

Docket_Rocket

Morning! Pilates for me today.

Lisa, you leave for your run when I leave or prepare for work.  Have fun.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Lizziebeerunning

Cupcake Connoisseur

Running rest day for me! I went to a 5:45am Body Pump class.

I need to do that 5:45 class more. Much easier than the Sunday mid-morning one I usually go to. Good class but I am jello! Smile Will still try and get in my 10,00 steps today. In a legit way of course Smile Planning on a double digit tomorrow but plans could be ruined by some storm chances in the morning. We will see..not like I am training for anything so no big deal if I am not able to get that run in, right? Smile Would like to, though!

Can you ladies believe a year ago tomorrow is the day HCF proposed?! So crazy. Hoping to scoot out a little early to get down to the beach. I have a fire call at 4..but I can take that anywhere.

Run4kupcakes – Glad your power didn’t go out! Hmm..wonder if my issue is more the time I am out in it. IDK. It sucks all around and I want Fall.

Margaret – I keep forgetting that Summer is your “Winter”. Snow on the course should be a fun new challenge 😊 How are you feeling???

Lisa – OOO..so you already have a place in mind for the new place? That is nice! I made my last apartment choice based on the running routes 😊 Moving to a new place is exciting! Good point about the step challenge.

Docket – When is the second interview?!

Cathy - Are you all ready to go for your first day of marathon training next week?! I excited to try my new one come July!

Better get to it! Have a good day everyone!

October 4 - Milwaukee, WI - 26.2

November 14 - Richmond, VA - 26.2

March 21 - Virginia Beach, VA - 26.2

Good Morning!

4 mile run/walk this morning.  I hope the day goes quickly.

Lisa--I would pick the running trails over the office location anytime!

Hoping it will rain today, but I do need to stop at Lowe's on the way home and get another hose and sprinkler before the front yard burns up. I hope Skye will be good.

Have a fun day!!

Seloc

Howdy all.  Under 7 yesterday and nothing yet today.  This high hamstring issue has reared it’s ugly head so trying to manage that.  Sitting at dinner for two hours the other night did me in.  This grad and wedding season is making me broke!  I finally went and bought a pack of grad cards so I could stop running to the store every other day.  LOL

All I want to do these days is read on the patio.  LOTS of good books thanks mostly to Cathy and Karen’s suggestions.

Damaris – WOOHOO congrats on 2nd interview!  Good luck tomorrow!

Lizzie – the marathon training class I signed up for is $125 for 15 weeks of training.  Tues evenings hill/speed (which I probably won’t go to) and Saturday morning long runs.  All supported – meaning water/Gatorade every 3ish miles.  Pretty sure a hat or shirt is also included and discounts at the LRSes.  The long runs are in areas that typically have port-o-pottys or you could always find a gas station.  I know you are used to running in neighborhoods so this would probably be different for you depending on where your group meets.  You can talk or not talk, it doesn’t matter.  Runners are, in general, pretty welcoming IMO.

Kat – oh man on that blister!  How is it feeling?  Yeah, funny, when my friends mentioned Portland marathon I actually thought it had been canceled.  Then I looked it up and it was canceled for a bit but then, like you said, came under new management and they managed to put it on last year.  And again this.  Course looks cool.  IDK what I will do, yet, though.

Cathy – humidity has been in the air here, too, and it’s been lovely!  Glad you had a quiet on-call.  Great running over the weekend!  Excited to follow your marathon training.  Oh man, why do people need to cheat on the step challenge??  I don’t get it.

Carol – hope you are out killing your 20 miles as I type!!  Fun you get to see Laura on Saturday.  Good luck at the race!  My very favorite RB (that is not running now boo hoo) I met doing the marathon training class a couple years ago.  Hoping I find some more good peeps like that.

Margaret – 100K?!  Oooh boy.  I forget – have you gone this distance before?  I rarely try to post from my phone so sorry, no help from me.

Lisa – a place with nice running routes sounds lovely.  Personally, I’m not sure I could drive 40 min to work but, if you are cool with it, go for it!  So is your current condo rent to own?  Does the kitty kat come with you or stay with the place?  Hooray for summer Friday!

Is it time to go home, yet?  Not good when the coworkers are whining and it’s not even 8:30.  Sigh.  For being a short week it is kinda feeling long.  But, we are almost there!!

RTurtles

Running with the Turtles

6 miles this morning, mid 50's and rainy.  Still pleasant running here!  I guess that makes up (kind of) for our brutal winters...  Working from home today and taking older DD to the orthodontist this morning.  So it's pretty leisurely.    Planning to do my lower body strength today too!

Lisa, being able to run in a nice area without a lot of driving is a huge plus.  Yes, the work challenge is motivating people to actually move more.  We are also in teams and our team is in first.  Though I haven't heard about any team prize!  We should at least get a free lunch out of it.  

Liz, sounds like a good class this morning!  Enjoy the rest.  No big deal if you don't get in your run?  What?  Did you just say that?    Happy proposalversary!    Well, the plan officially starts on Sunday with the 10 mile long run.  Which is actually shorter than what I had originally planned, which was 12.    I was looking at the plan this morning.  It's really scary!  I've never done my speedwork on Wednesday before, that will be interesting also!    Speedy co-worker was doing at least 10 mile runs, then supplementing with what he calls "trotting" on the TM, since he found that he wasn't getting as many steps during runs because his legs are long and he has a big stride.    He had to actually slow down to get higher steps.

Sue, wish I could send some rain your way, we've had a ton of it!

Sandy, nice 7!  Hope the hamstring behaves.  I have a couple grad parties coming up, as well as a baby shower.  And DD's end of the school year party.    Older DD is doing teen book club at the library and wants me to read her book with her.  They gave her a couple books, one of which was on my list of books to read, "The Astonishing Color of After".    I also had a book checked out, "The Sun is also a Star" and younger DD saw it and grabbed it so she could read it first.    I guess people are cheating on the step challenge because they want the prizes.  A lot of them are the overseas staff in India.  Which makes it even harder to believe their ultra high step counts, since it's in the 90's there now!

Damaris, congrats on the 2nd interview!  And awesome job with your hill workout.  

Margaret, it's really easy to cheat on this step challenge.  They are using an app where you can just manually enter steps if you don't have a tracker.  And it allows you to enter steps for the previous 7 days!  About 5 days in, someone suddenly popped up to the top with an average of 31 miles a day.  When questioned, there was some excuse about step counts being doubled.  Which didn't make sense mathematically... They should at least require that people sync or have steps entered daily.

Carol, hope the 20 went well!  Good luck on the 10K.  You are funny, I bet even though you are not racing it, you will be great!  Good luck to Laura!

Cathy

judyruns

Mighty Mouse

I did 45 minutes faster on the TM with a 5 minute fast walk. After that I did 25 minutes spinning. My knee has calmed down nicely.

Today I used an ice kerchief and it helped a lot. Eventually I might go outside more than just Sundays, but it has been really stormy and windy lately. Weird weather here. I worry about getting beaned by a falling branch.

Best wishes to you all, and happy runs ! 

Where is the "any" key?   

judyruns

Anonymous Guest

8 miles for me this morning. It rained, so it wasn't that horribly hot and miserable out! I almost kept going for a few more. Going to run a bunch of errands this afternoon and work on some stuff for my running group. I finally have all my coaches set and we're having a meeting in a couple weeks, so I want to get all my new ideas ready for that. And I set a meeting this morning for Monday with the spin place in the shopping center where we meet for our long runs to talk about sponsorship and/or how we can help each other out. They mentioned giving us a free private class just for our group, will have to see what else they can do. That would be fun, but that's really more a promo for them than anything. I think I need more than that if they want to be a sponsor. If they don't want to be a sponsor, I guess I'd still take the class for the group.

The CT scan was fine. Got the results this morning and they found nothing. So yay. But still a mystery as to why my one lymph node is swollen whenever I go to my primary care doc.

Carol, hope the 20 is going well. Or went well. I laughed so hard at your autocorrect mishap to Judy yesterday. Lies!!

Cathy, yes, I remember that book. I thought I wouldn't like it when I started reading it, but ended up liking it a lot. Um yeah, those step totals (and they way they are entered) is a little ridiculous. Exciting on starting the new plan!!

Damaris, yay on the second interview!!!!

Gatsby, no help on posting from the phone. I am home so much I never need to try posting from the phone since my laptop is right here. 100k this weekend - wow. I might do 10 miles. Maybe.

Lisa, the tradeoff of living near work versus near fun is a tough one. Is the condo you're in now going on the market so you have to either buy or move?

Liz, awwww, happy proposal-versary! Have a great time at the beach, glad you could squeeze in a quick trip, especially since you had to miss the week with the family at the beach.

Sandy, I forgot what I was going to comment on to you the other day. I think it was the marathon training group and I was going to tell you you should do it. It sounds similar to my little group (only bigger). Same price, same idea, same Saturday long run and Tuesday hills/speed. Ours lasts six months though, since the training plan is really kind of geared towards beginners (half plan starts at 2 miles, full at 3).

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

kats

WINE o'clock somewhere!

Poooo, it is 11:25 and I offered to go to work today, at noon.  And I need to shower and get food/coffee.

Blisters  - most blisters are tolerable now, but the one HUGE one looks a bit red. Nervous about it. Walking is still uncomfortable to say the least.  BUT, I had minimal muscle soreness which I found strange - nice, but strange.

Happy Thursday everyone.

K

Kettle Moraine - June 2024

Beast of Burden - August 2024

Hennepin Hundred - Oct 2024

Javelina Jundred - Oct 2024

Seloc

Karen – nice shweaty miles this morning!  That’s cool about the SPIN place.  Hope they can offer you a bit more for sponsorship.  But, still fun to try out a free class.  Oh good, glad the scan was fine.  Weird, though.  Hey, thanks for the input on the marathon training class.  I did sign up.  I've actually done it a few times before.  Already got an email offering a discount on TCM saving at minimum $54 and more when the price goes up as entries are sold.  This group suggests 25-30 miles a week to start.  They run a class geared for TCM and also one for Grandma’s.  Which is why the fall class is only 15 weeks – it starts the week after Grandma’s.  I think the first long run is 12 miles.

Judy – spinning sounds good for the knee.  Stay safe with all the weather coming through!

Cathy – nice miles this morning!  I saw the radar and thought of you wondering if there were storms.  Glad you were able to get outside!  Thanks for some more book recs!  Not sure about “The Astonishing Color of After” because of the fantasy stuff but I did put it on a list to consider (didn’t want to download today) and I put “The Sun is also a Star” on request.  21 day hold so I should be ready for it by then.  YA books are faster reads anyway haha.  Ummmm yah, I do NOT believe your off-shore folk and their step counts LOL.  Not only is it hot, the cities I have been to over there are NOT conducive to running.

So, I pulled an “Elina” (hee hee - I guess only kinda) today, and put my three marathon options in a spreadsheet.  Feel free to vote/weigh in.

Cathy--the step tracker: when we were at the quilting retreat, one of the ladies rode with me and was waving her arms in the car bc it would register as steps. Seriously??

Lizziebeerunning

Cupcake Connoisseur

Susan – Nice run/walk this morning!

Sandy – Oh man, sorry about the hamstring. Are you going to go see the chiro? Omgosh, I feel like you are at a wedding every other week 😉 Do you have anymore graduates in the family? Your marathon training class sounds sweet. So, I take it they provide a training plan? A great way to meet fellow runners! This week really has felt long!! Do you have a lowkey weekend this weekend? Hanging out with your sister? Okay. Dying at your SPREADSHEET! LOL. Hmm..so tough decision. Based on cost, of course TCM would win. Another plus for TCM is that if you do the training team and meet some realllllyyy cool people that you would like to see throughout/at the finish line. You forgot a con on there though, SOUP. Soup at the finish is a HUGE CON Wink. Lakefront is a bit more pricey, but HELLO, you get to see Cathy! 😉 Portland seems fun too but could be expensive. Tough call. I would maybe lean towards TCM since you'll be training with others who will be running it.

Cathy – Nice run this morning! Good luck to DD at the dentist! Hopefully she isn’t tortured anymore 😉 LOL, yes, me, miss a run? Say what! I keep telling myself that its ok to miss one right now since I am not training 😊 I figure if I say it outloud it will calm my anxiety! Hehe. You are going to do great this training cycle with that plan. I can’t wait to see how it goes for you. You can manually enter steps? Oh geez. That is not even fair. I don’t think I would participate because I would get frustrated at everyone CHEATING!

Judy – Beaned by a falling branch?! I hope not! 😊

Karen – Nice rainy miles this morning! Hope the spin place works out. GREAT NEWS on the CT scan. I think you answered my question to Sandy about the training plan with the marathon training team.

Kathryn – Take care of that blister. Hope work isn’t too awful.

October 4 - Milwaukee, WI - 26.2

November 14 - Richmond, VA - 26.2

March 21 - Virginia Beach, VA - 26.2

Bikerchick1

Lisa - Sounds like a good trade off to be closer to trails for running, but maybe a longer drive to work.  Hope it works out!

Lizzie - Enjoy your running rest day!

Crazysue - You could totally do a marathon again!  But, recently your life has been pretty busy to try to focus on that kind of training!  Nice run/walk today!

Sandy - I’m so impressed with your marathon spread sheet..!!!  When do you have to decide?

Cathy - What training plan are you using for your marathon?

Judy - Glad your knee has calmed down!  You have had some crazy weather down there....definitely don’t want to be beaned by any branches!

Karen - Glad the CT was clear, and that they were so prompt getting the results to you!  You are doing a great job with your runnjng group and sponsors, how fun!

Kat - Ewww, on the blisters, sounds horrible!  You are right, watch that red one Sad

i “threw down” my 20 miles today...ugh, wish I could say it was amazing....it went ok, but I’m not sad it is done!  I started with 4 alone, RB, ran 6, another came for 5, finished up 5 alone...for me the recovery is worse then the run.

Half Crazy K 2.0

More storms tonight. We did not get a tornado last night, but not sure it makes much difference, still lots of damage nearby. Did strength training.

I skipped the step/movement challenge this year. My company changed it a few years ago to make it points based. I can't remember the exact point system, but you get like 5 points for 10k steps or 1 hour of exercise, 3 points for 45 minutes or 7500 steps, and 1 point for 30 minutes or 6000 steps. There were close to 20 people last year with the max points at the end (me included). They did a drawing so only 1 or 2 actaully got something. I skipped this year.

AnonymousGuest, glad everything was ok on the CT scan.

Seloc, the running club here has a similar set up, speed work Thursday & long runs Saturday. The long runs are way to early for my taste.

Arimathea

Tessa

Sandy, when is Portland? I do not have Oregon. I am signed up for Spokane on October 13 (or whatever the second Sunday in October is).

I have been absent for nearly a week, sorry. June 1 horrible renewal.

Kit kats are still doing well. They have an appointment with destiny AKA neutering on Saturday. Namine is comfortably over 910g, Nunchuck just barely skating the weight cutoff but his surgery is less invasive than his sister's.

Running, but I do need a plan for October.