Womens Running

Soccer Saturday/Sunday (Over40) (Read 22 times)

runlikeagirl18

Post.

Cindy

2017 Races: Turkey Strut 5K 11/23, Mistletoe Half Marathon 12/2

runlikeagirl18

Up and getting ready for soccer games. We're lucky that DS1 and DS2 play at the same time. It means that we have to split up to watch them, but at least we're not out at the field all day. Meeting friends for a run afterward, then a wedding this afternoon.

Tessa - I'm so sorry for your difficulties. I would be pissed about the social worker too.

Cindy

2017 Races: Turkey Strut 5K 11/23, Mistletoe Half Marathon 12/2

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  10 miles done this morning.

Thanks for the birthday wishes!  Sorry I was MIA yesterday but I took the day off and ended up running and doing errands without doing nothing worthwhile.  Coworker's husband died on Thursday night from Stage 4 cancer on Thursday night and the funeral is today, so we'll be there.

Cindy, enjoy the soccer games.

From yesterday:

judyruns, hope you are sleeping in right now!

Karen, congrats on the new job.  Very happy for you!

Marjorie, nice 12.  How are things going with dad?

camille, enjoy the visit to GA and I hope your mom is OK.

Laura, congrats on the job too!

Sue, good luck with all that stuff.  Hope it's nothing major.

Tessa, sorry you're going through all of that.  Glad your DS said something to make him realize he needed to calm down.  Men are such babies when ill.  Sorry that the social worker did not show.  Hope your 20 is going well.

Lisa, hope PT continues to help.  Have fun at DWD.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

10.1  This am. We are at the pool. Then lots of yard work.

Dad was supposed to go home yesterday and they are supposed to come here in 2 weeks.

Have a great time at soccer Cindy.

D it is still hard with dad but he is a different person on the meds. Now if he just keeps taking them.

Tessa I'd be unhappy too

lisa I'm already the go to for the wife.

Marjorie

Anonymous Guest

7 easy miles around the neighborhood tomorrow. Last 20 miler tomorrow. Just cleaning since then - about to make key lime pie squares to take to a dinner party tomorrow. Rain is headed our way but should be out of here by tomorrow.

Tessa, you have the patience of a saint. I seem to have inherited a bit of low tolerance and/or lack of compassion from my stoic German mother, because I don't think I could handle your situation. I hope things get better.

Hi to all,

karen

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

Howdy!  Glad I got up to run the Ocean Springs 8k.  It is over the Biloxi Bay Bridge and back.  Rainy and strong headwind.  45:16, which is 12 seconds slower than last year, but I will hang that on the head wind.  Got the Grandmaster's Trophy Smile.   Hit the commissary, garden center, gas station and then as I was turning into my driveway the car odometer went 200000!  I have been watching for a couple of weeks.  Obviously I am easily entertained.  2003 Honda CRV.  I will buy another one when this one is done.

Tessa-- ugh.  So sorry you "patient" is being such a child.  Since you are the one who gets to clean him up, I would restrict his diet.  If he doesn't like it, he can get up and go fix something.  I would be ticked the social worker stood you up.  Call and complain.

Lisa--hope DWD was a fun day.  Sorry you still are not running.  I know they appreciate you volunteering.

HI Damaris!  Cindy!  Laura!  Marjorie!  Have a great weekend.

Happy weekend everyone.  A rainy day here but precipitation is welcome since we haven't had much rain since the spring.  It made for a wet 15 mile run today but fortunately it wasn't very cold.  And a hot shower and nice cuppa coffee afterwards made everything okay.  I just realized that both pairs of running shoes are closing in on 500 miles, which is when I usually retire them, so time to put a new pair into the rotation.  Relaxing on the couch now watching football on TV.

Cindy, hope a good time was had by all at soccer today.

Damaris, a day off is a fine way to celebrate a birthday.  Belated greetings!  Sorry to hear about about your co-worker's loss.

Marjorie, I saw you had more dad drama.  Things settled down yet?  Hope the pups had a nice time at the pool

Karen, belated contrats on the new job!  When do you start?

CrazySue, nice award at your 8k today!  My 1997 Honda Accord has 217,000 miles and is showing no signs of slowing down.  Poor car is mostly used for back-up and chores now, like hauling gardening supplies.

LC, belated congrats on your new job, too!  Sounds like high time for a change.

Lisa, sorry to hear your knee is still not cooperating.  How incredibly frustrating.  Very nice of you to volunteer at DWD... probably bittersweet to be there but not be able to run.

Tessa, patience of a saint does not begin to describe you.  Your DH seems to be willfully blind about the severity of his circumstances.  I agree with Sue -- if you have to deal with the diapers, you get to call the shots on what he's eating.  That's BS that the social worker didn't show up.

Be back later.  Enjoy the weekend!

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

I do have a special place in Hell and did find it today. Arrived at 4am for parking duty. During the night vandals had tipped over all 30 port a potties. earlier volunteers had righted them but they were a mess inside even tho unused. THEY have a special place in Hell but of the opposite kind. May have been the same vandals that removed ribbons along one stretch of road.

directed ultras (about 200) to parking lot until about 6 then helped with registration of relay teams (364 5-person teams this year) until about 7:30 then off to help with ultra aid station at the Hell store. this was the area where runners go through the river then run up the steep hill. This year they eliminated the relay exchange at that spot. Found out why as the Hell-fest started to swing into action at the same spot. Heavily a biker (motorized) event involving hearses, coffins and much black. Very interesting to see expressions as they found out that the sweaty and sometimes costumed people comin out of the river were running 50k, 50mile or 100k.  Likewise the runners looks when they saw the hearses.

Alwaya neat to hear the stories as refilling handhelds and finding drop bags. This was mile 22.4 for them. One older man commented on how nice the cool weather was. Had run Mexicali (?) 2 weeks before in 104 then said his wife had died right after that. That doing this race was helping him forget for a little. I noticed the demons watch on his wrist. It was his wife's and this way he knew she was with him. telling him he was crazy. So sweet. There was the sandal wearing ultra runner. And the guy who changed into white cotton tube socks and what can only be described as gym shoes. He said he wasn really a runner. At mile 22,4 of DWD in Hell... You are a runner I told him.   Funny was the young guy with the Mohawk and flannel shirt (running 50k) who almost ate an entire Nuun tablet thinking it was a Tums.

Filled many a handheld and bladder. shuffled drop bags when we had to completely move aid station for hearse parking. Good day. Would have liked to have run but this way I left in time to get Kaite ready for homecoming.

Where she she is now. One Hell replaced by another. LOL

Lisa

Bikerchick1

Cindy - Sounds like you had a very busy Saturday!

Damarias - Belated Happy Birthday!  How sad on your co-workers husband.

Marjorie - Sounds like a very busy Saturday for you as well!  Your Dad/wife are coming to visit you?  Yikes.

Karen - "Enjoy" your 20 today!

Crazysue - Nice job on the 8k!!!

Gatsbybird - What kind of shoes do you wear?  I'm always interested in what people find comfy...realizing we all have different needs, but still it is interested.

Lisa - That is horrible about the port-a-pottie tipping....seriously who would even think that is funny....Kaite looked adorable and so grown up in her Homecoming pics on FB!

Tessa - Hope things are settling down at home for you!

LCruns - Was up in your "neck of the woods" yesterday.....we're using a florist and bakery in WB, closer to LA.  Anyhow, the bakery next to the florist right in town, is awesome....yummy!  Everything looked wonderful....we got some cupcakes for taste-testing!

Ended up doing 17 yesterday.  I went out and did 4 in the am, then did wedding things for several hours with DD's.  Finally about 5 oclock, decided I just needed to get this "monkey off my back", and headed back out for 13.  It actually went really well, the weather was beautiful, and I really enjoyed it!

Carol

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

21.2 miles. Not sure what else I will do today. I actually got out early enough. Light rain to start but then overcast. Still hot but not having the sun beating on me was a nice change.

Carol, yep they are coming to visit. It will be, um,interesting

Lisa tipped over porta potties equals gross. Nice story for the guy.

Karen yummy on the key lime squares.

Gatsby yes things are settling down, for the most part. If he stays on his meds things should go well.

Sue that is a great time!

Marjorie

Hi!  Early 8 miles this morning with the group.  Supposed to do a wetsuit swim in the bayou this afternoon.  See if that happens...DS2 may need my car this afternoon.  Not sure yet.  His truck is in the shop waiting on a part.

Great runs Carol and Marjorie!!

Yard work now.  Dogs want me to play with them, so I can kill two birds with one stone!

Have a great day!

LC Runs

Hi Ladies!

Forgot to post yesterday, whoops!  5.7 miles on Saturday, then 2 soccer games with DS #1.   One of the Fusion instructors texted last night that she was going to have an impromtu class this morning, so I drove my car into town, ran for an hour (6.25 miles), then took the class.  I actually felt pretty good during it.  I tried one time to run after class, didn't even make it 2 miles my legs were jello, so this worked much better.  Colored my hair and cleaned the upstairs.  I'm taking a break before tackling the rest of the house lol

Cindy - Since my older son broke his wrist, I thought my soccer days would be easier with just the younger kid.  Of course, yesterday they decide to have a make up game, so we were still there for 4 hours lol

Damaris - Happy Belated Birthday.  Sorry to hear of your friend's DH, so sad.

Marjorie - nice run yesterday!

Karen - yum, those squares sound delish.

Sue - GREAT job yesterday!!  The wind makes it so challenging.

Sue/Gatsby - DBF  is a Honda technician, he likes to flip cars that come into the dealership.  An Element was just turned in with $282,000 miles on it.  It does need a new engine but he's thinking of buying it, fixing it and selling it.  I'm contemplating it for myself Wink  My Mom's a huge Honda fan, driving a CRV right now.

Lisa - how terrible that people do such things, geez Louise.  Sounds like a fun time, race wise.

Carol - awesome!  Were you at Edith M's and Colonial Village?  There's also a newer bakery, Artisian, though I'm thinking that's more bread than sweets.  Let me know if you need help with anything local Smile

We had a local tragedy yesterday morning, a Dad and his two sons were out in the early am (6:30 ish) and their car was broadsided by someone who ran a stop sign (at least that's what appears to have happened).  The 13 year old son was killed, he's in my DS #1 class.  The other boy (who I think is in my DD's grade) was seriously hurt and the Dad is critical.  I don't really know them, though I know I've seen the dad before.  I told my son late yesterday, he took it okay but started to cry a little bit, they weren't close friends but hung out at school somewhat.  So very sad...I think they were heading out for youth hunt.  There's also a wife and 2 younger daughters.  Please send a prayer out for this family.

LC Runs

Tessa - just went back and read about DH.  Oh man, you poor thing - wine sounds like a good plan.  And, as a social worker, that is very rude of her not to call to cancel or reschedule the appointment.  I have missed a lot of the story, they are setting you guys up with home health, right?  It doesn't sound like a situation you could handle on your own.  Did he run out of Medicare days for SNF?

DH and I did a lovely, easy 4.6 mile trail run this morning on bluffs overlooking the ocean.   That was followed by breakfast in a nearby greasy spoon and then a visit to the grocery store.   Hearing about your successes in finding new jobs has made me determined to do something about mine, so today I'm going to work on that.

Lisa, someone tipped over the porta-potties?  What sort of loser gets his jollies by doing that?!  Hope your daughter had a wonderful time at the dance.

Carol, nice 17 miles yesterday.  I'm a fan of Asics, particularly the GT-21xx series.   I've been wearing them since I started running so can't compare them to anything else, but I've never had any foot or shoe problems with them (knock on wood!).  DH has a friend who works for Asics who gets us shoes for a bit of a discount.  Today I ran in a new pair of GT-2160 trail shoes -- very happy with them.

Marjorie, great miles as usual.  Glad your dad's meds are helping.  Good luck with their visit.

CrazySue, did you get out for the wetsuit swim in the bayou?  I imagine bayou to be murky and swamp-like and overgrown, probably saw that in a movie or Scooby Doo cartoon eons ago.

LC, you've had quite a productive day today.  So sad about the car accident.   A good reminder to hug our loved ones as life can be so fleeting and unpredictable.

Enjoy the rest of the day, everyone.

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

Arimathea

Tessa

Lisa, ugh on the porta-potties being tipped over. I hope someday in the near future the vandals are in desperate need and there are no facilities at all available.

Laura, not so much that DH ran out of days as that he wasn't cooperating at all -- refusing meds, refusing PT -- so he no longer qualified for rehab. So they have sent him home. For us my insurer is primary, Medicare is secondary.

Good news is that the immodium seems to have stopped the diarrhea. Not having to change diapers on an hourly basis is a plus.

Marjorie, sorry that you are already the goto person.

Karen, mmm, key lime bars.

Susan, congratulations on the trophy for the bridge race!

Waving to Damaris, GatsbyBird, Carol, Cindy, and others to follow.

20 miler fail yesterday. MM rolled her ankle on Thursday and it started hurting at about mile 6 yesterday, so we made it to mile 8 and called it quits (and called my sister to come get us). I did 4.25 this morning. I've had less than 3 hours sleep, DH was up late complaining that he wasn't comfortable and then I had to take my parents to the airport at 4 AM. Back, 4.25 mile run, DS drove us to WW and then back, then I dashed off to church.

Nice weather here, cool enough to have the windows open.