Womens Running

Well it is the Weekend (over 40) (Read 16 times)

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

I had some big cramping issues left calf yesterday towards the end of my run. The sharp ouchy, knife cutting you, type. I could feel it today when I started to run so no run, just some quality time with my foam roller. Nice trigger point in the lateral gastric head. I've worked the crap out of that poor calf stretching it the last two weeks to restore the motion in my ankle. It means the perpetual soreness that is was always there for years in my right hip is pretty much gone but now the left calf wants to rebel. I will have to tape it tomorrow. And figure out why my right knee isn't straightening all the way. It isn't the knee itself. I think it is the result of fixing the hip and change in what I've done to my calves. I've messed up my bodies imbalances so it hates me a bit.

Marjorie

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

So we fix one problem and create others. It will pass. And not a major problem. Just a muscle in a new length not too happy and I have stretched it a ton so it is allowed to rebell. Now if I can just figure out the right knee. It doesn't hurt at all. It straightens all the way if I take the hip out of it so it has to be from there.

Well I should get in the shower so we can go to puppy pool.

Marjorie

LC Runs

Good Morning!!

Marjorie - ouch!  I have never had a full out calf cramp during/after running, though it's tightened up on occasion.  Hope it isn't an ongoing issue.

Running a local 5k this morning (it's a later race 10:30), will have to rush a bit afterward since I have to drive my younger son to his out of town soccer game, but for a good cause (breast cancer research).

Hello to all, will try and check in later today!

runlikeagirl18

Hi ladies-

No run for me today; it's a rest day. I ran a very difficult and discouraging 13 miles yesterday. I was struggling by 8 miles and in real trouble by 10, including my legs really hurting. I can't figure out what's going on - 13 miles isn't that far (I can say that to you ladies without anyone rolling their eyes at me) and I'm in good enough shape that I should be able to handle the distance without falling apart. My RB and another running friend have suggested that maybe I'm not getting enough protein to fuel the miles I'm running, so I got some protein powder yesterday and fixed up a shake with milk and strawberries. We'll see if that helps. After yesterday, I'm really apprehensive about my 20 miles on Friday.

The bright spot from yesterday was that my very fast running friend (who is also SIL to my RB) has a hot tub, and we went over there and soaked for a bit. Felt wonderful.

Marjorie - I feel like that happens to me all the time - I fix one thing only to have something else start to hurt.

Laura - good luck in the 5K!

Off to start the soccer/baseball shuffle. Have a great day-

Cindy

2017 Races: Turkey Strut 5K 11/23, Mistletoe Half Marathon 12/2

ginnyb

well we did the 5k this morning.  Ended up the 9 year old GD did it with us too.  My DD;s shin splints were acting up, so we did a lot of walking, but it was so fun.  Saw quite a few people that I know.  We finished in the HS football stadium and the band was playing and people cheering, it was really neat, great event, hope they make it annual, this was the first 5K for the schools.

http://ginnybess.blogspot.com/

6/8 Hatfield/McCoy Half, 8/18 lake Erie Shores and Islands Half, 9/21 Mighty Niagara Half Lewiston, NY, 10/7 Cleveland Rock & Roll Half 10/6 or Detroit Free Press 10/20, A Christmas Story 5 or 10K Cleveland 12/7, Santa Hustle Half Cedar Point 12/15

Hobby Jogger Especial!

Good morning all. Yesterday was a rest day. Volunteered at the humane society handing out shirts and registering people for "See Spot Walk". Then went to Cheesecake Factory with my daughter and granddaughter. After that a trip to REI and home. DH and DS went out last night to catch craw dads and fish. They should be back this afternoon. I'm hoping we'll have craw dads for dinner!

9 miles with my dog this morning. 40f to start and over 50 when I finished. Ran in my new Altra One2 (mens). Finally got the right size and decided these are my new shoes. Very light and cushioned. And my purple toe didn't bother me while running, although I could feel it was swollen.

Glad to hear the pets of our members are doing better.

Marjorie - sorry to hear about your calf problems.

LC - have fun at your 5k

Cindy - too bad about your run. I hope you get it figured out.

Ginny - glad you had fun at the 5k. Nice pic.

Anonymous Guest

Pilates and 4 easy miles this morning. Now I should be running errands and cleaning and stuff, but I'm sitting here stinky because Jake is following me everywhere I go and he's supposed to be resting. He's also not supposed to go up stairs so I'm trying to wait until DH gets back from his bike ride to head upstairs to take a shower. On the plus side, he seems happy to be home and his breathing is much better. On the minus side, his breathing being much better means he has more energy - and he's supposed to be resting.

Marjorie, at least you are in a great profession for your hobby! It's really cool that you can figure out what's wrong with yourself AND then know how to fix it.

Laura, hope the 5K went well.

Cindy, don't worry too much about the crappy run. We all have them in marathon training.

Ginny, great picture! (Also, look! You posted a picture!) Cool that you all ran - sounds like you had a great time.

Shadow, sounds like a good day for you. I haven't had craw dads in years - it always seems like so much work for so little meat. Now I'm thinking about the crawfish etoufee we used to get when I worked in downtown Houston...mmmmmm.

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

Carol, oh Carol??  I've seen on FB that your group completed R2R and would love to see pics and hear about it.

Karen-hope Jake rests for you.. and him.  What was with the bark?

Shadow-girls' day out at Cheesecake Factory sounds dangerous.

Ginny-nice pic!  glad you girls had a fun time!

Cindy-how fast are you going?  I'm of the mind that you can NOT increase distance AND worry about speed unless you have been blessed or are in your 20's.  Find someone way slower than you to do your 20 miles with or at least the last 5 with you.  I had Dawn (who isn't slower than me but was happy to go my pace) join me for my last 5 of the 20 last weekend and that was great.  Helped me through 10-15 because I knew she would be there at 15.

Laura-hope the 5k went well.

Marjorie-bummer on the cramping.  you're amazing with knowing how it all fits together.

13.6 miles with run buddy starting out at 6:30am in the pouring rain with headlamps and flashlights on the twisty-ist trail around. It's a fun trail with all the curves and up/downs but is one that really works us.  Rained whole time, crunching on acorns made me comment that it sounded like we were running on bubble wrap at times.  and the multicolored leaves covering the trail looked like we were running on a rag rug.  One time I told her that I kept thinking she had post-it notes stuck on bottom of shoe since the bright yellow leaves reminded me of that.  These are my favorite kinds of trails!

Lisa

Happy weekend to all.  Did 20.3 miles this morning, some with my RC.  We're having a heatwave with temps in the 80s here in Half Moon Bay, which is too hot for me.  Anyone want to trade some heat for some rain?  I'm staying off the roads today, which will be jammed up with people visiting the beaches.  On tap for the rest of the day is watching football and baseball today, and going to a friend's birthday party later.  Saving chores like grocery shopping until tomorrow when I can get out earlier.

Marjorie, cramping isn't great but at least you know what's going on.

L:C, hope you had fun at your 5K.

Cindy, I agree with Lisa, maybe try slowing down on your long runs.   Even if you think you're going very slowly already, slow down even more and don't worry about time.

GinnyB, great photo!  Sounds like a fun 5K for you.

Shadow, glad you found some shoes that are working well.

Lisa, love the map of your run.  Sounds like a great workout.   I remember running in the rain, back when we used to get rain in California.  Sigh.

Karen, how's Jake doing today?

Tessa, bet it's even hotter down where you are!

Damaris, ready for Chicago?  Hope you and your DH had a fun 10 miler today.

Hi to everyone else!

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

camille2

Happy weekend, runners.  I'm at Ga cabin with no wi-fi until Wed. I'd forgotten that I was sick before I left and didn't clean it.  Unfortunately, no genie came by while I was gone.

Ginny, that's a great pic of you family!  Youust be so proud! Congrats.

karen, I'm glad things went ok for Jake.

Good luck on foot.

Cindy, just remember that running does this to us sometimes to keep us humble.  I've usually found that a week or 2 later, things aremuch easier, like a breakthrough. I know how demoralizing it is though...like my horrid 5k in July.

lisa, love the map!

book recommendation:  Brain on Fire.  TrueStory of a 24 yr old journalist who developed seizures, paranoia, catalonia, etc and had a few psychiatric diagnoses before a real Dr house figured it out.

Hi to everyone elsy!  I've used up my patience for writing on phone.

plaaning 8 later. Did easy short ones last 2 days

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

Ginny I like the 5k the schools seem to be doing. Many around here did it as fund raisers for the students. Better than selling crap. I'd rather pledge miles instead!

Cindy I doubt it is protein. Probably just a crappy run. Like Karen said, we all have them. If it is protein cliff bars makes a new protein bar. I like the mint one. 20 grams of protein and it tastes good. I don't get a lot of protein because of my stomach. I was getting super tired not from running but in general so added one of those a day and it helped. Plus it didn't set off my stomach the next day.

Need need to go test out the calf. I taped it. We shall see. It is totally fine unless I get about a tenth in so I won't know unless I try. One of my friends texted me yesterday she was in Charleston. We couldn't meet up with her.  I wish I'd known she was coming. She is a PT and is trained in dry needling. I'd have had her treat it and it would be all better. Alas, I didn't know she'd be here. None of my local therapists are trained to do it. I can get the calf better other ways but that sure would have helped. It is not accupuncture. Different thing. Just as well she was here for her new business. I didn't want to have to listen to it as it is some travel thing. Looks to be a "legal" pyramid scheme to me. But, she thinks it is great and will let her retire soon and just travel. I just smile and try to be supportive. She is a little vulnerable sometimes. Such an amazing therapist but not always smart outside of work.

Marjorie

Anonymous Guest

Karen-hope Jake rests for you.. and him.  What was with the bark? 

I think it was more of a comment than a concern - he did just have surgery on his throat. I just heard him try to bark for the first time this morning and it is a funny bark - more air and less bark.

So the alarm went off at 6, I was cozy under a blanket with a dog on my feet (dog has started ignoring no stairs and no getting on furniture instructions from the vet, but when we're sleeping, it's kinda hard to stop him), and the thought of waiting for a race to start in 40 degree weather was not very tempting. Especially when I was just running it at an easy pace, so it would most likely end up being my throw out in the series. So I went back to sleep and will go out for a longish run in a bit.

Lisa, looks like a heck of a run. I'm guessing the trees helped some with the pouring rain?

Gatsby, yikes, that is hot for you guys. Good you got the long run in.

camille, welcome back to the lower 48! I'm going to see if that book is available from the library for download. Sounds interesting.

Marjorie, sounds like it was probably for the best that you weren't able to see your friend if it meant listening about the new "business venture". I like the Clif protein bars - the chocolate mint and chocolate peanut butter are my favorites. I can't really eat them right now with my lower mileage though - one of those is 270 calories and I don't have that many to spare if I'm only running 3-4 miles!

Okay, I'm going to eat some cereal and then go run. Fall lets me be lazy on the weekends because I don't have to get these long runs in super early.

karen

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

camille2

Marjorie, I had dry needling for hip.  I think it helped, but it is sometimes hard to tell what makes it better or worse.  If your travels take you to Alpharetta (and I think they do), I'll give you his name if you haven't found someone.

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

Got 3.1 miles. It was achy at 2.7 so I didn't push. It will be fine. Just needs to adjust to all the stretching I've done to that leg. 3.1 better than 0.

Gatsby it sucks you all don't get rain!  I know you need it

Camilke oh I have 4 therapists that work for us in GA that do dry needling. Just none of my centers here is Charkeston Di right now. I won't need it by the time I'm there in a few week. It would have just sped this along and I'd have run today without it aching. Thanks, though. Sorry the cleaning fairies didn't clean

Karen. They are a lot of calories but I have plenty of room for 270 calories. And with my normal miles I really have room!  Hope Jake continues to improve.

Marjorie

runlikeagirl18

Hi ladies-

I got out for 5.4 miles this morning and felt MUCH better. It was chilly - 40 degrees - and I think that helped. I run so much better when it's cool. Thanks for all the words of advice/encouragement. I'm trying the protein shake for my snack, and I'm going to really focus on getting enough sleep this week.

Lisa - love the map of the run! Not the pouring rain part, though. Thanks for the advice on pace; I'm going to make sure we start out super-slow on Friday.

Karen - sounds like the right choice to skip the race. You would have most likely been inclined to try to race it.

Marjorie - thanks for the tip about the Clif bars. For right now, I like the protein shake because I can make it with fruit. And it's about the same number of calories.

Ginny - I love the pic from the race! Sounds like it was fun.

Shadow - Cheesecake Factory, yum!

Gatsby - that's hot for running. I don't do well at all in the heat.

Camille - welcome back! If you discover the cleaning fairies, will you send them my way?

Off to be productive. Have a great day-

Cindy

2017 Races: Turkey Strut 5K 11/23, Mistletoe Half Marathon 12/2