Womens Running

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner Weekendailies (Read 22 times)

Arimathea

Tessa

Well phuque. Had a post typed out and lost it when I tried to paste a link in.

Congratulations runners! A finish is a finish no matter what the time is. And a DNF is usually better than a DNS, unless there's a good reason for DNS such as injury.

Exhausted. I spent yesterday at Born to Run with RN and the rest of her crew. She has been training hard and smart for the 100 miler.

Born to Run is in rural Santa Barbara County, it's held on a cattle ranch that's mostly oak savanna and chaparral, rolling hills. The course is basically a figure 8, the Pink Loop and the Yellow Loop. Yellow is a bit longer and a bit harder than Pink, though the race says the loops are both 10 miles we're of the opinion that it's more like 9 for Pink and 11 for Yellow. You can figure out the ribbon colours.

So the 4 day event starts on Wednesday, 200 mile starts on Thursday, the 100 mile starts Friday at 6 PM, and the shorter races (60, 30,10) all start at 6 AM on Saturday. End time for all events is noon on Sunday. 4 day and 200 entrants are allowed pacers at any time, 100 mile entrants can have pacers after 60 miles or when it gets dark, shorter races don't get pacers. RN and her DH went up there Friday morning and set up camp. She started running. She was allowed pacers almost immediately because 6 PM start means the first loop may be in daylight but the second 10 mile loop will not be. Starts with pink so finishes with yellow. Two other friends, M and A, came up Friday night to run with her. A took two yellow loops, M took the pink in between.

I arrived Saturday at 10 AM and RN was out doing her 6th lap. She came in at 11:15, having done 60 miles, and took a 15 minute nap while her crew restocked her hydration pack. Change of clothes and socks and she and I headed out for her fourth pink loop. That took us 2 1/2 hours. We were not going very fast, it was a run-hike-run pace. I handed her over to M who was going with her on the next yellow loop, then A was doing the pink loop, and the last loop would be either me or RNDH. Hung around -- crewing an ultra runner involves a lot of hurry up and wait -- saw the afternoon festivities and a wedding involving at least one runner (I think both bride and groom were running but I never did get their names), and RN and A came in after 9 PM, well after dark, and RNDH allowed me the honours of the last loop. He's had some injuries. We got her dressed for the cold (40s, foggy, and a brisk wind) and she and I took off at 9:20 or so. That was the yellow loop, almost all walking. Pitch dark except for our flashlight and headlamps, no moon, no stars due to cloud cover. Trees, dirt, rocks, brush, up, down, up, down. I imagine it might have some nice scenery if one could see one's surroundings. Two aid stations, one near the beginning which had grilled cheese and avocado sandwiches, one near the end which had chicken soup -- RN had two cups and that helped her a lot, both the hot food and the salty fluid, I think. I ran out of bad jokes partway through that loop. We slogged on, RNDH came out about a mile to meet us, and we finally saw the campsites that indicated we were getting close. RN crossed the finish line in 32 hours and a few seconds. 4th female overall, 1st in her AG.Very proud of herself and rightfully so -- this is her second 100 miler.

It's a 2.5 hour drive from the ranch back home, and I had to be at church at 7 AM to open up for the early service. RN crawled straight into the tent, I headed home. Made it about 1.5 hours and knew I wasn't going to be able to go the rest of the way without a nap. Got off the freeway, found a place to park in an industrial area (nothing stirring on Sunday morning), set my phone for an hour and went to sleep. Back on the road and got home with enough time to shower, do kitten care, and eat breakfast (hadn't had much on Saturday) before church. Now considering a nap before dinner.

Docket_Rocket

Liz, congrats!  Tough race, sounds like.  I wonder if your pacer was going faster than 4 hours (the 4:40 pacer passed me at Mile 3 and kept with me for 6 miles when I was doing 10mm.  THAT IS TOO FAST).  I find most pacers do start out too fast.  Glad you were good and noticed and stayed back when it wasn't your day.  Yeah, those pics were hubby's.  I love this one the most:

I could do without 15lbs but those legs... On the phone, you can see the muscles bursting out.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

Well phuque. Had a post typed out and lost it when I tried to paste a link in.

Congratulations runners! A finish is a finish no matter what the time is. And a DNF is usually better than a DNS, unless there's a good reason for DNS such as injury.

Exhausted. I spent yesterday at Born to Run with RN and the rest of her crew. She has been training hard and smart for the 100 miler.

Born to Run is in rural Santa Barbara County, it's held on a cattle ranch that's mostly oak savanna and chaparral, rolling hills. The course is basically a figure 8, the Pink Loop and the Yellow Loop. Yellow is a bit longer and a bit harder than Pink, though the race says the loops are both 10 miles we're of the opinion that it's more like 9 for Pink and 11 for Yellow. You can figure out the ribbon colours.

So the 4 day event starts on Wednesday, 200 mile starts on Thursday, the 100 mile starts Friday at 6 PM, and the shorter races (60, 30,10) all start at 6 AM on Saturday. End time for all events is noon on Sunday. 4 day and 200 entrants are allowed pacers at any time, 100 mile entrants can have pacers after 60 miles or when it gets dark, shorter races don't get pacers. RN and her DH went up there Friday morning and set up camp. She started running. She was allowed pacers almost immediately because 6 PM start means the first loop may be in daylight but the second 10 mile loop will not be. Starts with pink so finishes with yellow. Two other friends, M and A, came up Friday night to run with her. A took two yellow loops, M took the pink in between.

I arrived Saturday at 10 AM and RN was out doing her 6th lap. She came in at 11:15, having done 60 miles, and took a 15 minute nap while her crew restocked her hydration pack. Change of clothes and socks and she and I headed out for her fourth pink loop. That took us 2 1/2 hours. We were not going very fast, it was a run-hike-run pace. I handed her over to M who was going with her on the next yellow loop, then A was doing the pink loop, and the last loop would be either me or RNDH. Hung around -- crewing an ultra runner involves a lot of hurry up and wait -- saw the afternoon festivities and a wedding involving at least one runner (I think both bride and groom were running but I never did get their names), and RN and A came in after 9 PM, well after dark, and RNDH allowed me the honours of the last loop. He's had some injuries. We got her dressed for the cold (40s, foggy, and a brisk wind) and she and I took off at 9:20 or so. That was the yellow loop, almost all walking. Pitch dark except for our flashlight and headlamps, no moon, no stars due to cloud cover. Trees, dirt, rocks, brush, up, down, up, down. I imagine it might have some nice scenery if one could see one's surroundings. Two aid stations, one near the beginning which had grilled cheese and avocado sandwiches, one near the end which had chicken soup -- RN had two cups and that helped her a lot, both the hot food and the salty fluid, I think. I ran out of bad jokes partway through that loop. We slogged on, RNDH came out about a mile to meet us, and we finally saw the campsites that indicated we were getting close. RN crossed the finish line in 32 hours and a few seconds. 4th female overall, 1st in her AG.Very proud of herself and rightfully so -- this is her second 100 miler.

It's a 2.5 hour drive from the ranch back home, and I had to be at church at 7 AM to open up for the early service. RN crawled straight into the tent, I headed home. Made it about 1.5 hours and knew I wasn't going to be able to go the rest of the way without a nap. Got off the freeway, found a place to park in an industrial area (nothing stirring on Sunday morning), set my phone for an hour and went to sleep. Back on the road and got home with enough time to shower, do kitten care, and eat breakfast (hadn't had much on Saturday) before church. Now considering a nap before dinner.

Woohoo!  Congrats to your RN!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Half Crazy K 2.0

5.7 with 12 x 1:30 intervals this morning. It was humid & the intervals felt way harder than they should have.

Gatsby Bird, I think I've had these shorts for about 12 years. They now have holes around the pockets. I tried getting some on-line, but I really need to try them on. Guess I'll try Kohls.

Kilmisters, nice race!

Lizzie, wind can really throw you off. You have to work a lot harder to hold your pace. And ugh to the pacer starting out ahead of pace.

Arimathea, congrats to your RN on the 100 miler and nice job pacing!

Seloc

Hello hello!  Real quick check in...  My guests are still in the air en route home and I’m already sad they are gone!  Coupla the best humans ever. So much fun. SO much laughing!  Especially in small town MN tending to some lug nuts. Will try to explain later...

Marathon was pretty fun. It’s so great starting and ending indoors. Especially since it was so bloody WINDY. Yes, some of that was a tail wind but mostly it felt like it was swirling and in your face. I thought mile 24 was the hardest - had to hang on to my hat!!

Kat - I laughed at you coming up with thread title. Haha I’ve done that and just waited for Lizzie   So super excited for you guys next weekend!

Gatsby - great miles!!  Super excited for you too!!  Were your ears ringing this weekend?  We were talking about how quietly strong and what a bad ass ultra runner you are 

Diane - great dreadmill miles!  MUCH harder for me than 26.2 outdoors.

Damaris - congrats on another marathon!  Dang you are awesome. Loved the pics, too!!

Tessa - wow congrats to RN and kudos to you for pacing. That no sleep thing is killer.

Elina - hearty congrats on negative split 10K!!  Wow!!  And after 11mi the day before??  Freakin awesome. Glad your work trip was valuable, too.

HCK - hope you can dry out soon. That’s a lot of rain!!  Ugh on the shopping fail. Been there. Hate it!!

Lizzie and Karen - thank you thank you for an amazing weekend!!  You guys are kinda the best 

Good Sunday evening to you all!

Anonymous Guest

It's 10 pm - I can't believe I'm still awake! Those two tried to convert me to gramma time, but after a stressful flight and coming home to a frightened dog (really bad thunderstorms that delayed my flight, and Riley home alone as DH flew out to Boston for work right before the storms came through). I just want to say I had the best time this weekend. Seriously awesome people and I can't remember the last time I laughed so much and so hard. Can't wait for Twin Cities in October.

A little about my race: I was feeling good so I went out a little ahead of the four hour pacer. Stopped at a port-a-potty around mile 7 (I think?) and the pace group passed me. Still a pretty big group and I didn't want to be stuck behind that when we hit the first section of bike path, so sped back up a bit. Next thing I know they are passing me again, so yes, the pacer went out too fast (he was no Pacer Tom). The group itself was much smaller at that point so he had already blown some people up. It started feeling too hard around maybe 11, but then I got into a little group of Stan, Kansas City and San Antonio, with Tampa around for a bit as well (we couldn't remember names so kept referring to each other from where we were from). I dropped back once and heard "we lost Houston" and they slowed a bit for me to catch up. Tampa and San Antonio eventually dropped off, Stan fell back a bit and it was just me and Kansas City through about 16. I finally told her I was in over my head and to go on without me.

I had just read "How Bad Do You Want It?" and so asked myself. Turns out, not that bad. I didn't want to hurt and didn't care enough about my time anymore to keep pushing. I walked for probably 1/2 mile then started running again. Ran a little slower for three miles and was surprised I was still run 9:15-9:25. Then we went upwind and it was hard. I walked more. And ran slower. A little before mile 25 I was walking and waiting for Liz to pass me, when this guy walking asked how I was doing. I told him I've been better. He said him too. We chatted a bit and I said "okay, let's run this in, we'll just go really slow" and we started running. Really nice guy from Milwaukee. With about 0.3 miles to go he noticed I kept inching ahead so he told me to leave him and run it in. So I did and finished in 4:15:00. As I was getting my medal I heard them announce someone from Richmond, VA and yes, it was Liz. She remembered passing my Milwaukee running buddy so if I hadn't sped up there at the end she would have caught me.

The funny thing is I really enjoyed the race. I should be disappointed with how I ran the race and with my finish time (looks like no Boston for me next year), but I'm not. Like the others said, good spectators, a ton of bands, good weather (except the wind), we ran through two college campuses which was fun, varied interesting course through neighborhoods, parks, downtown, start and finish inside the Fargodome, just lots and lots of positives. The wind was the only negative. And I don't know what got into me but I was extroverting all over that course.

The entire weekend was a blast. I wish those two lived closer to me (but they don't want to live in Houston humidity) because hanging out with them was so much fun. Sandy was an awesome host. I hope the Pinelands ladies have as much fun next weekend.

I think I'm too tired to do personals. Long flight, weather delay, crazy airport crowds and traffic (they shut the airport down for awhile because of weather so it was packed), and knowing my dog that doesn't like storms was home alone made for a stressful evening. Back at it tomorrow.....

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

Yay yay yay, I love happy meet-ups.  I'm so looking forward to next weekend!

Lizzie, loved your RR, sounds like such a nice weekend.  Hooray for vacation!  Where are you and HCBF going (sorry if I missed this earlier)?  Re shorts, yep, I don't buy shorts often.  I even double checked the drawer and I found two pairs, old and even older.   

HCK, when i checked my shorts supply, unfortunately I realized that I need to buy another pair because I got varnish on my "good" pair and the other ones are older, frayed, and not suitable for polite company.  Good luck at Kohls.  I might try Old Navy.

Damaris, did you enjoy visiting Martha's Vinyard?

Tessa, well done to RN on her 100!  Nice that you could be there to support her.

Seloc, awww, thank you for thinking I'm a badass.     Sounds like you had a good race, running with those fast girls paid off!

Karen, sounds like you ran with lots of nice folks at Fargo.  I don't see any reason why you should be disappointed.  In my mind, a fun time usually beats a speedy time.

Have a good week everyone.  I've got a lot to do    before taking off on Friday for Maine  ).

4/14/24 Napa Valley 50k, Calistoga, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR