Womens Running

Tackle TUESDAY (DAILIES) (Read 20 times)

dhuffman63

Trails

I'm so sorry Karen.  How annoying.

Lizziebeerunning

Cupcake Connoisseur

Susan – Walking 4 dogs at once?! Oh boy. I have enough trouble with one!

Diane – Glad the replacement is being covered!

Judy – Wow, that’s a pretty large track. At least you have that! That can get you out of some boring treadmill work. My gym has a track, but I think it was 15 laps for a mile. That got annoying.

Docket – WOOHOO for being back in Chicago Marathon! What is different about Legacy status? Do you get your own porttapoty?! I have always wanted my own before a race. LOL.

Cathy – You are so right – upper body work is boring. And it hurts. NICE job on the run this morning! Glad its starting to feel like normal again Smile Oh yes, my butt hurts from COLD sometimes after a run. Its usually nice and red when I get home. HCBF makes a comment about it when he is home. LOL. Your DH did the Polar Bear Plunge?! I don’t know why this doesn’t surprise me. LOL. He is funny! I guess the alcohol keeps you warm. Smile

Sandy – OMG that is awful timing to break an arm. Yikes. Yes, stay off the ice! I thought about wearing a scarf but I don’t know if that will really help that much. I actually had a face mask on the Christmas list this year for this very reason. Haha. Oh well. Now I am scared hahahah. I mean I will do it anyway but im still scared. Maybe I will put a handwarmer down my bra. Holy crap…-5?! I will stop complaining about my wind chill now. I am not sure I would have gone out in that either! AND I would have splurged for parking, too. Crazy how you have to pay for parking. Hoping you feel better with the glasses! 2 more days 2 more days..YOU GOT THIS!!!

Tessa – I have been in that cookie jar lately as well. Christmas goodies! Good luck with the lunch time run!

Kathryn – I am with you on the purses. I try to get all of mine on sale also. I want to see a picture of the Kate Spade one! They had a surprise 75% off sale today, did you see that? Nice job on the run, sorry about the pain Sad The pain I am getting in my hamstring is right above the knee on the backside! I am assuming tendinitis..could be yours too after all that slogging in the mud! Nice of you to drive around vaccines!

Karen – AHHH!!! What is with the short courses this year?!?! WTH!!! YOU HAVE ONE JOB!!! ONE!!!! I am so sorry!! Sad Whine away! We understand.

Boring day. Sigh.

Heading to Body Pump soon! Then to pick up my Facebook famous Ruger buddy. He is so cute. The daycare featured him on their page today Smile

October 4 - Milwaukee, WI - 26.2

November 14 - Richmond, VA - 26.2

March 21 - Virginia Beach, VA - 26.2

kats

WINE o'clock somewhere!

Karen, that SUCKS.  Why on earth isn't the course distance verified AFTER it is marked??  Seems like that should be a gimme....

Kettle Moraine - June 2024

Beast of Burden - August 2024

Hennepin Hundred - Oct 2024

Javelina Jundred - Oct 2024

Karen--OH NO!!! I hate that for you and the others who were excited over their BQ.  Sucks. I hate that the course was short. I've run Stennis several times.  I didn't do it this year bc of work travel.  If we are home you are welcome to stay again! I will probably run it if possible.

They are offering free entry for next year's race or free entry to the Louisiana Marathon in about 6 weeks...

DF and I both walked two dogs each, and I was really doing my best to hold on and not be tripped in the dark.  Almost went down once.  But they were so happy to go, and if you take some and leave the others they throw a fit.

Damaris--Chicago!!  Woohoo!

Anonymous Guest

Oddly, I'm not that upset about the short course. At least the state is driving distance, and this was a pretty inexpensive race overall (basically the entry fee and two tanks of gas, thanks to Susan!). I am glad I signed up for Boston next year. I probably won't go two years in a row, so if I don't get another BQ for 2019, no big deal. I was really running hoping to better my placement for next year's Boston, but even my short course finish wasn't better than what I qualified with last November. I was much more excited about the AG placement than the time or the BQ, and that's still valid. I feel like I should have some serious outrage, but I just don't. I was more upset about The Woodlands, and that one is local, so I don't get why I'm not, but I guess it's for the best.

So more detail - this is the second year for the race. The first 24 miles are pretty much a straight shot down Highway 90, which runs along the coast. The right lane (closest to the water) is blocked off for the runners, leaving one lane of traffic, the median, and two lanes of traffic going the other way. Last year the course had the runners crossing those three lanes of traffic once they got to downtown Biloxi, then running on some roads there and finishing at the baseball stadium. The police suggested an out and back on I-110 (which is right by the baseball stadium and ends at highway 90 that we ran on). That way runners wouldn't have to cross the traffic lanes - we went up an onramp, ran a bit, turned around and came out on the other side of the road. But, getting access to measure the course on an interstate was not easy and they only had a couple hours early on a Sunday morning, with traffic being blocked by cops, to do it. Then they had no access until they shut the road down for the race a couple hours before the race started. So when they did the initial measuring, the RD measured and marked various points along the way so when they got the official measured distance of the rest of the course, he would know exactly where to put the turnaround to make the total distance correct. When people started complaining, first he blew it off as GPS error. Except like mine, everyone's GPS was measuring right on the first 25 miles, then 26 came way too early. So he talked to the person that marked and set up the turnaround, who told him exactly what he measured, which was exactly what the RD told him. Then the RD figured since there were very few volunteers up there, people must have turned at the half marathon turnaround accidentally, and said basically your fault but we'll have it marked better and put a timing mat at the turnaround going forward. But we all ran past the first turnaround and turned at the second one, marked for the marathon. I guess today he went back and looked and he told the person marking to measure "105 feet north of the 2nd truss structure" and his calculations said "105 feet north of the 3rd truss structure." And that, my friends, is how you get a course that is 0.295 miles short.

So it is what it is. I learned that running lots of miles without real long can work. I think if I'd run a marathon in November and then just coasted through with shorter runs in December things would have gone better than running a half in November and trying to coast through to a marathon. Basically, I peaked too soon for this race and would have done better treating the half as a training run. I think I probably was in 3:45 marathon shape in November - in fact some of my shorter race results say I could have gone as fast as 3:39.

Anyway, that's what it is. I would run this one again, except it will probably be the same weekend as Brazos Bend again next year, and I want to do that. So probably Stennis.

And now I'm tired of typing, so I'm blowing off personals for now. I think maybe a nap with Riley is in order instead.

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

Arimathea

Tessa

Sorry Karen. That stinks! I hope they make sure to get it fixed before next year (since so many races spray paint the marks on the road).

Kat, menopause -- I had my last period in April 2012, a month before my 49th birthday. Good riddance. RN ran 28 miles yesterday to celebrate her half-century birthday and Mother Nature decided to give her a little gift which she did NOT want. She is envious of my status.

Susan, wow, 4 dogs? You will look like those dog walkers with dogs fanning out on leashes all around them!

6.46 on the TM at lunch. Getting slightly more comfortable at a bit faster pace. I blame donating blood a few weeks ago. And the cookies.

Anonymous Guest

Thanks Tessa.

That reminds me, I was going to answer Kat's menopause question also. My last period (hopefully) was in late January of this year. I turned 50 in July (but you all know that part already). And I agree with Tessa's good riddance!

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

Lizziebeerunning

Cupcake Connoisseur

I did not make it to the gym. I got a FLAT tire on the way. It was my fault I hit a curb (came out of nowhere). I obviously can’t call HCBF for help since he isn’t here! He offers to call a friend of his but right before he does I remember that my car doesn’t have a spare. WTF. What $40,000+ car does not have a spare?! All it had was an air pump kit which wouldn’t help me at all. I ripped that side wall to shreds.

Luckily one one of our engineers drove out of his way and towed my car to the tire place. $200 later I have a new tire. WTF. Awful day. AWFUL DAY! Oh, and of course as we are loading the car onto the trailer it starts snowing out of nowhere. HARD.

Karen - I’m so sorry about the race. That sh&$ really pisses me off!!! I will Have to catch up on your report tomorrow.

Going to be an interesting speed work run tomorrow. Winds are BAD!

i will catch up with everyone else later. Had to vent.

October 4 - Milwaukee, WI - 26.2

November 14 - Richmond, VA - 26.2

March 21 - Virginia Beach, VA - 26.2

Half Crazy K 2.0

Annoying day at work. Was hoping to run outside, charged up the lights and everything, but when I was feeling the wind move the car around, I decided to to stick with the treadmill.

AnonymousGuest, that sucks that the course was short. It seems like that is becoming more and more common.

DHuffman, ugh about the car. I hope your kitty starts feeling better. I think you had posted yesterday about alternating running & strength workouts? I did that when I started running. I liked it. I think I drank was too much of the "more miles are always better" koolaid on RWOL, and even though I think it would benefit me to do more strength training and maybe a little less running, I hesitate too reduce miles. I find even with 2 full body workouts per week, stuff hurts less. I try to throw in core work a little more as well.

Lizzie, that sucks. I did that to my car last year around this time, same thing, hit a curb & gashed the sidewall. I make sure to blow extra snot rockets in the directions of the houses where I was unloading the contents of my trunk & people who were clearly home offered no assistance or even asked if I needed anything.

Docket_Rocket

Tessa, 5 years for legacy (in 10 years, I think).

Karen, I'm sorry. Sad

Kat, unfortunately, I'm an 8, waaahhh!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

Lizzie, Chicago is a lottery, unless you're fast or legacy.  So it gives me guaranteed status so long as I keep 5 marathons in 10 years....

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

I am not menopausal but the best part of my total hysterectomy was no periods.  I still have my ovaries (apparently, total does not mean total, lol), so i get to experience menopause anyway.  Lovely.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

judyruns

Mighty Mouse

Lizzie, "It was my fault I hit a curb (came out of nowhere)". LOLOLOL  I can so identify with this! It's like the cement sidewalk that comes up and hits me if there are walnuts around.     Sorry about the flat.

Where is the "any" key?   

judyruns

HuronHeart

Yesterday I ran 3.5 miles with intervals on the TM in the morning, then a busy day at work followed by Christmas party.  Back on TM this morning for 3 easy miles. The weather has turned miserably COLD.  I did put a big dent in my Christmas shopping tonight. Thank goodness for Amazon.

Karen, sorry about the race being short. Seems like this has been happening a lot. You sure have a good attitude.

Lizzie, glad you are okay and the just your tire damaged. A few years ago, I had a mailbox come out of nowhere and knock off the passenger side mirror. I had it fixed and kept my mouth shut.

Docket, congrats on getting into Chicago!

Dhuffman, hope your kitty is okay.  I think your idea of alternating running and strength sounds like a good plan.

HC, hope work goes better tomorrow.

Hello to everyone else!

HH-Kathy

Arimathea

Tessa

Liz, ugh on the tire. No spare at all? Not even a donut?

I think most of us have done that at some point -- hit a solid object and exploded the tire.

Kupcakes, wind blowing your car around is not good. We're having bad winds also.

Damaris, my sister had everything removed (ovaries, uterus, cervix) and so went into menopause immediately. I think the only way to avoid menopause is to have everything out before you reach puberty, and that of course would have its own set of challenges.

Kathy, nice workouts!

Managed to avoid cookies this evening. And had no wine. I'm hoping I can lose a little more this week, I was down 2 lbs on Sunday.