Womens Running

Marathon Monday (over 40) (Read 17 times)

Yeah to the new marathoner!

susan-keep the bib and write time on the back.

Lisa

judyruns

Mighty Mouse

Heartiest congrats to the new marathoner and any other racers and runners as well!

My foot strike is definitely heel. ..pronation corrected. A good drop from the heel feels great for me, just a little bit like being ever so slightly pitched forward. Otherwise I feel like I am falling back on my heels too much.

New padlock for my gym locker. Our lockers need a longer (hasp?) (loopy thing?) to fit through the holes.

Friday I did 35 minutes on the track. It was a good run.

Saturday was a decent run, also 35 minutes on the track.

Sunday Buddy and I did 50 minutes out on the trail. It was very humid. We had had storms the night before but avoided rain during the run.

Today will be a track run as far as I know.

Happy runs, All!   :::HUGS:::

Where is the "any" key?   

judyruns

Good morning!  Still kicking although my ankles are what seem to hurt the most this morning.  Going to go to the gym for a swim this am. 

Still haven't finished my race report... hoping to do that later today.  To give you a sense of yesterday morning's fog... http://tinypic.com/r/201r8z/8

Judy, great job on the runs.  I realized yesterday that I must either toe strike on one foot or push off too hard on one side.  Unless I really thought about form after about 7 miles I had this awful pain under my right toes.  Didn't hurt when walking or when I was using better form.  Going to have to work on that. 

More photos on FB... stole a few (well got permission actually) from another runner showing the course.

Arimathea

Tessa

Yay Susan! Congratulations on your first full! One state down, 49 to go...

So how are you feeling today?

GatsbyBird, congratulations also, it was warm for SF. I have a friend on runango who DNSed the full because she fell last week and didn't think it was a good idea to risk injuring herself further.

Carol, glad the tri went well. And go run with Lisa, she knows the trails,

Marjorie, your weeks are particularly impressive because you don't do many doubles, so all othose runs are longer than a lot of people's shorter double days.

Ginny, good for you too!

Cindy, sensible to drive if the roads are not safe.

Karen! Congratulations on the AG! How long was the course, was it a 1 or 2 mile loop or some other distance? I grew very tired of Nanny Goat's 1 mile loop after doing it so many times.

Lisa, sounds like you had a good weekend also. Have you seen this month's issue of Backpacker? There is an article in there about a woman who just set the self-supported record for PCT -- 60 days. For 2100+  miles. That's 35 miles a day, every day.

Busy weekend as well. I was having trouble getting a lecture prepared. The chapter is on information technology and insurance, new to this edition of the book, and is in my opinion the most mindnumbingly boring chapter I have ever had to prepare a lecture for. And I have been teaching accounting for nearly 20 years so that's saying something. Oh, I did do a long run on Saturday -- um, didn't set out to run a marathon, but did a long loop and deviated from it to weigh in at WW and when I got back to the car and checked my miles it was 26.6. Good thing I had stopped several times for water and ice. 6.3 on Sunday with SRB.

Waving to all others...will try to BBL.

Hi Tessa,   Not so bad... a bit stiff and moving slower than usual, but really not bad.  I haven't taken any ibuprofen since last night before bed, too.  "Swimming" (more like just hanging out in the pool doing some sort of exercises, moving around, a couple of laps) felt awesome!  

Lisa, sorry to miss your text until last night.  DH and I had switched phones as I could fit his in my running shorts pocket but not mine.  He left mine in the car and I didn't realize that until I went to get it before heading to bed (I use the alarm clock on it). 

I had no clue that this was who I ran the initial mile and a half with at yesterday's marathon. He was just some guy who drove all the way from Green Bay to run a small-town, inaugural marathon, at least in my mind.  Nicest of guys.  http://www.solitudecanyon.com/thoughts-from-the-canyon/the-unbelievable-marathon-schedule-of-henry-rueden

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

10.2 since I moved yesterdays run to today.  Had a dentist cleaning this am.  One of my old crowns has had a crack in it for over 4 years.  We've been "watching" it.  Well, he said today it now has to be replaced.  They had an opening on Wed so I'll go back Wed am and let them do that.

Susan on the pics if you copy the link and on the bar where you are typing hit the pic icon (by the smiley face) you can paste it there and everyone can see it.  That way it will pull it into your post.  Guess they saved money by having the same medal for all three races?

Tessa I just can't do doubles.  The last time I did I had a bad injury and it also means running in the evening.  If I do that I do not sleep well.  That is a very long long run!

Marjorie

Marjorie, argh on the new crown... Sad 

Well here is the race report.  I made it public so hopefully, all of you can see it whether you're on FB or not.  https://www.facebook.com/notes/susan-j-masten/kensington-marathon-a-journey/10152562271507489  And now I'm going to pay for not reading my student's report and writing this.  Oh well...

Arimathea

Tessa

Bah. Must log into Facebook to continue.

Maybe I'll set Gwennie up with an account...I'd have to fudge her birthdate a bit, though.

Susan, great that you got to run with the guy... a lot of the senior Maniacs are some of the nicest folks you'd ever hope to meet, especially those who are also ultra/trail runners.

6.76 on the TM at lunch. Not one of my better runs, but it's done.

Anonymous Guest

Nice report, Susan. You did great! Good to have another marathoner in our midst! The overall winner was also a Marathon Maniac. I'm fb friends with him and he posted a short recap. He said he heard about the race the day before from the guy you met (they were both running another marathon Saturday). He thought it was well done, although he came to an intersection at one point and didn't know which way to go, so waited for the overall female winner to catch him and luckily she ran there all the time and knew the course. After that whenever he came to a decision point he'd hesitate, and then he'd hear her say left or straight or whatever. Too funny.

Judy, nice runs for you this weekend.

Gatsby, nice job on the SF half! That sounds pretty speedy for hilly SF. And I love the skirt you wore - very cute.

camille, I had to laugh reading your account of the 5K being harder than other races. At the end of the 6-hour race, I was walking back the 0.7 miles I'd run past the start/finish in the last few minutes with another guy, and it was his first ultra. He was surprised he felt as good as he did - he said he's felt worse after 5Ks. Then we went on to talk about how painful the short races were....then I came home and read your post. Oh, I use Athlinks and have been able to get on just fine. I hate to admit it, but if entrants to a race are posted ahead of time, I'll search for them in Athlinks to see if they are competition.

Carol, sounds like the tri went well. Nice job.

Ginny, another great run for you this weekend! When is your next race?

Tessa, that does sound boring. But I'm sure if anyone can make it interesting, you can. The course is a 4.1 mile loop. A few hills. All paved bike/running paths. Mostly shaded. So long enough to not go nuts and room for runners to spread out (limit is 110 total, including the relay runners), but short enough to not get lost or start missing civilization. If you didn't already have Maryland, I'd totally recommend it. I think of all the MD marathons/ultras I've run, it's my favorite. I ran a little with the RD of the 50K you came out and did. Super nice guy, met him at a race a little while ago because I was wearing that race hat. He finished 4th or 5th overall at age 61. Last year he was the overall winner.

I was supposed to run 8 today, and my legs feel fine, but shocker, I have another migraine. So I came home and instead of running I took a two hour hap. I so so hate missing a training day, especially in week 6! But I was feeling so bad on the way home from work I thought I might either pass out or throw up on the train - luckily I did neither.

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

Arimathea

Tessa

Karen, I don't have any problems doing more than one race in a state. There are too many good races to rule out anything in a state because I already have that one on my list! Sorry you have a migraine, glad the race went so well. And snickering about the guy needing he lead woman to tell him where to go.

Beating back an ant invasion in the kitchen. I should've expected it because of the construction disturbing them all, but still, ugh.