Womens Running

Matinee Friday (dailies) (Read 17 times)

Kilmisters

I sure hope you guys enjoyed your Thanksgiving (I saw Lisa is in NYC!), nice ''effect'' for me as well - very early NHL games this evening, starting from 8pm Smile Flyers play at 11:30pm.

HCK, nice workout, the ladder workouts are fun! Re: carbon plated shoes, it does feel like some sort of cheating; not commenting re: you in particular, of course, but in general. An experienced runner I know actually thinks they are bad for the knees due to the slight bounciness (the spring effect returns energy back to the knees). Not that I know anything about such stuff, of course.

Judy, hopefully you're feeling well today!

Edit: Europe is going bananas re: new variant coming from Africa; travel banned from 8 African countries. Also, headline: Passengers on South African flight not allowed to get off in Amsterdam amid concern about new COVID variant; testing and quarantine expected

''What will happen if I run up the hills? Ah, volcano muscle soreness!!'' (c) Margaret

''Who needs quads anyway!?'' (c) Damaris

ccoakley

Good morning, I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving!

Super lowkey day here except I still spent a solid 4-5 hrs cooking but I love it.  The kids really got into the parade this year and then we watched a kids movie in the afternoon.  It's so cool seeing them be on the verge of being real people we can do fun things with instead of feeling like just providing childcare.

Was going to do 13 today but feel the slightest start of a shin splint so 1, 3 or 5 depending on how it feels while running.  The last time this happened a couple weeks ago I was able to do a walk/run without causing more harm so I'm crossing my fingers that works again.

Kilmisters, I've read a couple things about the new variant and it's really scary.  I have an opportunity to take the kids to Paris in July and I was just starting to think it'd be ok to go and now....they move so fast with adding travel restrictions I'm really concerned about getting stuck somewhere.  Glad you got to enjoy the holiday NFL schedule.

Anyone else think the black Friday sales (especially emails) are super aggressive and totally tone deaf this year?

Edit: Forgot to add I'm enjoying my favorite day after Thanksgiving tradition of leftover whipped cream in my coffee 

5k 24:53 (2020) |10k 52:24 (2021) |HM 1:57:14 (2019) |FM 4:24 (2007) |50k 5:57 (2022)

Docket_Rocket

Morning! RD for me. Maybe some Barre.

Elina, they don't make you faster, just help you run more efficient. But there was an article that talked about how they might make you more prone to perform worse in races and/or get injured if you run in them too often (at least they were talking about the Nike ones but same thing for others).

CC, glad you enjoyed it.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Kilmisters

Elina, they don't make you faster, just help you run more efficient. But there was an article that talked about how they might make you more prone to perform worse in races and/or get injured if you run in them too often (at least they were talking about the Nike ones but same thing for others).

Yeah, I get that. Emotionally, I want to oppose this carbon ''movement''; but on the other hand, if we look at shoes from a decade ago vs the (mostly) cushioned versions now... It doesn't even have to be such time frame; I wore my Asics that I set 2016 HM PB in the other day while gardening and they felt like socks and it seemed like I can feel every rock under the sole (even tho they were still solid, it wasn't about wear and tear, but more about construction of the shoe). I've read several research papers: re how our feet was evolutionally never built for moving around w such cushion/spring, and what it could mean for Achilles/ankles of further generations. Interesting stuff. So, what I am trying to say w all this, the carbon stuff taking over, to certain extent, is probably inevitable. Same as those fancy lights on the border of Lane 1 in the stadiums that serve as virtual pacers, probably.

''What will happen if I run up the hills? Ah, volcano muscle soreness!!'' (c) Margaret

Docket_Rocket

Yeah, the article talked about your muscles not being used as intended while running because of the bounce while others being worked harder because the impact has to go someplace. Found it!

LINK

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Kilmisters

Yeah, the article talked about your muscles not being used as intended while running because of the bounce while others being worked harder because the impact has to go someplace. Found it!

LINK

You're a rockstar, as always!

LC Runs

Happy Friday!

3 this morning, omg it is cold and windy.  I ran 5 Thanksgiving morning and it was a balmy 40 degrees.  Spent the day downstate, ate too much, typical Thanksgiving LOL

Elina - I saw that in my news feed about the new variant out of Africa....ugh....the news just keeps getting worse.

CC - sounds like a fun day yesterday!!  I hope the shin feels better!

Damaris - have a good rest day!

Getting ready to do a weight workout, then I think oldest DD and I are going to check out some downtown shops, we've had a few new places open up in the past couple of months.  Nothing much else on the agenda, BF is working and younger DD is at Old Navy (she had to be there at 5 am!).

Will check in later!

judyruns

Mighty Mouse

Damaris, am I imagining this or are the new running shoes looking like they have much taller platforms?

Elina, I love the cat picture. 

Still somewhat queasy because of the shot. Resting today and hydrating a lot to keep the temperature down. At least I've been able to accomplish some seatwork and listening to podcasts and books on CD with being cooped up.

Some dark humor here: the jab was in the "good" arm but I ended up this morning trying to get out of bed with both upper arms having the same hurt. It's awkward trying to get arms into sleeves. 

Where is the "any" key?   

judyruns

Anonymous Guest

WE HAVE INTERNET!!! When they came out two weeks ago, the day after we closed, they couldn't hook us up because there were no available "nodes" since our neighborhood is growing so fast. They had to do something back at "facilities" to make it work. Guy came back out this morning and at first couldn't make it work. He said he wasn't leaving until it was done and called and talked to a different programmer, went back out to the front of the neighborhood, came back and did some things, and we now have 1 GB internet, download and upload. Screaming fast - currently limited only by our devices (my 2014 computer will apparently only go so fast....). After crappy internet at the RV parks, then slow internet using our phones as hotspots, this is pretty exciting.

Uneventful Thanksgiving here. We got all the stuff cleared out of the garage so we can once again fit three vehicles in. The master bedroom/bath/closet is done, the living room, dining room and kitchen almost done. The office, workout room and guest bedroom/model boat room will still take some time, but it's starting to look like a normal house.

I'm going to take a break and go for a little run this afternoon. Now that I can post and not worry about losing it with poor internet (as happened yesterday), I'll try to be better at posting.

cc, how many miles do you have on your shoes? When mine get old, the shins are where I start to feel it - always a signal to me to check the mileage. Awesome that the kids are getting to the "fun little people" stage.

Elina, yay for more normal hockey viewing times this evening.

Damaris, enjoy the rest day.

Laura, sounds like a kinda chill afternoon. Enjoy.

Judy, sorry you're still feeling the after effects of the shot. Should be ending soon, I'd think? Good for you looking at the bright side of at least being able to accomplish things while waiting it out.

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

Half Crazy K 2.0

3 miles on the treadmill this morning. It was windy & cold and I didn't want to go outside. Did some laundry and need to call a repair guyu out for our washing machine. Wednesday I heard a noise, but DH was polishing some car parts in the garage and I thought it was him. Nope, it was coming from the washing machine all along. Ugh.

Kilmisters, I've worn Wave Riders for about 10 years now. Those have always had a plastic plate in them for energy return or whatever it's supposed to do. The Saucony's definitely felt even more springier than Wave Riders.

ccoakey, yum, whipped cream in coffee is good.

Docket, I wonder if the injury from the shoes is from people who would be better off in a different shoe, but they wear the super ones for the performance reasons? I can see how if I wore them all the time, I'd probably fall into the trap of doing easy runs to hard.

LCRuns, yikes, it's already to the point where 40 degrees seems warm?

judyrunns, the new shoes are slightly taller. There is a 3mm difference in heel stack height fot my usual Wave Riders and the Saucony Endorphin Pros that I got. The Saucony shoes sort of remind me of the rocker bottom walking shoes that were a big thing several years ago.

AnonymousGuest, yay, internet!

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

I don't think it matters what kind of shoes I wear. I'm still gonna be slow. Lol. I'm good with that. At least I'm still out there plodding along. That said,  today was a rest day. I took the day off work too.  And we're laid off next week. I'm not unhappy about it though. I figure I'm easing into retirement.

Got my phone consult with cardiologist. He was surprised at how much I run. I suppose he doesn't see too many active patients in his field of medicine. He did say the leak was increasing though so I need to get checked twice a year now. But he said surgery was years away if at all since I still have no symptoms. C'est la vie.

And today I finally got my shirt,  toque and medal from Monumental virtual. I can't wait to race something in person so keep those variants away.

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**