Womens Running

March Monday (dailies) (Read 21 times)

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

. That's awesome

I passed with “above average” score!!!

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**

Half Crazy K 2.0

Lizzie, congrats on passing your test!

AnonymousGuest, for your marathoner, what type of pace did he run for his 20 milers? And was it consistent (did he start at a 10mm pace and fade to 12 by the end, or stay at one pace)? I'm thinking if he is a lower mileage runner, the McMillan & Daniel's calculators are likely very optimistic. Have you ever used the Slate calculator? It was fairly accurate for me. Aside from fueling like Lizzie already mentioned, I wonder if there is some sort of fatigue issue--where the long runs wear the body down, so by the time the race comes along, his body is just like, nope, we're done.

judyruns

Mighty Mouse

CONGRATS, LIZZIE!

Lizzie, the stretch:

Sit with both legs outstretched

Bend left leg at right angle across right leg so ankle rests on it

With left hand, press down on the bent knee

At the same time use left knee to press up against the hand (Knee is pressing up against the hand pressing down.)

Repeat with right leg crossing left.

This stretch is probably a regular one that I never knew about.

Also, are my directions clear? I'm not great at explaining things and I'm not sure what muscles it works on. 

Happy runs, All ! 

Where is the "any" key?   

judyruns

Half Crazy K 2.0

Judy, is it one of these:

If so, it really gets into the glute & hip area.

Anonymous Guest

Congratulations Liz! I knew you could do it.

Carol, so excited for your trip! I've been living vicariously through Sandy's insta pics from Fiji, but I might be even more jealous of your trip.

Judy, that's a great stretch (assuming it's the one HCK posted pictures of).

Elina, how frustrating.

Kathryn, wow that's a long, tough day. Yeah, it's a little late in the year for this below freezing crap. Although my run wasn't bad this morning.

Lori, great weekend of running for you - nice miles.

HCK, he did a lot better at not starting out too fast this past weekend (10-10:30 pace), and started cramping even sooner than when he took off faster. I think it's probably taking off faster than his endurance says he should, because yes, he does usually slow down on long runs. Still working on that start out slow. It's harder for him it seems than some of my slower runners, because he can run a 22 minute 5K. His 5K predicts a 3:35, his half a 3:55. He just wanted to finish under 5 (although he started more at 4:30 pace), and ended up at 5:35. But since his predicted finish gets slower as the race result I use gets longer, that makes me think it's pacing/training. But I can't just blame training because the slower runners all finished faster than him with the same or less training.

Anyway, the 13 went pretty well. I would have liked a little less wind. Next couple mornings are supposed to be just as cold but less windy, so yay. Should be good. I think I'll save my rest day for later in the week when it's raining and hot.

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

I passed with “above average” score!!!

Woohoo!  Congrats!

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

Half Crazy K 2.0

AnonymousGuest, it could definitely be the lack of miles. But I also wonder if his gait changes significantly when running at a 10-10:30 mm pace? If his 5k time is low 22, Daniels shows an easy pace in the 9-9:30-ish range.

I wonder if the slower runners in the group don't have the wide range of paces? So maybe they are running the marathon right around what naturally seems like an easy pace? I wish I could find it, but I've read how for low mileage runners, easy pace may equal marathon pace.

Anonymous Guest

AnonymousGuest, it could definitely be the lack of miles. But I also wonder if his gait changes significantly when running at a 10-10:30 mm pace? If his 5k time is low 22, Daniels shows an easy pace in the 9-9:30-ish range.

I wonder if the slower runners in the group don't have the wide range of paces? So maybe they are running the marathon right around what naturally seems like an easy pace? I wish I could find it, but I've read how for low mileage runners, easy pace may equal marathon pace.

I hadn't thought about his gait possibly changing if he slows down. That's interesting. The others are definitely more in the category of easy pace equaling marathon pace. If I remember correctly, he tends to go out around 9:30-10 normally, but usually slows down after maybe 10 or so. I just recently started following him on Strava - during our training season I was generally running with slower runners since he knew where he was going and usually took off faster than everyone else so I didn't really know what pace he was running at overall.

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

kats

WINE o'clock somewhere!

YAY LIZZIE!!!!!!

Kettle Moraine - June 2024

Beast of Burden - August 2024

Hennepin Hundred - Oct 2024

Javelina Jundred - Oct 2024

Docket_Rocket

Lizzie, congrats on passing your test!

AnonymousGuest, for your marathoner, what type of pace did he run for his 20 milers? And was it consistent (did he start at a 10mm pace and fade to 12 by the end, or stay at one pace)? I'm thinking if he is a lower mileage runner, the McMillan & Daniel's calculators are likely very optimistic. Have you ever used the Slate calculator? It was fairly accurate for me. Aside from fueling like Lizzie already mentioned, I wonder if there is some sort of fatigue issue--where the long runs wear the body down, so by the time the race comes along, his body is just like, nope, we're done.

Especially if they were running those LRs faster than they should (as I do most all the time?).  It's hard to remember to take it slow when it needs to.

When I PRd my marathons, I was basically running close to 12mm and my PR was 10:21mm.  And apparently, I go 10-second Bob and keep repeating the mistake of running LRs too fast for my britches.  So I assume we all got that bit of ego in us that forbids us to take it easy sometimes.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

Yay, Liz!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page