Womens Running

(Over 40) send in the weekend (Read 20 times)

runlikeagirl18

Hi ladies-

I'm lounging around in my jammies, drinking coffee and not doing anything productive. We played hooky from church today and I'm enjoying the relaxed atmosphere. I ran 8.4 miles yesterday, and today is officially a SDO, but I'll drag DS1 out for 2.5 miles or so.

Lisa - our tree is the same way - lots of kid-made ornaments, and some that were on our tree when I was a girl. I love it that way.

Judy - glad the effects of the fall are diminishing.

Karen - I hope your migraine has departed.

Damaris - yuck on the reflux. I've been noticing a bit more heartburn lately - I think it's one of those aging things. I hate any sentence that begins with "As we get older....."

Tessa - nice long run! When does DD have to head back to school?

Marjorie - it was rainy here earlier, but it seems to have let up. Which is good - I run in the rain, but I don't drag DS1 out in it.

Carol - have you tried using a tennis ball to roll out your, for lack of a better term, backside? When I've had piriformis trouble, I've gotten better relief from that than from my foam roller. It's easier to really pinpoint the sore spots.

Gatsby - I like the "50 reasons to run" idea. I hope your friend had a good run.

Laura - hope you continue to have some "runnable" temps.

Sugarland - sounds like dropping down to the half was the smart decision.

Camille - good books are ALWAYS worth talking about! I got books, plus Kindle and Barnes and Noble gift cards, for Christmas, so I'm thrilled.

Ok, it looks like the sun is coming out a bit, so I'm going to grab the opportunity and go run. Have a great day-

Cindy

2017 Races: Turkey Strut 5K 11/23, Mistletoe Half Marathon 12/2

SugarLand

Lisa - if you can please come do the Woodlands half marathon with me  - a couple of my running buddies are pacers for the finishing time of 2:45 we have a blast - it is so much fun crossing the finishing line with 1st timers - if you come down at Easter I would love to meet up with you

The temperature for Wednesday half marathon will be 32 degrees really this is Houston - I have to go purchase some warm running clothes - we should have a great run

i picked out out my new washer and dryer yesterday ( Christmas present ) I had to get over the shock of how expensive they are - hopefully the pair will last for 20 years like the old pair has

planning on a short run this evening - I have had a great 5 days off from work - tomorrow morning will be a rude awakening

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

10.1. And I didn't have to tape. YES!  It was pretty hot. I left around 930. Found a window of opportunity. It did not rain when I ran so I'm pleased.

Judy yep he was wet. Unlike Hammy Quincy hates water. He was not pleased to have to go out in the rain.

Lisa as growing up we always waited until after New Years too. But dh and I don't. I love the Santa Boot planters. I've had them a long time. They look much better with fresh paint. I also chose a brighter red then they were originally.

Carol ol piriformis sucks. Hope you nip it quickly.

Marjorie

Arimathea

Tessa

Marjorie, only one wet dog on your feet? You have two feet and two dogs, no room for the second dog?

Carol, ouch on the piriformis. Are you stretching it?

Lisa, YAY for 15.7! You are getting there!

Cindy, DD returns on January 10th. Hope she will be OK, she is changing planes in Chicago rather than the usual Denver.

No run yet today, but about to go out and haul DS along with me for a little while. We went to WW this morning and will likely be trying this Simple Start program for a couple of weeks.

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

Ha no Tessa. hammy curled back up on his pillow. He doesn't mind being wet because if the pool. Quincy, though, isn't a fan so my dry feet were appealing.

Made more cheese straws. Dh wanted them for chili.

It it is now super sunny and clear out. The wind seems to have died down too.

Cindy hope hope your day goes well. Nothing wrong with taking a day to be lazy.

Marjorie

Hi everyone. Having a lazy day besides a 12.6 mile run earlier. Completed 8 miles yesterday for "Dari's 50 Reasons Run." Not an organized race -- she decided she wanted to run 50 miles since she turned 50 this year and will be undergoing heavy duty chemo in the new year. She picked a day, mentioned it to her running friends, and someone designed a bib, and a few people got together to run with her (including a friend from Toronto who flew down to surprise her), and others like me did our running wherever we happened to be. A nice show of support., and she completed her 50!

Marjorie, you're having cheese straws and chili? Me too please! Glad you're back in the double digit miles with no complaints.

Lisa, glad to see your miles are creeping back up too!

Tessa, nice long run yesterday. Your weather sounds as wintery as ours. It's in the 60s today with a warm wind from inland.  Really need some rain or we'll be rationing come summertime.

Sugarland, you've got a busy race calendar ahead of you! Sounds fun.

Carol, I'm in agreement with those who recommended stretching (esp. pigeon stretch) and rolling a tennis ball under your, ahem, butt cheek (I'm not as polite as Cindy) to work through the piriformis pain.  Hope it goes away soon -- piriformis pain is the worst.

Karen, ugh on migraines.  Mine seem to get better while running but unless I catch it really early, it eventually comes back.  You have any meds that help?

Damaris, I meant to mention earlier that I'm glad to hear Trixie does not have cancer.  Nice work getting 11 miles in yesterday even with the reflux.

LC, hope you made some progress taking down the Christmas stuff this weekend.

Camille, I probably missed it but what was the diagnosis for your hip pain?  Sounds like you have some PT exercises that are working?  Very sorry for the loss of your uncle.   I'm thinking about making some sort of list of goals/things worth talking about/new experiences/etc. for the new year. I like the idea of having something positive to focus on.

Hi Judy -- hope the concussion symptoms are completely gone soon.  Glad your running is going well.

To make the rest of you feel better about your Christmas trees, here's a pic of our "Christmas tree", otherwise known as the big houseplant in the dining room:

http://images1.snapfish.com/232323232%7Ffp%3B9%3B%3Enu%3D3237%3E9%3C%3A%3E847%3EWSNRCG%3D353%3B34%3B%3A8433%3Anu0mrj

4/14/24 Napa Valley 50k, Calistoga, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

Bikerchick1

Gatsby - Love your Christmas-tree-plant....  it is very orginal   Nice of you to do your run to support your friend.

Tessa - Curious what the "simple start" program is about?  It is such a constant struggle isn't it.

cindy - Sounds like you had a very relaxing morning.

I'm really liking the idea a few of you have mentioned about positive things to do for the year.  I am a big goal-type person, and have been thinking what mine are for the year.  Hmmm.....will have to think about this some more.

Tennis ball/rolling/stretching/motrin - check on all.  Must say, since I haven't ran today, and really have worked on it, I can sit on my left "butt-cheek" without feeling like there is a red-hot poker stabbing me...

Carol