Womens Running

Final Friday (Over 40) (Read 213 times)

Arimathea

Tessa

Lisa, happy birthday to Kaite! And yes, tomorrow we can start saying "at least it's not November!"

Ooh, running in Chicago. Love that city. Except if you are on the lakefront watch out for territorial geese. They are worst in the spring, I think, when they are nesting. I had an encounter with one on the lakefront path a few years ago. That is, I had an encounter with a ticked-off goose, at which point the goose had an encounter with my foot, followed closely by a surprised honk and then a splash. Not feeling guilty at all. They are waterfowl, after all, and I was in a very bad mood that morning.

Love the GPS cruise ship story. You mean MiaInWA (Marian)?

Judy, enjoy the track run! Is the Maniac wearing his/her singlet at the track or did it just come up in conversation?

Marjorie, that is way past time for new shoes! Also wearing Blurs today. I rotate them with the Nimbuses.

Lisa-Marie, I'm not convinced of the "up calories to lose weight" science unless you have been limiting them severely, but it's worth a try. I do WW and count points rather than calories.

And yes I was lifting heavy boxes of cans. We were sorting donated foodstuffs by type (soup, fruit, veggies, etc.), and I was stationed between one woman who is older and has some neck issues (like Carolyn, I think) and another who is six months pregnant, neither of whom could lift really heavy stuff. So I was carrying a lot of filled boxes to the shipping area.

Laura, could you carry a flashlight or wear a headlamp, would that expand your route choices? I have a couple that I only do the week after full moon when there's more light.

Katepups, good for you with the races! I live in southern California and Bethlehem Steel did have a plant out here too, DH's stepgrandfather worked at "Lady Beth" in South Gate. Thanks for adopting rescue dogs! (We have two cats, both from the county animal shelter.)

Hi Cindy! Good luck on your half tomorrow. Sub-2 is a goal that has eluded me so far. Domestic XT definitely counts, especially when you are cleaning up after three small boys and one big one. Let us not mention cleaning the bathrooms that the aforesaid boys use -- and misuse.

Hi Amy! You're right, I don't think I know anyone who loathes November as much as Lisa does. Ouch on the gloves. Get some good ones, they are worth it. I tend to wear them even if I have short sleeves at this time of year, because my hands get cold so fast.

Julia, furry alarm clocks need a snooze button sometimes, don't they?

Julie, the November thing as far as I remember is because in miserable weather, like the coldest dreariest nastiest February days, people started saying "but the days are getting longer, at least it's not November". You know in November that the days are still getting shorter and the winter is yet to really set in. December has a lot of distractions and then the solstice, and in January you can see the days getting a bit longer each day even though it's cold.

Shoes -- depends on a number of variables, including the type of shoe, type of surface you're running on, whether you're rotating them with another pair, how much you weigh, what kind of a striker you are (heel, midfoot, forefoot), and other factors. I usually figure on getting about 500 from Asics. I got about 300 from Mizunos when I was wearing them. Nikes last at least 500, but I like Asics' cushiness more. Reeboks I find the outsole wears out faster than I would like. I am a heel striker, neutral gait, blessed with the ability to wear most shoes and not get injured.

5 this morning. I haven't got as much as Marjorie has for this month, would need to do 11 more today to get 300. And I won't be likely to do that on my lunch hour! But close, and December should be a bit higher since we have 5 weekends.

Woo hoo...Friday...payday...yay! Happy runs, everyone.

Arimathea

Tessa

Hi Karen, cross posted! Good luck with your race tomorrow too.

judyruns

Mighty Mouse

The Marathon Maniac info just came up in conversation. He is an outdoors runner during the good weather.

As to "At least it's not November" has been my attempt at being positive about northern Ohio winter.  Hee!

Where is the "any" key?   

judyruns

camille2

Hello, runners!  

I worked at the clinic this am and still need to get an easy run in.  I am feeling tired and draggy due to a poor night's sleep but will prob feel better after a couple miles.   Not a  big deal. 

I don't think I mentioned that at the Turkey Trot I did, a young woman who was a double  above knee amputee ran it.  She had  a big smile at the end and got big cheers from the crowd.   Inspiring for sure.

Amy, I'd really second the advice to get mittens since they are much warmer than gloves. Your poor hands.

Cindy, good luck tomorrow!  I'm sure you'll get your sub2 if it isn't horribly hilly. BTW, I'm often surprised at how much mess I can make living alone!  Pathetic, but true.  : ) I'd be cleaning like a mad woman  if I had guests coming, too.

Marjorie,  from yesterday...I'm just doing an easy streak with my late hubby's family. We didn't get to do the Turkey Trot together this year, so DD, and my bro-in-laws family decided on a streak challenge of 15 min of exercise or 1 mile daily between TG and xmas. Wow on your miles! 

WTG!

LC thanks for mentioning your cal counter.   I'm already starting my GA winter gain and need to nip it in the bud. I made desserts for both Thanksgiving dinners and had to sample a bit.  Big grin

Lisa, I'm afraid to buy Nutella.  It's too good.  : )

Jules, enjoy the Jingle Bell run!   DD is coming 12-17.

Katepups and Julia, I've also done the half at both Nashville and Disney.  We didn't have good weather at either. : ) Disney was hot and remains both our  PW. : )

Karen, good luck tomorrow!

Tessa, sounds like you got in great xtraining at the pantry.  Got my laugh of the day from the waterfowl story.

I need to get with it or I'll be doing a moonlight run.  Speaking of moons, last evening's moon was so gorgeous-dark golden  color and bright.  Tuesday, we'd done our annual silent hike that we time with the full moon, but it was mostly cloudy. We sing Silent Night and then hike. It's a nice tradition.

annieSusan

Mild weather demanded a bike ride yesterday, and it was a pleasant 17 miles. This morning I walked 4 miles, then ran a big ol' half mile. Still taking it extremely easy on the ankle. If I have no soreness tomorrow or Sunday, I will finally extend my distance on Monday. Anyway, after the run I went to the gym and did some upper body weights, came home and finished some yard work. Off to grab some pizza with DH. Good runs,all!

mommymac

So my claim to fame is having the forum's PW for the month of November - zero! I probably won in age group category too!

Six hours until it's no longer November . . .

Anyone else getting out a wine glass . . . ?

Carolyn 

Arimathea

Tessa

Not getting out a wine glass, but that's only because I'm still at work. When I get home, all bets are off. Though I want to drag DS out for a couple of cold, dark, rainy miles (doesn't that sound lovely?).

Carolyn, you have an excuse. And you'll make up for it when you can run again.

7.06 on the TM at lunch. I even cranked out a minute at 8.0 mph.

Disney freak

I cranked out the margarita glass tonight.  Took the family up to a restaurant at the front of the subdivision that has a patio and a bounce house for the   kids.  It was a beautiful 70 degrees.  Great weather for us to sit out, eat dinner, and watch the kids play.

Lisa Marie

• first 5K on 12/8/12 - 39:14
                  • first 10K on 1/12/13 - 1:23:45
                  • upcoming races: Hypnotic Donut Dash - 1/26, Hot Chocolate 5K 2/9, Rock n Roll half relay 3/24
                  • training for Big D half on 4/14

Judy is indeed the author of "at least it's not November"... I always think of it this way.. October you usually have the last hurrah of fall / Indian Summer. If it gets really cold you are pretty certain you'll have a couple of nice days pop up still.  In November, for the most part, when it gets cold you just know that you're starting winter... the entire winter is there in front of you.  Come December we're all busy with holiday stuff and you sort of want cold so not that bad. Come January.. well, "at least it's not November."  Northern States stuff I guess.

Did a nice 5 miler this morning at a very comfortable pace.  Sort of felt like a "comfort run".  If we can have "comfort food"

Lisa

Hey there running ladies,

I joined the Women's Running group a few days ago... I'm not very good at dailies and I don't usually log into RA until it's evening in California, long after many of you are done for the day!   So, mostly I just lurk.  But I wanted to say hi and welcome to RA.  I've been here for a few years and this is home for me.  I'm 44, do 2-3 marathons a year plus a few HMs, and I did my first 50K last year.  This Sunday I'm running the California International Marathon in Sacramento... anyone else going to be there?  Supposed to be raining cats and dogs, but oh well... what can you do. 

I love Christmas and I'm so happy December is here.   I have a stepson in junior college, a DH who is my running buddy, and 3 feathered children (see my avatar).  That's it for now.  Will try to lurk less and post more!

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

Linda

Hi Gatsbybird:  A couple of us are in CA, as well.  I, too, sometimes don't read until very late.  I am very interested in that Sacramento Marathon.  I've never done a marathon, but I am looking at it as my possible first, next year.  Good Luck.  Give us an RR.

IG profile @lindasig_runs

Headsweats Ambassador Discount Code  "LINDASIGRUNS"

Over 45 PR's:  5K - 21:21, Half - 1:39:49, Full - 3:33.47