Womens Running

Merry Monday (Over 40) (Read 17 times)

judyruns

Mighty Mouse

I've decided to improve Monday this week. It's going to be treated with the same kindness as Friday.

Post.

Where is the "any" key?   

judyruns

judyruns

Mighty Mouse

Friday was 35 minutes running on the track. I felt better running than the previous week.

Saturday was SDO except for a 30 minute hike. Weather was cold and brisk but the hike was great.

Sunday Buddy and two others in his family joined me for an 80 minute run. It was great fun even though it was cold. I had some afternoon time to study.

Today will be a quick grocery stop, track run, then cardio at home.

Happy runs, All! :::HUGS:::

Where is the "any" key?   

judyruns

Bikerchick1

Judy - that is a great idea to treat Monday like Friday Smile

Lisa - congrats on the Marathon...looked like beautiful weather.  Sorry your feet didn't like the concrete Sad

ginny - congrats to you on Cleveland !!!!

congrats to any of the other racers this weekend.  Smile

Thanks for for the birthday wishes!

we we are in Bonaire for a scuba diving trip for 2 weeks, so probably will not run.  If I do it will be minimal.  It is hot, hot, hot....not complaining as the ocean is wonderful !

Hints all & have a great Monday!

carol

camille2

Good morning!  I'm still in NC.  Plan to start heading back but drive part of  blue Ridge parkway on the way.

judy, it's nice that you had a group run.

carol, enjoy Bonaire.  I've heard about the great diving.

Gatsby, nice finish time!

DD and I did Bull city 5 miler yesterday in good weather and on pretty course.  It's a good race except for very crowded first 2 miles when half split off.  Splits:  10:54, 10:09, 10:07, 9:25, and 9:22.  It's only race I've ever done with faster times at end. : )  Maybe crowding helped.  Clock: 54Tight lippedx, chip: 49:24.  They went by chip for awards and I placed second AG.  A surprise. They are mailing awards.  I felt good and that was a confidence builder. I needed that.

edit

Karen,  I'm enjoying your posts about shopping for races.  I used to do that a lot.

Thank all. Sorry for the long race report yesterday!  Slept with ice pack on knee and have been rolling quads.  For some reason they are sore.  I'm guessing that as the feet complained on up the back of my legs the front tried to compensate. I'll do the half again, no problem but the mere idea of running a full on roads literally sends a shiver up my spine.  Unless it is New York.  I will take road for NYCM.

Gatsby-congrats!

Judy-Merry Monday sounds good!

Carol-enjoy the heat and the ocean!

Karen-most long runs were on trails but by 20 was on pavement (not concrete though). Maybe I'm nuts but I swear I can feel the difference between concrete and asphalt/pavement.

Lisa

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  Congratulations to the awesome racing ladies!  I have 8 miles tonight.

Ginny, great job on the finish!  Deets, please!

Gatsby, great race and LLR meet up!

Lisa, great job on the race!  Sorry the concrete was a bear; you did awesome considering how you were feeling due to it.

Judy, enjoy the cardio and track workouts tonight.

Carol, enjoy the scuba trip!

Have a great day!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Anonymous Guest

I'll try Judy, but Monday is giving me a threatening look. It seems to know that It's Monday, and wants me to know as well.

Carol, nice! Have a great time. You are having waaay too much fun this year! The Grand Canyon followed by two weeks in Bonaire - sweet. If it makes you feel better, it was 38 degrees when I left the house this morning - enjoy the heat.

camille, nice race!! And speedy last mile. Congrats on the AG award!

Damaris, enjoy the 8.

Karen-most long runs were on trails but by 20 was on pavement (not concrete though). Maybe I'm nuts but I swear I can feel the difference between concrete and asphalt/pavement.

"They" say you can't tell the difference, but I'm with you - swear I can. I think it was the combination of hotel TM and concrete roads in Houston that pushed me over the edge with the PF. My neighborhood will have concrete roads, but I found a park with an asphalt path about 4 miles away, which I will probably be going to for most of my every day runs. My new neighborhood is also rather small, and I will only be able to do one-mile loops before I hit a busy road with no shoulder or sidewalk. Another reason to drive to the park.

Thanks for the long race report - I enjoyed it! Brought back memories. And I laughed at the speedy Bourbon mile. So all we have to do is get you drunk and you'll get a massive PR? Okay...

Probably a rest day for me, maybe an easy spin on the bike. I'm feeling a little tired and achy - hope it's nothing.

karen

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

ginnyb

Just got home from Columbus....I will post a RR later.  It was a tough one for me, but I finished.  This was my 4th Half since June and albeit it was slow, it was my best time of all 4, which surprised me.  I will be back

Ginny

http://ginnybess.blogspot.com/

6/8 Hatfield/McCoy Half, 8/18 lake Erie Shores and Islands Half, 9/21 Mighty Niagara Half Lewiston, NY, 10/7 Cleveland Rock & Roll Half 10/6 or Detroit Free Press 10/20, A Christmas Story 5 or 10K Cleveland 12/7, Santa Hustle Half Cedar Point 12/15

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

Monday so a rest day.

Lisa why would you apologize for a race report length?  Nothing wrong with it.  You know we all like details anyways!

I wonder, Karen, if they did a study on injury on those that run on concrete versus asphalt if they find something.  Even if the give is negligible I wonder if the injury rate is different or maybe it is all perception?  Who knows.

Marjorie

ginnyb

Karen.....you could bunk with me too....also about an hour from Toledo!

Ginny

6/8 Hatfield/McCoy Half, 8/18 lake Erie Shores and Islands Half, 9/21 Mighty Niagara Half Lewiston, NY, 10/7 Cleveland Rock & Roll Half 10/6 or Detroit Free Press 10/20, A Christmas Story 5 or 10K Cleveland 12/7, Santa Hustle Half Cedar Point 12/15

Arimathea

Tessa

Oh, there is definitely a difference between asphalt and concrete. And it's not just the nasty little changes in height of concrete slabs that catch your toes and cause you to fall. Asphalt is more forgiving. There's a reason they don't build roads of concrete in the North...not flexible enough to stand up to the temperature swings.

Lisa, nice race report, and no such thing as too long. I find myself thinking wistfully that I would like to do Detroit again at some point.

Camille, congratulations on the AG placement!

Did 9 with SRB yesterday morning, made it to church just in time to scramble into robes to be crucifer/chalice at the early service, then headed up to WW to weigh in and back to church just as choir rehearsal started. Back into robes over running clothes! Good thing ours are full length cassocks and flowy surplices and conceal everything. 4 with RN this morning, then 7 at lunch.

http://www.eventbrite.com/e/new-york-city-trail-festival-greenbelt-trail-ultra-50k-tickets-9747680575

http://www.challenge-race.com/calendar.html

Hmm... Found this... a 50k trail run on Staten Island.  December 6.  25k loop done twice.  Interesting....

Lisa

Anonymous Guest

Oh, there is definitely a difference between asphalt and concrete. And it's not just the nasty little changes in height of concrete slabs that catch your toes and cause you to fall. Asphalt is more forgiving. There's a reason they don't build roads of concrete in the North...not flexible enough to stand up to the temperature swings.

Asphalt is more flexible than concrete, but both can have problems with freeze thaw in cold climates. Asphalt is generally a better material for pavement (because is is flexible). The reasons you see concrete in some places (stupid Houston roads, and the roads in Champaign-Urbana, IL for example) is usually due to state/local DOT bias, cost (and how life cycle costs are calculated, which can be biased in itself), or in some cases a state thinks it is important to support both industries, so will award contracts "fairly". Iowa is one state that comes to mind as a decidedly pro-concrete state, Missouri an example of a state trying to keep both industries in business.

I've seen arguments that say a runner doesn't weigh enough to make in difference in whether a pavement flexes or not. I still think asphalt is more forgiving, and when it comes to cars and trucks it definitely is. But it feels better than concrete even when I run, whether it's been proven scientifically or not.

Look at me going all pro-asphalt, even after getting laid off by their association last summer! Just don't get me started on vinyl siding , other than to say worse running surface than asphalt or concrete.

Lisa, you would find a trail run in NYC!

Ginny and Lisa, thanks for the offers of a place to stay. Part of the reason to run this one would be so DH could see his mom one more time before we move farther away, so would stay at her house. She's only about 45 minutes from the start, and DH's brother is only 15 minutes from the start, so we may stay with his mom for the weekend but his brother the night before. But now that I realize you are both only an hour away, I can start my campaign to convince you to run the race!

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

ginnyb

Race Report from my blog.....

MONDAY, OCTOBER 20, 2014

Perseverance Pays Off!

Traveled to Columbus, Ohio this weekend to run the Columbus Marathon/Half Marathon.  I have been having problems with my calves cramping during the last miles, so the last few weeks have been spent trying to figure out a cure for this problem.  Of course, if you look it up on Google , runner's world etc. you get all kinds of reasons that this may be happening.  I decided to do 2 things, roll my calves several times a day with my "stick" and up my potassium consumption.  I had no idea that the  daily amount of potassium was 4700mg!  Yikes!  I was no where close to that!  Thought it was worth a try...so I have been eating sweet potatoes , white potatoes all baked and making sure to eat the skins.  Upped my yogurt consumption, bananas, apples.  I still wasn't getting the whole amount, but certainly was better than before.  The stick is no treat either, man thats hurts!  I found a couple of places on my calves that were really knotted and worked on these, again, figured it couldn't hurt.  I've been drinking my water, cutting down on the Diet Coke...And, bought a pair of compression sleeves , I read they might help also, something has got to help, right? Unfortunately, I haven't been running as much as I should have been though, a couple of short runs during the week and maximum 8 mile long runs on weekends, since my last half almost a month ago, some weeks I only ran once during the week and the long run.  Was not feeling real confident.  The race started at 7:30 in downtown Columbus.  We were staying with friends, about a half hour drive away from downtown, left about 5:30 and they dropped my husband and I off around 6.  It was chilly, about 48 at 6.  Not too many people there yet,  I love early starts for races, but in these bigger ones, where you have to get there so early to find parking etc, kind of a pain killing all that time, especially when it is kinda cold.  However, no lines at the porta-pottys!!   We walked around and around and around.....sat on the curb for awhile, I checked out the corrals, had our pictures taken a few times.  Finally I decided I might as well get to my corral.  They would not let anyone, besides runners in the corrals so my husband and I parted ways.  There were 4 corrals, I was in the last one of course.  All I kept saying in my head was, Please don't let me get cramps, please don't let me get cramps.  I had been standing for so long that my hips started aching and then it seemed like everything was aching!  Squatting seemed to relieve the aching, so I kept doing squats periodically.  Still dark out and cold, but wait, I think they are starting the National Anthem, thank goodness!  They also had fireworks...it was cool!!!!!   However, that was for the first wave of corrals A and B...darn!   About 20 minutes later they sang the anthem again and more fireworks and we were on our way.  I felt really stiff and the backs of my legs were aching, but that happens frequently when I start off, unfortunately this would be my state for the whole race!  Bright spot...... , I would say between miles one and two I kept thinking I heard my name being called.  I thought I was hallucinating because I didn't know anyone in Columbus.  Looked to my right and there was one of my best friends in the world holding a sign and yelling my name!  Her daughter was also running the half.  I knew her daughter was running, but we don't live close anymore and I had no idea that she was going to the race to watch her daughter.  Almost made me cry.  I have never had a sign held for me!   I have to admit that I did not notice too much of the scenery.  I was really feeling rotten, my back hurt, my legs ached, I had the wooden feet feeling and I was maybe at mile 5, a long way to go! All I kept thinking is that I cannot walk this whole darn thing, it will take me forever!  I tried to look around and take in the surroundings, but my mind was really playing games with me today, things like just sit down and call your friends to come get you, you are such a loser, your legs are gonna cramp up any second now!  So.......at the next aid station I took a salted caramel GU, which are wonderful by the way, and decided to suck it up!  Started running more, walking less, I could not seem to increase my speed though.  Did start to notice where I was running, ran past Capital University, some really beautiful neighborhoods, parks.  I have to say the crowd support was phenomenal.  I have run In Cleveland and Detroit and although I enjoy both of those, Columbus had the best crowd support!  It was constant throughout the whole 13.1.  A couple of signs that caught my eye were "  You are running better than our government"   " My mother made me sit out here with this stupid sign and where are you going anyway?"  " You feeling lousy?  you PAID to do this!" I was still struggling, but all of sudden is was mile 8 and I started to think I was going to finish after all.  I had been trying to stick with the 3 hour pace people, but by this time they were way ahead of me.  That is how slow I was going.  Right foot started cramping and I am thinking oh no, here we go.  I just kept on doing what I was doing, run a minute, walk a minute and then Mile 9, 10, 11, 12 and finally approaching the end.  There was a mile marker for 13, but I have never run such a long .1 before!  I thought the finish line was never  be in sight, but suddenly there it was and I had done it and did not get calf cramps!  I don't know if it was because I was going slower than usual or my pre race routine the weeks before, all I know is that I did not get the terrible cramps.  Finished in 3:13 something, which considering how bad I felt, I was kind of happy with that.  I really thought it was going to be worse than that.  Actually out of the 4 Halfs I have done since June, this was my best time.  Has not been a great year for time this year.  Came in 61 out of 96 in my age group.    I hope this doesn't sound like boasting, but I learned a lot about myself, I can do more than I think I can and I am not a quitter!!!!!!  The statement on the shirt and medal was quite appropos for me this year!  Triumph!

Ginny-quitter? You are the best non-quitter I know!  Congrats on persevering! And not using your deductible! I had a salted caramel Gu as well yesterday.   I'd be in for Glass City half with you if Karen does the full. It's on road so I'm only interested in the half.

Karen-talk about karma. The guy from Toledo was at the detroit expo and gave me a glass mug for stopping by his table. The medals were fairly nice with a bridge and rainbow on them. Ill have to take a pic of the mug. It's on my table. LOL

They just redid our freeway in extra deep concrete. No pavement. I guess they are daring frost heave to move that block of cement.

Lisa