Womens Running

Try Again Thursday (Read 21 times)

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

I'm looking for localish 50k in November. I'm in Windsor so Michigan or Ohio would be my best bets. Has any one ever run Fuzzy fandango or Regal Beagle? They're both in Ohio.

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**

Yay Ginny!!!  how exciting!!

I think I almost have this phone thing licked. I finally figured out what magic password they wanted and now I am awaiting admin approval. Sheesh!! Then I can link w my car bluetooth again. We are so tech-dependent now!

Anonymous Guest

8 miles. 3, then puppy check, then a mile with Riley, puppy check, 2.5, puppy check, 1.5. He was mostly sleeping but one time was awake and looked tired but ready to cry about being alone, so I hung out for a few minutes until he went back to sleep. it was a pretty good run, although the sun came out the last mile and a half and with the humidity, got pretty miserable. We are at 36 hours without a poop in the house. It's the little things.....

Ginny, that is so exciting!! I'm happy for you. As I've been going through our finances lately to figure out what we need to do and what we'll need to live on once DH retires, I understand it can be a little scary.

Sandy, when I have a bad run, I try to think about how Deena Kastor explained in her book how she changed her thinking and how she now looks at bad runs and thinks "this is where growth happens." We all have bad runs. Realize that you gained something even from them and move on.

Damaris, good luck with that! Scrolling down, I see you didn't need my luck! Enjoy the run and Pilates later.

Judy, nice on getting the evil hill back into your runs.

Diane, frustrating on the TMs. Hopefully there's not a lot of usage so you can just restart the dumb things, because 30 minutes? That's barely a warm up!

Susan, yay for a good run this morning!!

Liz, nice job on that last long run!! On the vacation, if I'd been looking forward to the time off from work, I'd probably take a couple days but not the whole week. I'm so excited so many of us are able to make it to GC! There's one baby runner in particular that started running with us last year and had no intention of ever racing a half - he just wanted to run a faster 5K. Houston will be his first marathon. And where last year we only had one full marathoner and two half, this year we'll probably have close to a dozen total with several of those the full. Plus Damaris' 50th.......since she conveniently DNFd her last one now her 50th won't be Chicago, but my hometown marathon!

Cathy, nice run for you this morning. The Rolls Royce of garbage disposals sounds pretty sweet. I think we have the Ford Pinto of garbage disposals. I'm excited to meet you too. When Sandy, Liz and I were sitting around Sandy's sister's cabin after Fargo looking for races, I think I was the one that threw out Glass City - not only do my inlays live there, but it's driving distance for a lot of people, and I have a friend that lives there and does it every year and says it's a great race. In fact, I was signed up for it once before, but with the move to TX and the PF I DNFd.

Kathryn, I was just reading about this potential tropical storm entering the Gulf that the local weather guy has been watching. Looks like it's probably not going to be big enough for a name, and it's going to hit to the south of me. But the latest map had it moving inland and possibly up your way. I think you have been getting even more rain that us lately, so I hope it stays south! Nice of your coworker to mow the lawn.

Tessa, sorry about the kitten and hope the rest are okay. Of course we'd love to see you in Toledo, but that timing sounds pretty tough. You have probably met more forumites than anyone else, so if you have to miss one, I think everyone would understand.

Lisa, that sounds like a really tough situation for your sister and the timing couldn't be worse. I am sorry.

Lori, I would totally do the Regal Beagle just for the name. Three's Company!

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

Ginny congratulations on your upcoming retirement

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**

Lizziebeerunning

Cupcake Connoisseur

I just have to make it one more hour you guys. Its tough. Been busy today..but my stomach is a MESS. I think it was Run4kupcakes that said she got period issues with higher mileage? SAME. Every peak week I have had, I have been getting my period again. So..thats like 3x this month! And today...phew. My body must not like 57 miles in 4 days!!!

Thanks for all the suggestions on the time off! You guys helped me make my decision on taking 3 days next week Smile HCF is taking the entire week (he has 2 weeks of use it or lose it left) - so we will get to spend some time together. I am going to come in Weds and Thurs..so 2 long weekends in a row! Still sad I won't be beach bummin' it. I was kinda hoping I would be TAN for our engagement pictures in October Sad

I have to head to the grocery store after work. UGH. I dont want to. I need to get stuff for SPAGHETTI! Thats right Sandy. SPAAGGHHHEETTTTIIII with garlic bread. I should actually do a big trip since my brother is coming for the weekend. But I dont feel like it. It will be quick so I can get home to a nap!

OH, I meant to say earlier that the 4 to a room…isn’t a go for me either. That is a lot of extroverting that Liz can’t handle. LOL. If some of you want to grab the price for the hotel rooms, I can do airbnb NO PROBLEM. I think Sandy and I are good rooming together. We have the same gramma bedtime Smile

Susan –  Yay! Glad you had a good run!

Judy – I am very jealous of your temps. Sounds like you are loving them, too!

Diane – Oh wow, you are busy! Hang in there. That is REALLY annoying about the treadmill. Doesn't make any sense!! Most go off after an hour I thought.

Lori – Hope you have good workouts today Smile Lots of race options for you to choose from!

Cathy – Nice run this morning! You really have never done a long run in the dark? I think its fun Smile Well, to be honest..at first I am always scared. But after the first mile its fine haha. You’ll do great – I am sure your temperatures are HEAVENLY. OOOOOO fancy garbage disposal Smile You have never had a bathroom emergency while running!? I am so jealous. Haha. I am so used to it now that the woods is my friend. LOL. Oh, HCF snores LOUD too. Most of the time I go into the guestroom. When we were booking Hawaii for our honeymoon, we had to make sure it was 2 bedroom Smile

Docket – Your badass status remains intact Smile

Ginny – CONGRATULATIONS GINNY!!! So happy for you! I am laughing at your suggestion to Sandy about the popcorn. LOL.

Kathryn – I am laughing. Awesome that you have your co-worker tackling the lawn Smile Send him this way! That isn’t a bad deal for the room! I have NO IDEA how I lost the bite valve! It had been falling off when I would put it in the slouch thing on the backpack..but I thought I had put it back on pretty good. I guess not. I am LOVING the shirts!! You guys are so sweet. I am blushing. Wink

Karen – Nice 8 this morning. YAY for no poop in the house Smile  I personally think it would be so exciting to see your babies become adults! LOL. You are watching them grow into grown up runners! Plus, WOOHOO for Damaris’ 50th!

All this talk about retirement makes me want to. YEAH RIGHT. LOL. A friend of mine (the one who is running her first marathon this Fall) , just quit her corporate job and started working at a running studio and also Luluemon. I envy that. Wish I could financially do something like that. You know, a job I enjoy haha.

Anywho, have a good afternoon everyone!

October 4 - Milwaukee, WI - 26.2

November 14 - Richmond, VA - 26.2

March 21 - Virginia Beach, VA - 26.2

kats

WINE o'clock somewhere!

Lizzie, I am up for an AirBnB more than a hotel.  I looked at some in Toledo, not a ton close in for lots of people - that is sleeping one to a bed.

Kettle Moraine - June 2024

Beast of Burden - August 2024

Hennepin Hundred - Oct 2024

Javelina Jundred - Oct 2024

Half Crazy K 2.0

Lizzie, it was me that gets period issues with more miles, but not to the extent you are! Mine get closer together by about 2-4 days and I get awful PMS for about 2 weeks, which is really fun when the whole cycle is like 24 days. According to Dr. Google, a lot of the stuff I dealt with may be related to high cortisol levels. Since the issues go away when I keep the running to about 7 hours per week, I figure Dr. Google's diagnosis is good enough.

Docket_Rocket

Liz, yay, take the time off and enjoy it with HCF.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

kats

WINE o'clock somewhere!

OK Sandy, you are the one who is responsible I believe for Goliath.  I signed up for a free trial Amazon Prime membership and am 3 episodes in and hooked...  THANKS!  I like it.

K

Kettle Moraine - June 2024

Beast of Burden - August 2024

Hennepin Hundred - Oct 2024

Javelina Jundred - Oct 2024

Seloc

OK Sandy, you are the one who is responsible I believe for Goliath.  I signed up for a free trial Amazon Prime membership and am 3 episodes in and hooked...  THANKS!  I like it.

K

Yay!! But kudos also go to Karen and Lizzie, I think?  I heard abt it from here I believe.

To be honest I did not wallow all day but work was a nightmare!  Was super grateful for almost always bringing my lunch because today I ate during a CC. In which I presented haha. Otherwise the hanger woulda set in!!  Thanks for all the kind words. Always disappointing to fail at a run but there have been plenty in the past and no doubt plenty more. Nothing like beer and popcorn (Ginny!!) for dinner to solve all world problems.

Hello hello to all. Stay safe to those in Carol Brady’s path. So happy tomorrow is Friyay!!

Half Crazy K 2.0

30 minutes on the treadmill after picking up race crap. No parking at the running store cause they had a group run, so had to park in the neighborhood, which really doesn't have good parking. Got my stuff fine, no line for that. Based on the pictures, shirt appeared to be neon green--liked it cause it's bright. In reality, it's a lighter heathered lime green. Fine. It's a LS quarter zip. I got a women's medium. It's tight and the sleeves are beyond short--it has thumb holes and they are above my wrist. And then when I went to zip it up, the entire pulley on the zipper came off. I sent the race company an e-mail to see if I can exchange it Saturday. So kinda annoyed. Race was on the pricey side for this area and to get a no-name defective, poor fitting premium is really sucky. I'd rather races give out a cotton tee or long sleeve instead of cheap ass tech stuff.

Seloc, long runs in humid conditions on hills are killer. I've heard there's benefit for anything over 90 minutes, so you definitely got something from it.

Ginny, congrats on the retirement!

Gym this morning for elliptical, bike and upper body weights. After work did yoga. Heading out to Memphis to visit with DC's family this weekend after work on Friday.

Last night within 15 minutes of my sister and her son leaving the hospital they got the call that niece had passed. Now there is peace and removal of angst about not being there and clearly niece finally was able to let go herself. As kids we were pretty close so it's still a shock. She went off the grid for years because of alcohol and drugs, came back when she almost died from flesh eating disease and struggled for over 10 years with sobriety/addiction. Life isn't meant to be that difficult but sometimes that is the path which is chosen and it's hard to get off of it. It's good to know that she doesn't have to fight the battle anymore, she's now at ease and enjoying the comfort she didn't have in this place. Thanks all. My sis said that the hurricane is actually a distraction giving them something to do. Probably an understatement there in Wilmington.

On Kettle 100 it's kind of weird, very little info on site unless you look at the 2017 race bulletin. the 100 has a 30 hour time limit. It's two out/back legs. you can have a pacer from 63.2 or after 6:30pm. There is a 38 mile "fun run." that is kind of neat. There is a staggered start and if you are pacing a 100 miler, you wait for them to come through and then go out.

There is a 100k with an 18 hour time limit. There is a 50k with 11-11:30 time limit.  Page 20 has the elevation profile. Nothing over 150' for climbs. 8800' total gain/loss for 100 miles.

Fairfield Inn-I'm okay with sharing a room with up to 3 others. I don't have to though but I am that cheap and I love you all. 

Karen-I listened to another woman 100 mile runner who talked about counting everything towards time on her feet.  Consciously choosing to walk more, to run to errands, to park further away. She also did many multiple run days to get mileage up. Awesome puppy runs today!

Sandy-Hope you are done wallowing by now. LOL it happens...long run fails that is.

Diane-you are a traveling woman!

Lori-I'll let you know what races I come up with too. I think Katie talked about Fuzzy Fandango. I'll see what I find out there too.

Liz-I'd probably work some of the days and save the time for other stuff.

Cathy- would be the 100 but that is also the weekend of Laurel Highlands so there is a decision to make.

Ginny-woohoo!

Kat-I never heard you snoring in Hell. Just saying.

HCK2-Ugh on the shirt. hope you can exchange!

Lisa