Womens Running

Anyone ever run a race while preggo? (Read 31 times)

mandytheartist

My big races are in:

April

August

October

So I'm trying to figure out how to time a future pregnancy, so I'm not too pregnant on race day.

CARunningGirl

Bad Ass Mother Runner

Yep.  I was TTC for 5-6  mos and did a race a month while trying, PR'ed a 10k, then a half, and then a 5k when I was 3.5 weeks preggo.  Then while pregnant I ran a half at 21 weeks or so and a 10k at 36.5 weeks.  There are no guarantees with getting pregnant, so I chose to just live my life and adjust if/when I got pregnant.

5k - 22:56        10k - 46:13          HM - 1:45:39          FM - 4:04:20

Blog: http://terryruns.wordpress.com/

mandytheartist

Rock it CARG!  I plan to race preggers, just not gonna go for PRs.

CARunningGirl

Bad Ass Mother Runner

The only race I PR'ed while pregnant was the 5k, and I didn't even know it at the time!  I would totally not try to PR while pregnant, but racing is still super fun, and it's fun to see the looks you get when you pass people Smile

5k - 22:56        10k - 46:13          HM - 1:45:39          FM - 4:04:20

Blog: http://terryruns.wordpress.com/

Zorbs

beskirted & manicured

I ran a 5K, 10K, 30K, and marathon while pregnant.

The 5K was at 39 weeks and 3 days.

5K - 24:10 | 8K - 40:41  | 10K - 51:40.6 | HM - 1:51:10 | 30K - 2:44:54 | Marathon - 4:10:28

schmetterling

I'm small peanuts compared to other runners here, but I've run 3 real 5ks and participated in one non-timed 5k length fun run. I'm 21 weeks now.

Mannluna

While TTC I ran a 10 miler and HM trail races and did not scale back my pace or effort.  After becoming PG I ran a half marathon at 10weeks, a 10k  at 16weeks, and a marathon realy leg at 18weeks and a 5k at 20weeks.  I gave them all a good effort but wasnt trying to PR.  I ran comfortably up until 23 weeks then I had too many walk breaks and it was not longer enjoyable.

Best advice listen to your body and dont over do it.

Mannluna

While TTC I ran a 10 miler and HM trail races and did not scale back my pace or effort.  After becoming PG I ran a half marathon at 10weeks, a 10k  at 16weeks, and a marathon realy leg at 18weeks and a 5k at 20weeks.  I gave them all a good effort but wasnt trying to PR.  I ran comfortably up until 23 weeks then I had too many walk breaks and it was not longer enjoyable.

Best advice listen to your body and dont over do it.

MA runner girl

I raced a 5k when I was 4 weeks pregnant, but didn't know. I was about a min off my PR, so when I was SUPER tired the next day after running my usual 12 miler I decided to POAS Smile I ran another 5k at about half marathon pace at 8 weeks. I was trying to keep it a secret from friends, so I pushed it enough not to raise any eyebrows.

After that I ran the following, all at my usual easy pace or slower:

13 weeks - Half Marathon

17 weeks - 6 miles of a marathon relay

20 weeks - 10K

23 weeks - 5 mile

I'm still running up to 3 miles now at 34 weeks, and if it wasn't winter with very few races around, I'd probably still run a few 5ks. I'm due at the end of March so I may fit in a 5k if I'm still pregnant.

I was actually training for the Chicago marathon when I got pregnant. I was still 12 weeks from race day when I found out so I decided not to run it. I may have tried if it was closer and I had gotten more long runs in, but with the heat of the summer and first tri fatigue/nausea I just couldn't put the training in.

We weren't trying to get pregnant, but I agree with CA. You never know how long it's going to take so I probably wouldn't try planning my life/races around when I thought I might get pregnant.

PRs: 5k - 22:29, half marathon - 1:47:39

Laura G in Idaho

Just ran a 5k on Saturday.  I'm 29 weeks pregnant.  My pace was 12:15/mi, so no chance of any PRs for that race, but that wasn't the purpose of that race for me.  It was fun, and having a race on the calendar helps me to keep training.  I loved all the encouragement and cheers, even from strangers.  Races give me a boost to keep going.

I did a 5k at 9 weeks along, and made a PR for that race.

Did a 5k at 23 weeks along, too, but had slowed down significantly by that point.

I have another 5k on the calendar for 34 weeks, and I plan on walking some of that race.  I also have a sprint triathlon planned for 37 weeks, but I'm not sure how ambitious I'll be at that point.

No longer-distance races, because I was coming off an injury when I got pregnant, so I didn't have time to rebuild.  At least I'm keeping up with my 5ks!  Good luck to you!

monk717

I'm almost 38 weeks with #2. I ran 2 5Ks very early in my pregnancy, one before I knew and one just after I found out. I almost broke my PR in both those races (one I missed by less than a minute!). I didn't run another race until my half marathon at 20 weeks. I didn't want to race and I wasn't running well enough in the first trimester to race. But as I got a bit further along, I still needed a race to train for to keep my motivation. I was amazed at how awesome I felt for about two-thirds of my half and the last two or three miles were terrible. But it was an awesome experience and I'm glad I did it. My running ability went downhill pretty quick after my half and I stopped 30 weeks because my pelvis was very painful. Now unfortunately I'm almost to the point of stopping the exercise all together. But I know the running I did will help me with recovery and getting back out there again!

SassySparky

I ran a half marathon at 13 weeks, an 8k at 15 weeks, and a 5k at 20ish weeks.  I ran until my due date, but after about 20 weeks I had lots of walking breaks and pit stops (bladder pressure!) and had to carry water.

I'll be running my first full, the Richmond Marathon on November 16, 2013!

Laura G in Idaho

Just wanted to follow up.  I did, indeed, complete that sprint tri today, at 37 weeks pregnant.  I was slow, but I finished the race!  I feel great, and now have bragging rights forever!  Wink

mandytheartist

You certainly do Laura!  Big grin Congrats.