Womens Running

Busy Tuesdailies (Read 23 times)

ginnyb

I am fine running in the cold once I get out there, it's the getting out there when it is cold that is the issue for me.

Still no run, nothing today actually, but I'm still fine with it.

Judy...I like the looks of that jacket, I need a rain jacket too.  I think I will ask for this for Christmas, my DD always is asking what I want.  How is it size wise?  I never know anymore if I am a small or medium.

Lizzie...taper niggles are the worst.  You will be fine.  Sorry you are feeling like a dog sitter today.

HH...retirement for you too?  Yay!!!

Elina...dumb question I guess, what is LIDL?

Tessa...add me to the list of people who cannot read on a TM.  I do listen to books though on TM.

LC...you and I are the queens of the 3 mile run, when I am running that is.

as for the purging, after I did the running shirts, I did my sock drawer!  How can one end up with so many mis-matched pairs of socks?  The dryer really does eat them.

Kat...Yay for the run!  I hope I follow soon.

Hi Damaris and Sue

Ginny

http://ginnybess.blogspot.com/

6/8 Hatfield/McCoy Half, 8/18 lake Erie Shores and Islands Half, 9/21 Mighty Niagara Half Lewiston, NY, 10/7 Cleveland Rock & Roll Half 10/6 or Detroit Free Press 10/20, A Christmas Story 5 or 10K Cleveland 12/7, Santa Hustle Half Cedar Point 12/15

Anonymous Guest

Good morning! Quick check-in from the parents' house. Got in yesterday morning and drove to my sister's house, then we met my SIL at the restaurant yesterday afternoon and decorated. We had probably 40 people total and it was definitely a surprise. My mom said she thought dad was getting suspicious (probably because my sister was calling all the time asking if dad was feeling better) so she told him that my sister invited a couple people from church to have dinner with them and her and my brother & family, since it was a big birthday it might be fun to have a couple people there. Nobody knew Mom did that, but when the church people got there they just happened to sit down at a table near the front, while all the golf friends and the family were hanging out by the bar to the back. So Mom and Dad got there, Dad didn't even notice the "private event" sign on the door, saw the church friends right away and went over to talk to them, didn't notice all the decorations. People in the back started singing happy birthday, but my dad is hard of hearing so didn't even hear it! So they stopped singing and we waited a minute, then he looked up and saw everybody and you could see the shock and surprise on his face. Big smile, people started singing again, then my aunt pushed me forward a little and he saw me and started crying. So I started crying and he give me a big hug, then he saw my nephew (that lives in St. Louis) and cried harder and hugged him, then he saw my aunt and I think at this point we were all crying. He was so surprised and so happy - well worth the flight home.

Trying to get up some energy to go run a few miles this morning. My mom is getting a haircut and my dad went into work for a little bit (I know, he's 80, he can stop doing that anytime!). It's in the 30s here, so running should be awesome, but I'm being a wimp because it's cold.

Elina, you asked yesterday how much we were out of third place - 4 minutes 45 seconds. So yes, if I had gone out at a nice leisurely 2 hour half pace, which wouldn't have been much faster than easy pace, and then picked it up just a little bit, we'd have gotten third. Lesson learned, just hope I can remember it. I posted on my running group's page that I coach about it with the moral being "do as I say, not as I do" and their responses were so sweet.

Liz, yeah, I'd do capris in that weather too. I'd probably do a singlet and arm warmers with a throwaway jacket (I've even used old winter coats as throwaways if I have to be out for a long time ahead of the race). But like Kupcakes said, if you haven't worn them in the past, don't do arm warmers for the first time during the race! I second the dollar store glove idea. I think my Kroger's had "holiday gloves" for $1.25, and Target usually has them for $2 or less. My hands usually warm up quickly once I start running so unless it's really windy I just toss them once I'm warm. If it's windy I'll stuff them in the back waistband of my pants in case I need them later.

Okay, if I'm going to run a few I should do it before my mom gets back home, so off I go. I did break my 62-day streak yesterday - I know I won't run when we drive to Florida for Thanksgiving anyway, plus I don't think a streak is the healthiest thing for my addictive personality, so might as well break it before I get too invested in it.

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

Arimathea

Tessa

Not a good morning.

We picked up four kittens on Friday afternoon. Poinsettia, Petunia, Ponderosa, and Pinecone. They were listed as 5 week olds but no way were they that age, I think they were barely four. Two of them couldn't even lap food properly. One (Ponderosa) figured out lapping on Saturday, but the other (Petunia) never had an appetite. We syringe fed her formula and watered down kitten food. She didn't want to eat. She was playing and she used the box but Sunday she started shivering, heating pad was brought out, she huddled on that most of the day. Still did not want to eat at all. DD took her down to the clinic yesterday and they didn't think she was dehydrated, gave us an oral antifungal medication (not sure why) and told us to keep syringe feeding. She got more lethargic and could barely swallow, and she died early this morning.

The other three are healthy, happy, and hungry. (Not that they are wanting for food. They get plenty.)

I hate fading kitten syndrome.

Have not read through today's posts, will try to get back for personals. 2.7 this morning.

dhuffman63

Trails

Oh Tessa I'm so sorry about the kitten.  I worry that Jasmine may have that altho she eats and drinks but she is still so thin and has not had a solid poop yet.  She's at the vet today to see if they can find out why.

RTurtles

Running with the Turtles

If you think it's hard to get up early to run, try getting up early to use an elliptical.    But I did it!  I was up at 5:15 to use the elliptical.  Got a good 35 minutes in, no foot pain.  Older DD was fine with her new braces, the tough thing is the MARA appliance that she also had installed.  It causes her bottom jaw to move forward when she chews to correct her overbite.  They showed me a YouTube video of how it worked and my thought was "Wow, that would feel really weird".  They said that it would take a couple weeks for her to get used to it.  She hardly ate any food last night or this morning.  We are planning to take younger DD out to dinner for her 10th birthday tonight.  She is having a sleepover party this weekend.

Elina, they are building an IKEA near me now.  There is one in Illinois, my brother helped build it (he is a civil engineer).  People from Wisconsin would drive down to go to IKEA.  I have not heard of LIDL.  The marathon relay sounds like fun!  I did that indoor marathon relay, which is an entirely different thing.    They are planning a new 24 hour run here, you run in teams and the course is a 6 mile loop.  It sounds like it will be on a trail so the teams can set up camps.

Laura, any kind of running sounds really good to me.  3 mile on TM, awesome!  

Lizzie, 25 is pretty cold.  I think that was about the temps when I ran Grand Rapids.  It was about 30 at the race start.  But it was sunny and not windy.  I wore a lightweight vest, short sleeve shirt and arm warmers.  Shorts and knee socks.  I had gloves and ear warmers but took them off during the race.  Unzipped the vest.    Never took off the arm warmers.  I probably would have been fine with a long sleeve shirt.  I had a throwaway sweatshirt that I handed to DH before the race started.  I have actually never worn capris for a race!  I have the Champion capris from Target and they stay up.  And I don't have any hips.    Aww, sorry that HCBF can't come home tomorrow.

Sandy, haha, I figured you would probably not run after work.  I would do the same thing.    But great job getting out there this morning!

Diane, Jasmine is a cutie!  I hope all is well!  The foot scraping is pretty much what it sounds like.    My massage therapist uses a metal too (rounded) and scrapes around the bottom off my feet.  It makes a crunchy sound!  It's supposed to break up scar tissue and adhesions that form.  It's about as pleasant as it sounds.  But my feet feel really good afterwards!  My nose runs all the time when I run, regardless of the season.  I have a band that I wrap around my wrist, I can use it for sweat or snot.    I bring tissues if I remember in the winter.

Damaris, enjoy the Pilates and 8!

Kat, congrats on the run.  

Karen, sounds like a great surprise for your dad!  That is awesome.

Tessa, sorry about Petunia.

HH-Kathy, you are retiring soon?  Sorry if you mentioned it before and I missed it.  

Cathy

dhuffman63

Trails

Cathy that's what my massage person does if I ask.  It hurts but feels better later.  Glad the elliptical didn't cause foot pain.  I keep tissues in my hydration pack and yes in all weathers my nose runs but cold is worse.

Seloc

I just signed up to track Lizzie, too!  Thanks for the reminder, Kat!

Ginny – OMG same!  I’m fine running in the cold – it’s the getting out there that is hard.  Especially this time of year for me.  Happens every year.  Need to get used to the dark AND cold.  In Jan, this will feel like a heat wave!  Hooray for purging!

Kat – hey, high five mileage twin!!  Look at you being all adult and prioritizing with trips and races.  Why can’t we just do it all?!

Diane – sounds like you need to learn how to farmer blow!!  Hee hee

Elina – ah, girl, love your direct honesty LOL  Thank you for remaining silent re: me not running after work haha.  That must have been the most productive 60min meeting ever in the history of work!  Sorry your to-do list got longer but it’s nice to have productive conversations.

Damaris – have a good 8!

Sue – not only do you run with Crazy Jeffrey but, now it’s Crazy bosslady!  Good grief.

Karen – awwwwww, you had my eyes starting to tear up with the surprise story.  That is SO SWEET!  LOL on being a wimp in the 30* weather – I can relate!

Tessa – oh I’m so sorry about Petunia.  Sounds like you did everything you could.  Poor little nugget.

Cathy – oh wow, you are pretty darn awesome to get up to elliptical!  That machine may very well be worse than the dreadmill LOL.  Oh, man, poor DD on the mouth stuff!  Where’s dinner tonight?  Is she the one who likes Mexican?  And oh boy on a bunch of 10 year olds for a sleep over.  MOTY!!

Oh boy, boss must be feeling insecure as he is playing his games of asking me to do things and copying the world.  Most of which has already been done and the others extremely trivial (he changes his mind and asks me to update a spreadsheet).  Pretty sure the big issue I handled last week triggered his insecurity and this is always his reaction.  Things had been going so well, too!  Sigh.

Lizziebeerunning

Cupcake Connoisseur

Blah. Rainy yucky day. I would rather be on my couch watching Netflix.

I smacked myself around a little and apologized to HCBF. I was not very nice this weekend and yesterday. Not that I wasn't nice but I was being real nit-picky over stupid pointless things. I think it was a combination of TAPER madness and just starting to feel some resentment towards him because of his work situation. I told him that today though when I apologized - I am showing the resentment by being a b*tch basically. I don't mean too! That is just the way it is coming off. He feels bad but he shouldn't. I am working on talking about my FEELINGS so they do not fester. Its hard! Relationshipping is hard.

Sandy – I actually thought of you last night when I was walking the dog! I was like, I wonder if Sandy made it out there! I hope she has a flashlight because its dark! Hehe. Oh man, that stinks about missing the girls this morning. At least you got in some mileage! I am sure you didn’t lose fitness in 3 days silly. A couple days off can make the first run back kinda funky though. HOLY CRAP. You really are setting a sleep PR. LOL. I actually wear mismatching gloves…I have worn them since my very first race. Kind of a good luck charm. They aren’t made for running either – just some random gloves I have had. I hate white potato but LOVEEEEE sweet potatoes, too! I used to eat one every night..I cut that out about a month ago and notice my waist line slimming. LOL. So, you did try the tots?! They are light! Not as heavy as potato. Okay, I feel better about switching. I probably will go with long sleeve. I have a feeling I will wear the gloves the entire time. Ruger is still a little bit of the sniffles, thanks for asking Smile He is eating normal and being hyper like usual..so he must not feel too bad. YES! That is it. I feel guilty about leaving him in there! I put myself in his shoes…plus it irritates me a little that HCBF won’t make the extra effort to be there. He did put in effort to be home yesterday so I guess I should stop whining. Haha. I just want him home all the time! You were an ON capri girl too!? UGH. They sell the capris..but the material is different. I tried to buy some last Spring and the material was real thick and heavy and the ran REALLY small. I have not tried recently..so maybe they changed back. I know they received a lot of complaints. Good luck on the self assessment..I have one coming up soon, too. I HATE THEM.

We are all going to have matching jackets!! Smile

Diane – Do you know that Richmond has the most grocery stores per capita in the US? We have so many freakin grocery stores. I don’t know why! Awe I hope Jasmine is okay! We are having the exact same weather here today. I think we are getting it the next 3 days actually. GOOD it needs to get it out of its system before this weekend. LUCKY YOU with your boss being gone!

Kilmisters – LOL I don’t know what form of taper this is but I like it! Hahaha. I am using the exact same plan I did for the last marathon. I am just doing what im told Smile Glad the meeting went well! Ew on all the things added to the to do list. Like you don’t already have enough to do! Oh and yes, cold weather running is the best.

Docket – Ugh, good luck getting through the day! Enjoy the 8!

Susan – Sorry about your work day Sad Three day weekend and wedding planning! WOOHOO!

Kathryn – Awe..you’re sweet! I think you could get around downloaded the app. There should be text alerts in there..I need to look into that when I get home. I tried to here but of course everything is BLOCKED. Yay on the 3 miles!!!! I am excited about your Fall trip!

Ginny – I am the same way with the cold. I lovveee it but I hate it when I first get out there. Totally agree about the socks!

Karen – Oh Karen your story made ME cry!!! LOL. That is so sweet. Awwwwww. I am sure just seeing everyone was all he could have ever wanted for his birthday Smile Enjoy your nice COLD run!! Hmm I may check out the holiday gloves idea. I worry I may want them later. Smart move on your streak – this is coming from someone who also has an addictive personality. Smile I think you needed some rest anyway! Smile

Tessa – Oh Tessa,  I am sorry about Petunia. Sad

Cathy – Way to go on getting up for the elliptical!! I bet that is hard. Haha. I guess it helps burn up some extra energy. Poor DD..I guess she will get used to it but blah. Poor thing. Happy Birthday to younger DD!! Where did she want to eat for her birthday??? Sigh. I wish I didn’t have hips. LOL. You are badass for wearing shorts though in that kind of cold! I can’t do it. I wore capris the past two years for the Richmond Marathon and I was fine (it wasn’t this cold). The first year I did overdress..so may go with a light long sleeve or short sleeve. UGH I DON’T KNOW. I cringed when I read about the crunchy sound. Yikes. I am happy that you didn’t have foot pain on the elliptical though!!

Sandy2 – Awe, you’re sweet for following me, too! Oh boy now I am feeling some pressure to perform haha. UGH on your boss! My boss does that but I knew he was an @$$hole a while ago haha. Sorry you are dealing with that! I was thinking the same thing about Cathy’s DD’s slumber party. Oh man..I remember my slumber parties…phew. I feel bad for my parents.

Out of here soon and will be heading to body pump! Then I gotta pick up Ruger..hopefully he isn't a muddy mess Smile

October 4 - Milwaukee, WI - 26.2

November 14 - Richmond, VA - 26.2

March 21 - Virginia Beach, VA - 26.2

Docket_Rocket

Oh, no, Tessa.  I am so sorry! Sad

Karen, that sounds like a great party.  Glad you were able to go!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

judyruns

Mighty Mouse

Arimathea, I'm so sorry about the loss of the kitten. :::hugs::: for the others.

Where is the "any" key?   

judyruns

Kilmisters

Diane, wiping the nose on the cold runs can get annoying/gross but it is what it is. Certainly better than worrying about water management/thirst on hot summer days.

Kat, laughed out loud about ''stop the presses'' part... Welcome back, girl!

Ginny, totally, 90% of the struggle is getting out there in the cold. LIDL is a German retail chain that has a heavy discounter strategy and usually sets predatory pricing in any new market they enter. In Latvian market two leading players (one of which is us) have about 80% market share, and entrance of LIDL could (and will, the question is - to what extent) shake things up. Our Lithuanian (country to the south) colleagues already went thru that; they underestimated potential LIDL power and paid for it.

Lizzie, well, HCBF should know what taper madness is by now Smile Not that it's an excuse for the bit--iness (or is it!?). Nothing new on the HCBF job front? No intention to initiate changes? Like, none whatsoever?

Sandy, what about your boss' job security? Managers usually tend to imitate action/productivity if they suspect upper management might think his/he is expendable. Either the position as such or person. Direct honesty, yeah, no problem Big grin Add some sarcasm and casual cursing to that and it's no surprise why people sometimes stare at us if we're discussing stuff w boss w her office door open (hint: she's the same).

Tessa, that's so sad about the kitten... Hoping others are doing well.

Cathy, getting up early to use an elliptical sounds like the biggest ''uhm, what about no'' imaginable Big grin So, good job! Oh boy, a sleepover party? How many little, screaming girls are expected to arrive? Big grin That is interesting about your your brother helping to build IKEA! That chain is surely expanding rapidly. I mean, there has to be at least one Scandinavian success story, right (after Nokia screwed up)? Smile Indoor marathon relay? Is that running 400m laps on an indoor track until the team has gathered 42k? (Please, say no)

Tired. So tired. How on earth is it only Tuesday eve? Feels like it should be Friday already. No NHL watching tonight, that's for sure. Unless K decides to wake up at face-off time again Smile

''What will happen if I run up the hills? Ah, volcano muscle soreness!!'' (c) Margaret

''Who needs quads anyway!?'' (c) Damaris

Half Crazy K 2.0

40 minutes on the treadmill. It's cold, rainy and dark out. Not running outside in that.

I've gotten ok with running in the cold. It's better than staring at the wall on the treadmill. Oh, and I am super unfeminine--I don't bother with tissue, I just blow snot rockets.

Arimathea, sorry about the kittie.

AnonymousGuest, sounds like a great party for your dad.

Kilmisters, we're getting a Lidl distribution center about 30 minutes north of me, so I assume once that is built, we'll get stores. There's an Ikea close by, I never go. It's overwhelminig.

HuronHeart

3 miles after work for me.  Paid bills and caught up on laundry tonight, I really need to find time to get some groceries tomorrow. The days never seem long enough.

I am planning to retire at the end of the year. I am a contract employee and this is when my contract expires.  We shall see if the Board will get a replacement hired by year end.

Kilmister, what type of retailer do you work for?  I have not heard of LIDL, thanks for explanation. The Helsinki marathon relay sounds like a fun option.

LC, I like 3 mile runs because they take the perfect amount of time during the work week.

Lizzie, nice 6.3. I wear capris from Athleta, pricey even on sale but I like the weight and stretch of the material and the pockets on the side of the legs. Pockets are a big selling point for me.  Sorry HCBF can’t come home and help out with dog care duties.

Judy, I really like the looks of your jacket.

Seloc, a crappy 3 is better than no 3.  I really need to look for these cauliflower tator tots.

CrazySue, exciting on meeting with wedding planner.

Kats, glad your 3 felt good!

Ginny, I feel the same on running in the cold, once I start I am fine, getting out the door is the hard part.  I hate being cold.

Karen, so happy for your Dad, So worth it when he was so touched.

Arimathea, I am so so sorry. Poor Petunia.

RTurtles, good job on elliptical.  I can’t envision how DD’s appliance works. Is it painful or just sort of weird feeling?

HC, way to tough our 40 min on TM.

Hello to everyone I missed!

Kathy