Womens Running

Speedwork Wednesdailies (Read 19 times)

Anonymous Guest

What do you do when you haven't posted in a few days? Post and run, of course! Weather is gorgeous here and should be in the low to mid 40s for my Turkey Trot tomorrow. I ran 5 this morning, a little faster than intended, but it just felt so good out there.

Tessa, loved the race report. I'm impressed enough that you did the race, but 4-hour drive, 12-hour race, 4-hour drive, with some time in between each - geez, I don't think I can even stay away that long in one stretch without racing!

Liz, laughing over Ruger's time out yesterday. Our daycare is closed all week - they close for daycare around the major holidays because they are so busy with all the dogs boarding. Glad they are taking your complaint seriously and moving quickly on it.

Sandy, good luck on your race tomorrow.

Damaris, if any doubt at all, choose the easier option, easier pace, extra rest day this week. Since you're going on the most unconventional taper ever (who races a 10K the weekend before a marathon? what kind of coach thinks that's a good idea?), rest those legs. For the record, you're about the only person I'd give the okay to race last weekend.

Cathy, love DD's excellent racing and chicking the boy. How awesome is that. I still remember a 5K I raced in Ohio put on by a high school. I caught up to this high school kid, we went back and forth a bit, then finally he looked over, nodded, gave me a fist bump, and let up. I went on to win overall female, but I think I enjoyed not only chicking, but mom-ing that kid more than the win. Yes, young high school boy, I AM old enough to be your mother.

The schools down here are all closed all week. Seems weird, but I think it also helps places like the grocery store get less overwhelmed last weekend and this week. I had to pick up a few things yesterday late afternoon after I picked up my packet for tomorrow, and it wasn't very busy and there were no lines.

Okay, hi to those I missed!

karen

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

Kilmisters

Lizzie, what's wrong w downpour runs? Smile Unless it's a very long run, of course. I remember a 17k LR, during which it started to pour, then stopped, then again, then stopped... FOUR TIMES. Oh wow, Ruger.... Speaking in hockey terms, 2min penalty for unsportsmanlike... or is it... unsportsdoglike behavior? Big grin Imho, 4 days of running is ok if there's not a LR or speedwork involved, just easy runs. You know, if it means no getting up at 3:30am... DO IT Big grin Hoping the HR issue gets address properly!

Damaris, finance/accounting/math background? Woohoo, Transatlantic high-five! I actually finished Higher Math module in university, but, you know, after years of not using that stuff lots is forgotten already.

Sandy, the energy comes in waves, it's all about getting a lot of stuff done during the peak Smile Non-alco beer while tackling Excels is just playing things safe - there are cases when extra beer actually helps; I'll never forgot the moment half a year ago when I found a mistake (that I couldn't find WHOLE DAY) in a long formula after drinking 4.5 bottles of dark beers and already being in ''whaaaaat do we have here, what would this thingy do'' mode Big grin But for every such case there is one where you just lose all the analytical productivity in an instant Smile W meeting today at 1pm I didn't take chances. Ugh, take care... Lots of tea w honey and ginger!! Very smart to skip that 3mi run, especially w the trot coming tomorrow Smile

HCK-2, nice speedwork!

Cathy, lucky you, short day Smile Dec31 5k? It would be so cool if that was a midnight (or near midnight at least) run, but I bet it isn't. Smiling about DD counting the PR despite what most probably was a short course. On the other hand, it makes improving the PR more challenging Smile

The meeting went reallllly well! It was worth staying up late last night. 3 out of 3 calculations accepted, I'd call it a success. To do list cleared by 80%.It feels amazing to share sarcasm/dark humor/cynicism/straightforwardness w boss; I bet it would be funny to record those one-on-one meetings. Most probably there will come a situation when this overly friendly connection w her will bite us in our bottoms somehow, but oh well.

30 degrees, w ''real feel'' at 20 this eve, 7.5mi easy run. As soon as I got out it was... uuuuhm, NOPE for any speedwork. It hasn't been that cold this winter yet (I know right!?), so I didn't want to risk letting all that freezing air in my lungs during intervals. Plus, a friend of mine called as I got out of the door; we chatted for 30mins, and after that any mood for speedwork was lost and I just wanted to get my planned miles in.  

''What will happen if I run up the hills? Ah, volcano muscle soreness!!'' (c) Margaret

''Who needs quads anyway!?'' (c) Damaris

Happy Wednesday ladies!

I'm back in northern AZ home.  The visit/run with RB from MN went so quickly.  I just hated to see her go.  She loved her time here and looking forward to running future races in the southwest.  She flew in/out of Albq NM, her first visit to New Mexico.  We spent Wed and Thurs in Albq and Santa Fe, NM. On Friday, we drove to Monument Valley, UT for race bib pickup.  Drove back to work house which is about 30 miles south.  Another running friend and her DD also stayed the wkend at my home.  She ran the HM trail, and RB and I ran the trail marathon on Saturday.  Gorgeous day, pretty chilly in the morning (around 25 degrees) but race start time was at 10am (warmed up to about 40 by then) for that reason. IIt was in the 50s for the race, NICE!!  Because of the 'late' race start time, It allowed us to drive about 10 miles north to take photos of the area where the movie, Forrest Gump, shows him stopping, with Monument Valley in the background.  RB was just elated!! We got back to the race and ate some more.  So Mile 1 & 2 goes down and winding which means we have to finish going up, OMG!!  Then its hard-packed dirt road which we share with the HM runners.  We leave them before 6 miles and start onto a huge 'loop.'  It becomes VERY SANDY with occasional short portions of rock and hard-packed dirt but after mile 8 till mile 14, it is DEEP RED SOFT SAND, and endless!! Even the hills are crazy SANDY!!  My poor ankle and right knee complained the whole time but I kept counting to 60 and starting over, taking about 30 sec to 1 minute walk break about every 2 miles.  Most of us walked the sandy hills.  Just breathtaking views so I did take photos and videos. I saw and briefly talked with RB when I was starting mile 12 and she was finished mile 13. The LONG SANDY hill was worth it though at mile 12.5!!  I was at mile 13 at 3 hrs in.   Not bad, and then we have to run the first loop of the hard-packed dirt road which is the HM runners' course.  I was doing okay but ankle starting swelling up, and right knee begin to ache. 4 runners passed me and asked what was wrong since I slowed down alot.  I could kill for some Advil by mile 18.   I walked most of mile 18 and mile 19.  But a couple gave me some Aleve which worked for about 3 miles.  It got cold especially in the shadows of the buttes and plateaus.  I'm amazed I jogged most of the second loop when I finally reached the road towards the finish.  Only 3 miles to go. The last mile is all UPHILL.  My inner thighs and left calf are beginning to cramp so I spend a few seconds massaging them every few minutes.  Made it to the top and finished upright, took me 6 hours though!! At this point, I really didn't care, I was so relieved.  Came in 4th out of 5 female runners in AG.  This was challenging but I know I could have done better if I was healthy .......but I'm so glad I did it and finished.  RB came in 2nd in her AG and got a huge beautiful pottery vase (I knew she would), and if we are correct, she also came in 3rd OV in female for the trail marathon.  But prize is only for first OV.   My other running friend came in 2nd in the half marathon and got a pottery vase too.  They felt bad for me but I'm so happy for them both!! When I ran it two yrs ago, I got 1st AG and do have a pottery vase anyway.

Taking some time off to let ankle and knee heal.  Ankle was pretty swollen and bruised post-race but I've been icing it each day.  Can walk  on it though. Will get in a run this weekend I hope.  No special plans for the weekend but might visit DD and GDs in Phoenix on a one day drive down.  Safe travels to each of you who will be traveling.

Arimathea

Tessa

Replying to the first page. No speedwork here today -- I ran to the grocery store (3 miles), bought the few items I still needed, and ran/walked home. I wanted a little pork roast for someone who doesn't like turkey at all. The smallest they had was 5 lbs. I had in mind a 1.5 pound tenderloin but the place I know sells those is Costco and I am not going anywhere near that today.

Elina, have fun with your 12k. And your spreadsheet does not sound like fun to me but I am not an Excel geek. It's like cars. I use it, I appreciate it, but I know I don't know a lot of the details and that's just fine with me.

Damaris, Bugsy is a lucky cat!

Liz, glad there has been quick action on the vendor. Right now the issue is so high profile that I think there will be little time wasted removing this vendor from your building. Which is good -- maybe next time he won't try to hit on an employee of a customer! He needs to learn that "no thank you" means just that, it doesn't mean "keep trying".

For PF I stretch my feet before I get out of bed in the morning so I'm not stepping on unstretched feet.

Diane, first time DGD has seen the ocean? She will get used to it. Especially if she goes again in the summer and the water is comfortable.

Judy, you have all your holiday shopping done? How industrious. I definitely can't say that.

Cathy, I think most of us have heard the wails of outrage as someone gets chicked during a race. Hah. So half day today and then off until Monday? Good deal.

It's amazing how many women have lost babies and how so few people talk about it. I'm sorry.

Sandy, since Kat said they don't usually do lime sulfur baths any more and the stuff is smelly, expensive, and will be painful for both us and the cats, I think we are going to skip it. They have oral and topical meds and that should do it. We do need to clean the house thoroughly but that won't hurt us.

And yes the cookies helped quite a bit. The budget is ugly and some people are extremely concerned about one area or another. However, most people are in a much better frame of mind when they are passed a plate of cookies still warm from the oven with lots of melty chocolate chips poking out of them, especially when they did not expect to have cookies.

Glad your ocular migraine went away.

Laura, nice 3, sometimes that's all we can do. And you're right, there can be women doing the harassing but I would say the odds are very high that most harassing, whether of men or of women, is done by men. Not just sexual. When was the last time you heard of a sorority pledge dying in a hazing ritual?

Kat, what kind of dessert? Hope you have all the ingredients and just need to assemble. (Psst. Shortbread has only 3 ingredients: butter, sugar, and flour.)

$80 for a 10K? Oh HELL no.

Have to run off to a blood donation appointment, will try to answer page 2 later.

Arimathea

Tessa

Karen, nothing wrong with posting and running, better than not posting. But the running is most important!

And I was a bit overwhelmed too when I realized I'd been up for 22 hours and almost all of those were either running or driving.

Hah on finishing ahead of the high school kid.

Elina, beer plus Excel sounds dangerous to me...but glad you found the problems and fixed them.

Diana, congratulations on the race! Soft sandy trail is some of the hardest. Calico has a lot of sand especially during the beginning which means your legs are tired the whole time.

Just got back from donating blood and I am definitely not going out again. Glad I did it, they will need all the blood they can get this weekend with the regulars on vacation and the idiots driving badly.

Sweet potatoes are on the stove, making the crust for the cranberry walnut pie, and I need to make dinner once DS finishes mopping the floor.

Docket_Rocket

6 with 2 @ way faster than MP (sorry, Karen). Outside.  77F and 70 dewpoint felt a bit hard but the legs moved like there was no issue.  Oh, well.

Bugsy still has some worms so they gave me more dewormer for him and the whole troop.  We are letting him out to share litterboxes and medicating everybody.  He was going crazy in a closet sized bathroom.  He has now taken over my husband's computer room with him, where Rubio is supposed to be.  Poor boy, but he will survive.  Oh, and they medicated him there with a towel around him (think Purrito).  He got so violent he hit his chin to the table. Hoping it's not broken (so far it looks like he is OK).  I'll be purritoing atop a sofa so he does not do that.

Lizzie, cats don't need to be bathed unless they are ill or peed themselves or something like that.  They clean themselves very well.  I have two white cats that are pristine 24/7 and they all smell delicious.  Some cats like water but most of them will try to kill you.  Like Bugsy, he would.

Laura, nice 3.

Kat, yum, gravy.

HalfCrazy, nice workout!

Sandy, yay for canceled meetings!

Karen, oh, nice weather for the TT. Go for it!  Oops, didn't read your post before I headed out there, LOL.  I have to say 10:19mm at the end of my run today (after the MP miles) did feel super easy.

Elina, yeap.  I have a BBA and an MBA in Finance, plus my JD.  I work in bankruptcy so I see numbers every day and LOVE Excel. High five back!

Diana, congrats on the race!!!!

Tessa, I love running and doing errands at once. Nice job.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

HuronHeart

Quick post from me. Had an early morning meeting and plans after work so did a quick change at lunch time and ran 3 miles.  It actually worked pretty well.  Only problem was forgrtting a hairbrush so I had wild hair all afternoon.  I may start adding in some noon runs until the days get longer.  My personal preference is to run in the morning.

I see a lot of nice runs posted today!

Too tired for personals,  Will try to do better tomorrow.

Happy Thanksgiving Eve!

HH-Kathy