Womens Running

Frazzled Friday (Over 40) (Read 19 times)

Work.  The amazing woman who brought me in and has been leading change across the company was fired yesterday.  One old boy left in the network but with enough power to do it. I guess that's why they call it courageous leadership, this is what sometimes happens, and why few are willing to risk doing it. Pretty sure my spot is safe (hired 130 people last year and 30 something so far this year) but today isn't going to be pretty.  Same woman who left a Super Recruiter action figure on my desk for me to find yesterday. Same woman who casually said "you can do this. no problem." Groan.

Going to gym to do strength (need it) and some non-running cardio.

Marjorie-I did do my band work last night. Thanks for the, um, direction.

Ginny-hopefully today will be the last bitter cold.  -4 with a feels like of -16.  Not sure if bitter even describes it.

Camille-I do walk run. Then again, even when I didn't "say" I was doing it, I did. Not sure if it made me any faster unless you mean faster in terms of not stopping sooner. :-)

Carol-hugs.  Just when we think "okay" this is as "bad" as it can get, something comes along to show us that we do indeed have more fortitude than we thought we had.  Just another muddy spot along the trail which we can and will get through.  I'm on the sidelines of a friend battling alcoholism. The "just keeping going" is a powerful force to have.  The other option is not worth even flirting with. And "the point"? That's the ability to see good and beauty as well as the realization that we DO make a difference somewhere to someone. Small and big. Most of the time we, and maybe they, never know until "the point" turns into a black hole and we're gone.

Tessa-you know all about above.  hang in there..ultra woman!

All of YOU make a difference and are a huge help to me.  Thank you for making me laugh, keep me from crying (or at least sobbing outloud), and for inspiring to just keep going. We are blessed to have seen the "impossible" become "possible" within ourselves and our small community here.  We are also smart enough to recognize how we change or need to adjust, so "possible/impossible" isn't the same from one day to the next or from one to the other. And are courageous enough to share that with others. Thanks for helping me to keep my light burning!!

Smile!

Lisa

judyruns

Mighty Mouse

MyMomRuns, thank you for keeping ALL OUR lights burning!!! You can express things so very well. :::very many hugs:::

I am so sorry that your supportive person was fired. Maybe it was someone who was very jealous of her talents and courage!

Yesterday was a 50 minute run/cardio DVD. Weather was dicey all day. Right now it is around zero. No, actually three below zero. Ugh!

Today I hope to get to the track for a run. A lot depends on the temperatures. I really need some yoga and a lot of time to do it.

Happy runs, All!  :::HUGS:::

Where is the "any" key?   

judyruns

ginnyb

Lisa...THANK YOU!  Like Judy says....you have a wonderful way of expessing your thoughts in words here and you help us all immensely!  So sorry of the firing of your coworker, that's rough.

Carol...hugs to you, hope things are looking better today.

Judy...yes bitter cold this morning,  What is sad is that this is beginning to feel normal to me.

One of my dearest friends at work is 61 years old, both of her daughters, who are in their 30's have bi-polar , discovered in their late teens, both have had children with questionable fathers, my friend is now responsible for both grandchildren, one of her daughters lives at home with her, one is on her own, but shouldn't be.  Her son commited suicide over a year ago and her husband tried to do the same, her husband was fired from his job about 6 months ago and friend had to go from part time at the library to full time.  When she should be contemplating retirement, she now is the sole breadwinner for this family.  She is the kindest, sweetest person you would ever want to meet , and other than her closest friends you would never know what is going on in her life.  She has no support at home, as husband is mentally unstable, does not help her at all.  I don't know why I told you all this except for I wish I could do something really big for her.  She hardly ever does anything fun because she is afraid to leave the house with her husband, daughter , grandsons at home.  She comes from a large family, who is very supportive, but still.........I just ache for her at times  She knows she can escape to my home anytime she needs to do so, but she very rarely does....I have so many questions for God when my time comes, don't understand life so many times......

Don't want to be Debby Downer here either, I just know that I think about her situation so frequently and you ladies are so wise, maybe you have some thoughts about this that will help me help her, does that make sense?

Ginny

http://ginnybess.blogspot.com/

6/8 Hatfield/McCoy Half, 8/18 lake Erie Shores and Islands Half, 9/21 Mighty Niagara Half Lewiston, NY, 10/7 Cleveland Rock & Roll Half 10/6 or Detroit Free Press 10/20, A Christmas Story 5 or 10K Cleveland 12/7, Santa Hustle Half Cedar Point 12/15

SugarLand

Lisa - Thank you for the beautiful words -

I know I do not post very often but I read the forum every day all you are amazing women - you give the support to get out there and run.

Ginny - I am sure you are helping your friend more that you think - You might ask her the next time you go shopping if she needs anything at the grocery or drug store. I have a couple of friends that are fighting breast cancer and everytime I stop at the drug store I text them if they need anything then I get to see them when I drop off the purchases works great for both of us.

I am running the Woodlands 1/2 tomorrow will be a little warm start of the race 67 degrees

Hugs and Blessings to all - Go out and have a wonderful day -

Bikerchick1

Lisa - So sad about the firing of an amazing woman....must make for a very unsettling work enviornment.   Thanks for the very insightful words.  I believe you have missed your calling and should be a counselor (not that you are NOT wonderful with what you do)!!!  Or at least an author of a a self-help book as you are so good with words!

Judy - Aren't we so tired of this cold weather!  We will all have spring fever when it even reaches 20 degrees!

Ginny - So hard for your friend, I'm sure you just being there as a  nonjudgmental supportive friend/listener is a huge help to her.  I don't understand why some people have so many crosses to bear in life either.

Sugarland - Enjoy your 1/2 tomorrow!!!

Need to get 6 in today, so will head to the gym to use the trace.  I can't go out in below zero weather, just.can't.do.it....

Thanks for the kind words - I always get wisdom/support, and a chuckle from this group....BIG THANKS.

Carol

TGIF!!  Last night ran 6 with Randy.  Nice afternoon--sunny and cool.  This morning I swam 1600 yards.

After lunch we are going to Seaside, FL for a HM.  I think I am just going to do the 5k with my friends.  Last weekend's HM hurt.  I can do the distance, but not at a race pace.  Will be a fun girls' weekend.

Hugs to everyone!  Sometimes it is just good to be able to talk/write about what is on your mind.  I know I can share things here that I can't share with others, and sometimes just a discussion is great therapy.

Carol--Scott is one of the bikes on my list.  The local shop said they could get last year's model for about half price.  If not, I may order from REI.  They have Scott Plasma 30 and Cannondale Slice 5 in the catalog for much less than the price in the specialty shops.  Greg (aka "Bike God") will be thrilled to help me assemble, then I can go to the shop and have it fitted.  I really wish someone would just make the decision for me.  Too many choices.

Have a great weekend!!!

Anonymous Guest

For the first time in over 20 years, we are completely boatless! We still have a bunch of sails and stuff in our garage because the weather is so bad the guy that bought (yes, he actually bought it and our loan is paid off!!!) can't get the arrangements made to get it from us.

Work is frustrating (thanks, coworker, for pointing out what you consider serious problems with a memo written by another coworker that I sent out to my entire committee yesterday - you couldn't have pointed that out in the two days you had the memo before it went out, but waited until an hour afterwards?), the weather sucks, and I've been in a run down, crappy mood all week. But that is going to change. I am giving myself an attitude adjustment (it may have to wait until after I run 9 with 4 at HMP in the dark below-freezing temps after work). I'm not exactly sure how yet, but it is going to happen. Life is going to go on whether I'm miserable or happy, so I am going to be happy if it kills me, dammit.

Lisa, that sucks. She sounds like a pretty amazing person. I'm sure she'll land on her feet, but it sucks that you are losing that support. And thanks for that last paragraph. It's kind of strange that I consider all of you (even those I haven't met) good friends. Strange in a good way though, more like amazing that I've gotten to know so many people from all over the country that I wouldn't have without running and the internet. And I'm very thankful.

Ginny, what a difficult situation for your friend. I'm sure your friendship and support are a huge help to her. I will think about it and see if I can come up with any suggestions on how to help her.

Sugarland, good suggestion for Ginny. Have a great race tomorrow. This crappy winter has made me okay with moving down that way - DH went to a "how to buy a house in TX" seminar at work, where he learned that thanks to all the business relocating there, especially his, that it is a seller's market.

Carol, we're always here for venting, worrying, etc. You mentioned yesterday something like "compared to what Tessa is going through, it's nothing". Tessa is going through a totally awful thing and she is doing it amazingly well, but that doesn't make what you're going through any less real for you. As my sponsor told me once "your shit is still your shit". Don't compare your situation to others, it's okay to feel bad about something, or good about something, even if others have it worse.

Tessa, that reminds me - I never commented on your latest update. I do hope there is a peaceful ending in soon for all of you. I'm guessing DS has had to grow up quite a bit and quite quickly with all of this. Know that I (all of us, I'm sure) am constantly amazed, inspired and impressed with how you are handling the whole situation.

Susan, have a fun time in FL!

Oh hey, just looked at the calendar. Today marks 7 years without a drink for me. I shall celebrate by running 9 miles with 4 at HMP in the dark and cold after work....

karen

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

ginnyb

LOL Karen, I feel the same way, I am going to be happy if it kills me!  I have been in a funk too.  99% due to the weather I am sure. Congratulations on your 7 year anniversary and it is the last day of February, very glad to see this month go!  Now if we can just get rid of March too maybe April will have Spring days.

I feel the same about feeling that you are all friends here, even the ones I have never met!  It is a nice warm and fuzzy feeling on this bitter cold day.

Ginny

6/8 Hatfield/McCoy Half, 8/18 lake Erie Shores and Islands Half, 9/21 Mighty Niagara Half Lewiston, NY, 10/7 Cleveland Rock & Roll Half 10/6 or Detroit Free Press 10/20, A Christmas Story 5 or 10K Cleveland 12/7, Santa Hustle Half Cedar Point 12/15

Bikerchick1

Sue - I do love my Scott, in fact I am afraid of it...LOL...it goes much faster - mind you I am not a speedster, but it flies down hills, and climbs up them pretty good.  Mine was a year old model as well, I traded in a Giant Road bike - the bike shop owner swapped out my Giant seat, said the Scott's seat very uncomfortable!

Karen - I love the saying "your shit is still your shit"....thanks for that analogy!  Big congrats on 7 years sober, that is such a huge accomplisment!

Ginny - thinking this weather is not helping our "winter doldrums"!   I usuall don't complain about the weather too much....but seriously this cold weather is getting on my last nerve!

Carol

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

URD. I went to run but my feet hurt and the hip was sore so I decided to stop.

Lisa as hope work hasn't been too bad today and you are still smiling

Ginny poor friend!

happy day Karen!

Marjorie

camille2

Lisa, that is really too bad about your awesome woman. I hope she's replaced with someone equally great. You did express it well.

Ginny, it's so nice that you care enough to write about your friend.    Taking a little pot of flowers or other little gifts are also things that might make her smile.   I still have a couple things coworkers gave me while DH was so sick, including a silly little stuffed monkey. That's not something I would have thought of, but it still makes me smile.  Have you thought of cooking a meal for them now and again? A basket of lotions/bubble baths. Really, anything is nice and appreciated. One suggestion-do anything at work near the end of her day so she can go home in case she keeps her emotions below the surface.

Demaris, I hope you're feeling better!

Sugarland, good luck!

Sue, good luck to you, too.

Carol, I hope you're feeling better.  What a nice thing for your hubby to do. He sounds thoughtful and I love the idea.

Karen, congrats on 7 years!  Also, congrats on selling the boat!  Have you added a few race trips to your calendar after that? Good attitude there..

Marjorie, did you get things resolved at work?

Anyone heard from Laura or Cindy? It's not like them to be away this long.

I'm in a funk the past couple days and can't blame the weather. I won't talk about running today, but I am going hiking tomorrow, so that should work.

Ginny-some people do seem to have more than their share. Nice of you to think of her.

Thanks all. The woman who was let go was our Chief HR Officer/VP so not exactly a coworker but my boss. Thing about bringing a "change agent" in is that the will ruffle feathers and they will be passionate and they will tell people what they think. She's made many big changes and just pushed too hard on the old boys network too many times. Will be interesting to see what ends up happening. I came to the company to work under her. Hope she lands somewhere good.  It will be fine and the change she had made will continue (hopefully).

karen-congrats on 7 years!

Lisa

ginnyb

It seems quite a few of us are in a funk.  Too bad we don't live closer together so we could "defunk" , not to be confused with "defunct" which would not be good!

Had kind of fun at work today.  I left my FB open on a computer and a co-worker hacked me, writing that I had decided that running was for losers and that I would no longer run, but would eat krispy kreme donuts instead...quite a conversation ensued on my account after the post.  It was funny.  i do work with some fabulous people for which I am grateful.

Ginny

Sending virtual hugs to everyone.  So many wise women here.

LIsa, that's a shame that your boss was let go, especially since it sounds like she was doing what she was supposed to do and making a difference.  I hope your work situation doesn't go downhill because of it.

Judy, bundle up!  That's cold.

GinnyB, nice that you have colleagues with a good sense of humor.  You are a good friend to your co-worker who's going though so much at home.  I'm sure just being there for her is helping.

Sugarland, have a great HM tomorrow!

Carol, how true that some people seem to get more than their fair share of heartache.

CrazySue, have a great race tomorrow with your friends.

Karen, congrats on your 7 years anniversary!  And also congrats on selling the boat and getting rid of the loan!

Marjorie, hoping your aches are a temporary and go away soon.

Camile, I hope you have a nice hike tomorrow that de-funks you.

Tessa, just a quick note to echo what others have already said -- hoping your DH finds some peace.  You too.

I will be even more absent than usual for the next two weeks since DH and I leave tomorrow for our Antarctica adventure.  We have a marathon there on March 8 and the rest of the time we'll be doing day trips to look at penguins, whales, icebergs, and whatever else may be found.  Hoping that you're all well for the next two weeks and I'll catch up with you when I'm back.

4/14/24 Napa Valley 50k, Calistoga, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR