Womens Running

Suddenly it is Saturday/Sunday (over 40) (Read 20 times)

Back home after an eventful weekend up in Auburn.  Very pleased to report that my friend finished his first 100 miler.  He did great for the first half, then hit a wall and barely squeaked through the 78 mile cutoff at 4:50 am, but then found some more gas in the tank and finished at 29:35, with 25 minutes to spare.  I was hopping around the various aid stations from mile 31 through the finish with his bag of extra clothes (temps were in the 80 during the day and 50 at night), food, S-caps, batteries, lights, socks, shoes and sundry other things to keep him going.  While there were plenty of aid stations and drop bag sites, he didn't want to leave anything to chance.  A couple other friends paced him along the way and other folks form our RC came up to cheer him on.  He a super guy -- the first to volunteer or lend a hand whenever anyone needs anything -- so people were happy to be there for him.  And that it turned out well.

Karen, no, I don't think a 100 miler is in the cards for me.  If I really really worked hard, maybe 50 miles would be possible but I'm not itching to find out.  Races out here are all so hilly and demanding too.

Tessa, ouch on wiping out.  But that's a good finish time nonetheless!   If you happen to find the short cut, microwave version of laundry, do share it.

Marjorie, I wonder if undertrained marathoner is going to be one-and-done or if the experience will make her want to do better?  I'm a little embarrassed to say this but DH and I were like her on our first marathon (except we didn't know any marathoners and no one explained why it was a bad idea to attempt one, in Hawaii where it was hot and hilly, with only one "long" run of 13.1 miles).   But it made us want to try again and do it better.

Lisa & Susan, sounds like you had a fun race at Rugged Man today.  Nice to see you keeping your racing calendar full next year, Lisa!

Hi Cindy -- hope your weekend went well.  A 50k is not an unreasonable way for a mind to wander, IMHO.

Hello to everyone else!

4/14/24 Napa Valley 50k, Calistoga, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

Hi all,

Started out this morning to meet Lisa and Kaite at bit after 7 am.  The sun was just coming up and sunrise was absolutely spectacular.  I debated stopping to take a photo but decided just to keep driving and to simply take in the splendor.  Running with Lisa has gotten me out of my "neighborhood" and comfort zone and out into parks I've never before visited.  Same was the case today.  So arrived at the mountain bike trailhead at Heartland Recreational Area seconds before Lisa and Kaite... talk about perfect timing.  Used the restroom and then we headed out on the trail.  Yes, this is the squiggly and hilly trail that Lisa mentioned:

Its also the trail that every time Lisa said I could go ahead of her, I responded, don't worry, I don't care about my time, I just want to come out alive!  Ok, it wasn't that bad - actually it was fun - but it definitely is full of mud, rocks, roots, twigs, and fallen logs.  And lots of hills!  Thanks Lisa for getting me out to run!  What's next?

Tessa, awesome race report.  That's quite the adventure! 

Susan

Susan-And a tibia!  Forget the fallen trees to step over being the identifier for a real trail run.  Now finding the tibia of a deer on the trail will be the bar / bone to reach.  LOL  I was super slow today.  Tired.  But I can do that with minimal knee pain but run 5 on roads and it hurts.

Tessa/Karen-Fair to be nervous of a Randy event but this is in no way the same trail as a DWD event.  Granted a few are actually same trails but none of the off trail/stupid stuff.  The only knock would be that depending on where you're at on the loop (ultras run a slightly different loop from the full on down runners) you can get caught up in shorter distance runners way.  Ginny and I saw a good number of 100k and 100 milers when we were doing the half.  The half that Ginny loved.

Gatsby-I did leave out that NYCM race... LOL  other than that, you'll note that they are all trails.  I'd do DWD Devil's Lake in Wisconsin again in July too!  Was so pretty!

Lisa

Anonymous Guest

Hahahaha, I have no intention of doing a 100. But if I did, I would probably try to do it at a flatish 24 hour race, or Rocky Raccoon, which is supposed to be one of the "easier" ones, and would be really close to new home.

Tessa, nice report and ouch! Congrats on another one, and in a great time, especially considering the time lost with the fall and subsequent clean up.

Gatsby, congrats to your friend!

Nice running, Lisa and Susan. Susan, do you mean Katie? I see Kaite and I think of Lisa's DD, who I do not picture out running the trails with her mother. At least not yet.

My race schedule is sadly empty for next year. Other than Charleston, I'm planning on Toledo and NYC, but other than that, I don't know. I think I'll enter the Cherry Blossom 10 miler lottery, and I'd like to do Endless Summer 6-hour again in July, but I'm keeping things pretty much open since I don't know where I'll be living when. Final framing inspection on the house next week, so they are really moving along. Looking like my move may be February instead of March.

Oh yeah, I ran 10 miles today.

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

Karen, Yes Katie.  I think somewhere along the line I thought I saw Lisa spell Katie's name Kaitie... hence my confusion. Or perhaps I was just confused.

Lisa, Oh yes, forgot the tibia!  How could I have forgotten that.   No big deal on the speed. I was happy to be out there with you and Katie and didn't care about my time.. I was more worried about my ankles, but I have to admit, since I've been running more trails, my ankles seem stronger..

Gatsby, Congrats to your friend!  So nice of you to crew for him!

No clue what races I'm doing next.  Thinking maybe the Trail Half in the spring but depends on my teaching schedule and how much I can train.  Otherwise, just taking it easy for a while Smile 

Well, nite all!  I'm beat!