Womens Running

World Series Weekend (Over 40) (Read 17 times)

camille2

Way to go, Susan/rm!! Impressive.

gatsby, I can't believe I am just discovering that area. It's where Ga, S C and NC come together And waterfalls seem to be all over. You are racking up the marathons this year.   How many?

laura, good to see you! I suspected the new job was the culprit.  We'll expect u on Friday though. : )

Demaris, I hope you're better!

lisa, I hope you team wins.

marjorie, the internet light won't come on. The others are on.  I've talked to the phone tech, who said I should always leave the power on and thinks it's because I unplug everything during storms and when I leave.  I'll ask the tech who comes out.  Here in the woods, we have outages and surges often and I thought they preferred controlled power disconnects. I probably need to change companies (frequent issues), but I get a free  Atlanta ph number with them rather than a N Ga one.

Anonymous Guest

Congratulations Susan! Well done.

camille, it was cold when I ran (below freezing at the start, I think, don't know the temp at the peak) but luckily the storm moved through beforehand so it wasn't super windy. Plus the first part (the part the marathon covers) is pretty sheltered I think. Something I am glad I did but don't need to do again! Your hikes sound pretty awesome.

Gatsby, how many marathons have you run?

Laura, nice streak! And good to see you.

Ginny, how cool that your GD made state!

Marjorie, nice run as usual. I'm thinking I probably won't be able to run much faster than 8 minute miles, probably need 7:30s to win. A couple months ago I'd have expected 7s, since it is supposed to be a flat course. Oh well.

Panic in the house when I couldn't find the cowbell. I searched everywhere. I'm afraid I may have gotten rid of it when I was cleaning out a bunch of junk in the basement, DH thinks it might be in a gym bag that he left at the office. So, here is my solution for the marathon tomorrow:

My friend Michael that used to post as BigManRunning on RWOL is running and I promised him a sign. Posted this on fb and he is excited. I think this is only his second or third marathon. I'm set up to track several runners, it looks like a beautiful day, should be fun.

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

Susan-congrats on your ultra!!  So exciting!

Karen- love the sign but where is the squeaky toy?

Lisa

Arimathea

Tessa

Marjorie, do you want to know where the squeaky toy is, or is it that Hammie wants to know where the squeaky toy is...??

Susan, congratulations!! That distance is impressive.

GatsbyBird, have you done CIM before?

Camille, it's always fun to find a new hiking area.

Karen, you're spectating MCM tomorrow? That is good news about Jake. I am sorry to hear about your sister.

Anonymous Guest

I had to sneak the squeaky toy into my bag while somebody was out in the backyard. About to head downtown, I'll be hanging out just past mile 14. It's over a mile from the nearest Metro station, so it's a pretty quiet area and I thought a good place for runners to get a little squeaky toy love. Hoping the timing system works, and I get half splits on the people I'm looking for before they get to me.

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

ginnyb

Went to GD's birthday party last night at my sons.  We had a surprise, my youngest son proposed to his girlfriend!  So I will be gaining another daughter in the near future!  So excited for them both!  They have been together a while and I knew he was going to propose, but didn't know when....it was cool in front of the whole family!

Ginny

http://ginnybess.blogspot.com/

6/8 Hatfield/McCoy Half, 8/18 lake Erie Shores and Islands Half, 9/21 Mighty Niagara Half Lewiston, NY, 10/7 Cleveland Rock & Roll Half 10/6 or Detroit Free Press 10/20, A Christmas Story 5 or 10K Cleveland 12/7, Santa Hustle Half Cedar Point 12/15

Quick question... how do I insert an image?

Ginny, Congratulations! And welcome to your new daughter-in-law! Happy Birthday to your GD!

Karen, LOL on having to sneak out the squeaky toy. Hope BigMan is doing well. So sorry to hear about your sister and BIL. Hopefully, the marriage counseling will help. Marriage is challenging with all of the many conflicting demands – especially with kids.   Good news about Jake! Glad to hear!

Camille, that’s strange about the power – I would have thought it was better to unplug things but I guess not. I have to admit, we don’t unless we’re going to be away for quite some time. Nice to be able to explore the area. Lisa’s showed me several great running/hiking locations recently – all within about 50 min of my house. J A friend of mine just moved to NC – love the picture she posts of the Blue Ridge Mountains.

Gatsby, Good luck next week – but quick question.. How can the marathon in Sacramento be international? No border crossings into Canada, right?  Nice job on the speedy run.

LC Runs, 58 day-running streak! Wow, that’s awesome. I’d like to be able to say I could do that with combination of runs/walks with DH. Can’t though!

Marjorie, great job on the 12 miles!

Cindy, I’m sure you’ll do awesome in the marathon! Yes, before you know it, you’ll be a marathoner!

Lisa, love the photos you posted of your run this am. Absolutely gorgeous.

So more on the race yesterday…

So this was a 12 hour run – I could run as many laps (4.06 miles) in 12 hours – and as long as I got back to the finish by 11:59:59, I could go out for another lap. (Yeah, right!)

So up at 4:15, dressed, ate my oatmeal and banana and had a cup of coffee (hotel staff member was setting up breakfast, which wasn’t supposed to be ready before 6 am, but it was – nice addition!). Met my friend, Leslie, in the lobby at 5:10 and headed over the start tent, which was only about a quarter mile away, but Leslie wanted to get a choice spot near the tent so she could change clothes/shoes as necessary. Hung out in her car to stay warm. Used the rest room a couple times (glad someone else has the same pre-race routine as me). Took a photo in the darkness,

and then at 6 we were out. I’ve never run a race in the darkness before and rarely even run in the dark. But it was pretty cool though. It was easy to see the reflective ribbon and aluminum pie plates in the darkness, illuminated by our headlamps. Leslie and I, along with two other runners from the LRC group, were together for about the first mile and a half – then they scooted off and we were left alone to navigate through the darkness, avoiding fallen apples and squashed pumpkins (did I say it was in an apple orchard), fallen twigs, etc. We admired the way the light reflected off the dew drops on the grass and off the reflective tape on our friends jacket. Made it one loop without falling, in less than an hour – both of us were happy with that. Called out our numbers, grabbed a quarter p&j sandwich, and away we went.

There weren’t many stars and besides, one couldn’t look up anyway – at least not safely. We did see Orion though. Through the second aid station at mile 2 (or so) – sip of water and a piece of banana. Lap 2 done, mostly in the darkness. The smell of donuts baking

signaled we were close to the start/finish again. Came through the start/finish area, called out our numbers, said hi to Simon, got another quarter p&j sandwich and off we went.

By now, it was starting to get light. It was amazing how different the trail looked in the light. We were essentially alone as the 37 runners were pretty much spread out along the route. Got lapped by a couple of the faster runners. And back to the start. Short bathroom break and through the start. Again, before the hour, so we were happy. Forgot to call out my number, said hi to Simon and gave him my jacket, got another quarter p&j sandwich and off we went.

Pretty much the same routine through lap 6, except that by the 4th lap, they were making grilled cheese sandwiches at the second aid station. Grabbed a quarter of grilled cheese sandwich each time through. 20 miles: got my m&m treat. By lap 7, I was hurting and could no longer keep up with Leslie. She went off ahead of me a bit (I could see her in the distance for most of the race).   I still wanted to finish in less than an hour, so I pushed as hard as I could… down hills were really hard on my right toe. And believe it or not, the thing that hurt most was my left shoulder. Finished mile 28 strong (at least for me) in 14:16, which made me happy. I knew the last lap would be much easier and slower as DH promised to walk it with me (earlier in the race I thought I would go all 8 laps with Leslie, and do a victory lap with DH, for a total of 36. By lap 6 that just seemed nuts). So back to the start/finish, got another quarter p&j sandwich and a couple of m&m’s, filled up my water bottles again, and off we went. Did the first mile together at about a 17 min pace, which was pretty awesome

for DH. The others we did at a 20-22 min pace, but that was fine by me. Through the 2nd aid station, another quarter grilled cheese

sandwich, past the pumpkin train, took a few photos, and finally back to the start finish. Sort of run it in… just to at least pretend I finished strong. All in all 32.5 miles in 8 hours and 19 min!

With great trepidation, took off my right shoe and looked at my feet. Yep, big toenail was black. Took off left shoe – and this big toe had a massive blood blister. Didn’t expect that one as the foot never hurt. Put on sandals, got my medal (which is not a medal, but a pair of

gloves – they said they went with something more useful than a medal). Simon and I walked over (or should I say I waddled) over to the store to get some donuts, apples, and an apple pie. Left two donuts for Leslie, offered another to one of the race organizers, and headed home. We were home in time for dinner!  All in all a great run race.  Course was really well marked.  Aid stations were grade.  Volunteers helping with aid crossings were great.  Runners were amazing - and so encouraging - even when I was almost crawling in the last loop.  Would I do another ultra - not sure - although the atmosphere/people were awesome!

Figured out how to post photos!  Smile

LC Runs

Susan - wow, great job!!  Sounds like a fun time

I have never been able to post a pic on this site either.....

LC Runs,

Upload the photo to http://tinypic.com.  Go to the image icon and past the url given under "Direct Link for Layouts" into the Source box.  Click ok then resize the photo using the cursor.   Hope this makes sense.

Susan

camille2

Susan, I'd frame those gloves!  Great job and thanks for R R.

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

Birthday run complete. I did 17.8 miles today. With yesterday's I got 48km done. I turn 48 on Wed. At least I did it over two days and km instead of miles. I could not have done 48 miles.  Happy with that. It got really hot too. When i started it was 59 but by 11 miles it was in the 80s. I stopped at 11.5  and 14.6 for water

Tessa I think it was Lisa asking about the squeaky toy. But, Hammy would like it too!

nice job Susan. Love seeing the pics

Karen hope the spectating went well

Ginny how exciting for the wedding!

Laura directions to insert pics is stickied at the top of our forum page.

Marjorie

Greetings!  Being from San Francisco, I'm avidly watching the world series.  The game last night was a doozy and I'm hoping for the best tonight with their ace pitcher.  The rest of the country seems to prefer Kansas City, to the extent they care at all, but around here folks are excited about the Giants.  Airport and city hall and some buildings downtown are lit up in orange.

Went for a 13 mile trail run this morning with a RC friend.  Wiped out twice on the trail tripping over roots and rocks, ooof, but no real harm done.   Training for CIM on 12/7 officially begins today, I suppose.  It'll be my 24th marathon (4th this year) and 5th CIM.  You'd think I'd be better at it by now, haha.

Camille, I have a sister in Atlanta but when I visit, we don't go exploring the great outdoors in GA since it's usually a short visit for a family event.  But I'll explore vicariously through your travels!

Karen, I saw on FB that your friend found you along the MCM course -- hope he did well on the marathon.  That's great that you went out to cheer in a section where it tends to be quiet on the course.  Bet the squeaky toy was a success (after all, everyone cheers with cowbells but who has squeaky toys?).

Tessa, how many marathons (or more) have you done?  Bet it's a lot.  This will be our 5th CIM.  Sort of a tradition now for DH and me.  And other folks from our RC head up for it so we'll all do dinner on Saturday.

GinnyB, congratulations on your son's engagement!  That's nice that he popped the question with the family there.

RunnersMom, great RR!  I've no idea why CIM is "international".  No border crossings, not a particularly international field.  Pretty sure other races in California have a better claim to being international at least in terms of participation.

Great birthday run Marjorie!  And let me be the first to wish you a happy birthday in advance of your special day on Wednesday, since I'm not very good at posting during the week.

Waves to everyone else.

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR