Womens Running

Tiny Buddha Challenges - January 2018 (Read 24 times)

Docket_Rocket

Jan 16 - Say yes to a request when you are tempted to say no.

What types of requests do you frequently decline?

Why do you say no to these types of requests?

Could you give a little without overextending yourself, so that instead of saying no, you say "I can't do that, but I can do this"

I decline anything extra curricular so long as it interfere with my running. Work dinners, etc.  I don't have the time, nor the inclination to be that social.  Fortunately, in my position, it's better to be aloof than to participate and be too social.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Anonymous Guest

I thought of this thread when I was at the grocery store yesterday. All the schools were announcing they were closing the next day because our high is forecast to be 31 and we will probably get a little ice or snow, so the place was full of people, plus they are rearranging the store (why???) so there were lots of workers blocking half the aisle. I tried so hard to be patient and smile and let other people that seemed to be frustrated or in a hurry go! It was really hard a couple times though.

Some of these are hard for me to respond to since I don't interact with that many people anymore. But for January 13, I can say I know most of my neighbors. That's more because of the neighbors than me though! I have commiserated with neighbors, but not really complimented much....I will work on that.

For today's, my problem is I always say yes, even when I should say no! And then I dread it, and then it turns out to be not so bad, so maybe saying yes was the right thing to do?

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

Arimathea

Tessa

Jan 16 - Say yes to a request when you are tempted to say no.

What types of requests do you frequently decline?

Why do you say no to these types of requests?

Could you give a little without overextending yourself, so that instead of saying no, you say "I can't do that, but I can do this"

To water my mother's plants when she's away. I decline that request every time.

Because I have very little time at home, I leave at 5:15 AM and get home around 6:30 PM if I don't have class, 9 PM or so if I do, and watering her plants isn't a matter of splash, splash, squirt, done. It's sitting at her house while each group of sprinklers gets its 10-15 minute run, so it takes anywhere from 45 to 90 minutes to do all the watering. I suppose I could run laps around the block between turning off one set and turning on the next, but that's too much of my cherished time at home. Besides, there are family members who don't work who can do it any time.

Could I give a little without overextending myself? The author has obviously not met my mother. Give her a little and she'll take it all. I love her dearly but she is very good at taking the slightest sign of acquiescence and blowing it up until you have agreed to do everything she wanted you to do in the first place.

dhuffman63

Trails

Jan 17 - Call one of your grandparents or another older relative who may enjoy connecting with you and appreciate that you thought of them.

When was the last time you contacted this person? Were they pleased to hear from you?

Do you regularly contact this person? If not, why?

How might it benefit you, and the other person, to prioritize staying in touch?

judyruns

Mighty Mouse

Jan 17

I'm already older than dirt and there is no one left to call. However, one of the benefits of speaking with the elders in your family is that you will find out family information, ancestry, names, stories, medical, what jobs relatives held (my FIL was the nitro man in a coal mine!), whatever that you will no longer be able to find out when they are dead. I was always thankful that I had asked questions and written down answers while my elders were still alive. 

Where is the "any" key?   

judyruns

dhuffman63

Trails

Jan 18 - Think about the kindest thing someone ever did for you. Below, write what happened and how this affected your life, also identify anyone else who benefited from this act. List as many people as you can and how specifically they benefited.  Keep this in mind today to remind yourself that one act of kindness can help more people than you know.

dhuffman63

Trails

Jan 19 - Do something to make your life easier today.

What part of your day are you most dreading, and why?

Are you putting any unnecessary pressures on yourself, and why?

How would it affect your day and your state of mind if you took the pressure off?

Lizziebeerunning

Cupcake Connoisseur

Jan 17

I talk to my grandpa quite often, but I need to be more diligent about it. He recently lost his girlfriend so I should reach out more. I guess the benefit would be – speaking to him! He is 92 and isn’t going to be around forever! He always asks me when I am going to get married – maybe I should have HCBF talk to him. Smile

Jan 18

The nicest thing someone has ever done for me. Hmm. I will have to say it was when I broke my foot. I was living alone and on the 3rd floor of an apartment building. Grocery shopping was difficult on crutches. My parents would drive an hour every Friday to pick me up (it was my right foot so I couldn’t drive) and take me back to their house so they could help take care of me. Then on Sunday they would drive  me home and help me grocery shop. They are my parents – isn’t that what they are supposed to do? Wink I don’t think so! They went the extra mile to make sure I was taken care of..even at 25. Nicest thing ever. I will cherish those weekends. I had a lot of friends help me out, too. My parents defiantly benefited. They had me around more and who wouldn’t love that?! LOL Smile No really, there are times when I don't feel like doing family stuff or helping out my parents with something..but I remember those weekends and quickly change my attitude.

Jan 19

I am dreading this afternoon because I have stupid errands to run after work. When I have a lot to do my anxiety goes NUTS. This morning on my run I told myself that all of these errands don’t need to be done today. I can do some tomorrow morning and Sunday morning. The world will not end if I don’t get to Walmart today. LOL. This helped relax me a bit.

October 4 - Milwaukee, WI - 26.2

November 14 - Richmond, VA - 26.2

March 21 - Virginia Beach, VA - 26.2

dhuffman63

Trails

Jan 20 - Smile and say good morning to everyone you encounter today, to start everyone's day with positive energy.

What little thing help you start your day with a smile?

Can you incorporate these things into your morning routine to create positive energy that you can then share?

Is there anything you currently do in the morning that starts your day with stress, and can you eliminate this or do it differently?

dhuffman63

Trails

Jan 21 - Comment on a friend's or relative's picture on FB: "You look absolutely beautiful", or email a photo of the two of you together, along with this compliment.

Has anyone ever done this for you? If so, how did you feel as a result?

Is there anything that you believe make someone look beautiful aside from physical beauty?

When was the last time you told someone they looked beautiful? How do you think this made them feel?

dhuffman63

Trails

Jan 22 - Identify someone you think of as part of "they" - a group of people you see as separate from you - and start a friendly conversation with that person to bridge the gap.

Which group of people do you see as most separate from you, and why?

What type of judgments have you formed about them?

Even if for just today, can you consider that maybe none of those judgments are true?

dhuffman63

Trails

Jan 23 - Say something kind to someone you dislike, or do something kind for them.

How do you usually treat people you dislike?

Are you proud of anything you often do when approaching people you dislike? Where do you have room for improvement?

What's one reminder about people or life that will help you be kind toward someone you dislike today?

dhuffman63

Trails

Jan 24 - Ask someone who serves you in some way "How's your day going?"

Do you usually ask people this question when they serve you?

If so, do you wait for an answer, or say it more as a formality?

When someone asks you this while you are working, do you assume they don't really care to hear the answer - and what would they need to do differently to show they really do?

kats

WINE o'clock somewhere!

Thanks for these Diane.  I don't often reply, but they are thought provoking and have  improved my outlook and interactions with others.  I think of you and these challenges when I am in certain situations and try to better myself and create a more positive environment.  Keep them coming.

K

Kettle Moraine - June 2024

Beast of Burden - August 2024

Hennepin Hundred - Oct 2024

Javelina Jundred - Oct 2024

dhuffman63

Trails

Jan 25 - Send an uplifting card to a sick child through a site like www.sendkidstheworld.com, www.cardsforhospitalizedkids.com, or www.hugsandhope.org.

What do you imagine a child who's hospitalized with a disease might feel on a daily basis?

How might your card make a difference in their day?

What could you write (or draw) to bring a smile to a child's face?