Womens Running

Wow Weekend (over 40) (Read 19 times)

Laura-what has worked THE BEST for me for a 20 mile road run is to park in the middle of a 10 mile route, then do 5 miles out / back one way and 5 miles out / back the other way.  It's the trickiest way that I know to beat the number in your head!  I mean, you're just running out 5 miles then back to your car to refuel/refill etc.

Not feeling too sore after that jump in mileage run.  Was tunny when dd asked me about why I was so tired and I told her.  She was like "it's only 17, you've done more than that". Then I told her that since New Jersey I had only run 11 miles as the longest and that was road.  Of course I had no GOOD comeback to her asking me why I hadn't just run 12 or 13 miles instead.  Or when the GOOD answer was "because it was a 17 mile trail loop" and she came back with "you could have run out 6 or 7 then came back."  Kids.

Lisa

Docket_Rocket

Hi, ladies.  The week was too busy with me working extra and taking care of my neighbor's horde of kitties, but I did it.  62 miles this week for Week 1 of SF training.  I couldn't do speedwork without giving myself an asthma attack but I think I can adjust my speedwork to do something at least.  18 miles this morning.

Carol, hope you enjoyed your Saturday miles and sculpt class.  The adventure sounds awesome.  Enjoy!

Lisa, hiya!  Nice miles yesterday!

Camille, sorry about the lack of choices with you being allergic.  Hope the Cipro works and does not give you any side effects.

Marjorie, what's going on with your toe.  You called it samo something or other.  What is it?

Gatsby, hope you enjoyed your weekend workouts.

Karen, nice job with the Pilates class.  Mine likes my scissors.  She says they are among the best she has seen.  Too bad I suck at the rest, haha.

Cindy, sounds like you were busy indeed.

Susan, nice job getting back on track.

From today:

Gatsby, hope you enjoyed your miles today.

Marjorie, men will complain anyway.

LC Runs, nice job on the 20!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

camille2

Good afternoon!  I am happy!  I just booked my ticket to Anchorage for Tuesday. Overnight, they dropped the mileage needed by 10,000 for that day and that'll work for me.  I am so mentally ready to be there. I get in an hour later, 1:40 AK time and will be ready to sleep.

I thought y'all would enjoy the doc's line about walking being as good as running.

Lisa, I like your way of doing the long runs, too. Even repeating out and back the same direction works for me, as long as it's shorter sections.. Great miles, BTW!! As someone else said, you are back!

Marjorie, you're productive as usual!

Susan, I had to google Philmont.  Sounds like you are set for adventure!

Ginny, I'm glad you got your medal!  Sometimes there is justice.

Cindy, no wonder you were ready for bed!  Sounded busy, but fun.  BTW, your son's cartoon on FB was great!

Laura, I'm glad the run went better.  Tell her she's got it, esp on a flat course. I hope there are spectators who'll encourage here.

Gatsby, I hope you had a great trail run!

Carol, Grand Canyon sounds  like a great adventure!  BTW, it's 3 total weeks of cipro including the 4 days before I saw him-not too bad.

Karen, I imagine your Pilates instructor mostly sees fit people, so you should take that comment as a real compliment. : )

I walked 3.5 at the Greenway near my mom's today. It was very nice, but it took 55". I made a game of catching/passing the other walkers-scored 100%. Helped that they didn't know a competition was going on.  : )

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

Sesmoiditis. Sesmoids are small bones ----floaters like your knee cap. There are two under the ball of the foot at the big toe. They can become inflamed sometimes.  I have excessive toe extension so with push off with running and how I strike the ground I guess mine are wanting to get that way.  I'm pounding on them running but I also have very little cushion as I have minimal tissue in my foot and not much of a fat pad so it isn't hard for me to overwork them.  Tape is helping so my toe cannot overextend and put more pressure on them.

Marjorie

Docket_Rocket

Sesmoiditis. Sesmoids are small bones ----floaters like your knee cap. There are two under the ball of the foot at the big toe. They can become inflamed sometimes.  I have excessive toe extension so with push off with running and how I strike the ground I guess mine are wanting to get that way.  I'm pounding on them running but I also have very little cushion as I have minimal tissue in my foot and not much of a fat pad so it isn't hard for me to overwork them.  Tape is helping so my toe cannot overextend and put more pressure on them.

Ouch!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

LC Runs

Lisa - that is a great strategy.   I prefer out and backs, though she tends to do loops (and bless her heart, she has been mapping out all of our long runs and leaving water at stops along the route).  I almost always run solo long runs out and back, it's easier mentally.

Thanks, Damaris!

Camille - that's what I told her - between the other runners, crowd and music, it will definitely add motivation.

I did have quite a bit of energy today, as we were finishing up, I yelled, "WE JUST RAN 20 MILES!"!!!  Didn't really see anyone around but it was fun ha ha

Nice 16 mile trail run today -- lots of hills but also lots of redwoods and creeks and waterfalls plus friends.  Very good way to pass a few hours.  Below is a pic of DH and I at Berry Creek Falls.

LC -- nice 20!  You and your friend will be ready for the marathon.

Marjorie, ouch on the toe issue.  Glad that the tape is helping.

Camille, yay for getting a flight to Alaska and saving 10,000 miles.

Damaris, that's a lot of miles!  Your SF training seems off to a good start.

Lisa, kids don't understand that if it's a 17 mile loop, then 17 miles is what will be done.

Sorry to see the weekend end... also can't believe it's June already.  Have a great week!

https://scontent-a-sjc.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/t1.0-9/10305410_639484322786534_6146163154827289022_n.jpg

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

Anonymous Guest

Tired. Ended up with 9+ miles yesterday and another 11 today. Not sure how much running I'll be able to sneak in the next few days since I'll be traveling. Nowhere fun, flying to Akron tomorrow for two days in a vinyl siding plant about 1/2 hour north of there. Yay? Anyway, back Wednesday night, will get a run in Thursday, PIlates Friday then racing a local 10K on Saturday. Yes, I"m already looking towards next weekend.

Cute pic Gatsby. That does indeed sound like a fun way to spend a few hours.

Was it you on the first page that asked when we move? DH just has to be there by May of next year. Some people have already moved. We plan on going down for our home selection trip in the fall, then moving everything out of this house to sell it and then probably move down there winter/early spring. Could be a few months with two house payments, but that won't be a big deal. We will need to replace some carpeting and do some painting before we sell, and that will be easier once we move everything out.

camille, great news about the plane ticket. This is about the latest you've gone up,isn't it?

Lisa, your DD and her......logic! Glad you had a great trail run with friends.

D, scissors are freaking hard!

Laura, glad you felt so good at the end of your 20. Sounds like your RB is worried but will do fine.

Marjorie, ouch! Hope the toe is doing better.

Hi to everyone, especially those on page 1 that I missed. I'm tired and headed to bed.

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel