Womens Running

Wow March! ( Over 40 ) (Read 26 times)

It's here!!

Feel free to correct me that it was here yesterday also.

Wellll Lookie at what Lisa found... could be the worlds'' most obnoxious half marathon on June 8 in Sonoma.  I think the wedding is in the afternoon.  I "could" skip the spa treatment we were doing for ....da..da...dahhhhh...cue stadium rock guitar riff.... The Grapes of Rock Half Marathon.  OMG this is so incredibly bad. Can't stop laughing looking at the page.  Will have to send to sis. Maybe I can do it but either way she should know in case this affects anything logistics wise. But <choke> $125 for a half marathon???? sticker shock.

http://www.grapesofrock.com/index.php

FWIW I believe that the groom and friends are playing soccer in the morning.

Tessa-there is Santa Rosa... maybe 2014 I can plan trip then and we can stay at sis' place.

Top Ten Reasons To Run The Santa Rosa Marathon:

Bottle of Premium DeLoach Wine

Free Pancakes

Beautiful Vineyards & City Views

Double Spinner Medal

Free wine & beer post race

Boston Qualifier

Watermelon at finish line

Custom Shirt with pocket on back!

Free Coffee

Free Farmers Market

The free coffee wouldn't mean anything to you Tessa but man isn't that nice!

Lisa

ginnyb

Oh lisa....that half sounds great!  What fun.  Makes our Stomp the Grapes  sound so sad.    Yes, the entry fee is a trifle steep.

Have to work all day today, I do not like working Saturdays....a

Ginny

http://ginnybess.blogspot.com/

6/8 Hatfield/McCoy Half, 8/18 lake Erie Shores and Islands Half, 9/21 Mighty Niagara Half Lewiston, NY, 10/7 Cleveland Rock & Roll Half 10/6 or Detroit Free Press 10/20, A Christmas Story 5 or 10K Cleveland 12/7, Santa Hustle Half Cedar Point 12/15

LC Runs

Happy Saturday, glad it is March and spring is just ahead!

4 interval TM miles.  was going to try to run outside, but on a time crunch with concession stand and two soccer games.  Knee is feeling good, thank goodness!

Lisa - that Half looks so fun!  Steep price though

Ginny - hope your work day goes quickly. Word is that our agency is going to be open 8-5 on saturdays, what joy since that is the only day I have open with my kids.  Ugh Angry

Julie_D

Fire Jumper

G'rmornn all!   It is a lovely, quiet morning in the house and I'm sitting here sipping coffee and eating some fresh biscotti that just came out of the oven.  ahhhh.... the good life Smile

Worked out with core-meister yesterday.   What a guy.  I think he likes to see how much "glisten" he can make drip off the end of my nose... LOL This time he introduced me to the alternating Thai Plank.  simply joyous.

Lisa... I have a tortoise body with a hare mind!  lol.  I know I have to keep the trajectory slow, but that doesn't mean I don't want it, like yesterday!!  I'm not in Florida, I'm a Georgia girl, who lives in New York (close to where Cindy grew up, like she said).  But, I was visiting a friend in Florida recently.  You might have picked up on that.   The Miami/Key West Ragnar is simply a possible goal that I'm batting around because I love the area and love the concept; A really long run, broken down into manageable distances, with a team of people.  I looked at DWD, that looks cool too! Mud and running... always a good combo!

Karen - I looked at the Ragnar Adirondack, because it is so close to me and I love the area.   But the elevations are far beyond what I can do at distance right now.  It's hard enough on my car just drive that route!  If y'all do it, let me know.  I might be able to come over and cheer you off at the start!!

Damaris - will definitely let you know if we make your way.

Tessa - I am laughing so hard at the GPS excuse for missing class.  My students have come up with some good ones, but I have never seen the GPS excuse!  The paper map was an excellent recommendation! (so old school!)

LC, Marjorie, Ginny, Judy  - Nice Runs!   And HELLO if I missed anyone!

I'm going to shoot for 5 today.  The hip feels good and it's gross outside.  So what's better to do that 40 laps on the indoor track?  Then... it's date night with the hubster.

Be well, all

Julie

5K's and Obstacle Runs

Goal for 2013:  10K

Icebreaker Challenge 5K, Girls on the Run 5K, Friehofer's Run for Women 5K, Hero Rush, Warrior Dash Florida, Warrior Dash Eastern NY, Turkey Trot,  Mud Mania, and yet-to-be-decided goal 10K.

Anonymous Guest

Procrastination here. I've had my oatmeal and coffee, but it's cold out. Okay, it's 33, so I'm being a little bit wimpy, but still! 15 miles on the schedule. Actually, they are on tomorrow's schedule (8 today), but I'm switching days so I won't do speed work the day after the long run (speed work is normally on Tuesday, but with travel I'm moving it to Monday, which means long run Sunday is now Saturday). Way more information than any of you want to know, right? Welcome to the inner workings of my mind.

Lisa, you can probably find a trail race almost any weekend in California. Every time we go back there I wish I'd been a runner when we lived out there. I loved our sailing life out there, but I wish I'd found the time to run as well.

Ginny, hope the day goes quickly. The older I get, the more I like having a M-F job. Do not mess with my weekend!

Laura, glad the knee is holding up. Hoping the Saturday work thing doesn't happen for you!

Julie, all your core work will make you a much stronger runner as you start to increase distance. I don't do near enough, and I can tell on long runs. My back will start to hurt. I need to find the time to do more core. I agree with Lisa, you would enjoy DWD. If you're bored sometime, look at the pictures from DWD Hell on my facebook. I can't remember exactly what I titled it, heck I can't even remember for sure what year it was 2010 or 2011, but I can remember not being able to pull myself out of the pit of mud nearly up to my chest without help from fellow runners! RagnarDC is another one to look at - you could stay with me and my team from last year will probably be looking for runners. I offered to be one of their volunteers (if you live within 100 miles of the race your team has to provide 3 volunteers).

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

10.5 miles done.  Did puppy pool.  Now getting a new microwave since ours broke while I was gone.

Of course Lisa found a race.

Ginny I don't like working weekends either.

Hey Laura.

Julie hope the 5 went well.

Karen I think there are lots of trail races everywhere.  I guess there was a 5 and and 10 mile one here today.  One of my neighbors saw me running and asked why I wasn't doing that instead.  Had to explain trails and I don't get along well.

Okay off to Lowes.

Marjorie

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  Well, afternoon!  I did 16 in South Beach this morning.  Cloudy, windy, and mid 50s.  Loved every minute of it.  My hip is now super sore but I assume it's from the sacrum issue (Marjorie would know, I hope).

Lisa, that sounds so wonderful.  Do it, do it, do it!

Ginny, sorry you're stuck at work.  Hope your day there is short!

LC Runs, nice TM run.  Glad the knee is feeling good.  I'm sure all the extra cardio is helping strengthen it.

Julie, enjoy your 5.  Biscotti, hmmmm.

Anonymous, I hope you're out there doing your 15!

Marjorie, enjoy microwave shopping.

Damaris

Anonymous Guest

15 done. Cold and windy, snow flurries at times, but done.

Damaris, that is fabulous weather for you! I bet you were smiling the entire run.

Marjorie, enjoy (?) microwave shopping.

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

8 miles this morning then dd's basketball game. They lost so their season is done... not long until softball although looking outside it seems like it will never come. Was 26 but I neglected to see the feels like of 15 so was underdressed. Man that wind was cold.  Mostly ice free but some shiny spots to avoid along with the unshoveled sections of frozen chunk stuff.  Joys of Michigan running.  Can't wait for the snow to melt and be gone.

Karen-after spending extended period of time running in the cold the body (and mind) is not thrilled with another round.  took me a bit to get over that Fat Ass in -3 run.

Julie-yup, I was confused but it doesn't take much.  I'd suggest taking a look for trail races of the 5k variety.  You sure sound like a trail runner to me.

Ginny-stomp the grapes was fun and they sure treated us well.

LC-would you alternate Saturdays?

Marjorie-what's not to like about trails?  I guess answer would be rocks, roots, and falling.

Damaris-nice 16.Sure didn't feel like South Beach here.

Lisa

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

Karen haha.  Wasn't hard.  Walked in Lowes.  Picked one out.  Waited for guy to fill out paperwork.  Paid and now waiting on the guy to call me to install it as DH and I are not ones to work well together and I'm always afraid that I won't be able to hold it up long enough for him to screw it in as it is above the stove.  And the last one the holes were different than what we had on the one before that so I'd rather have someone that knows what they are doing do it.

D it is sore from the run and the adjustment.  DO YOUR PT!!!

Lisa I love trails, but my clumsy feet don't.  And my ankles are very hyper mobile so they twist easily on uneven surfaces.  I'll stick to roads.  I've done some minor trail work and my feet don't like me when I do it and I've nearly fallen so many times that I'll just stick to the roads for now.  Then with my allergies, running close to blooming things would mean rashes on my arms.  Leaves are fine but blooming bushes and some of the trees that bloom are not good for my arms....

Marjorie

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Could you see my smile from that far?

15 done. Cold and windy, snow flurries at times, but done.

Damaris, that is fabulous weather for you! I bet you were smiling the entire run.

Marjorie, enjoy (?) microwave shopping.

Marjorie, I thought so.  Also, I ran 2 miles in the sand and 6 miles on a wood boardwalk.  Could that be it too?

Damaris

Happy weekend, one and all!

It was a crazy work week as usual, and I have to go back to the office tomorrow.  That means today is chores day... groceries, cleaning, taxes... oh joy.  I ran 9 with my running club today and I'm so happy to be well and running again.   Do any of you use a running coach (maybe Judy, I recall)?  A running club friend is a certified coach and I'm thinking of hiring him to help give my workouts more structure and to advise on nutritional stuff.  Left to my own devices, I get out there and run but don't give much thought to speedwork, cross training, or what I eat.  Any thoughts about running coaches, good or bad?

Just a few random bits and pieces:

Lisa & Tessa, if you guys are running Santa Rosa next year, I'm in too.  I recall it was a nice low key local event.  I did the full one time and a HM one time, but that was a couple years ago.  It think the course might have changed a bit since then but I'm sure it's still pancake flat.  I'll pass on the Grapes of Rock (or Grape so frock, as I initially read the website), as much as I love Bret Michaels.  Joking   Surprised that Competitor Group (Rock 'n Roll events) haven't told them to cease and desist using the word "rock" and guitar logo.

GInny, sorry you're working today.  I'm glad to have one weekend day to myself.  Better than none!

LC, glad your knee is feeling better.  Sounds like you've got a busy day of soccer games ahead of you.

Julie D, fresh biscotti sounds yummy.  I've never done a Ragner relay but sounds like it could be a hoot with a good group of people.  Have a nice date night.

Karen, you're right about trail running in CA -- just in the Bay Area, I can thinking 5 different groups that put on trail running events, often on the same courses (but not at the same time).  One of my goals this year is to get out there more and take advantage of it since the weather is rarely an issue.

Marjorie, I do hear what you're saying about downsides of trail running, especially if your feet/ankles don't like it.  DH has a weak ankle and worries about tweaking it on trails since it gives so easily.  Enjoy that new microwave!

Demaris, nice 16!  Sounds like that was pretty chilly for you, ha ha.  I know you've got the LA marathon coming up -- hoping your sore hip cooperates.

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

Could you see my smile from that far?

Marjorie, I thought so.  Also, I ran 2 miles in the sand and 6 miles on a wood boardwalk.  Could that be it too?

Sand will do it

Marjorie

ginnyb

Had myself all geared up this morning to try and run at least 6 miles this morning, up at 5:30 a.m. and it has snowed again overnight.  I am so depressed!  I am so tired of it and I can't make myself go out in this crap....I still might, but waiting now until it gets light, maybe my mood will improve.  I know there are a lot of you dealing with this winter weather.  I must have that seasonal disorder, because it really, really gets me down...I need some warmth and sunshine!  Darn!!!  I just want to go back to bed, pull the covers over my head and emerge again sometime in May maybe, sometimes May around here isn't even safe.  Yuck!

Laura...I hope you don't have to start working Saturdays.  I know libraries need to be open on weekends, but I just do not like working them.  Thank goodness we aren't open Sundays anymore that was really a bummer.

Sorry to be such a Debbie Downer about the weather!

Ginny

http://ginnybess.blogspot.com/

6/8 Hatfield/McCoy Half, 8/18 lake Erie Shores and Islands Half, 9/21 Mighty Niagara Half Lewiston, NY, 10/7 Cleveland Rock & Roll Half 10/6 or Detroit Free Press 10/20, A Christmas Story 5 or 10K Cleveland 12/7, Santa Hustle Half Cedar Point 12/15

camille2

Hi everyone! I ended up spending a few days at my mom's. She's needed some med changes, so several doc appts and monitoring. By the way, if you ever end up on a few meds, ck for interactions. I finally figured out the new bladder med prob caused an increase in blood levels of her heart med and prob caused the low HR.

I did easy (and boring) runs the last couple days. We had snow yesterday a.m. and again today. March roared in. Hope to do 10 later  so hoping it melts.

Tessa, thanks for the feedback on the flat vs hills. All miles  are just not created equal, so when the plan calls for easy runs.... So scary about your hubby. Were I you, I might tell him no keys even when you're in DC unless he sees a doc-he might feel the need if he knows he'll be stranded. Easy for me to say. : )

Cindy, nice score on the shoes. Mine usu go on sale in the fall with the new models, but I waited too long to look for a second pair.

Lisa, that is the highest price I've seen for a half! Wow! BTW,  I'm loving your planning for races, too. You guys fill in my need for hearing about adventures when I'm in the South.

Laura, glad the knee is better and you can run. I sure hope you don't have to start working Sat! Hard with kids.

Karen, your sig line needs updating. : ) All those new races-it's fun to read your planning. I like the sound of Hoover Dam, but will w ait to see how summer goes. Thanks for the note about Black Mountain course. The elevation is a little less than the Equinox, but except for the one climb of 1800 feet over 3 mi, (which kicks my butt),  the rest is up/down so we get breaks. Did you do your elevated treadmill walks on your easy days? I'm still  looking a bit at Hanson's until it's time to start for Humpy's..

Ginny, how's your mouth? Think I missed the outcome. You've hung in there with running this winter. It's nearly over, so give yourself a break.

Judy, nice that your exercises are improving your arms!

Carol, sorry to read about your bad week. Hope you have a wonderful weekend. I missed Wed weigh in, but this am I am the same. I decided to just take a break at my mom's-different food.  I started tracking Sat though-have 13 days left. : )

Julie,it was fun to read about your swing dancing. Your exercise is very well rounded.

Demaris, hope your hip feels better soon! Your weather sounds great.

Linda, weren't you racing this weekend? Missed you last weekend. Love reading about those speedy miles you do.

Carolyn, how's your weekend?

Gatsby, this is a long answer to your coaching question.  When I first started doing distance, I paid for a month of on-line. The plan was nearly the same plan as in a book, so I didn't renew.

I've also done a couple marathons with TNT (husband died of blood cancer). I know their coaching gets ridiculed on running forums, but we had a great one. He'd won our local marathon a few times and was also a high school coach. Our group was large, so not a lot of personal attention, but we received a good plan and he was available for questions/pointers and did regular talks about training. I loved training with that group/him and would hire him if he did individual coaching. Except for a few he recommended switch to the relay, we all finished a very hard marathon. I don't know if I could have done the Equinox the first time without him.

I also hired an experienced coach/ PT last fall because I was having a few little issues, esp with my knee. I also wanted a push to keep me from turning into a slug over winter. I met with her for an eval and it was quite helpful. She also gave me a plan which got me into training  in Ga. The plan was good (though aggressive) with exact paces to shoot for and exercises. Helpful..

I quit mid Dec for a couple reasons. She's 90 min away and other than the eval, it was on-line. She also doesn't approve of frequent racing and was appalled that I was doing Houston after the Equinox and Ridge to Bridge. I told her I'd taken it easy on them and would go easy in Houston if needed. Reading this type comment each week for 6 weeks got old: "You've left yourself precious little time to get ready for Houston." Another way (my way) of looking at it was that two 26 mi long runs might help the training for Houston. She didn't even like me doing a Turkey Trot, a family tradition. I think she was used to competitive runners who had one goal race and wanted a PR. While I am a little competitive, I'm really more of a social racer.  In addition, the exercise she prescribed made my knee worse and we agreed to stop it. Last, I had a bout of arrythmias and needed to cut back till stress test. I didn't want to pay $$$ when I couldn't do the plan.

I did like her, think she was knowledgeable and if she'd been close, I prob would have put more effort trying to mesh goals and it would have been easier for her to adjust exercises. I'm not sorry I tried her-learned from the eval and  still get her newsletters.

Bottom line: I think coaching can be great. It was most helpful to me when I saw the coach regularly and our goals meshed. My Equinox coach knew I liked races and never yelled at me about them. He just cautioned to run easy for a couple. I'd love to be part of a well coached training group again.

I also think the coach needs more experience/knowledge than you. There is a coach about 30 miles from me, but I know he hasn't been a serious runner much longer than me-he just took a coaching course. I met him at a few training runs and did a speed training group he led. It was fine, but if I'm paying $, I want an expert.

My advice-ask other clients about their plans/philososphy to make sure he's a good fit and check his background. If you decide to use him, tell him you feel you can justify the cost for one or two months. That way you have an easy out if you don't want to continue. Most important, make sure he's OK with your goals.