Womens Running

Moving Along Monday (Over 40) (Read 16 times)

judyruns

Mighty Mouse

Here we go, starting another week. 

Post. We are at our listening station.

Where is the "any" key?   

judyruns

judyruns

Mighty Mouse

Saturday was a difficult moment when I had to explain the reason for the life insurance check to the bank. The teller said that DH had to sign the check and I had to tell her that he had died. I burst into tears. It just hit me at the wrong time. I cannot tell people he died very easily yet. :::sigh:::

Friday I did 45 minutes of cardio DVD at home. Grocery trip accomplished.

Saturday morning I did an hour of yoga DVD. It went better than I thought it would, especially Sun Salutation. Ummm…the next day I did get some twinges from the plank and cobra. Ooops!

Sunday I did 45 minutes running at the track. It was a good run.

Track run today. I am looking forward to it.

Happy runs, All!

Where is the "any" key?   

judyruns

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  Pilates and 4 miles tonight.

Thanks for all the advice about eating during the 50 miler.  I will switch some of my LRs to things like Fig Newtons and nuts and stuff (if I could I would switch to food on the marathons but carrying those might be difficult) and see how they feel.  I used to stop at the house every 5-7 miles during LRs to eat some Fig Newtons, nuts, and Funyuns (don't judge, LOL) while I took my gel, so maybe I can restart that and make sure I can tolerate that.

Judy, nice runs.  Enjoy the track workout later.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Hugs to you, Judy!

Damaris, haha on the Funyuns. Ultra runners eat some funny stuff.

I'm just stalling since I don't want to go to work, boo.  I went to PowerBlast class this morning.  Now back to the salt mines.  Have a great week, everyone.

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

Rest day today. Walked a bit and Pilates later.

Hi everyone

Marjorie

Arimathea

Tessa

Damaris, I third Lisa's and Karen's advice. Eat early and often. Train your stomach on shorter runs. Gels get more stomach turning the longer you're out there.

I have only done two 50 milers, both times chips, peanuts, M&Ms, and citrus were helpful. Popsicles were great at Nanny Goat when it got hot, as was watermelon. I've done plenty of 50Ks and have had similar foods. And Funyuns are a guilty pleasure.

You can carry food on long runs or in races. Shorts with generous pockets or a hydration belt with a pouch are both possible carrying places. I also carry money, even in races, in case I need to stop. Ziploc bags are your friends for carrying food.

Judy, it will get easier as time passes.

Karen, sounds like your DH wanted you to do the race...but if you didn't want to it was better you didn't.

Lisa, interesting path you took back to the car per the app...do you normally run an absolute straight line? *grin*

Hi Marjorie and Gatsby!

Howdy!  Ugh!  Seems like I have been traveling forever!!!  So much to catch up on at work and at home.  Was in Seattle last week for an audit.  Went to Shreveport, LA for a sprint tri over the weekend.  Six hour trip one way, but five of us drove together, so it was fun.  River Cities Tri is Great!  this was my  3rd time to run it, and I PR'd by 6.5 minutes.  I was 5th in my AG, Great course, well organized and supported.  Great swag!!  Got a nice backpack, swim gear bag, ss tech shirt, ls tech shirt, socks, hat and chapstick.  800 yard lake swim/18 mile ride/5k.  Weather was great!  Low 70s at start, maybe 80 by the time I finished.  One year it was close to 100F, so this was nice.

Will try to catch up this week.

Damaris:  Funyuns = SALT!!  yum

Have a great day!

camille2

Judy, hugs.

Demaris, I had to google "Funyuns." : )  I think Lisa gave you good advice on the food. A  marathon coach I had  said repeatedly, "Train your gut,"  wanting for me to try Gatorade, gels, etc.  Mine seemed untrainable at the time, but Newton's worked first then it gradually got better.

Sue, congrats on that big PR and even more on that swag! Sweet.

Tessa, only 2 50 milers?  You are such a star.

Lisa, you passed out in BR floor after your 50?  If I knew  that, I'd forgotten.  Good advice to DR.

Hi Marjorie!

Cindy, being a curious nerd, I tried PubMed for info on exercise induced headaches, but could only find a few abstracts. One that sounded interesting was a tiny 2003 one on icing/cooling the head after running, but I couldn't get full article. If you ask your librarian, they could do a lit search for the full studies.  I thought a regular Google search might bring up a reference to it, but looking quickly, only found this and I know nothing about this writer, so take it with a grain of salt.  http://www.indoorcycleinstructor.com/icipro-instructor-training/icipro-team-member-articles/melissa-marotta/how-to-manage-exercise-induced-headaches/

Karen, you sure deserved a cut back week.

The 15 mi hike planned today didn't happen since it's raining there and we want to do it on a nice day. It's Lost Lake trail, which is site of a yearly trail race that is said to be the prettiest in AK. I tried to get in in 2012 and 2013, but it sold out quickly. Maybe next year.  I'm fishing near there tomorrow so need to run  before I head down there later. Fishing happens rain or shine.  Planning 4 today but I'm sure having trouble getting moving.

Docket_Rocket

Camille, wait, what?  YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT FUNYUNS ARE????? 

The lady at Pilates thinks I'm an elite Pilates person.  Ouch.  I did it but I'm sore.  4 miles after the workout.

And thanks for the ideas/recommendations!

I'll start on my first 18 miler this time around.  Must buy Fig Newtons.  I think the Funyuns will be good due to the salt content.  if only Camille knew what they are....

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

LC Runs

Hi Ladies!

Sorry I have been MIA, was on vacation last week and no wifi.  Kind of nice to disconnect a bit (though not completely, I did use my i phone at times).  Anyhow, I managed to run all but one day - 3 to 4 miles a day.

Oh, I got an email from the race director of that 10k I ran a couple of weeks ago, apparently there were issues with the timing and I actually won my AG, he mailed me the medal and I got it today.  Not sure what happened, my time didn't change but not sure about the woman that was listed in 1st place. 

Back to the work grind today...but, I've switched up my work schedule and started a 4 day week (10 hours/day) M - Th.  Day One went well

Judy - (((hugs)))

Damaris - I missed the race/food discussion, but fig newtons have worked well for me.  I also have made pb sandwiches and cut them into small portions/no crust.  I was able to tolerate GU Chomps during my last marathon, I ate half a pack (4) every hour and my stomach was good.  I drank water at nearly every station.

Gatsby - I definitely decided I like sleeping and not working during my time off.  LOL

Hi Marjorie - enjoy the rest day

Tessa - ***waving*** hi there!!

Sue - GREAT job on the sprint tri!!

Camille - I did a bit of fishing last week, didn't catch anything but was fun on the boat!  Hope you enjoyed that and your 4 miler!

camille2

Demaris, I know what they are now-there's all sorts of valuable info on this forum.    

Laura, congrats on the AG1  They prob had her in wrong group.  Good to have you back! I'll bet you'll love the long weekends.

I did a bit or core work at the Y then did 5.5  miles of exploring this afternoon in a light drizzle.   It was another  creek trail so I looked for salmon in a few spots and picked a couple  raspberries along the way, too.  Met a nice guy who showed me his best two fishing holes, though we didn't see salmon there yet. It took me a long time, but it was fun.

Sorry Funyon aficionados... they fall into the extremely tiny category of food that just doesn't sound appealing to me (shocking that it even exists, I know!).  I just imagine incredible heartburn from them and I haven't even had them.  I did eat an entire bag of Chex Mix Muddy Buddies on the way home from Devil's Lake. Salt, sugar, chocolate and peanut butter.  Yum. It was a 99cent bag not the biggie. I do not judge.

Laura-congrats on the win! and welcome back.

Judy-sorry to hear of your Saturday.  allow people to comfort you.

Rest day for me today.  Will do weights in the morning.

Lisa

camille2

Now Chex mix...I know that one! It always sounds good.