Womens Running

Happy 4th Friday (Over 40) (Read 17 times)

runlikeagirl18

Post!

Cindy

2017 Races: Turkey Strut 5K 11/23, Mistletoe Half Marathon 12/2

runlikeagirl18

Good morning ladies-

Happy 4th of July! No run for me today - it's an SDO. I'll jump on the rebounder and do some light weights. I kind of wish it was a run day - it's cooler with a break in the humidity - but I think it's supposed to be like this tomorrow morning too. DH is headed out to Cincinnati today with DS1 and DS2 to go to a couple of Reds games. DS3 and I will go to the big 4th bash at the pool, then to a friend's house for dinner, then to watch some fireworks. Should be a fun day.

Judy - I'm glad your DH is resting comfortably. My prayers are with you and your DS.

Camille - I LOVED Trixie Belden when I was a girl! The books were set in the Catskills, which is where I grew up. I should see if I can find them for the boys.

Waves to everyone else, and have a great holiday.

Cindy

2017 Races: Turkey Strut 5K 11/23, Mistletoe Half Marathon 12/2

Happy 4th of July!  I'm heading out shortly to meet RC friends for a 5 mile race nearby followed by breakfast at a friend's house.   Then I"ll take care of some chores and watch more soccer.

Carol, hope you had fun at your race today.

Judy, continuing to send thoughts and prayers your way.

Cindy, sounds like a fun day in store for your family.

Hi to everyone else!

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I did 6 miles on the TM last night, Pilates and cycling to and from Pilates this morning.  MLR tonight.

Judy, continued thoughts to you and your family.

Cindy, enjoy the no running day.

Gatsby, hope your run went well.

Have a happy 4th, you all.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

Hi all. Did 6.5 this am. then we brushed the pups and I cut their thick Basset nails the good thing on me playing with their feet so much as pups is they are very cooperative with nail cutting. Basset have sensitive feet so I made sure they were desensitized to humans touching them. As a reward the got doggie ice cream. We don't give it to them often so they were very pleased.

Cindy and Camile I read all the Truxue Belden books too. I finally gave them to a book resale place. They were so pleased to have them. I had big crates full of books and took them there and said here. They were very happy. I didnt take store credit either so they were even more pleased.

Everyone ne have a great 4th

Marjorie

annieSusan

Just back from the neighborhood festivities. The big parade, consisting of a whole gaggle of children on festooned tricycles, bikes, and scooters, circles a one block area, led by anyone who can play a musical instrument. Yes, this band does practice together; for one hour annually, right before the parade. Afterward, there is food, and many child-run games. (Middle school age children painting the faces of toddlers, etc.) The whole thing is quite wonderful. And it is a good chance to reconnect with people from the neighborhood.

Camille, I did not take your comments as a criticism of anyone's values, at all! And I read some of my brothers' Hardy Boy mysteries. I had some Nancy Drew of my own, but what I really loved were a couple of the Anne of Green Gables books and one called (I think) Girl of the Limberlost. Anybody else remember that one?

Ran an some hills yesterday, and it felt good. yay! Today a bit of bike riding; not sure what the rest of the weekend will bring.

good runs to all!

annieSusan

Lookie lookie what I found!  About 3 miles from where we are staying this weekend!  7.4 mile run.  First .5 mile and thus the last also were fairly miserable.  Pretty to look at but buggie and unable to see footing so cut leg and had to walk.

Keep in mind that I was not holding the camera at knee height.  these ferns were waist high.  and that is "the trail" in front of me.  Thank goodness the markings were awesome.  The rest of the trail included pine needle lined sections and lovely moguls and some nice hills.  Really pretty except for this tiresome section.  I had forgotten Ivy Block but picked up Desitin at a convenience store.  Fingers crossed it worked.  Necessity is the mother of invention.  Seemed logical anyway,

Lisa

Back from my race, breakfast, and chores.  In the race today, RC friends took 1st, 3rd and 4th place, and I got 2nd place in my AG (gotta love small hometown races).   So glad for the long weekend... today is only Friday and there are still 2 more days to go, yay.

Damaris, how's your SF marathon training going?

Marjorie, my DH trims our birds' nails and it takes years for them to get used to it and not act like someone is cutting their toes off!

AnnieSusan, sounds like a classic old fashioned 4th of July parade.  Those are the best.

Lisa, looks like a machete could have come in handy on that trail.  Although it might have freaked out anyone you encountered.  Hopefully no ticks?

Waves to everyone else!

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

Docket_Rocket

Gatsby, not sure.  I feel slow, fat, and my asthma has not been nice.  I have been training half on the TM and half outside.  We have hit the triple digit heat indexes all week.  Still, I finally did some speedwork this week on pace and just ran in the mid 90s at a pace I have not been able to hit in two months.  However, I have only done an 18 miler, a 17 and a 20, all super slow.  Not sure if I can run a decent pace (I want a course PR) but I'll finish.  It's just been a tough six month summer, so far.

Since I biked to and from Pilates, and did Pilates, I ran 10, 4 on the TM and 6 outside after the 100F went down.  Lots of exercise today.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Anonymous Guest

Ran a 10K this morning (8.5 miles total with warm up). I did pretty good for me for a hilly course, but a lot of fast chicks showed up and I ended up 7th in my age group. Oh well, it was fun and there were some cool people to hang out with and catch up with after. Then I came home and we've been cleaning ever since. I just put a cake in the oven and then finished cleaning up the kitchen and am finally sitting down to rest.

Tomorrow I have 8 miles on the schedule, and I need to get my butt out of bed at a decent time, because I have Pilates at 11 and want to get the run done before. Because after I have to go to the liquor store, then mop the kitchen and entryway floor and clean the wood floor in the family room. Picking up my $300 worth of free Chipotle food at 5:30,people should start showing up at 6. They are almost all either cyclists racing on Sunday (DH and several of his team mates) or runners in marathon training with long runs to do on Sunday (my running friends), so hopefully it will be an early night.

Gatsby, nice showing at your race.

Cindy, sounds like you all have fun fourth plans.

annieSusan, sounds like a great parade. DH's brother's neighborhood does something like that. They all decorate their golf carts, the kids decorate their bikes and scooters, etc. and they have a little parade through the streets. We enjoyed it when we were there last year.

Lisa, pretty.

Damaris, dang, I thought I was tired until I read your post! Nice day full of workouts - you really take advantage of a day off work.

Marjorie, the thought of your two enjoying their doggie ice cream makes me smile.

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

camille2

Happy 4th! I'll catch up with personals tomorrow.

Gatsby, congrats on your 2nd!  Sounds like a fast club.

Lisa,  watch for snakes! Thode are high bushes!

I spent the day watching the Mt marathon races.  it was a stellar day for us spectators, but warm and bright sunshine for the runners.  We had a great time And are hoping we don't find there was a tragedy in a day or 2.

One bit of exciting news: a 17 year old girl won the juvenile race!  She beat the boys.  : ). I was at bottom of the mountain and she was in second, but friends watching near the finish line said she was smoking him on the street.

i walked miles between RV and races.  I'm beat.