Womens Running

(Over 40) A Fun Friday (Read 176 times)

Arimathea

Tessa

Marjorie, AAA does that for you? Or do you take it to an AAA approved shop?

Unhooking the battery is not complicated for mine, so I've done that a few times. *whistles innocently*

For H-M folks, could someone who is more technologically savvy than I set up a Google group at some point? There's a discussion thread on runango women's as well.

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

Our AAA has a garage mechanics etc all attached to it.  Pretty nice actually.  DH has taken his car there a few times to get the oil done.  The mechanics all work for AAA

Marjorie

Julie_D

Fire Jumper

Okay.... back again.  Maybe I'll remember to hit enter this time!

I just got back from my run around Lake Peachtree.  It was 4.12 miles; longest run to date.  A funny thing happened.  When I got past the 3 mile mark, I kind of got my 2nd wind.  I only stopped because I knew better not to push it.   But, more than that, this was a very special run for me.  I was well over 300 pounds when I moved away from here.  I had never dreamed of running the paths around the lake.  I found myself just marveling that I was actually doing it.  Life can be strange sometimes.  

Ginny - I'm pulling for you with your upcoming race.  I hope that you find a really good running buddy for the race.  I enjoy the social aspects of the races! 

Mel - sounds like you might be in the right place.  We are an over 40 group and are at very, very different places with speed, distance, weight, aspirations... but the thing we all have in common is that we are "mature" runners that want to challenge ourselves and stay healthy..  I am a new runner (started in April) and have struggled with weight all my life.  Running has maybe netted me only a 3 or 4 pound weight loss, but it has changed my body shape significantly.  

LC - jeeze.  You are much heartier than I am.  Brrrrrrr!!!! 

Carolyn - enjoy the concert.  I would love to find a community mass singing of the Messiah.  But, I haven't seen any this year.

Karen - so sorry to hear about the work environment.  I've worked in places that the "job" is fine, but the people are SO difficult.  I'm glad you've got a couple of days to decompress.  And thanks.... LOVING the temps.  Ahhhhh!

Cindy - umm... what exactly does "slowly" mean... lol   I moved up from 3.4 to 4.1 today.  I think maybe a half mile at time is okay?  I'm guessing I should add mileage per week, at not per day, huh?  (oh, maybe I forgot to introduce myself... HI, I'm Julie...I'm Type A!)

Tessa - those sound like super fun fartleks.  Thanks for the ideas.  I had been thinking of them mostly in terms of distances (pole to pole, corner to corner), not necessarily using other fun things.  I like it!

Hello everyone else!  I hope you're having a wonderful FRIDAY!!!  

I'm going to hit enter now..... 

Julie

5K's and Obstacle Runs

Goal for 2013:  10K

Icebreaker Challenge 5K, Girls on the Run 5K, Friehofer's Run for Women 5K, Hero Rush, Warrior Dash Florida, Warrior Dash Eastern NY, Turkey Trot,  Mud Mania, and yet-to-be-decided goal 10K.

Disney freak

Interesting afternoon at work after today’s tragedy.  We had plainclothes “school cops” walking our halls during dismissal.  A little weird.  The city also sent out extra patrol cars to be in the areas of all the schools. 

No exercise today, since I have another 5K in the morning. – a “SDO” as I learned the other day.  I've got all my clothes and gear laid out, ready to go.  It's a 9:00 start, but it's 45 minutes from my house.  And, I need to pick up my race packet in the morning.  They were only offering one race packet pickup location, and it was 45 minutes away also. So I'll probably be leaving around 7:00 am.

Marjorie – hopefully the check engine light wasn’t anything too bad.  I know mine comes on when I forget to put the gas cap back on.  But after I put more gas in and seal it up good, the light goes out after 30 or so miles. edited to add: saw your following post.  Good thing they didn’t charge you!

Judyruns – who is “coach”?

Ginny – if it makes you feel better, I haven’t done ANY Christmas shopping!

Mel – please join us!  Welcome!

Carolyn – where are you getting your tree?  We go to a tree farm and cut one down.  Lots of fun!

JulieD – nice that you have an indoor track.  Where is it?  I need to find one in the area, but not sure where to start looking.

Tessa – Santa/night gear – GREAT idea! 

Lisa Marie

• first 5K on 12/8/12 - 39:14
          • first 10K on 1/12/13 - 1:23:45
          • upcoming races: Hypnotic Donut Dash - 1/26, Hot Chocolate 5K 2/9, Rock n Roll half relay 3/24
          • training for Big D half on 4/14
          runlikeagirl18

Tessa and Marjorie - the ankle/foot feels much better today. I probably could run on it tomorrow, but I'm not going to push it. Tomorrow is jammed packed with activities as it is, so it's a good day to take off.

Ginny - I will probably do the second half as well. Good luck tomorrow, and enjoy.

Julie - the general rule of thumb is to add no more than 10% to your mileage in a week's time. I think you're probably ok adding 1/2 mile to your run, just keep an eye on your mileage week over week.

Lisa-Marie - good luck tomorrow. I'm sure school did feel strange after hearing about the tragedy in CT. My heart breaks for those families.

DS3 seems recovered from the tummy crud; fingers crossed that no one else gets it. DH is at the movies, so I'm about to settle in with some dark chocolate, red wine, and old episodes of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Have a great night-

Cindy

2017 Races: Turkey Strut 5K 11/23, Mistletoe Half Marathon 12/2

Julie_D

Fire Jumper

Lisa-Marie - I found the indoor track at the local college field house.   I happen to be on faculty at the college. so I have privileges   However, I'll tell you honestly - I have NEVER seen anyone check ID's.   If I weren't on faculty, I'd probably go with the "easier to get forgiveness than permission" theory.  

And... I give.  I don't know what SDO is.

Thanks Cindy!   1/2 a mile didn't seem extreme to me either.  It's supposed to be beautiful again tomorrow.  So, I hope to get out for another run.  I'll find a new set of trails.  Running tourism is fun! Smile

I'm still loving my Garmin!!  It was fun too look at my heart rate and pace today, with the elevations in the mix.  fascinating. 

g'nite

Julie

5K's and Obstacle Runs

Icebreaker Challenge 5K, Girls on the Run 5K, Friehofer's Run for Women 5K, Hero Rush, Warrior Dash Florida, Warrior Dash Eastern NY, Turkey Trot,  Mud Mania, and yet-to-be-decided goal 10K.

runlikeagirl18

Julie - SDO = scheduled day off. Some folks also refer to it as SRD = scheduled rest day.

Cindy

2017 Races: Turkey Strut 5K 11/23, Mistletoe Half Marathon 12/2

Julie_D

Fire Jumper

Cindy - Many thanks!   

Julie

5K's and Obstacle Runs