Womens Running

Yaaaaaaaaaaaay! It's Friday! (Over 40) (Read 20 times)

judyruns

Mighty Mouse

Post. Smile

Where is the "any" key?   

judyruns

judyruns

Mighty Mouse

Anonymous Guest, I am terribly sorry about your cyclist friend who died.

Thursday I did 35 minutes with music on the track. Cardio DVD for 30 minutes after I got home.

My goal as a 70 year old woman is to run until the day I die. That means running smart. Cardio DVD is Leslie Sansone’s Ultimate 5 day walk plan. The walking is actually power walking or marching. I have several of her DVDs. I was looking for something weight bearing, cardio, but not slamming down on the legs. I run 6 days a week, minimum 35 minutes. Then I continue cardio at home.

Happy runs, All!  :::HUGS:::

Where is the "any" key?   

judyruns

Judy-Mine too..that's why a little speed bump like meniscus surgery in the long trail of life isn't anything to worry about. (repeating often in head) We have to pace our self. Like on those trails that I love that means fairly consistent effort throughout. The terrain changes, trees block our way, hills are steeply pitched up or pitched down, vistas take our breath away and the minutes/hours/miles already traveled do impact us so we continue forward but adjust our pace in response to those changes. Consistent effort is what ALWAYS gets us to those patiently waiting for us on the other side of that finish line.  Consistent effort also means that we get to enjoy the view along the way. Most importantly it means that we have acknowledged the obstacles, the more difficult as well as the beautiful parts, and the time/distance already traveled and respect them all.

Forward relentless motion!

And with that in mind today. I believe that I am going to head in early and try, at a slow pace, the bike and/or elliptical at work. After work is restorative yoga.

DD's first days in high school are done the mornings didn't hit me . Wed was only Frosh for a few hours of ice breakers and orientation. Thurs was half day running through class schedule with Frosh and Soph's (who started an hour later). As we drove up to the school the Freshman Link student group was lining the street and parking lot cheering the cars on with signs ("freshman are friends, not food" "honk if you love Frosh" etc.) and part of the marching band was at the school entrance along with the staff just cheering away. Was very cool for them.

I went to honk my horn but dd's hand was there to stop me in a flash (quick reflexes) with a "Don't you dare" delivered with ice. I joked on FB that I was in fear of further knee damage if I knocked. She looks sweet in her first day of high school picture but Tonya Harding probably did too at age 13. Of course dd is nervous and worried about making friends. going from a class of 17 to one of over 200.

Last night they had Frosh Slosh. 2 hour dance/mixer for just their freshman class. Driving there I remembered taking older dd's to their Frosh Sloshes and got a bit misty eyed. Just hit me how quickly these next 4 years will FLY by and how quickly MY little girl will be gone. Not that any of them were ever really MINE but it just hits you sometimes how you spend so many years feeling utter responsibility and control over them and then poof. you realize that they never really were yours to feel that way about in the first place. Guess I have 4 years to get used to the idea of independent woman Kaite. Pretty sure that she will be helping me along the way mightily.

Like that trail of life...after the rough first few miles when we question what we're doing, comes the part where we think we can do anything and everything. Where we risk going way to fast and being reckless. I'm just happy to still be on the trail with her and moving forward!

Have a great day ladies!

Lisa

Bikerchick1

Morning Ladies,

Judy - Very smart training for you...running smart and running long into life is a great thing Smile

Lisa - I know that "patience is a virtue"....but I have to agree with Marjorie & Camille.....if this knee doesn't come around very soon, I would be asking (demanding) PT.  Your work environment sounds great.....being crazy busy and working hard is not the hard part of a job, it is the "toxic work vibe" that gets us all.  Love the personality testing, helps to know what people tick, and realize that we are all not the same, and there are reasons people are different.  Yours was spot on Smile

Camille - Good to hear from you!  Sorry about the health difficulties...

Karen - That is tragic about the cyclist/runner.....as Lisa said "in the blink of the eye"....one never knows, good lesson to live life to the fullest.

Damarias - We were twin runners....I did 8 in the am 5 in the pm....all hot and humid...not 100, but for me H&H.

Marjorie - Hope you are enjoying your cutback week.  I loved Damarias description of returning to your WTF miles..hahahaha...that made me laugh.

LCruns - Have a great run at The Crim!!!!  Weather looks great.  I would def. be there if not leaving for vacation.  I see they are having pacers this year!

Did 13 hot/humid/sloggy miles yesterday...ugh.  the I dropped something on my ankle yesterday, last night it hurt and was swollen, glad I had my run in.

Carol

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

11.1 miles. I nearly fell. It was dark so no one saw me trip and nearly hit the pavement.

Damaris is right I will return to my wtf miles next week. Shot I will still be over 50 for this week. I'm still crazy

Lisa I'm sure Katie was very quick to stop you. Take it easy on the bike.

Karen that poor cyclist and family!

Carol poor ankle!  Hope it is better.

Off to the airport.

Marjorie

Putzed around too long. No bike for me. Maybe lunch. It seems to respond well to those mobility exercises vs weight bearing cardio so will try doing leg lift type of things throughout day to keep it from getting stiff. If not feeling different by next week will start pushing for the PT.

Lisa

Tar Heel Mom

kween

Good morning, ladies, been so busy. I cannot believe our high holidays are less than 2 weeks away, so I have had to do our September issue very early. Still been running though and i am doing a 10K tomorrow morning.

Karen, so sad about the cyclist. I am one of the worst for complaining about bikers on the road, but who tries to pass anyone or anything on a blind hill? Just so sad and needless.

Lisa, how is the bending of the knee? If it is still difficult to bend fully, you might ask your ortho about the fluid issue. I know that was the problem with my right knee.

Sorry I have not been keeping up with everyone. Marjorie, what is going on with your miles? Have you been injured? I hope not!

I will try to catch up soon. I feel so out of the loop!

Nolite te bastardes carborundum.

Good Morning!!!  Swam 2000 yards this morning.  Almost put antibiotic ointment in my hair in the shower--gotta clean out my gym bag!

Yesterday afternoon I cut the grass.  Yay!!!  It has rained so much it is a challenge to get it cut.  When I finished it was thundering.  Didn't rain at my house yesterday, but this morning it poured.  I am smiling because my grass is cut.  Yes, I am weird.

Karen--so sorry about your friend.  That is a big worry for all cyclists, to be struck by some idiot.

Lisa--yes, I would call the PT.

Wow Damaris--13 miles!  You rock.  I am having a hard time in the heat and humidity.

Have a great day!

ginnyb

Good morning,

Lisa...I don't think my work environment will improve until our director retires, which will probably be after I retire.  We have had numerous personality tests here, but they never do anything with the information.  Anyway, it is not us peon's that don't get along,   it is upper management who drives us all crazy.  Those 4 years of high school were the fastest for my children too.  I tell my DD and D-Inlaw that once they hit high school the time just disappears.  Already my GD is a senior.  My 2 10 year old GD's are spending the night tonite...should be fun..then soccer tomorrow and softball again on Sunday.

As of today, I feel no ill effects from my run on Sunday, so will be running sometime this weekend.  Next Half is Sept. 20.

Amy you missed my PR!!!  Glad you posted today.

Karen...so sad about your friend,  How are you doing today?

Judy....I hope to run until the day I die too!  I also use the Leslie Sanson DVD's, but more often in the winter.

Now that it is almost September we are getting our summer weather.  Feels good, but why so late????  Oh well, I will just enjoy.

ginny

http://ginnybess.blogspot.com/

6/8 Hatfield/McCoy Half, 8/18 lake Erie Shores and Islands Half, 9/21 Mighty Niagara Half Lewiston, NY, 10/7 Cleveland Rock & Roll Half 10/6 or Detroit Free Press 10/20, A Christmas Story 5 or 10K Cleveland 12/7, Santa Hustle Half Cedar Point 12/15

LC Runs

Hi Ladies!  I am off today and Monday, thank goodness.  Probably taking the kids for some school shopping before heading out of town this evening.  Running a 10 mile race tomorrow.

5.3 easy miles this am.

Judy - I think that is a goal you can easily achieve, and it will be another 30+ years until that day comes!!

Lisa - really interesting info about your job and coworkers personalities.  Makes a lot of sense.  My office(s) are more like the Hunger Games, killing each other off until only one survives ha ha

Carol - I read that about the pacers.  May try and hook up with the 8:30 person, my PR is 1:24 and that would be a 1:25 race.  Wonder if that means there are no waves this year, I liked that too.  Have a great vacation!

Marjorie - if it makes you feel better, I nearly tripped over some weeds today, and it was in daylight lol

Hi Tar Heel - good luck at the 10k tomorrow!!

Sue - I like cutting the grass, too. But, BF doesn't think I do it as well as he does, so he takes care of it.  Guess it's one less thing to deal with lol

Karen - so very sad about your friend.  I am afraid to ride my bike on the road because of idiot drivers.

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

Amy no, not injured.  Just a cut back week.

Laura, ha.  I do that too. I trip on just about everything.  When I run, I'm so careful.  But this time I caught an uneven area on the sidewalk

Marjorie

Laura--DS2 just doesn't DO IT when I want it cut, so I decided that since I wanted it cut RIGHT NOW (because it is already tall and finally dry enough to cut) I would get it done.  Today it is raining.  Good call.

Lucky you--I would love to have another human do share some of the chores with me.

Smile

camille2

Lisa, thanks for the kind offer, but I wanted to do the tunnel and after the race go to Niagra Falls for a day or two, so I think I'll just try it another year. I really wish we didn't have to sign up so far ahead for races.  : ) Enjoy Katie's high school years!

Laura, good luck at Crim!

Ginny, congrats on your pr!

Hi to everyone else!

Tar Heel Mom

kween

Ginny, I saw your PR on FB. It was awesome! You should be very proud.

Sue, I love when it rains on fresh cut grass and now you won't have to water either. But we don't have a lawn anymore, so that is even better.

Nolite te bastardes carborundum.

ginnyb

A previous coworker came in the library today and she is a runner.  Oh my gosh, she had a scab on her lip, chin was banged up, numerous cuts and abrasions and her arm in a cast.  She fell running!  Her arm isn't broken but she broke one finger badly and they had to pin it together.  I hurt just looking at her.  She said she was just running along and then wasn't!  Just like we all have done, but she really did a job on herself.   I know we can't dwell on accidents like this, but be careful out there!!!  She said the thing she is most mad about are the people who say  "  see, you just shouldn't run"  and "that's what you get for exercising"   Sheesh!  People are just ashamed because they aren't out there doing it!

Ginny

http://ginnybess.blogspot.com/

6/8 Hatfield/McCoy Half, 8/18 lake Erie Shores and Islands Half, 9/21 Mighty Niagara Half Lewiston, NY, 10/7 Cleveland Rock & Roll Half 10/6 or Detroit Free Press 10/20, A Christmas Story 5 or 10K Cleveland 12/7, Santa Hustle Half Cedar Point 12/15