Womens Running

Positive Vibes THURSDAYS (DAILIES) (Read 19 times)

Docket_Rocket

Afternoon!  Sorry I didn't check in earlier, but my PC at work has had some issues working from home so I've spent most of the day turning it on and off trying to get into the secured system.  Anyway, ran 4 outside this morning in 38F and super windy and I have Pilates and weights tonight.

Lizzie, hope you enjoyed your rest day.  Ugh, Mammel!

Susan, if you have your Garmin on at the time of the run, you don't need the phone as you can just upload it to Strava later or it will upload automatically once you hook your Garmin to your computer.

Laura, nice mile and weights.

Sandy, it feels so strange, ha.  Nice yoga workout.

Judy, hope you enjoyed the gym.

Ginny, hi!  Yay for Cleveland.

Tessa, ugh at your fall!  Hope it wasn't too bad.

Cathy, enjoy the rest day.

Kathryn, hope the surfing continues (rather than work).

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Half Crazy K 2.0

Got the day off work for a whole inch of snow. Now waiting to see if I need to go in tomorrow. We follow Baltimore City schools for most inclement weather closings (we don't for heat since our building has air conditioning); there has been all sorts of bickering in the city about closing due to the cold due to many of their buildings having issues. Did a strength training DVD this morning & 6.4 outside this afternoon. There better be a great prize for the Strava challenge, that's the only reason I ran outside.

Lizzie, aside from staring at a white wall, having a treadmill is nice. Not sure traxx will work if your snow is anything like ours. In many spots, we have bare sidewalks due to the blowing snow. There were a few spots with drifts on the sidewalks, but it is so inconsistent.

CrazySue, I use the free version of Strava. I got it initially to try to get the free shoes in 2016. I have my waist pack & phone under my tops (had 3 on today). Seems like the phone works ok.

LCRuns, our windchills are no where near yours, but people are screaming for the schools to close here.

Seloc, I think you have to go to south Florida for warmth. Although maybe our 20 degree high & 5 low would feel warm about now? I know yesterday it was 30 when I left work and it almost felt nice.

Judyrun, nice that you have access to new treadmills and a track.

Turtles, I was thinking about the challenge when I was outside--I hope this isn't a way to get rid of the see-through tights from a few years ago.

Arimathea, with snow, MD has snow emergency plans. Ours are tiered, but it typically means unless you have good reason to be out, you need to stay off the roads. Somehow the media are exempt from that and feel the need to drive around showing people how bad the roads are.

Ginny, I don't mind the treadmill--I don't listen to music outside, so it's a nice change.

KatS, hopefully your day picks up.

Docket, are people in Miami freaking out about those temps?

Arimathea

Tessa

Liz, congratulations on the new treadmill, and I've learned always to take my laptop home. I don't like not having it with me.

Glad to hear you will be running at home. I was worried about you in the cold and the dark.

Cathy, I don't think a dry home would work for us. It's a lot cheaper to buy wine to have at home and make it a rule to say "water, please" when we're going out, unless it's a special occasion -- ie don't just order wine because we're out to dinner.

Ginny, he's 20. He can run faster. But you are older and wiser and you are running which is more than many of your peers can say! Good idea to walk the stacks every so often.

Kat, I haven't had a problem with carrying the phone next to my skin, but it is in a Lifeproof case. If a phone is not in a water resistant case, then the low-tech method of putting it in a plastic sandwich bag works just fine.

I took ice skating for PE in college! And I can still skate.

Arimathea

Tessa

Damaris, massive bruise on my right elbow, but not that bad. 38 degrees? In Miami? You need to change your tag line!

Kupcakes, what kind of issues do the buildings have? Makes sense to follow the schools' lead since presumably a lot of working people have kids who they would need to stay home with if the kids are off school.

Doesn't surprise me that the media think they are exempt from weather warnings. Like the obligatory shot every time there's a hurricane coming in, with the anchor standing on the seawall in front of palm trees bending sideways telling everyone "stay away from the ocean!" and you think "listen to your own advice, then, dear!" and expect the anchor to be caught in a big wave and pulled out to sea any second.

6.33 on the TM. Progression run. So far so good on the eating and not drinking.

judyruns

Mighty Mouse

Lizzie, yaaaaaaaaaaaaay on your treadmill ! I am so excited for you. Our wind chill is supposed to be -21° tonight. 

Where is the "any" key?   

judyruns

Half Crazy K 2.0

Arimathea, a lot of the city school buildings are old. According to the news, 1/3 have some type of issue--mainly no heat, poor heat, no hot water, etc. It's rare that we have this many days below freezing, so any issues are really obvious. I also work in a school, we serve kids from all over the Baltimore/DC metro area, but since we're in the city, that's why we follow their lead for closings.

Anonymous Guest

6 miles for me today. Still windy, still 50s. It was tougher than it should have been because I was kinda underfueled - not a big fan of dinner last night. When I finished they were waiting for me to order Chinese food, so now I"m feeling a little overfueled.

Liz, Mammal is an ass. I would totally ignore his comments about the weather and WFH if there were flurries in the air, much less anything on the ground. There's nothing cool or tough or badass about coming into the office when the roads are bad. Congrats on the TM!

Susan, on the Strava/Garmin sync issue, have you tried using a computer or just using the app? One may work better than the other. I have the free version, I think DH has the paid version, but I don't really see what good the paid version would do me.

On the lulu challenge, last year I got a short sleeve shirt for the 40k and a pair of the speed shorts for the 80k. I wear the speed shorts most of the time - most I bought on the "we made too much" sale page, so they are funky patterns. For the challenge they told me I could pick any they had in my size, so I just got black. Can't say what the will do this year, can't even guarantee they will do anything (but an employee in my running club has said they are giving something good), but I figure what do we have to lose.

Tessa, ouch on the fall. Glad it doesn't seem to be too bad and you are still able to run.

Hi to all, last night in FL so still hot able to spend a lot of time online. We did go and see manatees and out to lunch today, which was better than TV.

karen

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel