Womens Running

Wacky Weather Weekend! (over 40) (Read 18 times)

Anonymous Guest

Karen - We're looking at walking for a minute or 90 seconds at each water stop. Water stops are every 2 miles for the first 20 and every mile thereafter. Definitely planning on doing them from the start.

That sounds smart.

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

Happy Sunday!  Easy 6 mile run with a RC friend.  He's running a 100 miler next weekend (Rio Del Lago, near Auburn CA) and I'm crewing for him, so we discussed strategy on our run.  Two other RC friends qualified for Western States this weekend at Javelina (in AZ) so I'm happy for them, knowing how important it was to them.  Will watch the 49ers on TV this afternoon and take care of some chores.

Damaris, hope you had a great day at NYCM!  MTA: just saw on FB that your asthma and conditions conspired against you.  Sorry it was not your day but glad you're okay!

Shadow, well done on your HM yesterday!  Power hiking up hills is a great strategy.  Looks cold in your pic but what a nice food spread at the end.

Ginny, woohoo!  Congratulations to your GD and her team!  You should brag -- that's quite an accomplishment for her.

Karen, nice race yesterday!  I love NYCM and will probably enter the lottery, but not holding my breath on getting in.

RunnersMom, those are some funny Halloween costumes!  I gave my nephew some stuffed microbes for Christmas one year (can't remember exactly which ones but no STDs!) and he loved them.

Marjorie, nice miles.  Glad it's warming up for you this week.

Cindy, I've never done walk/run for a race but know many others who do it successfully.  Hope the taper goes smoothly.

Lisa, looks like your office had fun at Halloween judging from the FB pics you posted.  Nope, I'm not quitting my day job any time soon to earn a living from running.

Camille, funny that we all have real names but sometimes don't use them.  I'm Margaret,  I think of you as Camille but I recall you are actually Cathy?  This is a big month for WS since the last qualifier was this weekend then registration for the race lottery opens next week.  Our running club's lottery for our race slot is on 11/12, which is a big deal (we get one slot to give away as we see fit since we put on an aid station).

Enjoy the rest of the weekend everyone!

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

Cindy-FWIW my best marathon was my first, I did a run/walk because I was afraid of what was going to happen at the end.  I ran a negative split too.  I have not since then.  I also have yet to think "boy, I wish I hadn't gone out that slow" after a marathon. But have certainly thought "why didn't I go out slower?"  You can always speed up if you're feeling like you're going too slow once you hit the half way point.  Saw your second post.. that might be stretched out too much to have much of a benefit to walk every two miles.  I would say to go by time vs miles.. maybe every 10-15 minutes?

Ginny-that is awesome!!! She should be very proud.  She's such an inspiration too!  I'm going to try again for NYCM.  I don't know if they do the 3 tries and in thing anymore.  Looking at how to qualify / get in and I didn't see that.  I have found a marathon that I'm very serious about doing next fall and you should consider it too. http://www.desplainesrivertrailraces.com/ It's a trail that winds along a river but very little elevation change. There is a half, full, and a 50 miler, because of this the marathon has a 10.5 time cut off.  My friend Katie has run on this trail many times and she said it is dirt trail but not at all technical.  The elevation changes are likely where there are bridges.  She said it is pretty.  30 minutes from downtown Chicago and with the race being on a Saturday I could easily work it into a work trip with me driving. I would use it for Illinois and maybe to go for a PR.  If you're considering another full this looks like a good one.  Not until next October so time to think about it.

Shadow-congrats on the hilly half!  Yum... apple crisp after a race! big long hills are not easy for us flat landers.  Nice!

Karen-I am going to put my name into the lottery.  I'd bake it into a work trip.  It's the only road full that I am interested in doing.  Love NY and it would be soooo cool to run through the boroughs.  You could stay with me!

Gatsby - sure was a big month for WS... kept seeing ultra friends celebrating qualifying.  Are you crewing the entire 100 or taking shifts with others?  It is amazing what happens to people during the event.. very smart to talk out strategy ahead of time because they will lie/forget about what they want or don't want and you have to do the thinking for them.

Marjorie-glad to hear it's warming up... DH was surprised that I was going for a run this morning (25 degrees).  Reminded him that I can't exactly wait for the next 50 degree day now can I.  LOL

Ran 9.25 trail miles today on different trails.  Parking lot full when I arrived.. mountain bikers. Sigh.. knew I'd be spending a lot of time stepping off of the trail.  Saw a few unusual things.. had 2 bikers come up behind me that I flagged down and got turned around.  I run against bike traffic. They would have been in serious trouble if the came headon to other bikers.  They said they were new to the trails. (figured that) We were on the blue loop; I pointed the other direction and told them they needed to go that way.  They asked me which direction to go on the yellow loop.  I stood there thinking is this a trick question?  "Um, since we're not on the yellow loop I can't point which direction to go."    Also saw a one armed trail runner, a tandem mountain bike (no clue how that works on the hairpin turns), and 2 runners wearing their Boston Marathon coats.  My thought was that if I earned one of those I sure as heck wouldn't be wearing it on a training run on a trail on a day where there a ton of mountain bikers out.

Have a good rest of the evening!

Lisa