Womens Running

HAPPY NEW YEAR 2018 Monday Dailies (Read 20 times)

Half Crazy K 2.0

GatsbyBird, the big fireworks are not legal here. But since the cops have more pressing things on NYE, people go nuts. Apparently the law changed at the end of 2017, but it used to be that stores in PA were only allowed to sell the huge fireworks to out of state customers. I live about 40 minutes from the PA line--there are fireworks stores at pretty much every road into PA. Now PA residents can legally buy them, so they can also annoy their neighbors.

Arimathea

Tessa

Laura, good luck with the short staffing. Nobody wants to work for the agency?

High of zero? And I presume that is in F not in C?

Kupcakes, it seems like everyone except me and Damaris has  cold weather...

Good Lord, Damaris. If I'd known you were doing that, I'd have sent over DS and DSBF and the 10 pound sledge we bought to break up the driveway. How are you breaking concrete and not breaking the tile as well? Yes, it is definitely therapeutic to smash things into fragments.

Margaret, sorry you are waitlisted for Tahoe Rim Trail. How fast does that one fill? And when is your birthday? (Since we got together to celebrate Karen's birthday, would you be wanting to have a gathering also?)

Me too on the back to work tomorrow.

Arimathea

Tessa

Kupcakes, that sounds wrong. Not that you are mistaken, but that the thinking is misguided. They could sell the big bad fireworks only to out of state customers?

Fireworks are mostly banned here, but in some of the counties here "safe and sane" fireworks may be sold  only during the period leading up to 4th of July and only as fund raisers for nonprofits, like school sports teams and Scouts, and if the municipality permits fireworks sales.  No residency requirement so people in counties where they're illegal go and stock up. And of course if you drive into Nevada there are a lot more on offer.

That did not stop our neighbors from setting off lots of fireworks last night.  And someone's dog ran off so there was a "lost dog" post on Nextdoor. I looked at the address. This is the same house that DD and I returned a dog to on Christmas Day. Different dog. Also no tags. Dog has been found and returned but I am tempted to make a snarky comment about "please put collars and tags on your dogs" to these new neighbors.

Cooking, however, is achieved. Big batch of split pea soup and a batch of seitan in sauce are now in the fridge. So far so good on the alcohol avoidance, we'll see how it goes this week.

Margaret, sorry you are waitlisted for Tahoe Rim Trail. How fast does that one fill? And when is your birthday? (Since we got together to celebrate Karen's birthday, would you be wanting to have a gathering also?)

TRT is a lottery for all distances. For the 50, they picked 225 names and the remaining 96 of us are on the waitlist (but it’s not clear who is where on the waitlist since the list is alphabetical — a little odd but I’m assuming they’ll sort it out soon). TRT is the day after my birthday so it seemed fitting, and it may yet happen. I’m going to train like I’m doing it and will sign up for another (less in-demand) 50 in the summer or fall if TRT doesn’t pan out.

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR