Womens Running

Remembrance Tuesdays (DAILIES) (Read 20 times)

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

I have friends that have the Garmin FR235 and they really like it, it has the wrist based HR.  One of my friends has that and the Fitbit Blaze and he usually wears the Garmin.  The chest strap works better for catching quick changes in HR, like when doing intervals.  Some of my friends use the chest 

Not sure why your strap for the Garmin wouldn't work, I have the FR230 and previously the 220 and had no issues with the chest strap HR.

I have the old clunky chunky orange garmin. 305? Anyway I've had the garmin for years now and never used the monitor . I figured it probably just needed a new battery but it still wouldn't pick up my heart rate although it will pick up nearby athletes who are wearing one so either I'm doing something wrong (a very real scenario) or it's just crapped out.  Honestly I just prefer to run by feel so I probably shouldn't bother with one since I'm too old to bother trying to get faster and am naturally a very slow runner.  It's just that these heart tests have been scaring me. Maybe a Fitbit will be best until my garmin watch conks out and then I will look into a new one with a wrist option.

Thank you!!!!!!!

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**

RTurtles

Running with the Turtles

I have the old clunky chunky orange garmin. 305? Anyway I've had the garmin for years now and never used the monitor . I figured it probably just needed a new battery but it still wouldn't pick up my heart rate although it will pick up nearby athletes who are wearing one so either I'm doing something wrong (a very real scenario) or it's just crapped out.  Honestly I just prefer to run by feel so I probably shouldn't bother with one since I'm too old to bother trying to get faster and am naturally a very slow runner.  It's just that these heart tests have been scaring me. Maybe a Fitbit will be best until my garmin watch conks out and then I will look into a new one with a wrist option.

Thank you!!!!!!!

I have the Fitbit Alta for everyday wear, it's nice because it's not big and clunky.  I wear it pretty much 24/7 (except when I'm running).  The newer model, the Alta HR has the wrist HR.

Docket_Rocket

Before I forget....I know some of you use heart rate training. I've never but what with all the scare I'm going through with heart testing I'm thinking I should monitor it. Because I'm NOT going to quit my long distances. My chest strap for my garmin just won't work. Not sure why. I know they're the best to use vs. watch varieties but I'm open to all suggestions on what to use. I'm also open to using a Fitbit style one where I can monitor it 24/7 but iif I'm going to splurge I want to splurge on something good vs. crap. Suggestions?

I use a TomTom instead of the Garmin because the optical HRs on the Garmins are really a POS.  Unfortunately, it looks like TomTom has stopped making running watches (good thing I have 4 waiting for me for the next 20 years, lol).  So, if you use the Garmin optical HR, I wouldn't trust it 100%.

For my race, it had me at 217 HR most of the race in UT.  My Max is 196 (tested). 

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

I have a Fitbit Charge 2 HR and I monitor my resting HR, sleep, and that's it.  The TomTom is what I use for running and monitoring with its optical HR but I wear both while running. Both have excellent optical HR technology, BTW, from what I have read.  Way above the Garmin one.  So, if that's all you want from the optical HR, I would go with the Fitbit instead of the Garmin and buy a Garmin without it.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Liz-Right knee (the original bad knee) was quite achy all day Saturday. Those kind of speedy runs (must get to potty) aren't fun! Taper week for you! Woot!

Karen-"the magic of the kitchen"... LOL We all figure that one out, don't we? Hope you get your cool weather!

Sandy-actually no chafing. I wore the tank under the bra so that helped. No blisters either. Kind of got a callous but not a blister. I almost feel like I cheated or something. I may try a very easy run tomorrow but all is well. Climbing up and down stairs yesterday even at the baseball game without holding the railings. Perhaps I've found a niche... really slow for really long. And the "crappy ass run" is what makes you able to finish long races. You've been there before and all was fine.

Kat-yeah for the battery being no charge!! You may be surprised though about the applicant thing. I've hired people who had prior commitments and took time off without pay soon after starting. Or I've held off on start date but locked it in. I'd say that if you see something to apply to it. When they ask about availability then you let them know that you do have a pre-paid trip already in the plans but other than those dates are ready to go.

Damaris-hope you can sleep tonight. That sucks.

Cathy-I am going to be looking to do a couple 50's, another 100k, and a 24 hour race over the next year or so. Will remember your S'mores one! Cute name. 3mile loop is pretty short though but makes sense for that sort of event. I think we will start to see more of these type of events. They are way more social and easier to manage. Very conducive to training for a longer event plus gives older or slower runners a way to compete side by side with the fasties. I think I do fairly well in the dark on runs. Katie asked me a few times why I was running up a hill. It's harder to tell they are there in the dark. LOL

Lori-nice walking today! I know nothing about heart rate monitors. Could it be loose so not picking up signal? Wait.. it was picking up other people's heart rates? How do you know that it wasn't yours? 

Going to yoga tonight. That's about it.

Lisa

Lizziebeerunning

Cupcake Connoisseur

Karen – I am laughing at Riley. He is energized now. That’s so cute. Have a good hill workout!

Run4kupcakes – Oh yikes, I didn’t think about the rain we have already gotten this year.

Sandy – Nice crappy run this morning. Wonder why it felt so bad? Did you eat good yesterday? YAY FOR COOLER WEATHER! See, my naked patio sunbathing may really happen. You are exactly right about the meeting – I would be so stressed about getting to work on time. Not so worried about it now. I did find my French Toast bread!! HCF was looking for batteries this morning, he had to go to 4 different stores! He ended up finding some on some random shelf in Walmart. He told me all of the stores were out of bread and water already. Crazy! I always find it best to do my last minute shopping the day OF the storm.  Smile No crowds. You got the 18, girl! Okay, we will be getting up at the same time. I may actually try for a little earlier. OH the mountain lion scared the shit outta me AGAIN this morning. What does this cat want?! WTF. Lurks in the shadows waiting for me.

Kathryn – GREAT news on the car! WOOT WOOT!!!What about the lead you got job wise before you left?? We are going with my family..supposed to leave on Saturday. Not sure what we are doing about that yet.

Docket – UGH. Sorry about the sleep! I always say I will go to bed extra early and it never happens. Have you tried zzquil? I have to take it every night. It helps!

Cathy – Nice speed workout this morning! Running in the fog is creepy, isn’t it? I almost tripped in a pot hole this morning. Its so damn dark that early! Hey, those projects do sound fun Smile Especially the flooring and finishing the basement! Ugh, 54 degrees? Get outta here.  Smile We aren’t out of the woods yet with Florence. We still are getting 40-50mph winds and lots of rain. But they were calling for much worse yesterday. Who knows until it actually gets here. I can understand your co-workers hesitance!! It sounds like he is staying in shape in case he decides to sign up. Hope you get some better sleep tonight!

Lori – Good luck tackling Bertha today!!

Lisa – No chafing?! No blisters?! You are super human.

Off to body pump soon. My mom arranged a "conference call" this evening to discuss vacation. We will see!

Have a good afternoon!

October 4 - Milwaukee, WI - 26.2

November 14 - Richmond, VA - 26.2

March 21 - Virginia Beach, VA - 26.2

Anonymous Guest

I need a nap, but I want to enjoy this nice quiet time. Both dogs are sleeping. Huck in the kitchen between pantry door and bowl, Riley at my feet. I ended up running a total of 9 miles this morning. 1/2 mile with Riley, then another 2.5. In for a puppy check and he was just waking up, so took him out back, he peed. Then he came in and went right back to sleep so I went out for more. Ran 4, came in and checked, still sleeping. 2 more and came in to crying puppy, so I got him out of solitary and called it a day. Unless I go to the hill workout. Then lots of playing, puppy lunch, more playing and now, blessed sleeping.

Sandy, got my bib number for TCM today, woohoo! Would you believe I've never actually played Scrabble? I love playing games, played lots of card games growing up, am pretty damn good at Boggle, which also involves making words, but never played Scrabble. Hmm, if everyone else has Something in the Water on the list, guess I better get on the waiting list at my library (at least I assume it will be a waiting list).

Kathryn, hooray for new battery and even more so for being under warranty. I have to admit after DH being on vacation all last week and Huckleberry pretty much disrupting normal life, I didn't even realize you were on the wrong day. I did think of you yesterday when I took the puppy in for his initial vet visit. One of the vet techs took him back so everyone could see him and I could hear them all oohing and aaahing over him and his name. I was remembering you saying you didn't get a lot of Huckleberrys coming through.

Damaris, if you're going to not sleep, you want to come up here and let the puppy out every couple hours?

Cathy, nice run this morning, especially in the dark. Dang, nice run for fast coworker.

Lori, my DH quit using his chest strap HRM for several years and decided to start using it again recently. His didn't work either, replaced the battery, cleaned it up, nothing. He ended up buying a new strap and it works fine. I have the Garmin 235. The first one would do a lot of weird stuff and I didn't feel like I could trust it. Finally I emailed one of the weirder runs to Garmin support and they agreed that it wasn't working right and replaced it. It was already out of warranty and they replaced it no questions asked. The replacement works fine. I had a fitbit charge hr for awhile and it wasn't very durable. They replaced it once, it broke again and they wouldn't replace it because it was past one year from when I bought the first one. I think some of the better ones are okay though. So after all that, I don't know the best answer obviously! Lots of info but no conclusions.

Lisa, your slow and steady run forever seems to have worked well for recovery too. I'm taking at least a week off after my December race. Keep the ideas and advice and random thoughts coming, I am loving all your input.

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

Seloc

Damaris - ugh on the no sleep!  That's been happening to me a lot lately.  And I'm not even tired.  For me I think it's just that I get SO MUCH sleep.  Go to bed earlier than acceptably gramma early due to boredom.  I always chuckle at your "0 or 7 mi" haha.

Cathy - sweet miles, speedy!!  Does running fast in the dark make you feel even faster?  It does me and I kinda like it haha.  Sorta fun about the home improvement projects.  Well, not the expense but it'll look good when it's done!  I take it DH is pretty handy?  I'm debating what I should do next.  Thinking shower.  Maybe.  Remove the insert and do tile.  But will probably wait until late next year.  Spending my moolah on trips in early 2019   Taper is still a month away.  I'm only hosting TCM, not running which I am SUPER stoked about!!  Richmond is Nov 10th.

Kat - SAHWEEET on the free battery and low hassle since they came out to install.  Woot!!

Lori - go slay Bertha!  hee hee I couldn't resist.  No help on the HRM.  I bought one made by Epson (yep the printer people) earlier this year.  Wrist version.  It does the trick but I don't love it so wouldn't recommend it.  Sorry.  But maybe for your "do not buy" list?  haha

Lisa - dang, girl, no chafe, no blisters, AND can walk up and down the stairs??  YOU are ahMAZing!!  I'd say you found a niche for SURE!!  That's awesome!!  LOL I had to laugh about not being able to tell it was a hill in the dark.  Yoga sounds perfect.  I SO need to stretch out these hips.  Getting down into the third world squat is almost impossible right now.  Ooof.

Lizzie - yeah who knows about the crappy run.  Mostly it's my entire posterior chain that has been in pain for about a week.  I need to stretch the hip flexors to try to fix the piriformis.  I always eat pretty piss poor dinners so that shouldn't have mattered.  I'm exceptionally low on all food products right now but have ZERO desire to fix that.  Sigh.  That's crazy about everybody buying all the water, bread and batteries.  I can understand water and batteries but bread??  Everyone have French toast on the menu?  LOL  Awwww your cute mountain lion kit kat.  Maybe he just wants a little lovin from you!!  Hope the CC with mama bear goes well!!

Karen - dang nice miles today!  Way to get them in between all the puppy stuff!  I just laugh at all that.  So stinkin cute!  And you are such a good mama.  Has Huck been doing okay with the potty?  You are mostly tile, though, right?  Only guessing cuz it's TX and all.  Easy clean up!  Gosh what cute cute boys.  Ooooh, Boggle is fun!  Haven't played that much but we used to play this online word scramble quite sometime back.  You have to try to get the big word before time is up to get to the next level.  SUPER fun!  I suspect you would be GOOD at Scrabble - after you learn how to build on words and have a feeling for the 2 and 3 letter word lists   LOL way to solicit Damaris for puppy duty since she isn't sleeping much haha that cracked me up.

As I mentioned to Lizzie above, the food stuffs at my house are more limited than usual.  Might be beer and nuts for dinner cuz heaven forbid I go to the grocery.  Ugh...  

judyruns

Mighty Mouse

Monday I got in 45 minutes running in a cold spattering rain out the trail and in the park. I walked 25 minutes after that with my running buddy and did stretches. Now that we are getting cool temps it has been so much easier to run! Who knew? 
                    Today I plan a run out the trail in rain but it’s about 60°. 
                    Happy runs, All! 

Where is the "any" key?   

judyruns

ginnyb

Checking in late today.

Karen, the Riley/Huckleberry videos and pics make me smile!  Keep them coming. Good idea to ask no sleeping Damaris to come let dog out, love it!

Lisa, definitely found your niche!  Fast recovery.  Your body is afraid you are going to do that again and yelling “feed me, feed me”. I may have to come up more often to run trail with you.  Not that bad of a drive.

Kathryn, funny thinking it was Monday.  Yay on the car!

Sandy,  sorry for the crappy run.  Oh well, they happen.

sorry that is all for me, I’m using my phone and I can’t type on the damn thing!  Popcorn making in my immediate future.

ginny

http://ginnybess.blogspot.com/

6/8 Hatfield/McCoy Half, 8/18 lake Erie Shores and Islands Half, 9/21 Mighty Niagara Half Lewiston, NY, 10/7 Cleveland Rock & Roll Half 10/6 or Detroit Free Press 10/20, A Christmas Story 5 or 10K Cleveland 12/7, Santa Hustle Half Cedar Point 12/15

Arimathea

Tessa

Karen, I will bring my Scrabble set to Brazos Bend! LOVE Scrabble. So does SIL. Sandy, Kat, consider the gauntlet thrown down!

Liz, glad the hurricane may not hit you, but worried about all the people in southern VA and the Carolinas.

Sad news. I found Nimrod dead in the sleeping box yesterday evening. Not sure what went wrong, but she was not gaining weight and the foster coordinator isn't answering texts nor is she picking up the phone. I tried the main number and they said someone would call me back shortly -- that was at 10 AM and as of 8:30 PM nobody had called. I'm a bit concerned about that. I am also afraid we're going to lose one, maybe two more (Nutella and Noodle), they aren't gaining as they should either. There isn't much I can do about that other than syringe feed them and try to keep them warm and comfortable.

Cathy, an ultra with a 3 mile loop course? Have fun. (I already have Wisconsin!)

Kupcakes, hope the race can go on. Also hope they cancel if it really isn't safe.

3.2 with RN this morning. Again no gym. I had a meeting right after lunch.