Womens Running

I have to get out there this morning, Tuesday (over 40) (Read 286 times)

Arimathea

Tessa

Ginny, thanks for describing the memorial. I am so glad you and Susan and Lisa went. And I’m glad there were lots of people there to pay their respects and console her family. I’ve been to a few funerals where there has been almost nobody there, and that is so sad.

Which half are you doing?

Judy, I hope you can take the Ghosts back since you’ve only run on the track on them, aren’t they neutral/cushioned? From the sound of it you need more stability, which seems odd since you are so small and light. Do you have high arches, medium arches, or flat feet? (And I don’t want to hear “umm…I have Golden Arches”.)

Lisa, thanks also, I’m glad you and Ginny met Karnel at Stomp the Grapes and that pictures were taken. Those children will have trouble remembering a lot about their mom as they get older and the photos may give them more of an idea of what she was like.

Susan, thanks also to you. Her poor parents. Nobody expects to bury their child. And it happened so suddenly. You are right, thoughts and remembrances will be even more needed a little while from now. Do you have any idea when the children’s birthdays are?

Carolyn, I’m composing in Word and referring to RA as I go, since you can’t scroll up for the full thread in this site when in a post. And definitely take your time, back and neck issues are not to be taken lightly!

Does anyone know if you can increase the number of posts on one page? It looks like it defaults to 15? And is there a character or space limit for a post? *says Miss Novel Length Race Reports*

Hi Marjorie, nice work on the 10.6! Hi Karen!

Camille, kudos for honesty regarding the race time. You think the course was short?

Susan, what is Pilates fusion? Seems like everything is being labeled “fusion” these days, especially food. Now if they could just develop safe and usable nuclear fusion…

I hear you on the Christmas sewing. I have a tree skirt that needs binding and needs it quickly since “get tree” is on the calendar for the 9th!

And where is it your mum lives? I know your dad is in TX.

Julie, happy anniversary! Sure you can do some running…chasing him down. *insert mischief emoticon here*

Amy, can I ask, why 48 minutes on the elliptical? Just curious.

Four miles this morning with neighbour and Mr. Neighbour. He sets a fast pace. 4 rolling miles in under 40 minutes, and I know he was slowing it down out of deference to me. But it was good! I'm still amazed that they have always run the exact same route from their house, never exploring other directions. (I intend to go another direction completely tomorrow.) Will do some more at lunch and then I have warned DS that he is expected to do a couple of miles with me this evening. Neighbour was laughing Sunday when she saw me jogging very.slowly.indeed with DS walking alongside. He will need to work up to running. But he has a definite spare tyre and we agree he needs to do something about that. DH is beyond hope.

Happy runs!

Arimathea

Tessa

Karen, sympathy. Not sure I could write lots of interesting things about asphalt. How about a recap of the ongoing debate between running on asphalt and running on concrete? List of best and worst trees for pushing up pavement, along with maybe a reader contest for pictures of uprooted pavement that you could publish in the next issue? Is there a reason why we use yellow lines for the middle of the road and white lines for the edge?

RunningSister

Favorite Sister of All!

Good Morning Ladies!

Thank you in a HUGE way to Ginny, Lisa and Susan for representing us.  I believe it had to be a tremendous comfort to Bill and the family knowing how far Karnel's spirit reached.  Thank you all for the update. Keep us posted on whatever we can do to help in the future.

Judy--Neat that you are testing shoes--amazing how they can all feel so different.  Good luck with the 12's!

Tessa--I have been posting on RA for a long time.  I set up a private group years ago for my family and running buddies and we post on that forum so once I saw the women's running group listed on FB I knew how to get here.  I have used this site for my training log long before ads and the Garmin plug-in.  Philly was another PW in the race department--I just keep getting slower LOL  4:37:09--It was a really nice course and I really started out slowly so as not to burn out and DNF--I felt responsible for finishing since I am the one who begged my brothers to run it!!  That would have stunk if they all got medals and I didn't!! I have Disney coming up and I definitely want to enjoy that one as well!  When I finished Boston in 2011 I swore I would never run another marathon!! Oh well! Bummer about DS and the choir at Disneyland.  Yikes that is expensive.  Nice job on the TM run--I hate when time gets the best of me!

Julie--That is terrific that you not only found a state-of-the-art track but a running buddy to boot!!  Yaay for you!!  WTG on persevering in the nasty cold not to mention the long walk home--cool-down is an understatement!!  HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!  So terrific to be with a "keeper"  We will celebrate 13 in Jan and I feel the same way.  Have a great day!!

ajdx5--I was slow on the take as well!  Good to see you!  Hope the foot starts cooperating.  Nice that you got 3 in--better than nothing!

AG--Love the bike!  You are really running strong.  I continue to swear that I am not running anymore Disney runs and here are 2 more on my plate.  Yaay for 2014--Goofy then BOSTON!! You will love the Boston Marathon.  Have a great race on Saturday--I see another PR in your future!  You are an inspiration!

Cindy--Good luck in your HM this weekend!  Hope you scored some deals with Cyber Monday!

Ginny--2nd in AG is great!  That happened to me once--they missed a runner and I went from 3rd to nothing!! Great job on getting out there for 3 today!

MMR--love the virtual race idea--keep us posted!  I'm in!

Susan--So neat that you found a quaint, clean hot dog joint--I love hot dogs although I don't eat them often!!  Sounds like a nice way to unwind.  No doubt our struggles with running are nothing compared to what Bill and the family will face in the months ahead--keeps the tough runs in perspective.

Carolyn--sounds like you are being smart--no point in making anything worse.  Feel better soon!

Camille--Amazing how they could be so far off on the race timing.  Guess it's all part of the learning process for them.

CrazySue--OK--you are way ahead of me with the Christmas planning/shopping.  I am working so much that I will probably have to cyber shop some of it--bummer, because I do like picking out the perfect gifts for friends and family.  I think I only have 5 days off this month -- ugh!!  Great that you had the chance to sleep in--love rainy weather for that!

Marjorie--WTG on the 10+ today.  Great way to start the day!

Up early today after getting home late from work last nite.  Promised running buddy we would hit the trail at 0700--oh how I wanted to sleep in.  Had a nice 5-miler with her usual negative splits almost sprinting at the end--and she says I push her LOL--we push each other and have a great time running together!!  Taking car in for service then DH dropping me off at work.  Still unpacking and doing laundry from Thanksgiving.  Running a HM this weekend but as a 16-mile training run.  My other RB is running Disney with me and we figured we could do 3 prior to the race then run it--at least it is local and they provide the water and the route!  A lot less to think about!  Plus the tech shirt is nice!

I will try to check back this afternoon.  Have a great day and happy runningCool

Julia

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Keep Running! Cross the finish line! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Anonymous Guest

Tessa, you can't scroll up, but you can scroll down and see all the posts on the page while you're posting. I don't think you can go to other pages in the post (at least I haven't figured out how), but you can see everything on the current page, it's just counter intuitive because they are below your post window instead of above.

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

RunningSister

Favorite Sister of All!

Karen--It has always seemed a little backwards to me but I go used to it over the years!  At least there isn't all that spam. Neat pic!  Like Tessa's asphalt ideas!! Creativity was never my strength!!

Tessa--Sounds fast to me--4 miles of hills in under 40.  I can't imagine never venturing off my regular routes. I like to see different areas and maybe even find a neater route!!  My DH is also beyond hope in the running department!  Good luck with DS and the running!!

Here is a pic from the post Philly Marathon!  I am the short one!!

Post marathon medals

Here is a pic from the wedding the following weekend:

Wedding

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Keep Running! Cross the finish line! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ginnyb

Tessa...I am doing the Santa Hustle here in Sandusky on Dec. 16.  First time they have had it here.  Hoping that Lisa and Karen just may join me.

No Christmas sewing for me.  I and the sewing machine do not get along at all.  I have a few things I would like to knit for the grands, hopefully, I will get it done.

Seems to be a few of us who had trouble with their times at the 5K's we ran last week.  I havent' heard from the race coordinator since my email, but I figure I did my part in "fessing up".  I didn't get a prize or anything, a ribbon with 1st place is all, so I am hoping no harm done.

I suppose I should be working.....

Ginny

http://ginnybess.blogspot.com/

6/8 Hatfield/McCoy Half, 8/18 lake Erie Shores and Islands Half, 9/21 Mighty Niagara Half Lewiston, NY, 10/7 Cleveland Rock & Roll Half 10/6 or Detroit Free Press 10/20, A Christmas Story 5 or 10K Cleveland 12/7, Santa Hustle Half Cedar Point 12/15

Tar Heel Mom

kween

Tessa, I brought my iPod with me for the elliptical, and the song that started when I was at 47:15 or so was something I didn't really want to listen to. So I rounded up to 48 min. then quit. That's usually how I decide how long to spend on the elliptical, when I get tired of my music, I stop and then do some weights or abs.

Nolite te bastardes carborundum.

ginnyb

CrfazySue...funny you mentioned the Chex-mixathon!!!  I started this weekend.  Problem is that I cannot stop eating the darn stuff!!  I can't even tell you how many batches I will make between now and Christmas, the family loves it and I only make it this time of year.  My youngest son came into the kitchen and said "it must be Christmas, mom is making the chex mix"   It is such a vivid memory of mine the first time I had chex mix...I was probably about 6 or 7 and we were visiting friends of my parents and their kids were making it, it smelled sooo good.  Hmmmm I have gone on, havent' I?????   Just a good memory.

Ginny

http://ginnybess.blogspot.com/

6/8 Hatfield/McCoy Half, 8/18 lake Erie Shores and Islands Half, 9/21 Mighty Niagara Half Lewiston, NY, 10/7 Cleveland Rock & Roll Half 10/6 or Detroit Free Press 10/20, A Christmas Story 5 or 10K Cleveland 12/7, Santa Hustle Half Cedar Point 12/15

camille2

Taking a break...Thursday afternoon I'll be working away. I seem to need the adrenaline rush.

Chex mix...is it the kind with powdered sugar or chocolate or just the salty snack?  I made "white trash" for people last year using chex.

Ginny, I'm doing a Santa Hustle in the Smokies on the 9th.  The pics look like fun!

Tessa, I  think the course was short. After correction, they had my time as 27:18 and my watch was 27:33 (never get it hit quite right).  Again, I wish if were true, but I don't believe it.  Haven't had those kind of times this year. Miss the garmin. It got my hopes up though and I think I'm going to do another one this weekend just to see.  Good for you for getting your son out.  I'd also vote for him paying the difference in tickets.

Julia, love the pics!  Lovely wedding shot.

Karen, another topic...preventing cracking from water/ice. ..when to seal it.  You've prob done these over and over...

Tessa--the class is called "Centergy" and is a mix of pilates and yoga.  It really wipes me out.  Alot of balance and flexibility moves.  I am not flexible at all anymore!  Maybe it will help.  I over did it the past couple of weeks and my lower back let me know it!

Mom lives in Dallas.

Ginny--When I first started baking Christmas cookies and Chex mix for everyone my kids told me that was the stupidest gift ever.  Now not only do they steal bags when I am not looking, they request bags to give to their friends and take to their parties!  I just make the salty kind, but I use Tony Chachere's season salt for a little kick.

Arimathea

Tessa

Mmm, Chex Mix. And Muddy Buddy. Yum. *wipes drool off keyboard*

7.04 in 65 minutes on the TM today, alternating 2 minutes easy, 8 hard for 60 minutes, then a 5 minute cool down.

And trying to learn a new document management system at work. I don't think it will last all that long, but it's a mighty pain in the neck right now.

1.29 miles for me this morning.  I slept late. Sue me.  LOL  Better than nothing.

Need to pack for a 2 day work trip to Chicago. Will bring run clothes since staying in hotel across from Millenium Park (a place people run according to my niece).  Clueless at this point.

Nice runs ladies.  Bought me some serious running socks over the weekend.

Nothing says "speed" like a pair of donut socks.  Oh yeah.

Lisa

LC Runs

Hi Ladies!

I just found the thread - haven't run since Sunday so not much to post on that front.

Ginny, Lisa, Susan - you are all awesome for paying tribute to Karnel, I am still in shock over her passing.  Thank you for representing and being there for her family <3

Hope to post a daily tomorrow, just have to convince myself to get out of my warm bed lol

Laura Smile

Disney freak

Hi everyone!

You guys are busy around here.  I wish I had time to read during the day, but I teach elementary kids, and don't get to sit down!

Yesterday I took a rest day from all exercise.  Today, I started a new week on my Couch to 10K program.  Whew, it was tough.  I don't know if it was the increase in length, or going to bed late last night, or both.  But, I made it through all the running intervals.  They were run 0.8, walk 300 yards. (repeat 4 times)  Didn't seem like a huge difference from last week (run 0.5, walk 300 yards, repeat 6 times)

We'll see.  I'll go to Jazzercise tomorrow, which is always good at stretching out all my muscles, and I'll attempt the same run again on Thursday.

Sorry to hear about your friend's passing. It seems like you guys have known each other for a long time!

Lisa Marie

• first 5K on 12/8/12 - 39:14
                              • first 10K on 1/12/13 - 1:23:45
                              • upcoming races: Hypnotic Donut Dash - 1/26, Hot Chocolate 5K 2/9, Rock n Roll half relay 3/24
                              • training for Big D half on 4/14