Womens Running

Tiptoe Into Tuesday (Over 40) (Read 19 times)

judyruns

Mighty Mouse

Post. Smile

Where is the "any" key?   

judyruns

judyruns

Mighty Mouse

Monday I dashed to the trail after work and got in 35 minutes. It was 60 degrees, but no sun so it was cool and breezy. It was a great run. Leaves are starting to fall and that is my favorite outside running time.

Today will be a run down in the park after a few errands.

Happy runs, All! :::HUGS:::

Where is the "any" key?   

judyruns

ginnyb

Have not posted for a little while, but ran the Mightyniagara Half on Saturday.  DH and I left here early Friday morning , arrived at our Friend's house in Lewiston NY around 1.  It was a beautiful Fall day.  She is a knitter too, so I went to her knitting circle at the libraryAfter that went back to her house and went to pick up my race pacet.  Picked up the packet at Niagara Falls outlet mall....great mall!  One of the best I have been.  Lots of stores that we did not explore, but next time.......We then went for a fish fry, which Western NY is known for, not exactly a before race meal, but delicious!   Sat at a table overlooking the Niagara River and Canada across....beautiful and fun.  Went to bed around 9:30.  Woke up to pouring rain, I mean pouring.  Race did not start until 9, only about a 5 minute drive away.  Stood in the rain with DH for, what seemed like hours, race did not start until 9:15.  I have to admit, there were a few times , during that wait, that I really, really, just wanted to go back to the house and forget the whole thing!  It was not cold thankfully, nor windy, but sooooo darn wet!  Finally kissed DH and got underway.  I started our quite slowly, even slower than usual, up a small hill and started running through the town of Lewiston.  There was an older gentleman, running with the 2:30 pace card, but he was going slower than I was, so I am not sure what that was all about.  I heard someone ask him if his pace was going to be about a 12 minute mile and he said no, more like 15, so again, I do not know what was going on.  I never saw him again and I was not going fast!  Right away, another man was asking is there was anyone running around his age, which was 74, I was right there, so I said "well I am about 10 years younger"  We ran together for a while.  He was running his first race in over 10 years, we were going about the same pace.  He was worried about his shin splints.  Very pleasant man, talked about a lot of things, his profession, genealogy, we would connect up quite a lot during the race.  Came to mile two quite quickly and my friends were standing on a corner with several other people....I could hear them yelling my name about a half a block away!  It was great, never had anyone cheering for me before during the race.  I kept hearing  Ginny from OHio!  My friend said she didn't even know these people, they just asked her who she was waiting for and said they would cheer for me too!  It was so nice!  Still pouring rain, but you know after a while it doesn't even matter, except I could not see out of my glasses.  I kept taking them off and trying to wipe them off, but it didn't really help.  I finally gave u p and ended up putting them in my little thingy around my waist.  I could see better without them.  At this point we are passing some gorgeous homes along the Niagara River.  We followed this same road for a long while, would have been really beautiful had it not been pouring.  About mile 5 those same people had parked and started cheering me on again...that was a surprise.  Went through anaother small town and entered a park...I am feeling okay, but going slower than normal, my legs just felt heavy today.  I never ran completely alone though, someone was always around me.  I did pass some people at this point, as usual, around mile 10 the feel started cramping, I wish I could solve this problem, but it happens every time.  When that happens I start to worry about the calves cramping again, and I got some twinges, but they never did.  The course was quite flat until miles 11 and 12  (why do they do that?)  NOt big hills, but the way I was feeling by then, they might as well have been big.  I knew I was not going to have a good time, and I started to get down on myself, thinking can't I ever finish strong?????  Oh well, we entered another park and were told to go through the woods....only for about maybe 50-100 feet I think, but it was muddy and then the finish.  My DH and friends were there and after I got my medal I saw the other people again who had been cheering me, they were yelling Yay, Ginny from OHio, thanks for coming here to run!  It was neat!  I went over and thanked them.  Got my chocolate milk and sloshed to the car.  I could feel the water sloshing in my shoes.  I don't think I have ever been so wet!   It never stopped pouring for a minute during the run.  Never stopped the whole day, broke a record for the most rainfull up there in one day.

Had a really wonderful time and we think we may make this an annual affair.  Hopefully next year it won't be raining.

Really, really sore too around the hip area and hamstrings.  Getting better though.

Ginny

http://ginnybess.blogspot.com/

6/8 Hatfield/McCoy Half, 8/18 lake Erie Shores and Islands Half, 9/21 Mighty Niagara Half Lewiston, NY, 10/7 Cleveland Rock & Roll Half 10/6 or Detroit Free Press 10/20, A Christmas Story 5 or 10K Cleveland 12/7, Santa Hustle Half Cedar Point 12/15

LC Runs

Happy Tuesday!

4.5 miles this am, cold but not windy so it wasn't bad.  I am so dreading the snow and ice... yuck

Judy - have a nice run tonight

Ginny - Great Job on your race!!  I think that pacer was way off with his mile splits, 15 minutes for a 2:30??  I"m not great at math, but that equals out to like a 3:20 time.  Glad you bypassed him Smile

ginnyb

Pic of Shirt and Medal.   I really like it1

http://ginnybess.blogspot.com/

6/8 Hatfield/McCoy Half, 8/18 lake Erie Shores and Islands Half, 9/21 Mighty Niagara Half Lewiston, NY, 10/7 Cleveland Rock & Roll Half 10/6 or Detroit Free Press 10/20, A Christmas Story 5 or 10K Cleveland 12/7, Santa Hustle Half Cedar Point 12/15

Yay Ginny!!!  Sounds like you had a good race, despite the rain.

Rode my bike last night and walked the dogs.  No run this morning, it was pouring rain.  Truck is still in the shop, so DD brought me to work.  Should be ready by lunch.

Have a great day!

Anonymous Guest

Heading downtown for a day of meetings with my future coworkers and their members at thei fall meeting. Won't get home until 8 or so tonight so I ran today's 10 yesterday and will take a rest day today. Nervous about the meetings, especially the reception tonight where I will hardly know Anyone.

Great race and report Ginny. Sounds like you had a good time despite the weather. And agree with Laura, that pacer was way off...3:20 instead if 2:30 - maybe he was dyslexic!

have a great day all.

karen

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

runlikeagirl18

Good morning ladies-

I did my speed workout today instead of tomorrow since I have to travel for work tomorrow. I was worried about how it would go - I usually don't run the day before a speed day, and yesterday I ran 6.3 miles - but it went better than I expected. I did a 2 mile WU, 2 x 2 miles with a 1 mile recovery in between, and a 1 mile cooldown. I wound up hitting my target pace of 8:45 for all but one of the fast miles, so I'm pleased.

Judy - fall is the best time to run!

Ginny - love the shirt! Nice job sticking with it in lousy conditions. You ARE mighty!

Laura - I don't blame you for dreading the winter. I'm so lucky here that I have winters I can easily run through.

Crazysue - sorry you got rained out.

Karen - I'm sure you'll do great in the meetings. Just think of all the times you've gone to races where you didn't know anyone and wound up making friends!

I'm off to surprise DS3 and have lunch with him at school. All three boys have been complaining that I haven't had lunch with them yet. Have a great day-

Cindy

Cindy

2017 Races: Turkey Strut 5K 11/23, Mistletoe Half Marathon 12/2

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

10.6. Travel day. I'm getting in a plane now.

Be back in a bit.

Marjorie

Quickly popping in to say great job Ginny!  I enjoyed your RR and agree that's a nice shirt.  When running in the rain, there comes a time when you just can't get any more wet so there's no point worrying about it!

Hi Judy, LC, CrazySue, Karen, Cindy and Marjorie!

Waves to everyone else to come!

4/14/24 Napa Valley 50k, Calistoga, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

I'm at my hotel and have done a bunch of work etc.  Flight was on time so that is a good thing. Got through middle ATL before the traffic really got bad.

Ginny great job in tough conditions.  From FB glad the tip worked for the shoe drying.  I have to do it frequently with travel etc I often get my shoes soaked in rain and need them to dry as fast as possible.

Nice job Cindy

Hi Gatsby

Hope the meeting went well Karen.  I'm sure you will meet plenty of folks.

Marjorie

Docket_Rocket

Hi!  Busy day for me and I ended up taking a URD because it was still 105F and 77DP at 5pm.  I want this over!

Ginny, congrats and great pics.

Hugs to all!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

LC Runs

Karen  - I'm sure you did great  meeting your future co workers!!

Hi Sue, Cindy, Marjorie, Damaris, Gatsby....Big grin

Ugh, have developed a head cold, so skipped Fusion class tonight.  Am still planning on running in the am, meeting a friend early morning.  7 more work days woot woot!!

Arimathea

Tessa

Ginny, good for you! It takes a lot to run in that kind of rain. How nice of the other people to cheer for you.

And looking at the shirt, as long as nobody had a sign saying "How are the mighty fallen!"

Laura, you are really consistent in your running.

Susan, hope the truck is ready.

Karen, good luck meeting your future coworkers.

Cindy, good speedwork!

Marjorie, safe travels. That shoe tip really works.

GatsbyBird and Damaris, hi!

I have had the morning from hell.

4 this morning with RN, then two more miles while the pharmacy filled a prescription. On the run I nearly caused an accident because I had the nerve to cross the street in a marked crosswalk when there was a constant stream of cars headed for the freeway. One driver stopped for me, as is the law in California, and the woman behind him laid a lot of rubber on the road in a hasty stop. She was blessing me out, too.

Home. DH has been demanding all morning. Bed to chair, then he was complaining over and over that his tailbone hurt. Of course it does. He has a bedsore and he is spending day and night with his weight on it. He ordered me to remove the dressing because he said it hurt, then he wanted to stand up. He did, with my help and with the walker, then overbalanced and fell. Twisted his neck, nasty skin tear on his left elbow and two smaller ones on his forearms, and we could not get him up. Got him sitting but not standing, then he wound up back on the floor again. He blamed me for not being strong enough to pick him up and put him in the chair. (I weigh 120 pounds, he weighs 130. And he's 8 inches taller than I am. I can't lift that much deadweight.)

I had to call the nice men at the fire department to come and pick him up. They wanted to transport him. He refused. Loudly, vocally, and profanely. Did I mention that he shat his diaper when he fell and I'd just finished changing him when EMTs arrived? I wanted them to put him in bed, he wanted to be in chair. His wishes took precedence. They bandaged his cut and suggested again that he go to the ER, he refused, they left and just as they departed the social worker arrived. She told me what I already know, we make too much to qualify for any in-home help other than what we get through our insurer. I would have to pay out of pocket. Ditto for board and care or other facilities. She called the home health care to report the fall, home health called DH's PCP, PCP also said DH should go to the ER. He refused. He kept complaining of neck pain but didn't want to do anything except complain that I couldn't get his pillows comfortable. I think by the end the social worker was ready to put one over his face, despite being a mandated reporter. She also assessed his treatment of me as verbal abuse. PCP is getting another call to urge him to refer DH to hospice.

Which I think would be the best thing, especially if it includes pain meds to make him more comfortable.

At least I have managed to avoid buying wine and peanuts, both of which are pointy weaknesses in the evenings.