Womens Running

Angel Food Cake WEDNESDAYS (DAILIES) (Read 20 times)

Cathy--you are so right!! I need to get rid of the crap!!  WHY do I have a bag of caramels on my desk???  They are calling me, but I feel like crap and I think they are part of the problem!!  Evil!!

Docket_Rocket

w

Lizzie, nice you were able to get out for a few miles and feel like you want to do another!!!  Enjoy the massage after work.  Kinda jealous.  I love angel food cake, but like you, it has been ages and ages.

Karen, you are getting a cold front already??  We don't cool down until next Monday.  80's all week.  Have a good run later.

Sue, good luck on breaking the junk food habit.  I am terrible at it.  So convenient.

Sandy, sorry you are sore, hope your run tomorrow is successful!!

Diane, best to your family in FL.  Let the weather stalking begin!!

Damaris, I didn't get into London either.  I've applied probably 6 times.  I suppose when I am ready to spend the cash, I will try Marathon Tours and pay out the nose.  I guess it is hard to get on the tour too.  Sigh.

Judy, enjoy the trails and new book.

Lori, I take it GC was a decent race if you are going to join us!!!

Ginny, I might be running the half at GC too.  Just depends on whether I think I can do the full in the 6 hour cutoff.

Just got back from a short 3 miles, not a bad pace though for walking.  Disappointed.  The new shoes are fine, but aren't going to be a major game changer I fear.  We shall see tomorrow as I am hoping for a few more miles.

I really have nothing of interest today.

K

I was going to sign up with Marathon Tours earlier this year but at almost $4K I said FTS

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Arimathea

Tessa

Susan, get the caramels off your desk. Take two for yourself, then go stick the rest of the bag in the break room.

Poor mullet. I'm sure the foxes were delighted to make its acquaintance though.

Ginny, how do you keep from cracking up with questions like that? That one rivals the call the California Earthquake Authority (insurance facility) received:

"Do you have a map of the undiscovered earthquake faults of California?"

Think about it a minute.

Kat, good for you. assert yourself. If they are walk ins they are being seen on an "as we can squeeze you in" basis. The people with appointments should be seen first, unless the walk in is for an emergency. I think most of us have patience when we know that next time we might be the emergency. Sort of like not being too annoyed at the OB/GYN if you have to wait for a checkup, because they are responding to unpredictable situations a lot.

Liz, counting light bulbs? WHY? And why would it be your job? Talk to the person who actually changes the damn things.

Damaris, sorry you did not get into London. I think there are very few entries that aren't either through a group or through charity.

Cathy, agree, avoiding the crap is very difficult.

Lori, good luck with the monitor. Hope everything is OK.

Karen, I know I need to put a check in the mail to you, waiting for some money to come in. Thanks for your patience.

Lisa, he really said that? Some people cross the line from assertive to arrogant. (There's also another "a" word in there but that's a noun...)

3.8 this morning. Conference all in 1 minute.

dhuffman63

Trails

https://ultrasignup.com/register.aspx?did=61123

New ultra in OK.  I used to do competitive trail with me horse here.  I really like the area.  As it's the first year I think I'll pass and see how it goes.  The 100 has a 36 hour cutoff.  I've asked what the 50 mile is but no answer yet.  The trails remind me a lot of Hawk.

3.3 miles for me this morning. Arms were sore from the Vinyasa class last night and I cut it short from my normal 5 or so miles... yes because of sore arms. LOL DD from Miami is in town (and NOT loving the weather) so we went together. She wants to go again tonight. Will have to hold back on the arm stuff or I'll really be in pain!

Glass City plans...

• I will be able to host folks at my place Friday night (earlier too if you need it). I'm close to the airport. I can pick up easily. Not a ton of room but there's room. 
            • Saturday morning I (and so far Margaret) are planning to run The Trail half marathon that is out near where Abhay lives. 3.5 hour course but I know the sweepers don't really cut people as long as you're moving. Depending on who is here we could probably stay at his place Friday night so as to be closer to the race start. Registration opens in November. 
            • Then early afternoon drive to Toledo. Could also pick up folks from the airport on Saturday on the way. Toledo is about an hour maybe 1.5 hours away. Expo and we have 3 hotel rooms reserved. I can probably borrow Abhay's van so that would fit up to 7 in it.
            • Sunday race. I also have the rooms reserved for that night if we opt to stay until Monday.
            • Monday in Detroit.. I have room again. I can drop off at airport. 

Just throwing that out there so that you know Margaret and I are planning on the half Saturday morning.

Diane-I've added that OK race to my list for February! I'm supposed to do a 50mile or 100k but not go hard. I have a few others that I was looking at but OK would be more than OK to get. LOL Especially if you were doing it too. The pictures are sure pretty! I wish I could get down there for Pumpkin to join you!

Tessa-nice miles this morning. The half is on the trail we went on after Pinelands.

Damaris-yeah for doing Glass City too! I know it's all paved. I am making a huge exception to my no road race rule. I don't think there is even a dirt shoulder like Missoula had. LOL I'm sure it's fairly flat. Toledo isn't too hilly but there may be bridges since there is a river.

Judy-happy trails!

Lori-Looking forward to pacing you at Woodstock and on the training runs!

Ginny-at least with four seasons we have different things to complain about. Nice showing up and getting it done!

Cathy-that's a lot of fartleking. LOL

Kat-what exactly is going on with your feet?

Sue-step away from the cara-hells. LOL

Liz-the most angelic of cake days. LOL

Karen-It was still hot this morning. And we did Hot Vinyasa last night so you know I am pretty much a dehydrated prune. LOL Without a commute it's understandable you are behind in podcasts. Plus you have that screen thingie on the wall to watch.

Sandy-cold bleachers... blech!!

Lisa

dhuffman63

Trails

Lisa maybe the HM or the marathon but I need to know the time limits first.  That area is pretty though.  Maybe not in Feb though.

ginnyb

Lisa where are staying again for Glass City?  I am only an hour away too, but i doubt anyone is flying into Cleveland, but if you are I have room at my house and can pick up at airport.

Ginny

http://ginnybess.blogspot.com/

6/8 Hatfield/McCoy Half, 8/18 lake Erie Shores and Islands Half, 9/21 Mighty Niagara Half Lewiston, NY, 10/7 Cleveland Rock & Roll Half 10/6 or Detroit Free Press 10/20, A Christmas Story 5 or 10K Cleveland 12/7, Santa Hustle Half Cedar Point 12/15

Lizziebeerunning

Cupcake Connoisseur

Snooze fest over here today. Figures..

Karen – Bummer that cold front won’t be there for the 10 mile race! Yes, you should run it easy  Smile Oh, and if you change your mind about Richmond, you are always welcome! Understand DH not wanting you to go.  Smile

Susan – Man, quitting the junk food is hard. Just get it out of your house! That helps! Hope those hands heal fast!

Sandy – Ugh on your booty! Smart to rest if you are hurting. You WILL have a good run tomorrow  Smile Still no sun over there? Geez! I saw Davis Tire posted something about the snow!!  Smile Mammel did ask about my race but then turned it around to how good he was at something. I say something because I didn’t listen to the story. He is out of control lately with the ego. He needs a reality check! I am hoping HCF gets his butt out on the Richmond course. He says he always misses me when he spectates.

Diane – Hmm, your weather looks great for race day. 40% rain showers I bet will go away. Busy at work is a good thing

Docket – Man, your chafe must be real bad! Did you use body glide or anything? Hope it feels better soon!!

Judy – Have a good run today!

Ginny – Nice workout this morning! I hope your trainer sends you a text or something if he can’t make it. Or maybe he doesn’t on purpose so you will still get to the gym?  Smile You and Cathy are going to ROCK the GC half.  Sometimes it takes me 5 miles to warm up..ugh. LOL on the chips calling you  Smile

Cathy – Nice run this morning! I bet those legs are tired! When do you have a rest day?? You are in for a big temperature swing tomorrow. No doubt Mr Math could do a 3:30 marathon. So jealous! Do you even get centipedes up there?! I was amazed on how many bugs Sandy DID NOT have! Jealous.

Kathryn – Nice job getting out there! Sometimes it takes a few runs to really know if a shoe works well.

Tessa – Nice run this morning!

Lisa – Aw, have fun tonight with DD. Sore arms is a good thing!! Smile Thanks for offering your place for us to stay! And for a ride! I haven’t finalized any plans yet. I do know I will not be doubling Smile

Have a good afternoon everyone!

October 4 - Milwaukee, WI - 26.2

November 14 - Richmond, VA - 26.2

March 21 - Virginia Beach, VA - 26.2

ginnyb

Liz...for group training, which this was supposed to be, I usually have a different trainer.  today I was the only one who showed up...

Ginny

http://ginnybess.blogspot.com/

6/8 Hatfield/McCoy Half, 8/18 lake Erie Shores and Islands Half, 9/21 Mighty Niagara Half Lewiston, NY, 10/7 Cleveland Rock & Roll Half 10/6 or Detroit Free Press 10/20, A Christmas Story 5 or 10K Cleveland 12/7, Santa Hustle Half Cedar Point 12/15

Bikerchick1

The “Glass is Full” finally registered......I figured if a couple of you were doing The Trail Half on Saturday, and then the full...I needed to “suck it up buttercup” and do the full!  Plus will be fun to be running with ...or in my case following all of you running!

Logistics wise I will be driving, and traveling south thru Michigan, so can work out something for airport pickups and drop offs.  I haven’t, but will reserve a room at where Lisa has rooms. That way there are more open beds for those that want to share rooms.  With all my night time commotion especially before a marathon...I need to be in solitary confinement...LOL.  This is going to be awesome!

Had a crazy work out day yesterday 2 miles on the track, then body sculpt, than 4 mile on our little mounds that we call hills, the. Mowed lawn!  The temp was well over 80 and so humid!  It was a 3 shower day!

Sorry no personals today...dentist, mammogram...too much fun for anyone!

Carol

Seloc

Carol - you crack me up!  I'm laughing in my cube at your "night time commotion" and "too much fun for anyone" LOLOLOL  Needed that today so THANK YOU!!  And HOORAY for Glass City!!

Docket_Rocket

Woot, big FE at Glass City!

Liz, I used body glide and vaseline the whole race. It didn't help.

RR:

On Sunday, I ran the Chicago Marathon, the marathon that was to be my 50th lifetime marathon and the last one for this year.  However, since I had to DNFd the East Canyon Marathon in Utah, due to breathing issues caused by the high altitude, Chicago ended up being my 49th.

After Utah, I started back with speedwork and some faster workouts rather than the hill workouts I was doing in the last few months. The change of pace was welcomed and it was a bit of fun.  I ran some 5K intervals that gave me hope that if I ever go crazy and want to race another 5K, that I could get back close to my PR pace.  But like Jack Sparrow says: 

I've been having some bad headaches, and a couple of extra migraines in the last few months, which I'd attributed to the high blood pressure (I'm back on the meds, thanks genes!), but it ended up being that my 20+ year old root canal is failing and I need to either fix it or extract the tooth and do an implant.  On top of that, one of its roots was infected, which was causing a lot of ear and head pain.  It still does, but not as often thanks to the antibiotics I had to take until the night before the marathon.  Between that, the blood pressure, and what came after, I am not surprised I didn't have much in me to try for this race, except lots of fun.

We arrived in Chicago on Saturday at noon, as usual, and headed straight to Yolk for a bit of brunch.  Yolk is amazing and they have opened more of their restaurants around town, which makes us happy (the lines are always long so more Yolks make that better).  My husband, who was here but not running ate like he was the one running the marathon, while I had their Mac & Cheese:

Overall, once again, one of the best meals in town.

After brunch, we headed to the expo, where I was set to meet a fellow forumite from RWOL, Runny Babbit.  As we got off the bus, we try to catch up the light which still had around 10 seconds to cross and my foot got caught on a street grille.  The bad leg, of course, doh.  Immediately, I went like this:

Emu Take a Tumble

And ouch.  Both my groin and the bad knee were immediately sore.  I entered the convention center limping.  Yay me.

I did meet Runny Babbit and we have PROOF:

I got my bib!

By the time we got back to the hotel, I was still limping but less so.  Then my husband told me he had a horrid cold, while coughing all over me.  Bless his heart!!!

Woke up 300 times throughout the night, to sirens, honking, non-stop.  I wonder if I was back in PR, it reminded me so much of it. But alas, slept a bit from 4am to 6:30am and got ready.  One of the advantages of staying right across the street from the start and finish at the Congress Plaza, is being able to sleep through 7am and then head to the start, but as usual, I hardly slept but I felt OK.

I got ready and picked my KK donuts from the fridge, only to realize they were FROZEN.  I try very hard to eat one donut, but the most I could do was a tiny piece before I quit.  Oh, well.  I should have known how the day was going to go just by that.  At least I still had my Mtn Dew!

Headed to the corrals at around 7:30am (Wave 2 starts at 8am so I had lots of time).  Tried to meet a friend from my INKnBURN Alumni group but we were unable to get together this time. Waahhh.

Met my local running friends in our corral and took some pictures:

It was around 60F and cloudy, and it was not supposed to get any warmer than 62-63F throughout the race.  Although that is still too warm for marathons, it was probably the best Chicago Marathon weather in the last five years, so I'll take it.

At this point, my groin was quiet but I had not tried running yet.  My knee was achy but no more than normal, so I was hopeful.  I was also stupid to think so, lol.

And we were off! I love this race and have been able to run it in the last six years (my first Chicago was a DNF due to a ruptured cyst). The city really comes out for this 26.2 party and I've never realized how cool is this party until Sunday.  The first few miles went North through downtown, which means the GPS watches do not work.  I tried to keep an easy effort and when I finally checked my pace (after Mile 5 when things calm down), I was actually going at my easy pace.  However, by Mile 5, my groin and knee were not happy.  I decided to continue until they either calm the fuck down or get worse.  That lasted until around Mile 9.

The rain started as Wave 2 was to start and it didn't let up for the first 17 miles or so.  My feet were soaked and I had to stop often to clean the debris coming into my shoes and socks since I used no show socks this time.

Once I realized I didn't have a fast race in me (probably not even an easy one) due to the pain, I decided to join the party through the next 17 miles.  And party we did.  I crossed the half at around 2:26 and it only got slow from there. I was fine with that.

Halfway!

I also met so many INKnBURN Alumni, our local Run 1000 Miles Club, and RA friends along the way!  I never get to see many folks while running, but this time I was looking for peeps and I found them!

Pilsen and Chinatown had competing parties.  Not sure who won it but both were amazing:

Then, I finally saw beer on the course!  It only took 23 miles!

There are lots of Puerto Ricans in Chicago and there has never been a race where I have not seen my "bonita bandera".  Found it after Mile 23:

And with less than a mile to go, I finally got to eat something:

Man, running a marathon without any KK donuts sure took it's toll!

I finally headed to the finish line with sadness that the party was over for me.  But the volunteers and the parties were still going strong for the many corrals and waves behind me.  This city sure knows how to party!

And done!  5:35:05, not even my slowest Chicago.  I've never had a good Chicago Marathon race, between the DNF, the heat, the asthma, etc.  So it was nice to just have fun on this course and really enjoy the city.

And with the fifth Chicago finish, I earned Legacy and guaranteed entry for 2019.  I can't wait.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Half Crazy K 2.0

So sleepy. this getting dark earlier and still being dark when I get up sucks. Did 5 on the treadmill.

Lizzie, from the other day, one of the in-laws ordered pay-per-view unknowingly. DH set up the parental control so it shouldn't happen again.

CrazySue, you can send the caramels my way. On second thought, don't. Cause I can polish off a bag of those easy.

Docket, your RR makes Chicago sound so fun.