Womens Running

(Over 40) Jan weekends are done (Read 28 times)

runlikeagirl18

Laura - I had other kids in and out of the house alll day, so the noise level was definitely up!

Linda - today's 6 is the furthest I've ever made it on the treadmill; I don't know how people do long runs on them. It really did help to have my running buddy to talk to.

Karen - that bread sounds yummy!

Lisa - I don't think I would say you "should" do more with the grands. You have raised or are still raising your children, you have a full-time job and an challenging marriage. You have a gracious plenty without feeling guilty about taking on your stepson's responsibility. Beautiful pics from the run!

Gatsby - it's supposed to be in the 60s here by mid-week. We can get such swings here in the winter. I'm lucky enough to be able to run outside most of the time, though. I hope you feel better.

DH and I are trying to watch the shows we have stored on our DVR - we've been having problems and need to have the DVR replaced, and they can't transfer the shows you have recorded from one DVR to another. Working our way through NCIS now-

Cindy

2017 Races: Turkey Strut 5K 11/23, Mistletoe Half Marathon 12/2

Hi Miss you all...thought I would come over to say hi!

Nothing much new... too much work to do... My dad's white blood cell counts are up again (not good) - he has non-hodgkin's lymphoma.  Still dealing with the pain in my inner thigh area... sometimes its fine.  other times it is so bad I can barely walk.  Stretching really helps.  Been doing a lot of swimming, which also helps. Kids are fine... not sure if I told you all.... Jeff made Eagle Scout in Dec.  (actually on my brother's 50th birthday)... Simon is also well.

I will try to write more often.... I'm sorry I'm so bad.

Susan

P.S. The reason the school can't talk to you is FERPA (don't know what the acronym stands for but its the privacy act that prevents colleges from talking to parents - even if the kids are under 18).  MSU allows students to give parents permission to see certain things - but they must set that up.  We would get monthly notices when a bill was uploaded.  All we could do though was pay it... couldn't see grades or even the courses we were paying for.

Julie_D

Fire Jumper

Hello all!   I'm back from the Adirondacks!  I'm just gonna say, for the record... IT WAS COLD!!  One day the temp got UP to .5 degrees.   We did manage to get outside once and do some snowshoeing.  That was nice.  And, even though we were inside most of the day, it was incredibly beautiful to look at.  I added some pics to share.

I'm not going to make my running goal this week due to weather and travel.  So, I'm going to have to really hit it over the next week to make my monthly goal.  I leave on Tuesday to go to Florida and see RB#1.   The Warrior Dash is one week from today!  Wooo hoo!  Bring on the mud and the fire.

I was going to write personals, but quickly found that a few days away from the forum, and I have no idea what's going on.  So, I'll just say hello for now.   I hope you're all doing well.  I'm sure that when I'm through these two weeks of travel, I'll be able to catch up with all the news!

Here are some pics:

Kayaks in winter

The world as seen through -11

The view across the lake

Be well all!

Julie

5K's and Obstacle Runs

Goal for 2013:  10K

Icebreaker Challenge 5K, Girls on the Run 5K, Friehofer's Run for Women 5K, Hero Rush, Warrior Dash Florida, Warrior Dash Eastern NY, Turkey Trot,  Mud Mania, and yet-to-be-decided goal 10K.

camille2

Good morning!  I'm home and the temps are pretty nice now and there's a gorgeous full moon!  It was fun to read the last couple days to catch up, but I'm also not going to do complete personals-it makes thread so long!  So...hello to everyone I miss.  A few though...

Laura, did you notice we missed you?  Glad you're OK and back.

Lisa and Julie, I really enjoyed the pics!

Gatsby, hope you feel better soon!

Susan, so sorry about your dad's blood counts.  My bro-in-law has lymphoma, but it's is in remission again.

Linda, 16 800's?  Woo-hoo!!  Then a 10 miler?  You rock!

I only got in a couple miles each day (long days)  and plan an easy run today.

I have to share a bit about the quilt workshop for Tessa and Sue! Sue, yours sounds pretty cool, too.   This was all demo and lecture. Is the one you are going to hands on?  It got me pretty excited about quilting again, even though most of their stuff is waaaay beyond me.  Tessa, the Lehman's spell their names differently-Leman was the QNM founder.  Libby is the threadplay gal.  Tessa, here's one of her jokes for you.  Q Do you know how to  spot a blind man in a nudist camp?  A It's not hard.  A link http://www.libbylehman.us/QGallery.html.  Ricky Tims did most of the teaching-lots of new techniques. Here's a link to some of his.  http://www.rickytims.com/quiltgallery/quilt-gallery-1996-now  I've commited to  a couple charity baby quilts and am going to try one of his convergence and one of the caveman style tulips ones before I forget everything. : )

Linda

Camille:  I did 200's. I definitely can not do (16) 800s.

IG profile @lindasig_runs

Headsweats Ambassador Discount Code  "LINDASIGRUNS"

Over 45 PR's:  5K - 21:21, Half - 1:39:49, Full - 3:33.47

Anonymous Guest

Morning all,

Waiting for it to warm up a little before I go out for today's easy 8. Think I'll head over to the bike path - probably still some icy/snowy areas, but at least I won't be competing with cars for the dry spots. Going to test out my new Brooks Adrenaline GTXs. I got them a while back and have been waiting for some crappy weather to try them out. Will wear them today and again for my trail half marathon next weekend - the plan is to wear them for Mt. Mitchell, but only if I get a few miles on them first.

camille, sounds like the quilt thing was fun.

Lisa and Julie, nice pics. Snow and ice are pretty in pictures, I just don't like dealing with it in real life.

Gatsby, link to the bread recipe is here.

I figured out last night that the 50K I'm running in AZ in a couple weeks is the same trail the use for the Javelina Jundred. I'm running 2 loops, that race is 6.5. Hmmm, I will have to pay attention in case I ever want to try a 100.

Hi to all!

karen

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

HI!  Couldn't get online yesterday----Uverse problems.  15 months till my contract expires!

Did 6 miles yesterday and had a great 10 mile run with buddy.  We kept up with the guys for the first 6 miles at about a 9:15 pace but stopped for a potty break.

Had a great sew and knit afternoon yesterday.  Worked on a quilt till I ran out of a specific fabric.  Then worked on my latest sock.  Turned the heel, picked up the stitches along the heel flap and knitted the gusset!  Yay!  It worked the first time!!  That is the most difficult part.  Gotta clean house today.  Bathroom first, will vacuum after Deuce the hairball leaves.  Also need to cut the grass and would like to make kumquat marmalade but that may have to wait till next weekend.  Camille--The quilt seminar sounds like alot of fun!!  The one I am going to in March has three days of workshops.   I'm taking my sewing machine and prepping fabrics for the classes.  A couple of my friends went to that last year.  I would love to meet Alex Anderson ( professional quilter and teacher).

OMG--DD sent me a pic of where Gracie ATE the carpet yesterday!!  The girls didn't take Gracie to the Mardi Gras parade.  Apparently Gracie was not happy....

Lisa--would be hard to watch the family situation but you cannot do everything for them.  They have to want to change and be willing to put in the work.  Sad that they do not see the big picture.

Susan--I just told DS2 that HE will have to pay attention because I cannot "mom" him at school anymore.

Sunny here and will be near 70s.   Opened the windows.  Ran in shorts and t-shirt.  Crazy warm winter for us.

Bikerchick1

Morning!

Back from sunny Florida...had an amazing week, I flew home with DD and family,  Make a Wish provided a limo service to bring us home....it is about a 2 hour drive from airport so we had a great time.  DH stayed in Florida for a couple of weeks to visit his family.

Out for 8 miles this am with RB's....was snowy and chilly, but beautiful.....now off to get some groceries and back to reality...sigh...

Carol

Just stopping in for a quick hello.   I think my cold is a teeny bit better, thanks for the well wishes.

Carol, glad to hear the trip went well.  Try to hold on to the good vacation feelings as long as possible.

CrazySue, enjoy the crazy warm weather.

Karen, thanks for the recipe!  I don't do much cooking but like quick breads, especially variations on banana bread.

Camille, I know nothing about quilting but I least I got the joke. Joking

Julie, beautiful photos.  But brrrrr.  Florida should be a nice contrast.

Hi Susan.  Sending good wishes for your Dad.  Congrats to your son on Eagle Scout.

And hi to everyone else.  Enjoy your Sunday.

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

LC Runs

Hello!!

8 chilly miles this morning, at least the sun was shining Smile  Leaving for a bit to see a movie and go out to dinner with BF.  We're going to see "Parker" with Jason Statham, ohh la la  Wink

Hi Cindy!

Susan - sorry about your Dad, thinking of you

Julie - beautiful pictures.   I am starting over this week, as well, have cut my running in half over the past two weeks.  Cannot wait for spring

Camille - the moon was awesome last night, I was out picking up kids and noticed it.  Thanks for the nice words!

Hello Linda!!

Karen - contemplating a 100 mileror 100k?   You are awesome!

Sue - nice mileage this weekend!

Carol - welcome back!  Too funny, I ran 8, as well.  Maybe next week I can meet up with you all!!

Gatsby - glad you are on the mend!

Linda

I signed up for my longest race to date--25K--trail --next weekend Big grin

Hi LC.

IG profile @lindasig_runs

Headsweats Ambassador Discount Code  "LINDASIGRUNS"

Over 45 PR's:  5K - 21:21, Half - 1:39:49, Full - 3:33.47

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

Susan thinking of you and your dad.

I did 22.5 miles.  It was in the 30s when I left but I dressed for how it would be when I ended.  It was 50 when I finished.  So wore shorts and short sleeve tech and arm warmers and gloves.  Arm warmers were rolled down at 12 miles and the gloves off at 18.  It was a good run.

Karen how is Jake?

Cindy having someone share the tm sure would make the time go faster.

Lisa your pics are pretty but I don't want snow.  Fully understandable not getting involved with ss and the kids.

Julie those pics look chily!

Sue I think uverse has a lot of problems.  People in our neighborhood have issues all the time.  One reason we will never switch to it.

Hi Gatsby hope you are feeling better.

Carol at least you didn't have to drive home too!

Laura we are going to the movies today too.  Will leave in a few minutes.  I bet the 8 was chilly!

Linda good for you with the 25K race and the 200's

I'll be back for personals that I missed.  Hope Tessa is doing well at her race!

Marjorie

Tar Heel Mom

kween

Hi, I had a busy day yesterday and today. A Bat Mitzvah and party yesterday morning and afternoon, then 9th grade retreat starting at 6:30 last night, It's not a sleepover and I wouldn't stay if it were. We left at 11 and came this morning at 9 till this afternoon. The theme was healthy living ("Fit to be a Jew") and I did get a work out with them for about an hour. It was a kind of boot camp based work out with stations hitting different body parts and I was sweating like crazy by the end. And I am in better shape than 75% of the 15 year olds there.

Karen, that banana bread recipe sounds amazing! Keep it away from me!!

Susan, thinking of you and your dad. I can see my DS's grades and classes but he did have to give me specific permission to do it. It was in his best interest to do so.

Lisa and Julie -- your snow pix are beautiful but make me glad I live in the south.

Carol, so glad you had a great time in Florida. It sounded like an amazing trip!

Marjorie, wow! 22.5! I guess these are good temps for it. I wouldn't want to do it in the summer!

Bragging time! Here is an article about my DS's a cappella group at UNC. Sababa

Nolite te bastardes carborundum.

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

Back from the movies.  We went and saw Lincoln and enjoyed it.  We never go to the movies so it was nice.  Dh thought it would be good to get away from dad.

Amy it is so sad really, how out of shape most youth is now a days.

Camille the quilt workshop sounded fun.

Marjorie

Julie_D

Fire Jumper

Greetings, all!

I ran 4.25 miles on the indoor track at a decent pace today.   It was a great run.  I felt strong throughout.  I have six more miles to make my monthly goal.  So, I'll probably run tomorrow, travel on Tuesday, and then drag RB#1 out for that last push on Wednesday.  I think after that, I'm on recovery for the Warrior Dash. 

Thank you for the comments on my chilly pictures.  It was a beautiful and pristine place to visit.  When I go there in August for our summer planning retreat, I'll share pics of that too.  

On a more somber note; A friend who has been a fellow traveler on the road to recovery, died yesterday.  Those of us in the recovering community are in mourning today.  I hate this disease of addiction.  It robs our communities and our families of some of the best and brightest God has to offer.  She had four children.  I would appreciate thoughts and prayers for her family.  Thanks!    

Honestly, I think that's why I ran so long and so hard today... a mix of anger and sadness.  A good hard run is better than a drink (for me).  I am grateful for a healthy outlet.  

Be well, all... and hug someone you love a little tighter. 

Julie

5K's and Obstacle Runs

Goal for 2013:  10K

Icebreaker Challenge 5K, Girls on the Run 5K, Friehofer's Run for Women 5K, Hero Rush, Warrior Dash Florida, Warrior Dash Eastern NY, Turkey Trot,  Mud Mania, and yet-to-be-decided goal 10K.